1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

Suspect Discussion: Chesnaught (Banned)

Discussion in 'Gen 6 NU' started by Xdevo, Feb 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xdevo

Xdevo Phrasing Super Moderator Tour Director Super Moderator Tour Director

[​IMG]

Discuss the possibility of Chesnaught being banned from the ORAS NU tier.

Use this thread to discuss Chesnaught's effect on the metagame; talk about the different sets it can use, good partners and potential checks/counters. State your opinion on whether you think it should be banned, but make sure your posts are backed up by experience and knowledge. Anyone who makes post based on theorymon risks being infracted.

If you're unsure about posting check out this guide and post anyway.

Purpleseamonkey likes this.
  2. Purpleseamonkey

Purpleseamonkey PO Alt: y0

PO Trainer Name:
    y0 , y01, y02 , y03
    Chesnaught is really good both as a physical check or sweeper with belly drum. Spiky shield and spikes let it wear down physical attackers, while leach seed or even synthesis help with survivability. When running a defensive set, chesto has good offensive presence with good attacking moves like drain punch, wood hammer, stone edge, shadow claw, eq, and ice punch. With the belly drum sweeper set, chesto breaks down slower teams that don't carry a faster scarfer or can't keep up offensive pressure.

While it is quite hard to find opportunities to set up, decent bulk and a defencive ability give it quite a few safe subs and a decent attacking movepool help it force switches. Bellydrum Chesnaught has a few switch ins depending on coverage but they are all prone to getting worn down easily due to the ubiquity of knock off. The effective ways for frailer teams to deal with it are scarfers and offensive pressure because many of them can't fit a spiritomb or vileplume. On face value I think the belly drum set has enough checks to be balanced in nu; but when considering the additional unpredictably of bulky leachspikes it has me leaning more ban

Kite likes this.
  3. Draciel

Draciel ALLEZ! ALLEZ! ALLEZ!

PO Trainer Name:
    Neo
    I already posted my thoughts on Chesnaught in the potential suspects thread; I feel like it's one of the biggest threats in NU at the moment, and as such has managed to warp the metagame around it already even though it's been NU for 2 weeks (not as much as Gallade but ches ain't no pushover). It can perform both as an offensive sweeper and a defensive wall, and has all the tools to dominate NU at it's disposal.

Offensive set:

Chesnaught @ Salac Berry Lv. 100 -- Bulletproof
    Nature: Jolly - EVs: 12 HP / 244 Atk / 252 Spd
    • Substitute
    • Belly Drum
    • Drain Punch
    • Seed Bomb/Zen Headbutt
    This is the ultimate stallbreaker set, and simple to use: Sub up on mons that can't touch you or depend on status for damage, Belly drum and get the +1 speed from Salac, and sweep. Drain Punch is main STAB and OHKOes everything that doesn't resist it outright at +6, the fourth move is a toss-up between Zen HB and Seed Bomb; Seed bomb is the secondary STAB with higher base power, whereas Zen HB allows Ches to beat it's usual counters like Weezing/Garbodor while still OHKOing Scyther at +6. Once this sets up it's pretty much impossible to stop unless random scarf mons like Scarf Scyther can revenge kill, once sub is down. Bulletproof allows Chesnaught to set up on the likes of Vileplume (unless they are running HP Fire) and Drain punch can cleanly 2HKO after it sets up a BD. Overall it's a deadly set and can demolish unprepared teams on it's own.

Defensive set:

Chesnaught @ Leftovers Lv. 100 -- Bulletproof
    Nature: Impish - EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spd
    • Leech Seed
    • Spikes/Synthesis
    • Drain Punch/Seed Bomb
    • Spiky Shield
    This Chesnaught set serves a totally different purpose, that of a amazing physically defensive uitility mon. The set is self-explanatory: Leech seed for sapping enemy health, spiky shield for scouting/dealing opp damage+self recovery with Leech seed. Spikes/Synthesis/Drain Punch/Seed Bomb are all viable moves for the remaining slots, and overall this is an excellent defensive mon to check the numerous Physical attackers in the tier (although I do feel like Tangrowth does a better job with Regenerator, but lacks Spikes utility).

Tldr; Chesnaught is a dominating force in NU, especially the Sub/BD set which is very lethal against unprepared teams. The defensive set is equally annoying and hard to take down, providing excellent team support and utility while checking a multitude of physical threats bar Scyther. So I think this needs to leave NU, as soon as possible.

Kite likes this.
  4. Xdevo

Now that I've had a few matched to see Chesnaught's effect on the tier without Gallade, I can definitely say that its broken.

The Belly Drum set turns anything that can't do 50%+ into set-up bait, which considering Chesnaught's impressive bulk and plethora of useful resistances. At +1 Ches has an extremely convenient speed tier for NU, leaving only things like Accelgor able to outspeed. Drain Punch makes saccing things to it a liability, while Shadow Claw or Seed Bomb both offer rather complete coverage (+6 ches doesn't really need to worry all that much about coverage, but still). Ches has more than enough offensive presence to get a sub up against a bunch of various NU threats too. Ches also benefits from the fact that a lot of NU's priority isn't very effective against it. Sucker Punch resistance is incredibly important in a tier with Houndoom, Tomb, Shiftry, Mawile and Skuntank. Bulletproof also gives it immunity to a bunch of random moves to make things like Vileplume ineffective.

The defensive set is only particularly relevant to the NU suspect in that it can force a few things out that gives the offensive set more leeway in what it can force out (Spiky Shield + Leech is very threatening to a lot of hazard weak NU mons). Ches's near endless Spikes may prove broken, but its pretty much irrelevant in the face of the much more threatening BDrum set.

5. Xdevo

Double Post because I can.

Draciel and I have decided to ban Chesnaught. Should be on the server shortly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.