1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pokemon Sun and Moon - Pre-release discussion (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Pokémon Chat' started by Professor Oak, May 10, 2016.

1. Dominique-XLR

Dominique-XLR I'm a simple man. I see boobs, I like.

(Damn, can't get any thing done these days)

Wimpod: He could've been the very best, like no one ever was. But now he can't because his classmates bully him for being a literal wimp. His ability isn't as bad as it sounds. Basically Hazard+volt switch+fodder for late game in one turn, if it gets enough speed that is. I hope it evolves to become Ballsy.

Bounsweet: Generic descendant of Jumpluff, Vileplume, etc etc. Unoriginal but Okay design (so above average this gen), nothing interesting.

Comfey: Yet again another object mon. Last time it was keys. This time it's a garland. Why must the new fairies be this way? Triage is a double battle ability. In 1v1 it's a weaker prankster (there's the possibility of it actually out prioritizing ex-speed, but that seems way too situational)

Mudsdale: Sad & Manly Pony? Hello, Bronies. It haven't seen too many competitively viable horses for some reason (irl they have great stats) but Mudsdale here might just change that. A slowish tank, I bet there will be plenty of reason to use it. Lol Highhorse Power.

Beware: Best thing about this pokemon might be the pun itself (Gen 7 nomenclature seems to be just make puns). I saw it's ability and first thing that came to my mind was 'Stahp the Tough Claws'. Then I remembered 1) Mega Zard X is a fire type 2) Mega Metagross would most likely switch in freely still do a number with zen. I reckon it would handle non HC M-Aero. Nothing to write home about. It has 3 resists, 1 immunity, but fighting/fairy/psychic/flying coverage will screw it over.

Mimikyu: This one might just be OP af, goddamn! It's stabs are resisted by just Pyroar. We don't know yet whether Disguise works on first switch or every switch. Regardless, if it got a setup move, the opponent is screwed. If it's got sub+ disable, those 3 freaking immunities and 4x resistance to bug will be a major pain in the arse.
    Oh and I've read somewhere it's eyes are in the tits. That's some disguise lol.

2. Escoffier

Escoffier New Member

I.Am.Too.Hype.For.Tapu.Koko.

Elec gets a lovely buff in Tapu that it's been needing for so long<3

3. Arceus_17

Arceus_17 Avoid eye contact

PO Trainer Name:
    [Brief]A_17
    Some cool mons, others look rubbish. Very curious to see the plot and the new region of course. I have high expectations, definetly going to buy the game.

Zoroark likes this.
  4. Sasuke Uchiha

Sasuke Uchiha God of tits and wine

PO Trainer Name:
    Yellan
    https://youtu.be/3AZHowhxM0U

Too much to talk about, just watch.
    Now I have to get these games just to play with that ridicilous looking Exeggutor.

Blitzamirin and Joyverse like this.
  5. Joyverse

Joyverse Back for a blast!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    I legit lol'd at the alola ninetales and sandslash typing and abilities.. Wtf really?
    Pokemon kinda went full retard with the Exeggutor...
    Sweet Mega Evos and now Z Moves... more power creep incoming.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  6. Insane Soul

Insane Soul Griffith did nothing wrong.

PO Trainer Name:
    Insane Soul
    [​IMG]

Also, time to praise dat sun!
    [​IMG]

Joyverse likes this.
  7. IceKirby

IceKirby A.K.A. RiceKirby

PO Trainer Name:
    RiceKirby
    I need that Ice Sandslash. I really need it.

My first thought regarding Z-moves was not very positive. Even if you can only use it only once per battle (was it made clear if it's once per battle or once per Pokémon at each battle?), if Z-moves count as a 5th move slot, then it's still another possible action added, which together with MegaEvo is kind of breaking the simplicity core that Pokémon always had.
    To better explain this: Initially, at any given turn, you had at most 9 possible actions available (use one of the 4 moves from your active Pokémon, or change your active Pokémon with one of the other 5 available). With Mega Evolution this, this amount increased to 13 (Mega Evolve + Use one of the 4 moves). Since it seems you need an item to use Z-Move, then the amount couldn't possibly go up to 14, but it's still a new different action available.
    tl;dr: I miss the simple "Just pick one of your 4 moves" aspect.

Blitzamirin likes this.
  8. Dominique-XLR

All right, this is going to be long.

New Forms:
    • I'm not entirely sure why a grass type or fire type would have trouble thriving in tropical region. It's not making sense to me yet.
    • With Sandslash & Ninetails, GF seems to be bringing back Crystal Onix These mons were already very good looking. So if these look cool thats because they were cool to begin with.
    • Ice/Steel is not a good typing. 4x weakness to fire, fighting, 2x to ground. Losing rocks resist is a bad for a spinner like Sandslash.
    • Ice/Fairy isn't too good either. 4x weakness to steel is not good. Tho I'll concede it will do very well against most special/mixed dragons bar Flash canon Hydra.
    • I don't know what part of a coconut tree even remotely reminds anyone of a dragon. That said normal Eggsy had the offensive and defensive stats to wreck havoc. Now with a better typing it should be useful for real.
    • Frisk & Snow Cloak both are useless.

New Pokemons
    • Gumshoos: If it isn't the super adorable Donald Drump, now evolved to be the president. Gumshoos definitely the best pokemon from Pokemon S&M. #Make_Pokemon_Great_Again.
    • Mudbray: Exactly what you'd expect from Mudsdale pre-evo.
    • Minior: So our new Meteor pokemon is a real meteor. It's the sort of design that is neither good nor bad. But, dayum this thing has a very strong ability. Immunity to status + high defense upto 50% health, bellow that it probably gets a speed & power boost. Looks like a very exciting pokemon and I'm 99% sure GF will not give it power gem.
    • Fomantis & Lurantis: Gen 7 Lilligant. Enuff said.
    • Oricorio: These are pretty cool and pretty cute, will probably be quite good in Doubles. But I can almost see bad stats and movepool written all over these mons
    New Mechanics:

• Z Move: Simply put, I don't like it. For a long time I have pondered what if pokemons could have 5 move slots instead of 4 (As a Metagross fan the 4mss was infuriating). But I have realized everything needs a basic framework, and while change is inevitable, if you change something too much it ceases to exist. It's like removing stumps from cricket, adding another hoop/goal post for basketball/football. It messes with the framework.
      That said, maybe this will finally end my days of competitive battling. I could welcome this change for that alone.
    • Island Battles: This I like. Finally GF has decided to change things up a bit and discarded the 8 gym framework. Last time I brought this up some of you acted as if I've insulted their religion XD.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
    Draciel likes this.
  9. pokemonnerd

pokemonnerd Only uso listens to pnerd. Devo too. Article Contributor Article Contributor

Z attacks are only able to be used once a match according to the trailer so that shouldn't be all that much of an issue. They also seemed locked into the type that the pokemon has from the trailer so it's probably just going to be a desperation move fast pokemon can use or a one time nuke that choiced pokemon take advantage of. Really don't think it'll have that much of an impact unless they can be of a different typing than the pokemon itself.

Edit: so after actually looking up the future mechanic, it'll still require a good prediction from the z move user.

Also the new exeggutor just looks really fucking silly. Grass dragon is cool though.

10. Blitzamirin

Blitzamirin Waluigi! Number one!

PO Trainer Name:
    Blitz
    Choiced Pokemon can't use Z-Moves because usage of them requires a Z-Crystal.

To be quite honest, unless Z-Moves are OHKO moves, idt these will be a factor in regular competitive matches. Once a match only, and they are looking to have to match the type of the Pokemon using them... VGC can probably put these to good use thanks to Item Clause and them theoretically being powerful enough to pierce Protect.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  11. Professor Oak

Professor Oak same Forum Administrator Server Owner Social Media Rep Forum Administrator Server Owner Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Professor Oak
    What
    the
    FUCK

I'm over the moon that we got the Grass/Dragon we always wanted (fuk Mega Sceptile), but holy shit I did NOT expect THAT. Idk if that's a sign that Mega Evolution isn't going to be a part of Gen 7 though, cos idk why you'd thrown random new forms on older Pokémon. I can't help but think that they'd have been better off making new designs for new Pokémon instead of making new versions of older Pokémon. With that rant over, back to the reveals:

- Eggy... well, at least it makes sense. Exeggutor was a coconut tree, now it is a massive palm coconut tree. I'm interested in the stat spread now though. Grass/Dragon on a non-Mega is cool, Frisk is a bit of a poor ability, but I think I have to use it on my team. How can I not?

- Vulpix + Ninetales... are they changing Ninetales' normal form to Fire/Fairy? If not, having its Ice-form be Ice/Fairy is silly. They look cool, pun not intended, the typing is a bit silly but unique, and Snow Cloak is a crap ability. Could be interesting though. Ice Vulpix is cute as fuck.

- Sandshrew + Sandslash... well these guys actually look awesome! One problem: Why are they still SAND Pokémon? Another unique typing in Ice/Steel is cool, and I'm interested to see how they're going to be. However, just like the other older remade Pokémon: WHY NOT MAKE NEW ONES?

- Oricorio is a nice idea at least. Dancer is a pretty cool ability, scaring setup mons into thinking twice before setting up... but Oricorio needs a high Speed stat to make that ability work well. It also potentially makes it a fearsome Doubles Pokémon, assuming you want to risk setting up a Dance move with its partner. None of its typings are unique though: Zapdos and Charizard (and possibly Moltres) will almost certainly remain more commonly used for their respective typings; Xatu has Magic Bounce, and Sigilyph has a few tricks up its sleeve with Magic Guard; and Drifblim... is probably most likely to be swapped out. Drifblim has Unburden, but is almost never seen at all, so perhaps the Ghost-typed Oricorio could be a nice alternative? It remains to be seen. It is a cool design also: 4 different dance types for 4 different forms, each being completely unique with its own typing and its own typed unique move... man, Gen 7 sure loves its formes... 4 different forms, 1 for each island?

- Minior... another dual-formed Pokémon, with an ability that activates below 50% HP, another thing Gen 7 seems to absolutely love. Anyway, Rock / Flying tends to be fast and powerful, with Aerodactyl and Archeops demonstrating this. Its bulk prior to its forme change could make things interesting, and could make it an interesting setup Pokémon also. Immunity to status prior to having the shell broken is also cool. I want to see its stats both pre and post change though, because it has stiff competition in the fossils. Also, it has 4 unique colour options - 1 per island?

- Gumshoos... generic Normal-type for the most part. Stakeout is cool, hitting things switching in twice as hard as normal, making it risky to switch around it. Strong Jaw is always a decent ability for the STAB-like boost to Crunch and other Biting moves. I can't see it being a game-changing Pokémon, but it might be one to watch out for in the lower tiers. I dunno why it wants to build a wall around Mexico though.

- Fomantis + Lurantis... generic Grass-types for me. Leaf Guard is a trash ability, and I know that Solar Blade is a physical Solar Beam, so...

- MUDBRAY IS SO FUCKING CUTE

- Flying on a Charizard? Riding Tauros and Mudsdale? Surfing on Sharpedo? All cool things, but I hope they don't feature too heavily, as the novelty could wear off quickly. Riding a Skiddo in X and Y is still fun because you can only do it for such a short time. If you could do it throughout the game... it'd still be pretty cool tbh. LEMME RIDE A ZARD ALL THE WAY ACROSS THE REGION.

- Alola Island Challenge... did they just try to make the Orange Islands canon in the video games? Outside of the new additions, I am getting major Orange League vibes from this shit. Are they going to have to be done in a set order? I hope not, I kinda want to be able to choose which one I want to do next, and have them change the levels of the characters on that island according to which order I'm doing it in. That'd be ace, so I imagine you can't do that at all :(

- Z-moves... this is the one I've been avoiding until now. You need a move of that type, and you need to hold the stone respective to that type, and then you can use the Z-move for that type. Does it have to be an attacking move? If not, can all Dragons just run Toxic and use the Poison Z-move to counter the Fairy that comes in to force it out? It is literally Mega Evolution for moves: 1 use per battle for the entire team, requires item slot, overpowered bullshit that makes the game less fun for everyone. Why include it? It appeals to the kids that will mimic it IRL, it is something cool for the anime to do, it is something that may massively affect competitive Pokémon and thus they didn't consider it for competitive battling at all cos it'll push units. I at least gave Mega Evolution some credit for being cool, introducing new types and concepts and providing some fun... this just looks like a big ball of bullshit bundled with some buttfucking.

Lemme get this straight... No Zygarde forms in XY, when it was introduced. Its forms are in S/M. Z-moves are in S/M. Z... Zygarde... not XY sequel... oh god Zygarde is gonna feature in the story of Z-moves and it's going to be horrible.

...and I was beginning to look forward to Sun and Moon...

Dominique-XLR likes this.
  12. pokemonnerd

pokemonnerd Only uso listens to pnerd. Devo too. Article Contributor Article Contributor

Spoilers: Zygarde shoots to Ubers after its 50% and complete forms are revealed to be able to have all of its move slots be Z Moves not restricted by an item or the once per match clause.

Oh and z crystals are found to be part of zygarde because if it's actually going to be like this then that's one of the most probable routes a Nintendo game will go with it lol.

13. Insane Soul

Insane Soul Griffith did nothing wrong.

PO Trainer Name:
    Insane Soul
    [​IMG]

The way this was written might just be Serebii trying to come up with some coherent descriptions, filling in the blanks left by the trailers, but otherwise it pretty much implies linear progress, having to complete a trial to move to the next island.

14. Dominique-XLR

I read Kahuna and all I can think about is Samuel L. Jackson eating burgers.

pokemonnerd likes this.
  15. pokemonnerd

I don't see why it wouldn't be linear progress. It's a traditional style rpg: see Beef gate for what happens in these games when you're able to go anywhere you want to but really can't.

Although they could make it possible to go everywhere so grinding will be easier when the levels jump up from island to island, this is nintendo making a mainstream pokemon game. It's why the only reason I've completed them since diamond and pearl is a blind nuzlocke.

16. Xdevo

Xdevo Phrasing Super Moderator Tour Director Super Moderator Tour Director

Game Freak has been blocking de-linearization of the Pokemon series for a while. Platinum got rid of the tiny bit of flexibility that DP had. BW and ORAS had some of most absurd blocking, pretty much immediately after every single gym. I really doubt they're going to go to any thing close to an open world. I think even getting rid of the 8 gym system would be a terrible idea, especially if they only put 4 challenges to replace them.
    People complaining about XY having no content will definitely be more annoyed if even in-game content is stripped for some pointless reason.

beef gate makes me think of a vagina

Professor Oak and pokemonnerd like this.
  17. Sasuke Uchiha

Sasuke Uchiha God of tits and wine

PO Trainer Name:
    Yellan
    From Serebii: The first images from CoroCoro have leaked and have revealed the latest news on Sun & Moon. As always, do note that translations are preliminary while we work on them. The little sandcastle is called Sunabaa while the big one is called Shirodesuna. Both are Ghost/Ground-type. Pre-evolved Bewear is called Nuikoguma and remains Normal/Fighting-type. and the fish is Yowashi is Water-type and appears to have the ability to change its appearance from its Single Form into a larger fish, its School Form. It also confirms Alolan Meowth & Marowak. Alolan Meowth is Dark-type while Alolan Marowak is Fire/Ghost-type. Alolan Meowth developed after being bred by the royal family of Alola. Alolan Marowak developed in response to its natural predators in order to resist them.
    We also see the first bits of the antagonist team, Team Skull. Its boss is called Guzma and the girl is Plumeri.
    It also confirms that next month's issue will contain a poster featuring Rockruff's "Secret Evolution".

The Rockruff thing is very interesting. The leak that already predicted a lot of things to happen (like no gyms, new pokemon forms...) said that Rockruff would get a different evolution depending on the island you leave it on. (It's supposed to be a werewolf pokemon that stays behind on some cliff and howls at the moon or whatever). The same leak also said that the starters would get TWO final evolutions, which is unprecedented and I like the idea a lot.
    Team Skull looks like the Biker and Cue Ball trainer class lol.

18. Dominique-XLR

New Pokemons:
    • Sunbaa & Shirodesuna: Silly & simplistic looking pokemon with a lot of character: I like them. They remind me of Muk & Grimer, and they were absolutely lovable.
    • Yowashi: Like the concept. The fish doesn't look overly generic or hideous like Bruxish; so that's another pro.
    • Rockruff: Still do not find it interesting.

New Alola forms:
    Ugh, GF looks to be simply retyping mons at this point. These two both seem like such a fan service, an attempt at using nostalgia and popularity of the mangas to sell games. Don't tell me a Dark type Meowth is a result of evolutionary changes in Alola. Ghost type Marowak makes sense, but not the additional Fire typing.

Team Skull: They tried too hard to make them look douche bag imo. What's wrong with a good looking villain? Biker girls should look hot and have pierecings/tattoos.

19. pokemonnerd

I like how the addition of fire typing will instantly send marowak to the lower tiers again.

To be completely fair, a dark type meow evolving differently becaue it's in a tropical region makes about as much sense as a sentient electric poke ball being found in the wild. Or a floating magnet. Pokemon never really tried to make sense, we just kinda rolled with it.

Joyverse and Blitzamirin like this.
  20. Professor Oak

Professor Oak same Forum Administrator Server Owner Social Media Rep Forum Administrator Server Owner Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Professor Oak
    I worry that the Alola Region will actually be so crap that they're hoping fresh new takes on older Pokémon will rescue it. I can't see any reason other than pulling on nostalgia for making these new formes (bar Exeggutor), so I'm legitimately growing more and more concerns as more and more information on Sun and Moon is released.

Anyway, I'll post about the new stuff when the trailer comes out later on in the month. I'd rather comment on the confirmed English things than read CoroCoro translated and posted on Serebii =/

21. Blitzamirin

PO Trainer Name:
    Blitz
    Serebii doesn't have everything. I'm gonna spoiler tag everything that's on Friday's trailer in case people care:

Wishiwashi is a Water-type with the ability Schooling, which summons more Wishiwashi and makes it change form. It can only be triggered at a certain level, so it seems to be a pseudo-evolution.
    Morelull is a Grass / Fairy Pokemon that has Illuminate and Effect Spore as abilities.
    Pyukumuku is a Water-type Pokemon that has the signature ability Innards Out.

Alolan Raichu is Electric / Psychic with the ability Surge Surfer. This doubles the Speed of Alolan Raichu under Electric Surge.
    Alolan Meowth is Dark-type (duh) and keeps Pickup and Technician as abilities.
    Alolan Marowak is Ghost / Fire and has Cursed Body and Lightning Rod as abilities.

Team Skull's Grunts were revealed as well as 2 of their leaders. The "Big Sister of Team Skull" is called Plumeria and the "Big Boss of Team Skull" is called Guzma.

Joyverse likes this.
  22. Professor Oak

PO Trainer Name:
    Professor Oak
    I'll comment on the Japanese trailer slightly, but reserve most of my comments for the English trailer when I have more details and can work shit out better:

Team Skull - sounds like a crap name for a team. I think the theme of the team was playing at the start of the Japanese trailer, and I kinda like it. They mostly look like punks, with their leader looking a bit like a 90s hip-hop reject, like Vanilla Ice. I'm not convinced by the look of them at all tbh.

Grass/Fairy Mushroom thing - looks like shit, moving on

School of Fish - Is a Water-type. The school-forme looks alright, but its ability is another "lose x amount of health and change form" ability, so I think they're seriously struggling with creativity in this gen. At least the reason for changing formes makes a little sense here: Schools of fish tend to band together due to safety in numbers, and then tend to swim away and leave stragglers behind if attacked. It's worth noting that its Base HP doesn't change between formes, so I still find it unlikely that Zygarde-Complete will change its Base HP also, as no other forme that changes mid-battle does this (and tbh, I can't recall any that change Base HP outside of battle either).

Thing that spits its innards out - ...so it used Pain Split. I think that made its HP equal to the Hariyama's. So I think its ability makes the opposing Pokémon lose the amount of HP done to KO it, meaning it can OHKO things with less HP than it. That is a very interesting ability indeed, and one that you definitely would not want to see Traced by Gardevoir, Mega Zam or Porygon2. It's Water-type.

Alola Meowth - ...literally why. There's reports of it having the same abilities and stats are normal Meowth, so... why?

Alola Marowak - I'll admit, it looks pretty cool. I don't get why they had to add the Fire-type to it, as that'll probably drop it right back down the tier list again. It just would've worked better as a solo Ghost-type imo. Still, it looks cool, and this forme can be made sense of through the Marowak ghost in Gen 1, so I can let it slide. WAIT I SEE IT NOW, it's one of those tribal dancer guys with a firey pole. Ok, I get what it is, but why isn't it a new Pokémon? Ugh.

Alola Raichu - Did... did... did they just give Raichu a surfboard tail? THAT'S AWESOME. I mean, it looks like shit, but I get that it is meant to be a tanned Raichu. Why the fuck is it Psychic-type though? Literally would make more sense if it was a Water-type. Highly doubt it won't get to learn Surf. Is it Psychic because it can predict the waves or something? Clutching at straws imo. I do kinda like the form, despite the crap design of everything that isn't its tail, but once again I'm left thinking: Why haven't you just made a new Pokémon?

Also, Alolan forms STILL only exist for Gen 1 Pokémon. It's almost as if they're doing it to draw in nostaligic fans of Gen 1!!!!!

...also I had a scary thought... what if Pokemon transferred from the 3DS Gen 1 games are locked into Alola form only, or are the only way to get the natural form of that Pokémon? Either thing would be pretty bad for the series, imo.

EDIT:

English trailer is now out! Serebii has it on their main page, but I saw it via Nintendo UK's twitter. Comments are as follows:
    - Wishiwashi apparently is able to form a school and reach its more powerful form when it "reaches a certain level" according to the trailer. Poor man's evolution?

- I guess the Innards Out effect correctly, weeeeeeeeeeee

- Mushroom is apparently Grass / Fairy, dunno how I missed that. Illuminate and Effect Spore for abilities, so Effect Spore only really lol. Get Spore though, I think. It still sucks. Gimme Whimsicott anyday (unless its stats are godlike).

- The Team Skull theme used in the English trailer is dogshit. I think it is likely their encounter theme. It also seemed more rap/hip-hop than punk rock to me after the encounter theme. Is the rap scene in Hawaii seen as antagonistic to the native culture of Hawaii? I dunno, that was a legit question. Just seems like a crappy idea for a bad guy team to me.

- Marowak seems to get a new Ghost-typed unique move that it uses super-effectively on the Haunter in the trailer. Will it get this on both of its formes? Could certainly make it more interesting to use regardless of its form.

- Raichu's Alola Forme gets Surge Surfer, which is Swift Swim for Electric Terrain. This pretty much confirms that they're making the Terrains be very similar to the Weathers. Let's hope abilities like Tapu Kokos only lasts for 5 turns, or 8 with a specific item, else there's a chance that we repeat Gen 5's weather wars with Terrains.

I'm still getting less and less excited overall as they reveal more and more info at this point. At least Marowak is cool =/

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
    Joyverse likes this.
  23. Dominique-XLR

^ Just want to rephrase that, the new alolan forms look cool, because they were already extremely cool designs to begin with. Think about it: Ninetails, Sandslash, Marowak... all are gen 1's finest creation. So can't really credit GF for making them look cool, they basically added different colored shade.
    Only creative one was Eggsy, tho it's more weird than creative.

Wishywashy: Well my wishes just got washed away. In battle form changes are bad, period. Meloetta with her 600 bst barely manages to pull it of. Really disappointing.

Pyukumuku: This is quite interesting. A mon whose purpose is to die and take someone else with him. I'll name it ISIS.

Morelull: More lol XD. Did it just gave the baby donkey a middle finger? Btw, don't worry Oak, it's stats gonna suck, it's pretty obvious really.

Team Skull: Wow they are even worse then I initially thought. Why isn't Plumery hot? Why? What a waste of potential. Charles the Heartbreaker was better than this bunch of doofus.

Pretty sure Alolan Raichu had sex with Lopunny.

20 years later, Gyarados is still using hyper beam, sigh.

Blitzamirin likes this.
  24. Professor Oak

PO Trainer Name:
    Professor Oak
    Even though it's terribly competitively, you have to admit that it is a badass move.
    I think them bringing back the Gen 1 sound for Hyper Beam in Gen 6 was one of the best moves they made lol

yeah, I think the mushroom's stats will suck major ass. No way it'll be better than Amoonguss, you can tell from the abilities alone.

That's a point... What about Hidden Abilities for these new Pokémon? Is the DexNav returning? Is the Friend Safari returning? How are we getting Hidden Abilities for these Pokémon?

1 slight issue with your "most badass designs" point, and I know you excluded it for a reason: Meowth. That shit is awful lol

(p.s. I meant that Marowak's new design is arguably cooler than its older design. I actually really like it)

25. Dominique-XLR

I excluded Meowth because no one was saying "omg omg what an alolan form'.
    As far as generic cat goes its not all that bad.
    Dood they literally just put fire on the bone and drew fire in his forehead. This is the least they could to convey it's a fire type.
    Similarly they just put Sandslash in the deep freeze for 1 hour, opened the refrigerator and served it cold.

Hyper beam is a DBZ rip off. This is why you like it, don't lie.

Effect Spore is actually ridiculously strong. It's one of those abilities that can 1v6 you. But that shit ain't reliable, and its design tells me it's small & frail>>> inb4 suckage.

26. Aurist

Aurist I do not jump for joy. I frolic in doubt.

Fwiw I really like Team Skull, I think it is really faithful to that asian b-boy aesthetic which was popular in the 90s and is resurging in popularity again. The grunts look like extras from a G-Dragon music video and I'm here for that. It doesn't necessarily fit the area they're in but I think they're just going for an interesting aesthetic there rather than consistency, and to expect consistency in aesthetic/theme from Pokemon games in 2016 seems dumb lol. Maybe if this was 1999.

BIG fan of Alola Raichu, that thing looks both adorable and badass and I'm very interested to see what this new terrain interaction does in the game. I'd rather see the game get upended with crazy new strats than the game keep doing the same thing it's been doing in gen 6.

Alola Meowth is interesting to me flavour-wise, with that story about it being raised differently and imported by royal families before their deposition, leaving them unnaturally in the wild. That alone makes me like it even if the design is a bit plain.

I'm the opposite of you I think Oak, the more they reveal the more I'm feeling like they have a great vision for the overall picture of the region and aren't afraid to take on some of the more weird and wacky wildlife that lives in pacific islands. I think people are being too harsh on a lot of different pokemon for no reason other than "it's different, I don't like it".

Sasuke Uchiha likes this.
  27. Professor Oak

PO Trainer Name:
    Professor Oak
    Turtonator looks... a bit daft, but I get what they were going for. I think it's not a bad design, just a bit daft.

Fire / Dragon is alright, but weak to EQ, weak to Rocks, Azumarill fucks it in the arse... Its unique move looks to be weird as hell. It *might* have priority similar to Protect, but that's purely speculation. How much damage is done if it gets attacked? Is it 1/8th? 1/6th? Is it an actual attack with Base Power attached? Does it hit multiple Pokémon?

Despite all those questions, I feel like that move won't see any actual use in competitive battling. I can't see it being a move worth using over Draco Meteor, Fire Blast or another coverage or setup move.

I hope it gets good stats though. At least, I'd like to think it'd be usable in the lower tiers.

28. willdbeast

willdbeast All round nice guy

PO Trainer Name:
    willdbeast
    If every pokemon can use z-moves this means a revolution in competitive battling... unown has TWO moves!

Joyverse, Professor Oak and mibuchiha like this.
  29. Professor Oak

PO Trainer Name:
    Professor Oak
    1. Would a Pokémon's IVs set the type of the Z-move it could use if Hidden Power is chosen, or
    2. Would it just get the Normal-typed Z-move?

Unown gets either 1 type of move to use, or its Hidden Power and a Normal-type move. Tyranitar and Steel types still destroy it, and it still doesn't get access to Fairy-type moves.

I find it more likely that Pokemon such as Wobbuffet, Unown and Magikarp won't be allowed to use Z-moves.

30. TraceofLife

TraceofLife Lucky Strike

PO Trainer Name:
    TraceofLife
    (23:53:22) fitzy: Sandygast has the new Water Compaction Ability, an Ability that no previous Pokémon has had. With Water Compaction, its Defense stat will go up by 2 if it’s hit with a Water-type move.
    (23:53:44) gengar17: when it doesnt matter cuz everyone cilcks scald

sums up my thought on Sandygast and Palossand.

anyway i really think that the designs are cute tho.

Professor Oak likes this.
  31. Professor Oak

PO Trainer Name:
    Professor Oak
    I have to agree, Water Compaction seems a bit bleh. Doesn't really help against Physical Water-types either, as it is still weak to them, and most of them use Dark- or Ice-type coverage moves. A shame, but it still looks alright. I think Golurk is still going to be the superior Ground/Ghost.

Crabrawler - solo Fighting-type crab with boxing gloves on. Hyper Cutter and Iron Fist are good abilities for a physical Fighting-type. It looks a bit weird, but I like its design.

Stufful - just looks dumb imo. I do like the tag on its rear that shows it is a stuffed bear though, that's a nice touch.

32. Blitzamirin

PO Trainer Name:
    Blitz
    Z-Moves are now much more competitively attractive with the reveal that you don't have to be the type of the Z-move to use it. Sadly until we know their BP this is just an afterthought.

On the mons themselves:

Crabrawler: It's based on the coconut crab, which will drown in water if submerged for more than an hour (hence the lack of a Water typing). Because it is another crab mon I don't really like it that much. Hyper Cutter stops Intimidate spam and Iron Fist opens a few possibilities movepool wise so we'll see.

Stufful: I like the tag on the back which makes it more similar to a toy bear. Unfortunately I heavily dislike Bewear and this thing so meh.

Sandygast: It's kinda cute but inferior to its evolution. The lore is nice though.

Palossand: I really love this design. Water Compaction is a pretty garbage ability but hopefully the HA redeems it (Arena Trap please GameFreak). This thing also eats adults which is awesome.

33. Dominique-XLR

Turtonator: This design.... it's not bad, but it's weird af. The whole zigzag body and the color makes me think it's made out of lego. I hope it's signature move isn't just Metal burst with fancy name.

Crabrawler: This is one dope mofo. Did you notice the mohawk it's sporting? If the answer is no, do look at it. If the answer is yes, praise it. This is easily one of the best designs this gen (granted that isn't saying much). The color theme seems to be designed to taunt us 'Water Type Water Type'. I hope it's good competitively.

Sandygast & Palsossand: I've said this before, they are the grimer/muks of gen 7 and that is by no means a bad thing. Similar their poison brethren, our sand castles have simplistic design but the expression makes up for it, giving them a lot of personality. The only issue I have with their design is. did they have to keep the shovel? Also why does it move like a freakin beacon?
    Now, lets talk about it's ability. You know, we didn't actually see it lose hp in the trailer, so I'm still clinging on to hope that water compaction gives it water immunity, or at least neutrality. The folks in GF has to have at least that much sense right? Please tell me I'm right....

Stufful: Omg it has a buttplug.... oh god why?

34. Professor Oak

PO Trainer Name:
    Professor Oak
    New things announced today during the Nintendo Direct!

Alolan Rattata - Dark / Normal makes it die to Mach Punch... but I kinda like the typing combined with its new ability. It gets Gluttony and Hustle, and I'm obviously talking about Hustle. Crunch goes from 80 BP to 180 BP and Return goes from 102 BP to 229.5 BP after 1.5x STAB boost and 1.5x Hustle boost, and every other physical move it gets will also get the 50% Hustle boost. Of course, it is still going to be a pretty terrible Pokémon, especially if Raticate doesn't also get a form that is extremely similar. I like the design though, and we finally got an explained reason for this form change: Yungoos's introduction forced Rattata to change its habitat and forced it to evolve into a new form. I can accept this for that one bit of story telling. If I'm given similar stories for the other Alolan forms (except Eggy cos obvious) then I'll accept them too.

Exclusive Z-moves - "Stoked Sparksurfer" looks like the Z-move exclusive to Alola Raichu, but it might be available to other Raichu too. Pulverizing Pancake is exclusive to Snorlax, with the Z-crystal seemingly being event exclusive to a Munchlax that's being given out to early buyers of Sun and Moon. It confirms unique Z-crystals for each type, but there is also exclusive Z-crystals for specific Pokémon... someone out there is reporting that Mega Evos ARE dead thanks to this change, but until that is stated either way, I daren't comment.

35. pokemonnerd

What the fuck are all these shit type changes besides grass/dragon. I'm glad Nintendo is truly trying their hardest to be revolutionary with these competitive type changes.

Dark/Normal Raticate better keep Guts, otherwise that Dark type is just a fighting priority magnet.

Thinking more and more on it I really wish they still went with more mega evolutions for this generation. At least they had an impact when it didn't break the pokemon. These Z moves either seem like they'll be borderline if not completely useless or just break one or two pokemon that get them. A one time use on a single move seems back breaking if the pokemon needs LO or any other offensive item to be competitive otherwise.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  36. Dominique-XLR

Hey Oak, your mum just destroyed Donald trump holy fuk

Dark-Normal Rattata, ordinary af designwise. It's an improvement sure, specially on Ratticate. Guts+SD+ Sucker punch will do a number. Crunch/pursuit for aoa sets will be viable now. I cant see it finding opportunity to setup tho.

The girl was standing Snorlax's belly. I think GF is looking at memes for inspirations. Also now we get more fan service.

Guys I don't mind alola forms. I don't mind mega evolution, at least not any more. However, I'm incredibly annoyed at this half arsed gen exclusive buffs. Why can't gen 7 mons get mega evos? Has it run out of fashion to increase your stats by 100?

Professor Oak likes this.
  37. Professor Oak

PO Trainer Name:
    Professor Oak
    New trailer released! Gonna go over it all in the order it was announced.

Type: Null - ...what a shite name for a Pokémon. I've heard people speculating about how it could make all attacks neutral or have some of the best stats in the game... and then I pointed out it gets Battle Armor and is immune to crits, and they instantly think it is shite. It says on the website that the mask was "designed to control its latent powers" and that it "serves to hinder Type: Null's agility". From this, I read that it is slow as fuck, and that it might get a fast form without its mask. Regardless, crappy Normal-type. Not a fan of its design either tbh.

Jangmo-o - it looks like a pre-evolution. I really hope it is. The website's description of it "In its pursuit to become stronger, it never neglects its training" puts across that it might be a pre-evo too. Soundproof is a good ability, Bulletproof is an amazing ability. A lot of promise here. Its design is alright.

Alola Raticate - well, I said they'd do it... but holy fuck is it fat lmao. It is literally just an evolved Alola Rattata, so see my previous post for comments on it. With that being said, Raticate's size and description give a solid reasoning for its 2nd ability of Gluttony, so well done Game Freak there.

Sun and Moon being 12 hours apart - I was confused as to what this meant in the trailer, but the official website clears this up. Pokémon Sun follows your real time clock on your 3DS, whereas Pokémon Moon follows your real time clock BUT adds 12 hours to it, so it is always on an opposite time to Pokémon Sun. Other than that, no further information was given, which still leaves a few questions unanswered. Still, this is probably the most notable difference between 2 seperate versions of the same game since Black / White's Opelucid City.

Aether Foundation - Let us be perfectly honest here... an entire group of people that are dedicated to "[providing] shelter for Pokémon" and "also conduct various research projects" on their own man-made island? These guys are obviously bad guys. This is not confirmed at all, but I find it all just a little too nice. Anyway, Lusamine mentions Pokémon outside of the Alola region will be safe here, so perhaps this links into transferring Pokémon from previous games? They are seen to be opposing Team Skull, but I think that's a cover story.
    also why do I get the feeling Lusamine is going to get the Flannery, Sabrina, May and Misty treatment...

Gladion - I kinda like his design. No-nonsense enforcer of Team Skull, I approve thus far.

Dexio and Sina - oh yay, they're back, i am so unhappy!!!!!!!! They're here to serve the purpose of setting you on the "hunt for Zygarde" section of Sun and Moon. I hope they don't play too much more of a role, but their appearance has only really changed in order to fit the new setting. Perhaps Sun and Moon happens at a similar time to XY?

Poké Finder - So, people were looking for a sequel to Pokémon Snap, right? GUESS YOU'LL HAVE TO BUY SUN AND MOON THEN. At least, this has the ability to be interesting enough to draw people into the game, and could be a nice little side mode for those wanting a break from the story. I'm interested.

Ultra Beasts, more specifically, UB-01 - MORE CRAP NAMES. Anyway, here's what the official website has to say on it:
    "In the Alola region, rumors are flying about mysterious creatures known as Ultra Beasts. Ultra Beasts possess mighty powers and could pose a threat to humans and Pokémon, so they are feared. It appears that the Aether Foundation is also conducting research on these Ultra Beasts. According to rumor, multiple Ultra Beasts exist, each of them called by a code name."

The Aether Foundation is "researching" these Ultra Beasts. They are totally bad guys.

"UB-01’s body is composed of a glass-like substance. However, it’s constantly changing shapes, never settling on one. While evidence of something like a survival instinct can be observed in UB-01, no one knows whether it has a will of its own or any emotions. It’s said that, for some reason, its movements resemble those of a young girl."

Its description is very much like that of a jellyfish, but the ability to change shapes might imply that it will, and the "movements... of a young girl" provides a weird thought that maybe an NPC is UB-01? Regardless, jellyfish themselves freak me out, so this is a good start imo if they're aiming for beasts that will cause those type of emotions lol

Can't say I'm convinced overall with this trailer, and I'm still wondering how this all pieces together. At this point, I just want to play the game and see for myself.

Joyverse likes this.
  38. pokemonnerd

I will gladly drop 60 bucks to get a sequel of pokemon snap and the next mainstream game, don't know about anyone else.

Ultra beasts sound like the Legendary gerbils. Hopefully we'll be able to randomly run into them on the islands.

I'm also really disappointed at Alolan Raticate losing Guts. It makes it a much worse pokemon than it could have been.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  39. Dominique-XLR

Ridiculous names aside, I like all these changes. And shitty ideas or not, GF at least has tried to be most creative this time around, so props for that.

Blitzamirin and Professor Oak like this.
  40. Raducan

Raducan Well-Known Member

this game is looking fire imo

looks like they're doing away with megas??????