1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pokemon Sun and Moon - Pre-release discussion (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Pokémon Chat' started by Professor Oak, May 10, 2016.

1. Professor Oak

Professor Oak same Forum Administrator Server Owner Social Media Rep Forum Administrator Server Owner Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Professor Oak
    The Pokemon Company have released the first bit of information on Pokemon Sun and Moon.

Check it out here: (obviously, spoilers ahoy, so it's in the spoiler tag)
    There was also a Japanese trailer released at the same time. It's in the spoiler tag below:

Pokémon Sun and Moon are confirmed for release on November 18th, 2016 in the US and Japan, and on November 23rd, 2016 in Europe!

Check out the trailer and the starter Pokémon on the official Sun and Moon website here:
    http://www.pokemon-sunmoon.com/en-gb/

My thoughts are going to be in the post below, to prevent people who want the release date but no other information.
    The main info, and other speculative information, from the above YouTube video is in the spoiler tag here:
    • The player character appears to be the oldest-looking character so far. I doubt this means we'll see a more mature game, but it's worth noting.
    • The player character's... mother? older sister?... appears to be shown. Once again for the series, no father or male family member is shown, and outside of Gen 3 having your father be a Gym Leader, I think that's a trend the entire series makes. I don't know why.
    • You can now choose between 4 different skin colour gradients. This is a good move for the series.
    • Serebii reports: "Differentiation in some parts of the trailer show that the character is wearing a slightly different shirt and shorts, potentially indicating that full trainer customisation is back in." Trainer outfit customisation from XY could be back? Hell yeah!
    • A man in a lab coat with the name Kukui? He's the region's professor! There is a Kukui tree, as named in Hawaii, otherwise known as the candlenut tree. Also, Kukui says "cousin" to the player, but this might not be a familial link, as calling people your close friends your cousin in Hawaii is fairly common.
    • According to Serebii, the region is called the Alola region. Palm trees are around, and the Hawaiian Professor name? Confirms that the region is set in Hawaii if you ask me!
    • Looking at the map, it looks to be based on the island of Oahu, the island of Hawaii where Pearl Harbor and Honolulu can be found.
    • Old tubby guy that throws the PokeBalls with the starts in... he looks a lot like Wattson, the Electric-type Gym Leader from the Hoenn games! Could that be Wattson with a tan?
    • EDIT: According to Serebii, "The person who gives you your Pokémon in the games is a character named Hala." That isn't Wattson then lol
    • Rowlet is a Grass/Flying-type Pokémon, and is the Grass-type starter Pokémon for Sun and Moon. It starts with the move "Leafage", which appears to be a brand new move for the new generation, although this isn't 100% confirmed. It has the ability "Overgrow". It is based off of an owl.
    • Litten is a Fire-type Pokémon, and is the Fire-type starter Pokémon for Sun and Moon. It starts with the move "Ember". It has the ability "Blaze". It is based off of a cat.
    • Popplio is a Water-type Pokémon, and is the Water-type starter Pokémon for Sun and Moon. It starts with the move "Water Gun". It has the ability "Torrent". It is based off of a seal or sea lion, more accurately, a seal or sea lion from a circus act.
    • A lot of the NPCs look quite older and taller than they have done in previous Pokémon games.
    • There appears to be vehicles parked on the road in the trailer. Will these have any gameplay element attached to them? It's worth noting that the roads themselves have sidewalks to walk down. You are able to run down the middle of the road, but is the road driveable, perhaps?
    • A young girl appears in the trailer, by the side of the starter Pokémon. It looks like she has just sent these Pokémon out to battle. Could she be the rival? Furthermore, does this mean that Trainer-sprites are going to be permanently visible in battle? Does this mean the player can alter the age of their trainer to appear young if they are young, and older if they are older? Do all the female characters look so young, or is this just the player's younger sister?
    • Another candidate for the rival appears in the video too. The guy with green-black hair seems to look like a cheeky guy who runs up to you and poses at you. This seems more likely to be the rival, in my opinion.
    • A lion-like Pokémon, which will be the cover-legendary of Pokémon Sun, was revealed, although no further information was given.
    • A bat-like Pokémon, which will be the cover-legendary of Pokémon Moon, was revealed, although no further information was given.

EDIT: Possible names of the cover legendaries from trademark registrations have been found. They were posted on Pokebeach 3 weeks ago, and seems to at least slightly confirm aspects of the legendary Pokémon we see in the trailers above. The link to the possible names can be found here.

Last edited: May 10, 2016
    Jethalal, Joyverse and Draciel like this.
  2. Professor Oak

Professor Oak same Forum Administrator Server Owner Social Media Rep Forum Administrator Server Owner Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Professor Oak
    Anyone else got Rowlet? That little owl looks cool as hell. Shame it doesn't get a unique typing, but here's hoping it's better than Tropius, but not as broken as Skymin.

Litten... that clearly is going to be Fire/Dark by the end of it, and I'm scared it's going to be horribly outclassed by Houndoom and Mega Houndoom by the end of the game. It's cute as fuck though. The way it licks its paw as an idle animation... d'aww.

Popplio is pretty weird looking, but it's based off of circus seals. I'm unsure if it'll gain a secondary typing, cos I just can't work it out based on its look alone.

The region itself looks alright, it's based off of Hawaii, like we all expected after the announcement trailer. But is that really Wattson giving you the starters? Idk how I feel about that if it is.

Those legends look dumb as fuck though imo. The Bat is probably Dark/Flying, Ghost/Flying or Fairy/Flying looking at it, none of which are unique types. There's a chance the Lion could be Fairy / Fire though, so that's interesting.

Of course, nothing is confirmed, so w/e. I am now looking forward to Sun and Moon though!

Also BRING ON THE LIGHT-TYPE CLAIMS FOR YET ANOTHER GENERATION

AND WHY THE FUCK ARE WE DELAYED 5 DAYS OVER THE REST OF THE WORLD THIS IS FUCKING BULLSHIT

Last edited: May 10, 2016
  3. Joyverse

Joyverse Back for a blast!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    I remember seeing a link of a so called Solgaleo art numbered #871 in indigo sent by mahn. I'm #TeamSun. Wbu and from wer did u get all these info??? Serebii?
    And what if Rowlet just get aerilate as an hidden abi?! Legend Pyroar gon be fire/fairy or psy.

4. Professor Oak

PO Trainer Name:
    Professor Oak
    If I checked Serebii for the information, I mention it.

Otherwise, look at the damn videos and links in the OP. I'm just speculating info from them ffs, I literally said that in the post.

5. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Rowlet Line- If it gets Aerialate, I'm gon be so happy ZOMG!
    Litten Line- Most probably it gets, Mold Breaker or Prankster possibly owing to its shady look. Pretty sure it is going to be Fire/Dark by final evo. Dark types are like the rule breakers of the pokemon community so eh.
    Poppopilololopiopopio Line- I can't even speel dis pruper. My bet on it is it will get to be Water/Fight or just pure water, like Samurott. For the abilities, I most probably think it'll get Moody cause circus themed mon or maybe swift swim?

HOLY SHIT THE LEGEND DESIGNS ARE AWESOME. I was thinking how the evil factions will target these guys?

6. Snickey

Snickey Team skull, take em' down!

PO Trainer Name:
    Razzleberry/Pikablu
    Oh neat a Sun/Moon chat, how did I not notice this earlier.

My opinion on the starters isn't the best but whatever i tried.

Popplio firstly, my god this little blue shit is cute as fuck. I am almost picking it on its cuteness alone. I also wanna see if it'll be a duel type, maybe Water/Fairy or Ice? Y'know since seel. I also really wanna see how it'll look fully evolved. Fuck could you imagine some circus ring leader shit?

Rowlet, is just a weird little Tropius. I like that it's the first Grass/Flying starter but, just not appealing. ( I'll be saying this now but later on when i face it I'll be screaming at how it could possibly be OP like fuck ). Also did you see how menacingly he turned his head back like WHAT DID YOU SAY?

Litten, i'm not a cat person so fuck you litten. Anyway, it could be a Fire/Dark and i hope it is a bit more useful than Houndoom. Here's to hoping it's not like the pig and stands on 2 legs to turn into a fighting type. I love it's design though, pretty neat red/black scheme. Won't be picking it but knowing me i'll end up playing with each starter until i can see the final evo r i p.

I love how the characters look. YAY NO MORE BOBBLE HEADS. Holy fuck the scenery is just breathtaking to me. Maybe it's just the feeling of a new Pokemon game but it's a nice feeling to have.

I also hope to see a lot of new 'mons than recent ones.

ALSO THE FUCKING LEGENDS ARE COOL AS SHIT WHAT THE FUCK.

Joyverse and Emperor Grox like this.
  7. Troller

Troller Well-Known Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Troller
    [​IMG]

8. Troller

PO Trainer Name:
    Troller
    [​IMG]

9. Snickey

Snickey Team skull, take em' down!

PO Trainer Name:
    Razzleberry/Pikablu
    POPPLIO NO.

Emperor Grox likes this.
  10. Emperor Grox

Emperor Grox Charmed ~

PO Trainer Name:
    Ahri
    You take that back! ;~;

WORSE THAN HITLER HOW COULD YOU DX

11. Blitzamirin

Blitzamirin Waluigi! Number one!

PO Trainer Name:
    Blitz
    Legends need more love smfh:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Emperor Grox likes this.
  12. Emperor Grox

Emperor Grox Charmed ~

PO Trainer Name:
    Ahri
    Lunaala for the win in my opinion Cx

Blitzamirin likes this.
  13. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Shit I was about to post this but gj Troller and ty! :]

14. Troller

PO Trainer Name:
    Troller
    [​IMG]

Joyverse likes this.
  15. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    [​IMG]

So Solgaleo is like Sol(sun)+ga(japanese for fang)+leo and Lunaala... uh pretty sure Ala means feather or wing in Italian or Spanish not sure but ok..

16. Troller

PO Trainer Name:
    Troller
    Luna=Moon
    Ala=Wing

Piuma=Feather btw

Italian

17. Professor Oak

PO Trainer Name:
    Professor Oak
    I dunno, Popplio isn't that bad.

It's just god awful when compared to the other two.

[​IMG]

Jethalal, Aurist, Joyverse and 2 others like this.
  18. DracoNova

DracoNova Cherlene's #1 fan

PO Trainer Name:
    DracoNova
    fixed
    [​IMG]

19. Domo Genesis

Domo Genesis Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Domo Genesis
    Yo why is the sun lion psychic/steel

I mean these abilites are kinda redundant too one is basically clear body the other multiscale

20. Professor Oak

PO Trainer Name:
    Professor Oak
    Quote from Serebii:
    "First up is Nekkoala, the Half Awake Pokémon which is Normal-type with the ability Definite Sleep which prevents it being afflicted with a status other than sleep"

AAAAAAAAAA KOALA POKEMON YAY AAAAAA

i mean sure it's normal-type which is fucking shite but at least we got a koala

also rock-type generic dog instead of normal-type generic dog

i'd rather rock-type koala thanks

Joyverse likes this.
  21. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Where tf are the Zygarde formes? Where mah not so generic dog? ;_;
    Also Magearnub has the ability Soul Heart, sounds cool. And a move named Fleur Cannon, uh moar powerful flash cannon?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  22. Professor Oak

PO Trainer Name:
    Professor Oak
    I imagine you checked Serebii later this day and went "well I'll just shut the fuck up then"

23. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    They edited it like after 3 hours I said that. Oak you are a meanie! ;-;

24. Jethalal

Jethalal (~o.o)~ So Spooky ~(o.o~)

PO Trainer Name:
    Jethalal
    3 more released!
    Yungoos -Normal
    [​IMG]
    Pikipek -Normal/Flying
    [​IMG]
    Grubbin -Bug
    [​IMG]

25. Professor Oak

PO Trainer Name:
    Professor Oak
    Pikipek was the bird Pokémon being worked on in the very first trailer for Sun and Moon!

... I'm not really a fan of any of those Pokémon =/

26. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
    Zoroark likes this.
  27. Domo Genesis

Domo Genesis Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Domo Genesis
    Vikavolt is freakin sick take that back

Joyverse and Professor Oak like this.
  28. Professor Oak

PO Trainer Name:
    Professor Oak
    Charjabug is a simple but cool design.
    Vikavolt is badass.
    Tapu Koko is awesome.
    Togedemaru isn't even bad design, it's just a Pikachu clone.
    Bruxish isn't great, but I get where it's from and understand why it is how it is, which makes me accept its design.
    The other 2 are trash.

...I wish Komala was called Nekkoala again...

Joyverse likes this.
  29. E.T.

E.T. Random Slowpoke Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    I'll basically restate what I said in another thread:

I like all of them tbh. Tapukoko is probably the best, but Charjabug and Drampa (inb4 nicknaming it Grampa) look fun. The things I'm most excited to see are the new type combinations like Normal/Dragon and Bug/Fairy and new Fairy-types since Fairy could still use some new Pokemon since it's the newest type.

I'll add that it does disappoint me to see so much hate for some of the designs this quickly like that article being titled "wtf are these lame new Pokemon". Everybody is entitled to their opinion, but I think it would be better to at least wait until we know more details before condemning the designs. I thought most of them were actually good. :v

Sasuke Uchiha likes this.
  30. Zoroark

Zoroark Stay Firm Forum Moderator Server Moderator Forum Moderator Server Moderator

PO Trainer Name:
    SkyPhoenix / Zoroark
    Charjabug = Accordion with two spikes.
    Togedemaru = An obese pikachu that got bleach thrown all over it. Which explains the sad face on the game pic.
    Cutiefly = Well...at least it doesn't look cringy. Sorta cute.
    Bruxish = A Piranha...with human-like lips...ok gamefreak. I'm foreseeing a lot of fanarts mocking this design in a couple of months.
    Drampa = Looks like some weird dragon I saw on Dragon City game, except the Dragon City version looked better. And uh...rip in Good Type combinations.
    Vikabolt: Not gonna lie, this actually looks pretty awesome. Thank Jesus. Hoping that at least its stats are going to be as good as its design.
    Tapukoko: Let's just say that it looks better than the mons mentioned with "=" on it.

Joyverse likes this.
  31. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Salandit (poison/fire) has been revealed, its ability Corrosion let's it poison steel and poison types! Wew!

32. Professor Oak

PO Trainer Name:
    Professor Oak
    Unique typing, cool. Interesting new ability, cool.

Doesn't really look nice though. We still aren't aware of its stats. Poison / Fire isn't a brilliant defensive typing, due to a 4x weakness to Ground and 2x weaknesses to Water, Rock and Psychic, all of which are extremely common (with Psychic-type move use increasing with more Psychic types being used in higher tiers).

It does get notable resistances though. 4x resists to Bug, Grass and Fairy are alright, meaning U-turn does fuck all, and you've got a notable stop to the Fairy-types that use just STAB moves (if it has the stats to beat them). 2x resists to Steel, Fighting, Ice, Fire and Poison are also pretty decent, if it has the stats to block those moves.

If Salandit actually ends up being used, you could very well see Porygon2 Tracing his ability, and gaining the ability to Toxic any Pokemon that tries to come in on it. All other currently known Trace users (other than Porygon) have Psychic STAB, so that's the only one to watch out for.

An interesting addition that just gets shit on by Heatran. Shoutout to Heatran for being the best.

33. pokemonnerd

pokemonnerd Only uso listens to pnerd. Devo too. Article Contributor Article Contributor

Just gonna drop this here:

[​IMG]

They've never been all that great, it's just that they were the first. Nostalgia is a strong force to reckon with

34. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Pikipek gets bullet seed apparently, more wews.
    2 moar pogeymans have been revealed, Kitereguma (kiteretsu daiyakka wait.. Wha?) a normal/fight teddy bear! D:
    And a ghost/fairy.. Wait for it.....HANDKERCHIEF! Man...

35. Professor Oak

PO Trainer Name:
    Professor Oak
    Normal/Fighting bear is just BEGGING for Scrappy. If it doesn't get it or something similar as a hidden ability, it is finished. Let's hope its "Fluffy" ability is decent.

Ghost / Fairy is a damn cool typing. Weaknesses to Ghost and Steel means that it won't be stopping Gengar or Metagross anytime soon, but immunities to Fighting, Normal and Dragon and 4x Bug resistance? That's not too shabby at all. Sure, it doesn't have any other notable resistances, so powerful moves of other types can probably still muscle by, but that isn't a terrible typing in my eyes. (p.s. FUCK YOU GAME FREAK STOP RUINING MY HERACROSS)

I also really like the design of the Ghost / Fairy Pokémon. It is wearing a badly drawn Pikachu disguise. How is that not awesome?

I'm slowly starting to be won over by the designs made in Sun and Moon. I just hope they make the game fun too.

EDIT: I'd like to note that I didn't actually see the design for the bear, I only saw the info... man, that does not do it for me at all.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
  36. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Inb4 ghost pika! >:D Ghost also means neutrality to poison. Any idea/guesses on what Disguise can do? If it maybe negates weaknesses on full health or something then great.

37. Dominique-XLR

Dominique-XLR I'm a simple man. I see boobs, I like.

^Noobverse that is called Multiscale, and we already got a new version of it. Lunala has it.
    Right now it feels like illusion. Wonder how it will be different.

Also one doesn't have to be a genwunner to dislike these latest mons, just saying.

38. Blitzamirin

Blitzamirin Waluigi! Number one!

PO Trainer Name:
    Blitz
    NEW POKEMON.

Mudsdale = This horse is really cool but totally unconventional haha. The Mono Ground-type is pretty neat and Stamina sounds like a solid ability provided it gets recovery. Probably standalone and the trailer showcased a hoove move so it also gets a sig.

Comfey = Ah, the weak, frail Fairy-type that looks part Grass-type but isn't of the gen. This will probably have evolutions a la Flabebe. Triage makes recovery moves have the highest priority bracket so this thing will have them, so it could make for an awesome cleric or sweeper.

Bounsweet = Cherubi clone down to the Grass-typing. It's cute but why the fuck is there a Cherubi clone.

Wimpod = Holy shit a Trilobite Pokemon!!!! Bug / Water like Masquerain never was, ability is like an instant Run Away so that's pretty useless. Looks like it'll evolve and potentially lose it though so all good.

I talked about Mimikyu already and I think it's perfect. Ghost / Fairy is awesome and Disguise is a Sub clone: Immunity to damage one time. That's pretty awesome!

Also talked about Bewear and it's lackluster. I love the name though.

Memo' likes this.
  39. Professor Oak

PO Trainer Name:
    Professor Oak
    Wimpod - FUCK. Its ability is pretty poor and makes it hard to catch (assuming its catch rate isn't 255), and if you can't control what comes in instead of it, its ability is of severe detriment to your team. A shame, because Water/Bug is one of the best typings that isn't really utilised, and would make for a very interesting defensive Pokémon - which it might just be, as it was able to take that Vikavolts STAB Electric move (which looked like Spark) and survive. I can only hope that it evolves and gets better abilities. It looks alright too.

Bounsweet - generic cutesy Grass-type mon with generic abilities related to said type. Might evolve, but it is clearly going to be terrible.

Comfey - You can expect to see these things alongside Nurse Joy in the anime. I'm not a fan of its look tbh, it looks more like a Grass-type, but I guessed it was a Fairy upon seeing its image due to it looking slightly similar in concept to Flabébé. I don't really care for the Pokémon itself, but its ability Triage is interesting to me. The description says "Healing moves get the highest priority" on Serebii, but I want to know the details. Is it a weaker Prankster, or does it bypass all other moves (except for maybe Pursuit on a fleeing mon and Focus Punch's charge)? Is Aromatherapy / Heal Bell covered by this? Is Heal Pulse? Could you use Protect in Doubles with 1 mon, and use Heal Pulse to heal them before they are protected from the opponents' attacks? Certainly something to watch out for, especially if this ability gets Traced - Porygon2 with priority Recover? Oh god please no.

Mudsdale - Ground-type Clysdale. Gets a signature Ground-type move, which I imagine will be something like Trample or Hoof Kick or smth, and Tauros might get access to that move somehow. The Pokémon itself is... a horse, can't really say it's good nor bad. Its ability of Stamina, however, is interesting. +1 Defense if it gets hit is what is being reported. Obviously, that's not too good due to Special attacks still destroying it, but it could be very interesting indeed. Also, shoutout to Own Tempo, which seems to be wasted on this Pokémon.

Mimikyu - OMG DISGUISE IS AMAZING. Without a doubt, I am using this guy when I play Gen 7. The question now is this: How does Disguise act in relation to entry hazards? Also... I'm now pretty sure its stats are going to be terrible. It has an amazing typing, an amazing ability, an amazing design... they're going to give it crappy stats to try and balance it out. geam frek pls no

Bewear - Still a shit design. Still a shit mon. Fluffy is a poor-man's Dry Skin: I would rather have Water Absorb + Rain Dish + Fire Weakness over Fur Coat + Fire Weakness. Still, this could make Bewear fearsome as a defensive Pokémon if it has the right stats. Furfrou's max HP/Defense stats are 354/240 and...
    252+ Atk Choice Band Heracross Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Furfrou: 308-366 (87 - 103.3%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
    ...so Bewear might just have some utility.

40. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Um.. no. More like so op ability that completely negates damage like 0 hp dealt and stuff, and lookie that is what the ability does! :D

Opinions:-
    The Puppet: Holy shit! It just changed from unloved to much loved. Definitely worth using especially with such typing and ability omg.

Bewear: Eh, the name is great, the ability seems like Fur Coat+ dry skin weakness. Wynaut just Fur Coat, what's the point making pointless abilities? :c
    I think this is going to a physically bulky attacker tbh, something with high hp/atk/def and lacklustre speed and special stats.. I hope it's shiny colouration isn't white and green.

Wimpod- A wimp mon. I love the typing but is it doomed to be the next Surskit? Forgotten and unloved? Is it going to evolve to something really badass or is it going end in as some kinda gimmick mon in LC with scald???

Bounsweet- Cute mon.

Comfey- Does Triage get espeed prio? y/y? If so, then it is going to a solid mon if it has the def stats and hp and most of all wish.