1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

Mafia & Safari: Possible Leaderboard

Discussion in 'Mafia' started by Fate Testarossa, May 22, 2016.

Moderators: heartbreaker, Water
  1. Fate Testarossa

Fate Testarossa Unbreakable Bond

PO Trainer Name:
    Fate Testarossa
    This has been brought up a few times between people, so I've decided to make a thread on the forums about it. This way, people can join the conversation at their own convenience without missing anything as well as see what others have to say regarding it.

To keep it simple, the idea being proposed here is to add a mafia activity leaderboard with safari rewards. One thing I would like to point out is the emphasis on the word activity, as a leaderboard based off wins will not be happening for obvious reasons (the main one being targeting).

Ideas that have been discussed previously on the server or here in this thread include:
    • all games giving points vs. only events giving points (as well as giving more points for event games than regular games)
    • more points are given the more players participated in that game
    • fewer points are given for RNG-based themes (this is not limited just to themes that have the word RNG in them)
    • keeping track of alts
    • keeping track of points (especially if this ends up being a manual thing and not run by some bot or something)
    Use this thread to discuss thoughts, ideas, point system, prizes/rewards, how often said prizes should be given (weekly, biweekly, monthly, etc.), pros, cons, etc.

Last edited: May 22, 2016
  2. IceKirby

IceKirby A.K.A. RiceKirby

PO Trainer Name:
    RiceKirby
    I'm 99% against this part. Keeping track of alts is a pain given how fickle the alt system is on PO. Lots of Safari features are already 50% harder to code because of alt changing, having to extend that into a cross-channel event would be even worse.
    Having something like Hangman's pass leaderboard commands would be fine, but expecting Safari keep track of multiples names from another channel that may or may not belong to a same player is inviable.

Fate Testarossa likes this.
  3. Zoroark

Zoroark Rakugaki Forum Moderator Server Moderator Forum Moderator Server Moderator

PO Trainer Name:
    SkyPhoenix / Zoroark
    Perhaps some sort of big reward involving a mafia theme creation contest in order to have a wider theme database in channel? I'm sure people would come up with cool ideas (or so I hope).

I know there was a similar contest made before but I'm not really sure how many of those themes actually won. Still having more themes available doesn't hurt, I believe.

4. Fate Testarossa

PO Trainer Name:
    Fate Testarossa
    Mafia theme creation contests would probably be better if we had [more] mafia players to begin with. That and knowledge of mafia basics would be pretty nice to have as well. Lastly, despite popular themes emerging from theme creation contests, they always seem to fall off in terms of popularity/frequency that they are played.

5. Water

Water Well Respected and Exceptionally Handsome User Forum Moderator Channel Leader Forum Moderator Channel Leader

In some of the MAs previous tries at doing "events" which would offer small rewards for playing mafia, mafia was usually active for maybe 10 minutes after the reward was given out before dying out again. In order to get people to play you have to reward them for their time spent doing something else. For a month you'd need a pretty hefty reward and I wonder if shortening the events to a week would be better long term. This would also lessen any effect you'd see in a drop off from someone getting too big a lead in the leaderboard and people who want a reward not playing because they can't "catch" them later in the month.

I realize I haven't said much positive but i really do like this idea!

6. Pangaea

Pangaea resto en peaco

A third TCC was attempted, but it just fizzled out and died. Nobody was active enough and the thread wasn't updated regularly. Like Fate said, more mafia players are required in order to re-attempt it.

Fate Testarossa and Joeypals!! like this.
  7. MUMU

MUMU DNR KILLED IT

PO Trainer Name:
    Azumarill
    Either way, what we need is more players, it's not like mafia is inactive because of boring themes, it's just lack of players to play those themes to begin with, also attempting to add new people results in them needing active tutor(s), for instance user [tr ]hurricane and domo genesis said they would play gladly if they had someone to teach them, also, sometimes the reason of inactivity is just because no one starts assuming "there won't be enough" even when there is a realistic chance of it starting, so I can see safari promotion a good way to organize that.

Zoroark and Fate Testarossa like this.
  8. Zoroark

Zoroark Rakugaki Forum Moderator Server Moderator Forum Moderator Server Moderator

PO Trainer Name:
    SkyPhoenix / Zoroark
    Bring Mafia back to its glory days!!!!

9. Karp Karpity

Karp Karpity Active Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Karp Karpity
    I like this idea, and hope it pans out. If you need players, flash me and I will most likely join. I much prefer being killed out of necessity than trying to beat RNG catching a pokemon.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
    Joeypals!!, MUMU and Fate Testarossa like this.
  10. Edna

Edna Chasing the Dragon Forum Moderator Forum Moderator

PO Trainer Name:
    Edna
    Make Mafia alive and i'll be the first one to play it everyday. Totally supporting anything tbh

Joeypals!! and MUMU like this.
  11. Zoroark

PO Trainer Name:
    SkyPhoenix / Zoroark
    Bring Mafia back to it's glory Days!
    God I miss when I used to play Body theme...it's my favorite.

12. Joeypals!!

Joeypals!! Don't you worry 'bout a thing~

PO Trainer Name:
    Joeypals
    Revive Mafia and I'll make a new Flock theme. That is my promise.

13. Fate Testarossa

PO Trainer Name:
    Fate Testarossa
    Define revive.

14. Joeypals!!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joeypals
    Get some string of reliable activity lol.

15. MUMU

MUMU DNR KILLED IT

PO Trainer Name:
    Azumarill
    does 17p ff 18p kirby and 19p ev count ?
    also hype !

(btw is this going to be official ? counting rewards in large games is so hard :c)

16. Fate Testarossa

PO Trainer Name:
    Fate Testarossa
    I know yesterday apparently had more games, but yeah. People do still play mafia.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
    Whereabouts Unknown likes this.
  17. Joeypals!!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joeypals
    OK, I'm making this official. I WILL make a new version of old Mafia favorite Flock, but I need help from you guys. I'm currently between school, work, and YouTube videos, meaning my available time is pretty damn low. As such I need someone to do all the coding for me. I can do descriptions easily.

18. MUMU

MUMU DNR KILLED IT

PO Trainer Name:
    Azumarill
    I noticed pangaea is active again and so is calm so that will be more player, atm the channel has a decent number of active players but coordination(eveyrone not-afk joining) is still an issue + when I pm around to join I usually end up running out of time during signups ( @DracoNova can confirm this ) so something official that can increase the coordination could help activity, well I guess large official safari prizes (presumeably better than pawnables) will be good enough coordination by itself, not sure about the old game night idea anymore though, since that just feels like restricting activity, it's better if it's active everyday as much as possible instead of time-frame based obv.

19. Fate Testarossa

PO Trainer Name:
    Fate Testarossa
    Joeypals!! likes this.
  20. Joeypals!!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joeypals
    Grab one more person who's willing to help code and we'll get started when I'm not typing video scripts, papers, at work, or streaming.

21. MUMU

MUMU DNR KILLED IT

PO Trainer Name:
    Azumarill
    so @IceKirby
    Any thoughts on making cross promotion official like tour ?

22. Karp Karpity

Karp Karpity Active Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Karp Karpity
    @Joeypals!! I'll be able to help with Flock. Since apparently you still need 1 more person.

Joeypals!! and Fate Testarossa like this.
  23. Joeypals!!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joeypals
    Good for me. @Fate Testarossa and @Karp Karpity, welcome to my re-invigoration/hype squad

EvilDingoRobot and Karp Karpity like this.
  24. EvilDingoRobot

EvilDingoRobot HELLOOOOOOOO

PO Trainer Name:
    Duck Hunt
    I'm for all games giving points but events should have increased rewards/points on the leaderboard.
    As someone who plays mafia depending on the theme, most of the time the event theme will end up something I do not enjoy such as Default.
    One problem with this though, a small group of players could devise the master plan to spam small games to increase their points while others are away.
    Mafia games should definitely give increased points on the leaderboard based on the number of players in the game, it may be obvious but larger games will result in more roles which increase the difficulty of the game as well as the chances of a side to win when there are more sides.

If it's possible, I would love to have this happen.
    I'm a person who has many alts and I wouldn't even mind a /changealt system like in safari.

I know I'm not the only one who wants a bot that pms for mafia alerts.

Overall this is a brilliant plan, it will bring mafia back to life and Joey can bring back KACAW and time won't be wasted for created themes.

25. IceKirby

IceKirby A.K.A. RiceKirby

PO Trainer Name:
    RiceKirby
    Was anything even decided already? I've said on PO a few times that I'm OK with cross promotions, but we need to know how it will work exactly.

26. Pangaea

Pangaea resto en peaco

Can anyone confirm why Flock was taken off the server and put up for adoption in the first place? Is it just because Solace quit? I remember Flock being a fairly balanced theme.

27. Joeypals!!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joeypals
    Pretty much. Solace wanted his themes taken off. No one said no one couldn't remake them though~

28. EvilDingoRobot

EvilDingoRobot HELLOOOOOOOO

PO Trainer Name:
    Duck Hunt
    I guess if Solace left Pokemon Online, he would never know if it was added back.
    Even if he did come back, themes wouldn't be exactly same so no copyright infringement :)

29. Joeypals!!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joeypals
    If the current activity continues or increases, Karp, Fate, and I will happily make and publish a theme based on Fire Emblem: Fates. Don't let us down~ xox

30. MUMU

MUMU DNR KILLED IT

PO Trainer Name:
    Azumarill
    would be nice if this was more active srsly
    why did it even die all of sudden ?

31. Solace

Solace Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

PO Trainer Name:
    Solace
    I've noticed. -_-

32. EvilDingoRobot