1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, due to a lack of interest, playerbase, and general desire to continue, PO will hereby cease our separate tiering and adopt Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

Mono Psychic Hyper Offense

Discussion in 'Rate My Team' started by sharkfin49, Apr 6, 2016.

Moderators: Edna, fsk
  1. sharkfin49

sharkfin49 New Member

Hello! My name is sharkfin, and I am 100% new to Pokemon Online. I have been playing pokemon competitively for around a year now, and I recently have gotten into the monotype tier. However, as I was playing around with my favorite type, psychic (Azelf is the best Lake Trio >:D), I noticed that I was constantly losing momentum by going into common balance walls, such as Slowbro, Metagross, or even Gardevoir due to a lack of speed. Perhaps this is just a lack of skill, but I decided to try a new type of psychic: Hyper offense.

This team focuses on power. PURE POWER!!!!! Oh, and speed, of course. It also requires VERY heavy predictions, as one wrong move will cost you a Pokemon and maybe the game.

TEAMBUILDING PROCESS

Okay, first of all, I knew I wanted to have Azelf on my team. Azelf is probably my favorite Psychic pokemon, and I actually was able to make it work. Being hyper offense, I decided not to go with a hazard setter and instead try to bait the taunt to get a free attack off.

TEAM: Azelf

After Azelf, who I ended up making a physical attacker, I looked for a special counterpart to his magnificent self. The first things that jumped out at me were [email protected] I ended up choosing Latios for the, once again, extra base 20 Special Attack bonus. Latios has been a great addition to this team, lots of times ending up as a resist switch-in or a late game sweeper with its coverage moves.

TEAM: Azelf, Latios

Seeing how key Latios's coverage moves were going to be, I figured I would need some counter to its weaknesses. The two main ones countered here being Ice and Fairy. I chose two incredibly powerful pokemon to fill this role: Victini and Jirachi. Jirachi is, of course, my fairy go-to, and Victini is normally my ice switch. I also chose to scarf both of them and give them u-turn, making what I believe to be the core of this team: A scarfed turning core, necessary for making switches to keep momentum.

TEAM: Azelf, Latios, Victini, Jirachi

Now, however, I DO need some kind of pivot, even if it does cause me to lose momentum. Also, I was having quite a problem with Gengar, scarfed Chandelure, and Shadow Sneak Aegislash/Doublade. Because of these, I chose my next member as Meloetta. Meloetta should be a key staple on any Psychic team, as its dual typing can either force switches, waste turns, or allow me to counter-predict and stay in on something. It also has very good special defense, and makes bringing it in to attack much easier.

TEAM: Azelf, Latios, Victini, Jirachi, Meloetta

I'm going to leave the last team spot blank, but there's a reason why. You'll see down below.

THE SETS

Azelf @ Life Orb
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 252 Spe / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
    Jolly Nature
    -Flamethrower
    -Taunt
    -Stealth Rock
    -Explosion

So I'm really liking this new idea (suggested by Gengar17). The rocks are really helping with bug teams, (I'd never really used hazards so I didn't know <(^^ ,)>)
    I also tried dual screens Azelf, but without a sash it was getting killed too easily, and without Light Clay the screens were going down too quickly, and I would need to try and not explode it and bring them up later. It just wasn't working well for me.

Latias @ Life Orb
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 252 Spe / 252 SpA / 4 HP
    Timid Nature
    -Draco Meteor
    -Recover
    -Defog
    -Psyshock

Okay, so I've tried fitting defog on Latios, and it's just not cutting it, so I changed it to the other twin. It's extra defenses and recover give it actual staying power to do stuff. Life Orb to help with the special attack loss.

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf

Ability: Serene Grace
    EVs: 252 Spe / 252 Atk / 4 HP
    Jolly Nature
    -U-Turn
    -Ice Punch
    -Iron Head
    -Drain Punch

"Wow Shark your movesets suck"
    Standing alone they do, yeah. Together they provide surprising coverage and allow for more gutsy predictions. And surprise, of course.
    Standard OU ScarfRachi with the exception of Drain Punch over Trick. Helps with Bisharps and stuff that think they get a free SD on a switch. Does work on most Dark Pokes, and a few Normals.

Victini @ Choice Scarf/Choice Band
    Ability: Victory Star
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
    Jolly Nature
    -V-Create
    -Will-O Wisp/Brick Break
    -U-Turn
    -Bolt Strike

Okay, now this set I'm not really sure about. I hate having to totally screw up a moveset just to counter ONE Pokemon, but if Bisharp comes in and Jirachi isn't in IMMEDIATELY, I can't stop an SD and then having him sucker punch my entire team. Therefore, yes. I had to put a status move on a scarfed Pokemon. The benefit is that it works. However... I had to drop Brick Break, and I'm just not sure how else to counter a +2 Bisharp. Other than that, pretty standard set though. Edit: I've been trying out band for a bit of extra "oomph" and Brick Break, but I haven't had enough testing with it yet. I'll update it soon!

Meloetta @ Choice Specs
    Ability: Serene Grace
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
    Modest Nature
    -Dazzling Gleam
    -Focus Blast
    -Psychic/Psyshock
    -Energy Ball

"What? Three choiced Pokemon?"
    Yeah, and once again I'm not sure specs is the right item here. I've tried a Life Orb, but as Melo is my special pivot, I don't want to be taking residual damage. One thing I have tried with relative success, though, is Wise Glasses. Any suggestions?
    It's just a special wall that hits like a truck. One STAB of choice, Focus Blast to hit Steel types, Shadow Ball for any ghost type i switch into (AEGI), and Energy Ball for a random coverage filler move. Edit: I've switched Shadow Ball for Dazzling Gleam to deal with Mega Sabeleye.

Medicham @ Medichamite
    Ability: Pure Power
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
    Adamant Nature
    -Fake Out
    -Bullet Punch
    -Drain Punch
    -Ice Punch

Edit: This guy's got his spot back. And i switched it to Adamant.

COMMON THREATS

Volcarona: Still. Just. Ow. Hits everything besides Medi/Gallade for SE damage.
    Exadrill: If it's Sand Rush LO I can beat it. If it's scarfed and has Mold Breaker..... I can still beat it. But it's a heck of a lot harder.
    Scizor: If it gets an SD up and Tini is dead, I lose.
    Sticky Web: Yes, I know it isn't a pokemon. But it negates my scarf core. And. That. Sucks.
    Togekiss: It can be troublesome if it's not scarfed. T-waves stack up sometimes.
    I haven't faced any Mono Water yet with new changes, but I'm worried they also might be more difficult with the lack of thunderbolt, especially Mega Gyrados. We'll see though!

I'll update this as I go along with testing this team! Thank you all for reading my first RMT, and post for that matter! If you have any suggestions, either on how to make the RMT better or my team, please comment below. Thank you all!

By the way, BOLD indicated changes.
    Regards, Shark

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  2. gengar17

gengar17 someone turn this victini into gengar

PO Trainer Name:
    gengar17
    i guess u can see why people run sr, especially on psychic teams that are weak to bug. Azelf specifically can also prevent sticky web since u can taunt lead galv, set up rocks, and beat common spinners and whatnot. (ofc by changing ur azelf to sash), ur not really "wasting" a turn, thats why the common azelf lead runs sr taunt fire boom, to prevent momentum loss after its done its job.

if bisharp seems annoying to u, u can try a sub cm meloetta or cm 3 attacks colbur meloetta
    and for the record, as long as rocks are not up on ur side, victini should be able to easily tank a +1 bug buzz and ohko volcarona with vcreate.
    that's why it might be a good idea to run an emergency defog on latios, which u wouldnt use unless u need to win with victini and u need rocks off the field.

the next problem i wanna address is the lack of power in ur "hyper offense". dragon pulse is absolutely useless when draco meteor is a thing. Psyshock will hit almost any other pokemon harder than dragon pulse unless it a dragon type, and the problem with dragon pulse is that it only nails u the 2hko at best at all times, except vs dragons. Heres where draco comes into play, u can actually ohko things and then use jirachi or victini as a pivot.
    other power issues is the Jolly Drain punch medicham. Drain punch is considerably weaker than HJK, and if u wanna use it, i recommend adamant nature, the speed difference isnt significant enough. I've used addy drain punch a ton, and i can tell u for a fact that it's good.

please dont use av gallade..
    hope i helped.

Joyverse likes this.
  3. Edna

Edna Trick Or Sweets? Forum Moderator Forum Moderator

PO Trainer Name:
    Edna
    So hi, I can see many more problems than just Volcarona tbh. You have serious issues with Mega Gyarados who can basically get a free kill everytime it's in. I agree that rocks are a priority to deal with bug more easily ( even though Victini can deal with it) I'ld suggest running something weird but that work vs bug, which is Tanga Berry Starmie, which allows you to take a bug move and spin away the webs, you can also play Thunder wave on it, but that's very situational, so it has to be used carefully. I'ld suggest also to play Dual screen azelf with rocks and Explosion can also work for you, helps dealing more easily with some archetypes, and if you don't like Dual Screen consider at least flamethrower Explosion Rocks.

Something that you could also use is either Scarf Gardevoir or Mega Gardevoir so you deal better with dark teams, as Sableye can cause you troubles. I also agree with what gengar said overall, there is space to make that team way better.

4. sharkfin49

sharkfin49 New Member

Perhaps it's just my lack of skill that prevents me from nuking things with Draco Meteor, but I'll try it again.
    I like the idea of Colbur Meloetta though. It's an interesting counter.
    And the problem with Tini isn't living a Bug Buzz. With it being scarfed and not banded, it doesn't quite pick up the KO. Perhaps I'll change it to band and try it out though.
    I'll definitely work on the Adamant versus Jolly for medi.

Mega Gyrados hasn't given me much issue honestly. Especially if it's on mono water, I have no problem with bringing in Tini and dropping a will-o, or if he doesn't DD and subs, I can break the sub with Fake out from Medi and OHKO with Drain Punch. On flying it's a bit trickier, but still, I normally dont have trouble with it.
    I'm gonna completely reskin azelf, probably..... I'll test out this option and see!
    Scarf Garde I'm not a real fan of, as I would have three scarfs and I'm not real keen on replacing either of them......
    Looking at this team again, I'm maybe thinking that a sashed CM pass Espeon might be worth trying to squeeze in there. If it works, I may replace a coverage move on Melo with Dgleam. Starmie, though, I've tried before (Not with Tanga but sashed), and it just wasn't outputting what I wanted. I'd much rather run defog on Lati, I believe, though what I would replace I'm not sure.

Thanks to you both for your suggestions! The whole reason I wanted to post this was to help improve, and thanks to both of you for helping me out!

5. Joyverse

Joyverse Toki wo tomare!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Edited The whole point of HO is to pressure the opponent. Psycho HO isn't new so lemme help. Make Azelf naive with sash and add the 4 evs to atk. This way you end up hitting solid on either side of the split and the sash lets u survive a potentially deadly move and keep the momentum up. Latias needs to be able to function to pressurize, the spread is ok but you can try tanga/colbur/lo/lefties for the item depending on your common opponents. Healing wish>recover so that your potential wrecker mon isn't laughed at by togekiss and the other likely status spreaders. Megaeye is banned, u shud worry about an aegislash reking so keep sball on melo. And make tini permanently scarfed and keep wisp it's fun and 2 scarfers are always better than one in mono HOs so u cool der. That is all!

Moderators: Edna, fsk