1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, due to a lack of interest, playerbase, and general desire to continue, PO will hereby cease our separate tiering and adopt Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

Best way to run Relicanth in OU?

Discussion in 'Gen 6 Discussion' started by MyTearsYourWeapon, Mar 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MyTearsYourWeapon

MyTearsYourWeapon Musical Ninja

Besides being a hard stop to Talonflame and a physically bulky Stealth Rock setter with a niche typing; what would be the ideal set for Relicanth to run in OU? I've had success with my spread, but I want to know what you guys feel would be a better set based off of OU's top threats.

My current spread:

Relicanth
    252 HP, 4 Atk, 252 Def
    Item: Leftovers
    Nature: Impish
    Ability: Rock Head (Prevents Recoil Damage)
    Moves:
    Stealth Rock
    Head Smash
    Waterfall (Thanks for the Feedback Guys)
    Protect

Inb4 use something else; not what I asked for. If that's all you're going to post, don't post.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  2. Oh So Penspin

Oh So Penspin Hail RNGesus, our Lord and Saviour!

If you want to use Relicanth as a defensive Pokemon, I'd swap out Substitute for Toxic, because Sub on a defensive mon without a boosting move is kind of a waste imo. Alternatively, you can run Waterfall, so you can hit bulky Grounds/Fightings that can switch into Relicanth. It also prevents Excadrill from coming in and spinning away your hazards.

3. OUAzumarill

OUAzumarill Active Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Mr Snake
    I'd also have to agree that the Sub is useless. You aren't setting it up, it isn't a fast but frail attacker, and it doesn't have Leech Seed or any other move that synergizes with sub all that well. Toxic or Waterfall would definitely be great choices. I guess you could also look into Scald and Icy Wind as well.

The big question I have is why Relicanth? This isn't an attack, saying "herp derp Relicanth sux noob", I'm actually asking what specifcally about Relicanth makes you want to use it. You mentioned it being a Talonflame stopper/SR setter with a niche typing. What about its niche typing makes you want to use it over say Tyranitar, Tyrantrum, or Rhyperior? Whatever that niche is, your best bet for making Relicanth worth using is to take that niche and hammer it home. I'd argue that the set you've got right now isn't viable if only because Tyrantrum pulling off the same set is pretty much just plain better.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
    Blitzamirin likes this.
  4. MyTearsYourWeapon

Thanks for the feedback guys.
    I think I'm gonna swap out Substitute for Waterfall and see how that works out.

@OUAzumarill: Well, mostly because it's my answer to Talonflame, Heatran (probably even better now thanks to Waterfall), The Zards, Kyurem-B, and Dragonite (all of which my team heavily struggle against). Also, Relicanth can take a Bullet Punch from Scizor far better (one of the reasons that niche Water / Rock typing is so nice) than Tyrantrum, Tyranitar or Rhypherior and it can then return with a 2HKO after Rocks.

252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Relicanth: 97-115 (24 - 28.4%) -- 96.9% chance to 4HKO
    4 Atk Relicanth Head Smash vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Scizor: 148-175 (43.1 - 51%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

5. Blitzamirin

Blitzamirin Waluigi! Number one!

PO Trainer Name:
    Blitz
    How is this your answer to those Pokemon?

0 SpA Heatran soundly 2HKOes you with Earth Power, offensive variants turn that into an OHKO and also 2HKO with Flash Cannon.

Charizard Y blasts you with Solarbeam while Charizard X's wisp set renders you completely useless and actually uses you as set up fodder.

Kyurem B also OHKOes you with Earth Power, and specially offensive variants have a 98% chance to 2HKO you with Fusion Bolt.

Any rock type handles Talonflame decently enough unless it's some obscure Natural Gift set and Dragonite has much better answers.

You need to revisit the teambuilding of your squad. You are intentionally hampering yourself by using this garbage of a mon. You haven't stated what it does better other than "take Bullet Punch from Scizor better" while still being destroyed by most of the things that you have it as an answer for. There is simply no way to make Relicanth work in OU.

6. MyTearsYourWeapon

@Blitzamirin What's really funny though is all of those things you mentioned literally cannot switch into Relicanth. It's not as garbage as you think; I'm not hampering myself.

Heatran and Kyu-B both rarely run EP (especially Kyurem-B, which I've only seen it once on) and Heatran's running Flash Cannon in lieu of EP at least against the opponents I've been playing against lately.
    As for Zard X's Wisp set, even while burned Relicanth can still destroy it because of SR damage (which you're not accounting for) as Head Smash while burned can do up to 44% to his Zard X (which isn't set up fodder especially if you account in the 50% rock damage on the pre-mega zard switch in.

There are ways to make Relicanth work in OU, you're just not willing to play to its strengths because of its reputation.

http://web.pokemon-online.eu/replay/160304-3047475983 (my team obviously being the one with the Relicanth, etc)

7. TraceofLife

TraceofLife Lucky Strike

PO Trainer Name:
    TraceofLife
    look, while it's true that most of the mons you listed can't switch into relicanth, how is it going to switch into anything except tflame on OU? There's a lots of mon that can fill in relicanth on OU, it's just outclassed by those mons, hence why it's garbage on OU.

Offensive Variant Heatran usually runs EP, sometimes it also runs Power Herb Solar Beam which is a good set.
    Kyurem-B always brings Earth Power on the Specially Attacking Variant.
    You're accounting the fact that SR will always be up, what if it's not up though? what will you do about zard-x? there's no way zard-x would switch into a relicanth too.

while it's true there's a lot of ways to make it work, it needs a huge team support too, it has terrible special bulk and too slow for an offensive mon.

it's not that we're not willing to use it, it's just not worth to use it on a serious OU team.

8. Blitzamirin

Blitzamirin Waluigi! Number one!

PO Trainer Name:
    Blitz
    Yeah except Zard X just spams Roost on you until it gets a miss bc you're not outdamaging it and sets up on you... most Heatran and Kyurem-B run Earth Power so I don't know where on the ladder you are. Who cares if they can't switch in? Relicanth can't switch in on anything (except Tflame) and everything outspeeds you.

I don't know why you make a thread when you are being insistent on a Pokemon... that is genuinely garbage and does nothing any of the other, legit viable Rock-type mons can't do.

9. sulcata

sulcata cory is #1 bae Forum Moderator Server Administrator Forum Moderator Server Administrator

Just run a Rock Polish set and hope your opponent sacks their scarfs/walls for no reason early in the game. They'll probably be too distracted by Relicanth to actually think. It's not like Relicanth actually walls anything relevant in OU anyway.

Or don't use Relicanth.

10. Finchinator

Finchinator Addicted and just can't get enough

PO Trainer Name:
    Finchinator / Finch
    ^

Hey there and sorry that I am late in replying to this, but I happen to be certain that Reliclanth is not currently viable in the ORAS OU metagame. While you are still free to use it, it will always be outclassed by some pokemon that is in the tier or useable in the tier no matter what role it happens to be fulfilling given the current state of the metagame. If you wish to experiment and test the waters, be my guest and feel free to report your findings in the "Creative Sets" thread, but we will keep threads solely devoted to things like this out of the subforum as they create unnecessary clutter and we are trying to promote more directly relevant metagame discussion on viable pokemon, trends, and potential suspects as opposed to discussing less or simply non viable pokemon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.