1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[Monotype] Shadow Tag Suspect test

Discussion in 'Gen 6 Side Metagames' started by Edna, Apr 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Edna

Edna Chasing the Dragon Forum Moderator Forum Moderator

PO Trainer Name:
    Edna
    [​IMG]

Discuss the effects of Shadow Tag on the Monotype metagame and the possibility of banning it. Post intelligently based off of experience in the metagame. Posts based off theorymon risk forum infractions. i.e. if you play Monotype at all, then post.

Attempt to find the checks and counters (or lack thereof) for Shadow Tag as well as its impact and power in the metagame. Do not simply say "it's broken" or "it's not broken". Back up your arguments on why you think it should be banned or not.

If a consensus is reached or a clear majority is established, then the result will likely be implemented in the metagame, otherwise it will go to a vote. Happy suspecting.

sulcata likes this.
  2. Edna

Edna Chasing the Dragon Forum Moderator Forum Moderator

PO Trainer Name:
    Edna
    Ok I guess I'll go first:

Shadow tag is only playable on Monopsy and has the 2 main users on it: Wobby and Gothitelle. The first can encore, get kills with Counter/Mirror Coat and the latter can set up with Calm Mind, Trick, and a plethora of good moves such as Tbolt, Energy Ball, Shadow Ball. If separated, they are not the biggest threats to the meta, but when paired together they form a cancer core which consists on using encore with Wobby and then Trick CM Goth. This strategy can't be avoided unless you run Shed Shell or Monoghost ( which you can deal with mostly with Meloetta and Victini Scarf). This strategy has no counters since a counter is a pokemon that can switch in any moment to take a hit and retaliate, in the current case, impossible because of shadow tag.

How does it affect the metagame: Arguably in a bad way, getting set up on and having 0 way of countering this is pretty much what makes Shadow Tag broken, Monotype is already a matchup based tier, keeping an ability that prevents switching while having a reliable way of set up makes it too much for me. I won't develop more for the moment because I want people to give their opinions and not only follow/repeat what I said.

3. gengar17

gengar17 someone turn this nothing into gengar

i've never personally seen this combination being used in a battle, mainly due to the opportunity cost of running these 2 mons together in a monotype team. Thing is, when i've made psychic teams ive noticed the wide variety of mons that can be used to help lessen the extent to which psy can handle certain types, and i dont think slapping 2 psy-only mons with known utilities is the way to go. For example, if a pokemon that is being trapped not able to handle either gothitelle or wobby in general, can it really hurt mono psy at all?
    I guess this can be valid for say, Gothitelle/Wobby trapping for example heatran to allow victini to have an easier time, or maybe trapping a gastrodon for say slowbro to sweep, idk.
    But monotype in general is often an offensive based meta and gothitelle wouldnt really find that much opportunity to catch certain "key" mons and set up on them, and surely there are better ways of abusing the mons that the combination is trapping.
    It's not really easy for me to assume these things due to not having faced this combination.
    Frankly i would oppose a ban but i'm open to changing my mind, simply because it's not a known issue in Monotype atm.

Funbot28 likes this.
  4. sulcata

sulcata stéphane curry best waifu Forum Moderator Server Administrator Forum Moderator Server Administrator

Considering the lack of player input, the current TLs have agreed to ban Shadow Tag. While it may not be entirely effective in every game nor common it allows Pokemon such as Gothitelle to capitalize off of the smallest of mistakes to win entire games, which leads to overall stagnant and one-dimensional matches. As such Shadow Tag will be banned next time tiers are updated.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
    Funbot28 and Edna like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.