1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[ORAS OU] Volcanion-ing to the top ft. Mega Sceptile [Peaked #1]

Discussion in 'Rate My Team' started by Draciel, May 11, 2016.

Moderators: Edna, fsk
  1. Draciel

Draciel ALLEZ! ALLEZ! ALLEZ!

PO Trainer Name:
    Neo
    [​IMG]
    shoutouts @Lacus Clyne for the lovely banner!

[​IMG]
    Daaaaamn Draciel, back at it again with an OU team - @buny

Hey what's up guys! It's been a while since I posted my last RMT. I'm not an avid OU player (other than playing around with friends for shits and giggles), nor was I a fan of the metagame because the OU meta felt kinda stale to me, with less room for innovation and other cool things when compared to the lower tiers. The release of Volcanion, however, intrigued me enough to get back in OU and try this monster out, so here we are. I have always liked showcasing under-appreciated mons in a tier, so I decided to build this team around the core of Volcanion and Mega Sceptile: something that's rarely used in OU and it performed way better than I expected it to. Due to the hyper offensive nature of the team it predominantly focuses on exerting enough pressure on the opponent consistently, allowing the various win-cons to destroy opposing cores and sweep; it doesn't necessarily have 100% switchins to the some of OU's biggest threats, but I've found out that they are definitely manageable through offensive pressure and an aggressive mindset. I went on to peak the OU ladder with this team, and even though it doesn't mean much, I got the opportunity to try it out against a variety of playstyles and I can safely say this was fairly successful against all of them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(21:21:18) ±Porygon: Your rank in ORAS OU is 1/37245 [1625 points / 84 battles, 72 wins]!

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I started out with the core of Specs Volcanion and Mega Sceptile. They have an excellent offensive synergy as they complement each other's weaknesses really well; and both hit quite hard with their STAB combos.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Volcanion really appreciates something that can reliably trap the fast electrics and [email protected], Slowking, Slowbro, Jellicent and other troublesome mons. CB Tyranitar provides this assistance with trapping like no other and forms a powerful wall breaking duo with Volcanion.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Added Defensive Rocky Helmet Landorus-t as it works well with the aforementioned mons, provides SR and U-Turn support and is my fighting check as well.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

At this point the team was looking kinda slow bar Mega Sceptile, making it vulnerable to offensive teams. Added Thundurus-I with Prankster Twave which not only provides speed-control, it also acts as a sort of an offensive check to flying/fighting/ground types due to it's coverage and power.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Finally I added Scarf Jirachi as a late-game cleaner, which I later changed to Excadrill because the latter provided me Rapid spin support (Scarf Healing wish Jirachi is cool though :[).

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Shoutouts @The Alio for the pic!

Volcanion @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Water Absorb
    EVs: 40 HP / 252 SAtk / 216 Spd
    Modest Nature
    - Steam Eruption
    - Fire Blast
    - Sludge Wave
    - Earth Power/HP grass

Star of the team. Volcanion is one of the few mons that actually lived up to it's pre-release hype; it's a terrifying wallbreaker, and with a Choice specs equipped it has very few safe switchins. Steam Eruption is arguably the best offensive move in the game, a 110 bp STAB move with 30% burn rate (basically a more accurate Hydro pump with Scald's burn rate), and the burn chance lessens it's number of switchins considerably. Standard Slowbro, Defensive Rotom-W: both are readily 2HKOed by Steam Eruption after SR damage. Fire Blast is it's secondary STAB, roasting grass types like Ferrothorn who dare to switch-in recklessly. The final two moveslots are dedicated to coverage, as Sludge Wave KOes fairy types like Azumarill more reliably, whereas Earth Power deals with opposing Volcanion. HP Grass is also a decent option to hit the rare Gastrodon/Jellicent/Seismitoad harder, but having a Sceptile in the back somewhat diminishes it's viability in this case. The EVs are something that worked for me but it might not be optimal, 216 speed Evs with modest nature allows it to hit 230 speed, which outruns Jolly Crawdaunt and 44 spd Landorus-T by 1 point. Just remember that Steam Eruption only has 8 PPs as opposed to Scald's 24, so keep that in mind while spamming it.

[​IMG]
    Shoutouts @gengar17 for the pic!
    Sceptile (M) @ Sceptilite
    Trait: Overgrow
    EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Leaf Storm
    - Focus Blast
    - Hidden Power [Fire]/Substitute/Giga Drain

Sceptile has always been one of my fav mons aesthetically, and with it's mega evolution it became even more appealing. The release of Volcanion has been a blessing in disguise for this royal grass reptile, as it has surged in usage because of the amazing offensive core it forms with Volcanion. Sceptile takes care of all the bulky Water type mons in OU which are troublesome for Volcanion to deal with. It's ability Lightingrod gives it a +1 SpA boost whenever it's struck by an electric type attack, so with the correct prediction it pretty much negates Volcanion's electric weakness as a +1 Mega Sceptile can severely dent opposing teams.

The EVs are self-explanatory, Timid nature with Max SpA/max Speed to hit as hard and fast as possible. Leaf Storm is it's main STAB, and coming from a it's naturally high SpA stat it nukes everything that doesn't resist it (It does a handy 53-63% to standard 84 SpDef+ Clefable). Dragon Pulse is the secondary STAB which does solid damage even when it hits neutrally, and deals with the multitude of Dragon types in the tier. Focus Blast is the primary coverage move which allows it hit steel types which resist both of it's STAB attacks; namely Heatran and Ferrothorn. Now for the final moveslot; I picked HP fire on this build for the sole reason of KOing Mega Scizor, which is it's most common switch-in on balanced offense teams, and is very common on higher ladder Volcanion teams. Getting U-turned/Pursuited in the face makes me lose offensive momentum which is crucial for this team to perform well, and on the plus side it also allows me to do damage to Ferrothorn RELIABLY (Focus Blast never hits trust me). But if you're not worried about all this you can definitely use Substitute/Giga Drain as the final move.

[​IMG]
    Shoutouts @NananaBatman for the pic!

Tyranitar (F) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Sand Stream
    EVs: 76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Crunch
    - Pursuit
    - Stone Edge
    - Superpower

Tyranitar is a great partner for Volcanion as it is able to pressure and trap [email protected], it's #1 switchin. I picked Banded Tyranitar because of the immense wallbreaking ability provided by Choice band is an useful asset to pair with Volcanion, whereas the latter provides water-type and Will-o-wisp immunity. Tyranitar traps and kills [email protected], Slowking, Mega Manectric, Raikou, Goodra, Jellicent, Chansey (only Banded can damage this fat blob): most of the mons which prove troublesome for Volcanion to deal with, whereas Volcanion and Sceptile in exchange deal with fat grounds and Steels which is problematic for this boar.

Set details: 180 speed EVs makes Tyranitar hit 203 speed with outspeeds Max speed Azumarill and standard offensive Venusaur. Adamant and max attack to hit as hard as possible, and the rest in HP for added bulk.

[​IMG]
    Shoutouts dank memer @Cheezeburgar for the pic!

Landorus-T (M) @ Rocky Helmet
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 SDef
    Impish Nature
    - U-turn
    - Earthquake
    - Stealth Rock
    - Stone Edge/Hidden Power [Ice]

Defensive Landorus-T complements the aforementioned mons nicely, providing a much needed Fighting resist, defensive bulk and SR support to the team. This is just the standard defensive set, with high HP/def investment to tank physical hits; and Rocky Helmet is very useful in getting chip damage to physical attackers like Mega Lopunny/Metagross. Earthquake is the main STAB move which still does a decent amount of damage even without any EV investment, U-Turn for momentum and SR for obvious reasons. For the final moveslot, HP Ice/Stone Edge are both viable; HP Ice is useful to deal with opposing Garchomp/Lando-T/Gliscor switchins, whereas Stone Edge kills Talonflame if it dares to stay in and set-up SD (remember to change the nature to Relaxed if you are planning to use HP Ice).

[​IMG]
    Shoutouts @Casparov for the pic!

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Prankster
    Timid Nature
    - Thunderbolt
    - Thunder Wave
    - Focus Blast
    - Hidden Power [Ice]

With three members of the team so far being kinda slow and susceptible to the plethora of speedy mons, I needed to make the team less vulnerable to offensive teams. In comes Thundurus, a staple on HO teams since the inception of XY. Priority Thunder wave in its arsenal provides this team a sweeper check / counterplay to many threats, while obviously functioning as a form of speed control to pave a way for a potential opportunity to sweep or simply allowing another member to revenge kill the crippled mon. Thundurus threatens to paralyze and invalidate a multitude of offensive mons: Mega Alakazam, Serperior, Scarf Keldeo, Mega Charizard X, Mega Lopunny, LO Starmie and so on. It also acts a solid offensive check to threats like Talonflame/Mega Pinsir, threatening to cripple or KO them outright.

Set details: Max SpA and Max speed, Life Orb to do as much damage as possible. Moveset is self-explanatory: Thunder wave for the paras, Thunderbolt is it's main STAB attack, whereas HP ice OHKOes Landorus-T, Garchomp, Gliscor. Focus Blast is the chosen as the final coverage move to deal with Ferrothorn/Spdef Heatran better.

[​IMG]
    Shoutouts cute user @JoyFrost for the pic!

Excadrill (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Mold Breaker
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Iron Head
    - Rock Slide
    - Rapid Spin

Excadrill acts as the main revenge-killer and late game cleaner for the team. High attack+powerful dual STABs make it the ideal for cleaning house late-game when it's checks are sufficiently weakened. Scarf Mold Breaker driller might seem out of place on a team with Tyranitar, but I really needed a reliable fast revenge-killer, and it's sort of risky with only 5 turns of sand at my disposal or when facing opposing weather teams (or if I'm forced to sack Tyranitar early game, Sand Rush Exca becomes really useless without sand support). Excadrill also acts as a spinner when needed, and with scarf it's almost guaranteed to get the spin off; although it's quite hard for the opponent to set up hazards reliably due to the offensive nature of the team.

Set details: This is the standard scarf drill set, max atk/max speed Jolly with Earthquake/Iron Head/Rock Slide/Rapid spin. Jolly is the preferred nature to outspeed Adamant DD Mega Charizard X at +1, and Mega Alakazam.

Other options:

1) Sand Rush Excadrill also works well, so use it if you want to in place of Scarf. Make sure to keep Tyranitar alive till late game to get the sand up and sweep, as Sand Rush Exca is dead weight without sandstorm.

2) Scarf Jirachi is another alternative over scarf drill, if you can make do without rapid spin support. The main draws of scarf rachi over drill are higher speed, and access to U-Turn and Healing Wish. Healing Wish is extremely useful for any offensive team and can turn the game on it's head at any moment. And of course you also get Serene Grace Iron Head to Flinch you out of losing situations ;)

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Serene Grace
    Jolly Nature
    - U-turn
    - Iron Head
    - Heart Stamp/Ice Punch
    - Healing Wish

[​IMG]

Weavile: As is the case with HO teams, Weavile is a massive threat to this team even though it can't switch in on anything. Exca does check it offensively, Volcanion lives a hit and OHKOes back, Tyranitar does the same if it doesn't have Low Kick. If you are really worried about Weavile, you should just add Azumarill to the team.

Thundurus: Another mon that offense hates facing. LO 3 attacks Thundurus with Focus Blast is particularly troublesome for this team to handle, since it OHKOes Tyranitar and Landorus-T both with it's coverage. Your best play is to get SR up as early as possible to limit it's switchins, predict an electric attack and double to Mega Sceptile (+1 Dragon Pulse KOes) or just revenge kill with Excadrill. Exca deserves special mention being one of the few scarfers not vulnerable to priority Twave.

Keldeo: Keldeo is always a pain to face and this team lacks any distinct switch-ins to it. The most immediate solution would be to replace Mega Sceptile with offensive Mega Venusaur which alleviates the problem; adding Azumarill to the team also helps out. Other than that Volcanion prevents it from spamming Scald, whereas Mega Sceptile and Thundurus act as offensive checks to Keldeo.

Tornadus-T: I really hate this thing, it knocks off everything and U-turns on my face like a meanie. Tyranitar can pursuit trap variants lacking Superpower/Focus Blast, Thundurus twaves it making it useless, otherwise Excadrill revenge kills it.

Other common threats to HO would include Mega Gardevoir, LO/Sub Garchomp, Bisharp, Mega Alakazam, Mega Lopunny, Mega Metagross: all these are threatening to the team one way or the other but are manageable.

[​IMG]
    Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Prankster
    Timid Nature
    - Thunderbolt
    - Thunder Wave
    - Focus Blast
    - Hidden Power [Ice]

Excadrill (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Mold Breaker
    Jolly Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Iron Head
    - Rock Slide
    - Rapid Spin

Sceptile (M) @ Sceptilite
    Trait: Overgrow
    Timid Nature
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Leaf Storm
    - Focus Blast
    - Hidden Power [Fire]

Landorus-T (M) @ Rocky Helmet
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 SDef
    Impish Nature
    - U-turn
    - Earthquake
    - Stealth Rock
    - Toxic

Tyranitar (F) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Sand Stream
    EVs: 76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Crunch
    - Pursuit
    - Stone Edge
    - Superpower

Volcanion @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Water Absorb
    EVs: 40 HP / 252 SAtk / 216 Spd
    Modest Nature
    - Fire Blast
    - Steam Eruption
    - Sludge Wave
    - Earth Power

[​IMG]
    That's it folks. Overall I found this a very fun team to play with on ladder, so feel free to try it out and give honest feedback!

Individual shoutouts are very tedious to do so I'm not gonna bother, however if someone really wants to know my honest opinion about them feel free to ask and I'll let them know.
    My friends in FC/RC/Skynet/Susie's/Indigo: love y'all.

Thanks for reading!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. buny

buny heartbreak hotel

PO Trainer Name:
    buny
    you suck

where's my individual shoutout

oh yeah this team is cool

Draciel likes this.
  3. Edna

Edna Chasing the Dragon Forum Moderator Forum Moderator

PO Trainer Name:
    Edna
    Hey Draciel, grats on your peaking!

Your team is well designed and I only have one suggestion: if Focus Blast on Sceptile only hits Heatran then replace it by eq if you're afraid to miss, in both case it's a 2hko so you won't be afraid of missing.

Offense teams always lack Weavile counters, unless they play stuff like CB Azu or Keldeo, but since you decided to build your team around Volcanion there is not much space for these.

You also have to pay attention whenever you face a Mega alakazam cause under a sub it's basically nearly gg.

Since you're having issues with Keldeo and I personally think that Thundurus doesn't add a lot to your core, I guess you could try Latias>Thundurus and CB azu>Driller. I'll give my thought on this and explain why: You severely lacked of Keldeo/Weavile switchins, and your lando was your only Mega Zard X counter, which means with prior damage it's very prone to lose fast and set up to win if jolly ( or at least you'ld have to sack a mon everytime so you send thundurus to para), this is where cb azu helps dealing with it and can also take Weavile's hits and gives you something you didn't have in priority. Latias in the other side is a more safe switch in to opponent Volcanion and can defog away in case you play Sableye ( let's face it, this is annoying you if rocks are up since only Volc will threaten it) which means that with defog you could eventually remove rocks and also later healing wish back your azu or volcanion so they continue their job.

Anyway I love your team, it seems very well structured and I hope my suggestions helped you a bit

Draciel likes this.
  4. Casparov

Casparov This is supposed to be a Medal!

PO Trainer Name:
    Casparov
    Fuck you Carl!
    Thundurus should definitely stay! It's easily the best of his team.
    I agree on switching excadrill out tho it just looks ugly af.

Nice team draciel!

Draciel likes this.
  5. Joyverse

Joyverse Back for a blast!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Gratzu Draciel! Srsly though didn't expect you to do an ou rmt ever but here you are! And look here, I even got an indirect shoutout... ;-;
    Also on another note I don't think you should be that scared of torn. Like you urself said: Exca+Thundy :D
    And so uh, @Draciel , I was stealing your team and I noticed that Lando has Toxic for the fourth move gj.

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  6. JoyFrost

JoyFrost :thonk: Forum Moderator Server Administrator Social Media Rep Forum Moderator Server Administrator Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    JoyFrost
    Grats on your peak Draciel! this team is really cool, just like our arts :3

Draciel likes this.
  7. gengar17

gengar17 someone turn this nothing into gengar

Hello Draciel Grats for ur another RMT.Team seems nice.But sorry i don't have knowledge about this Tier to Help (change drill to sand rush u fgt, u have mega sceptile to hard counter rotom-w) , anyways Grats! :). - [ T R ] Gengar Seventeen.

8. Jethalal

Jethalal (~o.o)~ So Spooky ~(o.o~)

PO Trainer Name:
    Jethalal
    Wow u topped the ladder after losing to me 10-0 xd jk. Nice team and Gratz on ladder peak!

Draciel likes this.
  9. G00GLE

G00GLE G00GLE THE SEARCH ENGINE

PO Trainer Name:
    G00GLE
    Hey Draciel , Congratulations On Your Peak , I didnt know that You play OU lol , This team is pretty solid
    And i accept what Carl Said there.I dont have any knowledges at OU so i can't advice about anything Sorry xD.I would try this team for sure :).

- Yours Friendly Norman :)

10. Velvet Blood

Velvet Blood Well-Known Member

Grats Draciel u smexy indian

11. Cheezeburgar

Cheezeburgar dankest john

PO Trainer Name:
    John
    wow draciel this team is very groovy i like et im going to steal et
    gratz on peak :]

12. LittleRoot

LittleRoot Active Member