1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

Suspect Discussion: Escavalier [Banned]

Discussion in 'Gen 6 NU' started by Xdevo, Mar 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xdevo

Xdevo Phrasing Super Moderator Tour Director Super Moderator Tour Director

[​IMG]
    Thanks Blizt for the picture

Discuss the possibility of Escavalier being banned from the ORAS NU tier.

Use this thread to discuss Escavalier's effect on the metagame; talk about the different sets it can use, good partners and potential checks/counters. State your opinion on whether you think it should be banned, but make sure your posts are backed up by experience and knowledge. Anyone who makes post based on theorymon risks being infracted.

If you're unsure about posting check out this guide and post anyway.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
    Funbot28 and Snowy like this.
  2. Purpleseamonkey

Purpleseamonkey PO Alt: y0

PO Trainer Name:
    y0 , y01, y02 , y03
    My feelings about Escavalier remain largely unchancged from here;
    "Escavalier is actually way more broken. While camel can basically 2hko the meta (hp electric is very viable), Esca is ultimately more unhealthy because it is everything people hate about registeel but better. RSteel's main issue is that it can't use all the free turns it gets from forcing switches very efficiently. Esca does not have this problem at all. It is insanely hard to 1hko and can run band with very good Bug/Steel/Ground/dark coverage making it very difficult to counter. The thing is, while band is good for situational power, AV is even better bc it becomes an insanely bulky attacker with pursuit. This last aspect is key because of the sheer amount of special attackers it can switch in on safely and trap. It makes most psychics and special attackers unable to check mons throughout the match because of its ability to trap with almost impervious bulk. The ability to live hits on both spectrums, while still being one of the most offensively threatening mons in the tier, makes Esca too good a glue on teams. It is almost always able to retaliate with 120 bp stab and it is quite hard not to add to any type of team; be it offensive, defensive, or just bad."

I don't think that AV is better than band anymore, although, it is a much more solid audino check to live +1 fireblast. Band has few switchins and is the best knock off spammer in the tier. Anything that can live the coverage will most certainly hate losing their item; further weakening them to being exploited by teammates/passive dmg. There are some checks, which can switch in on an appropriate move and ohko/force it out; but most of there mons have no longevity and do not prevent Esca from accomplishing its job. Because of these things I think that Esca limits the development of the tier and should be banned.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  3. East's Mascot

East's Mascot The Tyrant

I quit pokemon, but I'd like to commend you on that drawing. I'd rate it a solid 9.4/10, the left lance could be a bit pointier though! I think with enough practice, you have potential to be the next Pokemon Picasso!

Edna likes this.
  4. Blitzamirin

Blitzamirin Waluigi! Number one!

PO Trainer Name:
    Blitz
    I drew it :( Got no credit. And it's Da Vinci not Picasso -

5. Edna

Edna Chasing the Dragon Forum Moderator Forum Moderator

PO Trainer Name:
    Edna
    Escavalier is just very hard to stop in NU, the only way I found to deal with it correctly is chip damage through Garbodor and other rocky users. Its main issue is the very bad speed which means it will most of the time run Choice Band, and that makes it very dangerous on the switch. With the access of Overcoat, it won't be asleep vs a Vivillon and will win most the 1v1, especially if people run AV Escavalier. Having access to moves such as Megahorn, Iron Head, Knock Off and Pursuit makes an amazing trapper, and a good way of countering ghosts like Mismagius. It really only fears Burn but paired with a pokemon such as Vaporeon or Mega Audino, it can get easily through most status. There isn't really a lot to say about Escavalier outside the fact it's ridiculous in the metagame and needs to be banned asap

Funbot28 likes this.
  6. Draciel

Draciel ALLEZ! ALLEZ! ALLEZ!

PO Trainer Name:
    Neo
    So after testing Escavalier extensively throughout the period, I think it's pretty safe to say that is an offensive powerhouse without any peers in NU at the moment. Solid bulk for such an offensive mon makes it very hard to take down, whereas it can basically OHKO/2HKO most of the tier with the appropriate moves. AV/Band both are extremely viable sets, AV utilizes it's great natural bulk to sponge special attacks and retaliate hard with it's powerful Bug/Steel/Dark/Ground coverage; whereas the Banded set just muscles through it's so-called checks with it's stab/coverage moves. Access to pursuit makes it even more deadly, allowing it trap and check the multiple psychic types in the tier. Even though it's 4x fire weakness threatens to hold it back, it's still too good of a glue to teams, offensive and defensive alike, with it's amazing bulk/resistances/powerful STABs and coverage. It's low speed is actually a blessing in disguise, allowing it to perform superbly with TR support and threatening to outright pummel it's opponents with it's massive attack.

As a result, Escavalier will be banned from ORAS NU.

scorpdestroyer likes this.
  7. Xdevo

Xdevo Phrasing Super Moderator Tour Director Super Moderator Tour Director

In short, I don't really think Escavalier is actually broken in NU in the traditional sense. CB Esca has hard counters in things like Poliwrath and Pelipper, and doesn't have a great time getting into play between the speed, and the number of things that can do significant damage to Esca. Ass Vest is a fine offensive pivot, but its not much more than that. Offensive teams will simply revenge kill (like they do for a number of other mons) Esca in the majority of cases. AssVest isn't going to be doing all that much to a well built defensive team (unless you're pursuit trapping something), but can function as a check for things like Vivilion. CB on the other hand can do a lot to Defensive teams, and there are very few things that aren't 2HKO'd. The issues is that a 2HKO with Esca means that it is going to be taking at least 2 hits. Esca might be bulky, but it isn't something that can keep switching into play and take repeated hits with the assistance of AssVest. CB Pursuit is a dangerous threat in a tier so dependent on Psychics and Ghosts and obviously that is a huge assistance to making so many things that Esca uses to get into play commonalities in NU.

However, in light of what Esca does to the metagame as a whole and that it combines so effectively with a lot of offensive threats that it creates a very toxic environment is why I'm not going to stop it from being banned. Though, I seriously think that the few posts we got in the thread were pretty abysmal as a whole (Esca's common checks have no longevity??? Peli, Poliwrath, and Registeel /never/ die).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.