1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[ORAS UU] VERY STALL (1400+ points)

Discussion in 'Rate My Team' started by AndyPertamax, Dec 5, 2015.

Moderators: Edna, fsk
  1. AndyPertamax

AndyPertamax Monofly master race

PO Trainer Name:
    AndyP
    I feel like stall is underused in the underused tier. This is my UU stall team. The goal of this team is to just do chip damage to the opponent until they forfeit. This team is an adaptation of this team with some changes to make it to the UU tier.

IF YOU MEET THIS AT TEAM PREVIEW JUST FORFEIT AND MOVE ON WITH YOUR LIFE
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

In Depth

[​IMG]
    Ditto @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Imposter
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Transform

Setuping is the best way to destroy stall teams, and Ditto is the best way to revenge kill it and their whole team. On OU, IV on HP and Def must be set to 30 to ensure HP ice. However this is not mandatory on UU since special birds are much less prevalent. Happiness can be set to 255 so you can revenge some variant of Slutpuff that run Return instead of Frustration. Against good player, the threat of Ditto is enough to stop them from setting up boosts. Just because you never get to sweep with Ditto doesn't mean it's a bad Pokemon.

[​IMG]
    Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Thunder Wave
    - Seismic Toss
    - Aromatherapy
    - Soft-Boiled

Blissey is arguably the best special wall in UU. Before Blissey enters UU, I used Florges but always have trouble dealing with Nidoking. Blissey solves this problem. Thunder Wave is rarely used since Magic Guard is not very common in UU and I'd rather Poison/Burn a mon rather than Paralyzing it. However, Thunder Wave allows Blissey to keep her health high in 1v1 matchup against Psyshock users since you can heal up any damage, striking only when the opponent is fully paralyzed. Just spam Seismic Toss if you unsure what the opponent might switch in.

[​IMG]
    Claydol @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 124 SDef
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Stealth Rock
    - Rapid Spin
    - Ice Beam/Toxic
    - Trick

This is the mon I usually lead with(2nd option is Ditto). Tricking a Stealth Rocking opponent is just amazing. Trick on any Pokemon at all is fine, since a choice locked Pokemon is much easier to deal with in a stall team. Previously I used Donphan on this slot, however problem arises when enemy used Spikes/Toxic Spikes since Donphan will eventually die from hazards alone. Claydol resist Stealth Rock and is immune to Spikes. The Ice Beam is almost never used, it's just there as a filler. Can't even 2HKO defensive Salamence. You can change it to something like Toxic if you prefer.

EV is set such that the Defense and Sp.Defense is just off by 1. I haven't experimented a more physical;y or specially defensive Claydol, but at this state it already does it job just fine. No speed investment since with Choice Scarf it's already enough to outspeed Jolly Smeargle and most Stealth Rock user in UU.

[​IMG]
    Alomomola (M) @ Rocky Helmet
    Trait: Regenerator
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Scald
    - Wish
    - Toxic
    - Protect

Alomomola is still annoying as ever. Rocky Helmet is the item of choice to punish every physical attacker, mainly U-turner. Setting up on this is risky since you can just poison it and it will die before it kill you. Even if they somehow managed to get +6 and kill this, there's always Ditto. Scald is Scald, 90% burn rate when enemy use it, scald is broken, pls ban scald, etc. With Protect, you can scout for move like Psyshock and Trick just so your Blissey have a better chance of staying relevant. Wish is just a great supportive move to keep you and the others healthy.

Alomomola is the main switch for all physical attacker in the tier. With this EV, nothing can even 2HKO. The worst move you can switch-in to is Knock Off. Try to switch-in to other mons instead if you are absolutely sure the opponent will use Knock Off. With Regenerator, you can laugh at any attempt of those physical attackers trying to leave a dent.

[​IMG]
    Aggron (M) @ Aggronite
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Heavy Slam
    - Earthquake
    - Ice Punch
    - Thunder Punch/Toxic/Rest/Roar

The mega of choice is Aggron. Aggron is the preferable switch-in against Knock Off users and Florges. Even with only 4 EV Dev, Mega Aggron's defense is 496 if I remember correctly. With 252 EV in Attack, this thing will hit the opponent hard. Some people expect this to be a really defensive set and they fearlessly switch-in the frail sweeper, only to get hit by Heavy Slam in their face. Earthquake is a very amazing coverage move since it hits Steel, Electric, and Fire types which resists Heavy Slam. Ice punch is useful against Dragons. Thunder Punch is theoretically used against water types, but it turns out that it hits almost nothing. Empoleon and Swampert is much rather be Earthquaked. Physical waters like Sharpedo is handled nicely by Alomomola. You can probably change it to Toxic or Rest. Roar might be useful to phaze stuff as @NananaBatman suggested.

You can safely bring this into Slurpuff since +6 Drain Punch does not OHKO after Stealth Rock, and you can kill it with Heavy Slam after Belly Drum + Sitrus.

[​IMG]
    Tangrowth (F) @ Rocky Helmet
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Leech Seed
    - Toxic/Substitute
    - Knock Off
    - Giga Drain

This paired with Alomomola provides really nice Regenerator abuse. Even with maxed out Sp.Def, it still has higher Defense than Sp.Def. It's just a nice mon to switch-in on annoying subbing ghosts, since Blissey and Alomomola can't touch it. Also, this counters Swampert. Just make sure to not Knock Off the Choice Scarf you gave the opponent with Claydol.

As @Haze Victory suggestion, it might be more useful to give Subs to Tangrowth for extra annoyance.​

Conclusion
    This team is not hard to use, but is very hard to beat. Against this team, some amazing prediction plays will be necessary to win. Sacrifice mons if necessary, but don't sacrifice mons you might still need (like Blissey against a special heavy lineup). I would post a threat list if the template exists.

±Porygon: Your rank in ORAS UU is 5/4636 [1425 points / 69 battles]!

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Imposter
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
    IVs: 30 HP / 30 Def
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Transform

Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Natural Cure
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Thunder Wave
    - Seismic Toss
    - Aromatherapy
    - Soft-Boiled

Claydol @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 124 SDef
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Stealth Rock
    - Rapid Spin
    - Ice Beam
    - Trick

Alomomola (M) @ Rocky Helmet
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Scald
    - Wish
    - Toxic
    - Protect

Aggron (M) @ Aggronite
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Heavy Slam
    - Earthquake
    - Ice Punch
    - Thunder Punch

Tangrowth (F) @ Rocky Helmet
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Leech Seed
    - Toxic
    - Knock Off
    - Giga Drain

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  2. NananaBatman

NananaBatman Well-Known Member

Tbh u could just slap every fightning type in the threatlist (minus cobalion because it isn't very offensive).

You have no good fightning resist, nothing for sub cm chandy and ice beam cune 6-0s you. I recommand getting rid of claydol entirely and using something like Salamence which can actually check fightning types and provides defog support (defog is so much better than rapid spin on stall, even more so when its coming from Claydol which is easy to spinblock). Also the scarf claydol is painfully obvious so there's that. Doing this removes your ground immunity, so I'd suggest using Mega Steelix over Mega Aggron, and give it stealth rock. That still leaves you with the very obvious sub cm chandy weakness, but unless u remove ditto I don't think u can fix that issue.

Sets

Salamence (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 248 HP / 84 Def / 176 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Earthquake
    - Aerial Ace
    - Roost
    - Defog

176 speed allows you to outspeed all variants of Lucario.

Steelix @ Steelixite
    Ability: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SDef
    Impish Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Roar
    - Heavy Slam
    - Earthquake

Standard tank Mega Steelix. Also gives you a phazer should things get ugly against something like Snorlax. You don't need the damage output on Aggron since, like you said, the goal of the team is to chip dmg its way to victory, so I went for a defensive spread.

3. Haze Victory

Haze Victory Dem slumps..~

1400+ is quite respectable in UU.
    I'd suggest replacing Thunder Punch on Mega Aggron with either Toxic, or rest to fit your team better, as it doesn't hit anything very hard, specifically speaking. Toxic would greatly help you against Swampert and Seismifag, so that's a call.
    Also this is a personal preference, but I'd replace the Toxic on spaghetti with Substitute. Tangrowth gets really annoying that way, nd can always seed the opponent's switched in fire type with leech seed from behind the sub. Less predictions, higher reward.

Also... Is the scarf the only reason you run Claydol :/? Cool team anyway, and gratz on reaching this far.

4. AndyPertamax

PO Trainer Name:
    AndyP
    @NananaBatman Non banded fighting type is no problem at all since Alomomola can tank the hits, but I'll try the mence and give SR to Aggron. Mence is flying type and M-Steelix and M-Aggron have same typing so I'm not sure how it's removing ground immunity? If the need of phazing ever arises, I'll swap the Aggron for Steelix (or just change the moves since they are very similar). Ice beam cune is not that big of a problem since Blissey + Ditto can outlast it. Also, fuck sub-cm chandelure and anyone who runs it.
    Btw, we have met before on ladder when this team still uses Donphan over Claydol :)

@Haze Victory I'll try moving Toxic from spaghetti to Aggron and give Subs to spaghetti. Yes, Claydol is currently the weakest link but at least he get the job done most of the time. Tricking a setup sweeper means game=won. The only problem with laddering in UU is the lack of player (and therefor lack of testing against variety of teams).

5. NananaBatman

Woops I meant ground type aka electric immunity, sorry for the confusion :].

Your team is extremely weak to any special attacker that has a way around blissey tbh. I'd replace ditto for something like aromatisse so taunt hydreigon doesn't completely destroy you.
    You can choose to keep Ditto if you wish, but be wary of this kind of matchup (notable examples are Superpower Nido, NP Ape, NP Luke, NP Azelf).

6. AndyPertamax

PO Trainer Name:
    AndyP
    Another question, what's the aerial ace on mence supposed to hit? I tried using it and I'd rather have toxic on that slot instead since I only have 1 toxic user now.

7. NananaBatman

Its for SD Heracross, which otherwise mauls your entire team.

Edit: Give aggron toxic, ThunderPunch is completely useless.

8. Xdevo

Xdevo Phrasing Super Moderator Tour Director Super Moderator Tour Director

As Batman said, Fighting types run you through. Orb Hera gets at least one kill every time it switches in, CB Mienshao, Machamp, Luke, Infernape, Toxicroak (especially NP), Emboar kinda etc.

NP Luke also reks the team, and Ditto barely saves you since you're forced to use a weak Vaccuum Wave in order to not be 6-0'd.

As with all Stall teams, if CB Victini gets in, something is taking a shitton of damage, if Alo takes hazard damage + Bolt Strike, its not going to heal enough not be ko'd upon switching in again. 4 Atks Kyurem 2HKO's everything on the team with the right move. GK Infernape does the same (Specially focused Mixed I guess). I'm not 100% sure how well Tangrowth does against LO or CM Alakazam, but it can 2HKO your Blissey and Alomomola with Psyshock and Focus Blast respecitvely.

Actually Hazards + Ghosts kinda shuts the team down too, since you rely on only Regen for health and Claydol has 0 ways to get a spin even against a shitty ghost. You should probably add Wish on Blissey (even Wish + Soft-boiled is probably fine tbh) so you can't just be hazard stalled to death.

You could try Defog Gligar over Claydol, this gives you a much better answer to fighting-types (you might even want to run like AA Gligar tbh) and keeps the Electric immunity (though it's a lot riskier than Mega Steelix + Salamence in terms of covering both). But this doesn't fix the weakness to Special Nape and the other special Fighting-types. I suppose you could try Tentacruel, but it's not going to handle CB fighting types. Unless getting rid of Ditto is an option, there's not much you can do to cover both Physical and Special Fighting-types with one mon that isn't going to clash with the other mons.

As for the CM Lure weakness, the only thing I see that might work is Umbreon > Blissey, but that makes you a lot weaker to random Specs users so it's kinda ehh....

Moderators: Edna, fsk