1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[ORAS NU] The Wu-TANG Clan

Discussion in 'Rate My Team' started by Draciel, Dec 2, 2015.

Moderators: Edna, fsk
  1. Draciel

Draciel ALLEZ! ALLEZ! ALLEZ!

PO Trainer Name:
    Neo
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hey guys! Welcome to my 2nd NU RMT. It’s been a while since my last RMT and a whole bunch of tier changes have happened in the meantime; and it’s needless to say the metagame has changed drastically since then. There has been a distinct lack of RMTs in general, so I decided I would share this team I’ve been having lots of fun lately. It has always intrigued me how unappreciated Tangrowth is despite being capable of performing multiple roles superbly, even in higher tiers; so I decided to build this team around the underrated Specs Tangrowth. The team doesn’t have a lot of accomplishments, but I peaked the ladder with it unbeaten and it also did reasonably well in server tournaments. I’d say it’s a pretty solid team; however, it does require some prediction and an overall aggressive mindset in order to try and keep the pressure on the offensive mons that threaten the team. Now let’s get down to business:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (12:22:36) ±Porygon: Your rank in ORAS NU is 1/1141 [1373 points / 26 battles]!

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Originally this team had 2 different mons including Mega Camerupt, but since the latter got suspected (and likely to be banned) I remodeled the team without it.

I mentioned before I wanted to build around Specs Tangrowth, so it’s obviously the first mon in the team.
    [​IMG]

Next up I needed something to check fighting types, so in comes Musharna which can also perform as a Calm Mind sweeper late game.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Added AV Magmortar to check Vivillon, it’s also a superb wallbreaker.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Added defensive Registeel for Stealth Rocks, and also as a check to Sneasel/Klinklang/Vileplume/Vivillon
    [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

Needed a spinner, so added Kabutops which is definitely the best spinner in NU. It also hits extremely hard with LO, and I have a FWG core!
    [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

Lastly I added Sneasel as a fast sweeper for cleaning up late-game, not to mention it’s an amazing mon in NU at the moment.
    [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Thanks to fren @Lasen for the pic!

Tangrowth (F) @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Regenerator
    EVs: 168 HP / 252 SAtk / 88 Spd
    IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Giga Drain
    - Leaf Storm
    - Focus Blast
    - Hidden Power [Fire]

The star of my team, the mon I wanted to build around. Tangrowth is criminally underused in the tier, considering how amazing of a mon it can be in NU. It excels at performing a variety of roles, and Specs Tangrowth is nothing but a monster. Leaf Storm is absurdly powerful, and unless you resist it or have insane special bulk chances are it’s gonna nail something for at least 80% damage. Giga Drain is the alternative STAB when I dont need to risk Leaf Storm, whereas Focus Blast and HP fire provide the much needed coverage (Focus Blast 2HKOes Registeel, HP Fire does ~65%+ to defensive Vileplume and Escavalier, it’s main switchins). EVs are self-explanatory; 88 Speed EVs allows it to outspeed and smack standard BU Scrafty, and other 60 base speed mons with no investment.

[​IMG]
    Thanks to fren Felix (@Lollicon ) for the pic!

Musharna (M) @ Colbur Berry
    Trait: Synchronize
    EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SDef
    IVs: 0 Atk
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Psychic
    - Signal Beam
    - Moonlight
    - Calm Mind

Musharna is my fighting check, and it can also perform well as a Calm Mind sweeper late game. It has amazing physical bulk and can take on most physical attackers 1v1; Signal beam is my coverage move of choice because of it’s ability to hit opposing Psychics like Mesprit/Uxie super-effectively, although Dazzling gleam is a decent option as well to beat Spiritomb 1v1. Colbur berry is the best item on Musharna allowing it to switch into Banded Sawk Knock Off without fear, also it can 1v1 LO Sneasel with the berry intact; and I chose Psychic over Psyshock because Bulk Up Gurdurr might become a pain otherwise.

[​IMG]
    Thanks to fren @Ice Tea for the pic!

Sneasel (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Inner Focus
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Swords Dance
    - Ice Shard
    - Knock Off
    - Icicle Crash

Sneasel is probably my favorite NU mon atm, with unmatched offensive potential. Decent attack stat with access to SD, coupled with amazing speed means it’s the best late-game cleaner in the tier. Among Knock Off/Icicle Crash it hits everything for atleast neutral damage and Ice Shard is for priority to revenge kill faster mons like +1 Vivillon. Eviolite is an option over Life Orb since it allows Sneasel to set up more effectively, but I like the raw power LO provides and it hits hard right off the bat. What else can I say, I love Sneasel :]
    [​IMG]
    Thanks to fren @Alio for the pic!

Magmortar (M) @ Assault Vest
    Trait: Vital Spirit
    EVs: 104 HP / 252 SAtk / 152 Spd
    IVs: 30 HP / 30 SAtk
    Mild Nature (+SAtk, -Def)
    - Fire Blast
    - Thunderbolt
    - Earthquake
    - Hidden Power [Grass]

AV Magmortar is a great mon, and for good reasons. With AV equipped and some HP investment, it becomes reasonably bulky on the special side, and can tank powerful special attacks like Specs Boomburst from Chatot with ease. The EVs are kinda important for this: 152 speed EVs allow it to hit 240 speed, which outspeeds max speed Adamant/Modest Samurott (239 spd) and max speed Clawitzer, and 104 HP EVs give it additional bulk to prevent 2hko from a +1 Vivillon Hurricane. Fire Blast/Thunderbolt/HP Grass provide perfect coverage, and Earthquake is useful to hit the Lanturn switchins for solid damage (2HKO on SpDef Lanturn). Alternatively, a 252 SpA/252 Spd Hasty build can be used too for a more offensive approach but I prefer this bulkier spread.

[​IMG]
    Thanks to fren @NananaBatman for the pic!

Registeel @ Leftovers
    Trait: Clear Body
    EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SDef
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Stealth Rock
    - Thunder Wave
    - Iron Head
    - Seismic Toss

Standard defensive Registeel, which is also my best Sneasel/Kilinklang/SubCm Mesprit check. With this spread it can live a LO Close Combat from Virizion easily and then proceed to Twave it. Iron Head is useful for the infamous para-flinch, and seismic toss for consistent damage against Set-up mons with substitute.

[​IMG]
    Thanks to fren @AFK Vision Ward for the pic!

Kabutops (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Weak Armor
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Aqua Jet
    - Stone Edge
    - Knock Off/Waterfall
    - Rapid Spin

Another underrated NU mon, and the best spinner in NU hands down. With Sneasel and Magmortar in the team I wanted a reliable spinner which can’t be spinblocked easily; and Kabutops is just what I needed. With LO Kabutops hits extremely hard, for example it can 2HKO max def Spiritomb with Stone Edge. Weak Armor is a very useful ability for Kabutops, as it can easily switch in on a resisted physical attack and gain +1 speed. Knock Off/Waterfall is a matter of preference really, but Knock Off provides more utility; and Aqua Jet provides some much-needed priority for picking off weakened foes.

[​IMG]
    Tangrowth (F) @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Regenerator
    EVs: 168 HP / 252 SAtk / 88 Spd
    IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Giga Drain
    - Leaf Storm
    - Focus Blast
    - Hidden Power [Fire]

Musharna (M) @ Colbur Berry
    Trait: Synchronize
    EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SDef
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Psychic
    - Signal Beam
    - Moonlight
    - Calm Mind

Sneasel (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Inner Focus
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Swords Dance
    - Ice Shard
    - Knock Off
    - Icicle Crash

Registeel @ Leftovers
    Trait: Clear Body
    EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SDef
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Stealth Rock
    - Thunder Wave
    - Iron Head
    - Seismic Toss

Kabutops (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Weak Armor
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Aqua Jet
    - Stone Edge
    - Knock Off
    - Rapid Spin

Magmortar (M) @ Assault Vest
    Trait: Vital Spirit
    EVs: 104 HP / 252 SAtk / 152 Spd
    IVs: 30 HP / 30 SAtk
    Mild Nature (+SAtk, -Def)
    - Fire Blast
    - Thunderbolt
    - Earthquake
    - Hidden Power [Grass]

[​IMG]

That's it folks. Not gonna do a separate threatlist because Mega Camel/Sneasel/Magmortar/Sawk/Virizion threaten pretty much every NU team one way or the other. As I have mentioned already before, this team requires some degree of prediction to perform well but it's a very fun team to play with. So try it out and get involved in NU more! it's a fun tier I swear :]

Not gonna do individual shoutouts again, but to my friends in Frost Cavern/Susielou's/Rage Channel/Skynet/Indigo: love y'all.

Peace.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  2. AFK Vision Ward

AFK Vision Ward Life's a Struggle when there is so much Pressure

PO Trainer Name:
    AFK Vision Ward
    I heard the powerful artwork gives these pokemon extra EVs in battle.

3. Weavile

Weavile Phoenix

Kabutops does not constitute a member of a "core" Registeel is literally a better water type as far as your core goes.

Adamant Band Sawk gets a kill or irreparably cripples something every time it comes in if Mush has lost more than like 15% HP. Knock Off twice does 75% to Mush on two absolute min rolls. I don't know what people do to deal with Sawk these days, or if people run Adamant (I never did), but yeah even Jolly Band is giving you some problems. You probably realised this a long time ago.

Other than that it looks like fun if a bit too slow for its own good.

Draciel likes this.
  4. Draciel

Draciel ALLEZ! ALLEZ! ALLEZ!

PO Trainer Name:
    Neo
    The 'FWG core' thing was a joke :^]

Sawk is a threat to everything but it's very rarely Adamant so I can tank 2 knock offs with Mush. It's not coming in easily on any of my mons either so there's that, I did encounter many Banded Sawk and had to play around them carefully. Thanks for the rate :)

5. Lacus Clyne

Lacus Clyne This might get unpleasant!

PO Trainer Name:
    Lacus Clyne
    Peaks #1 and still sucks at the game! You Indian BONDEEEEEE
    Solid team tho.

6. Edna

Edna Chasing the Dragon Forum Moderator Forum Moderator

PO Trainer Name:
    Edna
    smh, why do you only build teams so.. good?

Draciel likes this.
  7. Oh So Penspin

Oh So Penspin Hail RNGesus, our Lord and Saviour!

10/10 would buy the artwork for $$$

I know jack about NU, but looks good!

Haze Victory and Draciel like this.
  8. Duster

Duster dodgerswin 2018

ms fat booty was still a better name

Draciel likes this.
  9. Kite

Kite hi

PO Trainer Name:
    [TR]Kite
    Hey draciel nice team you got there, I use it to good success on ladder, and in tours.

10. G00GLE

G00GLE G00GLE THE SEARCH ENGINE

PO Trainer Name:
    G00GLE
    Hello Draciel Grats for ur another RMT.Team seems nice.But sorry i don't have knowledge about this Tier to Help, anyways Grats! :). - [SD]Frostic Storm.

11. La.Melle2402

La.Melle2402 I'm the bone of my sword

I really like this team, so im gonnna try it for NU Event now lol

Kite likes this.
Moderators: Edna, fsk