1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

Potential Suspect - Drifloon

Discussion in 'Gen 6 LC' started by Samphire, May 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Samphire

Samphire Too much hard work!

I would like to propose a potential suspect on Drifloon.

Although Berry Juice itself is still rather controversial, Drifloon emerges as one of the more centralising mons in the tier able to use it, and one which I believe is pretty much broken.

It has access to Recycle, allowing it to reuse its Berry Juice. It's usual running of 17 speed means although it is not the fastest thing in the tier, it can still outspeed quite a lot of mons as it is. Then you add Unburden. This makes Drifloon into an almost unstoppable force, with its access to Acrobatics, meaning it can deal hefty damage to most mons in the tier. Add in the fact it benefits from being able to run Knock Off too, and it becomes dangerous as it removes any kind of defensive bulk Eviolite offers. Drifloon also has access to Defog and access to Will o Wisp to support itself, but with its 17 speed also provides itself with a good chance to be able to use Substiute to minimise potential damage and use its Berry Juice in order to start its offensive.

That being said, there are some counters or Pokemon that can defeat it, although even they in certain conditions do not stand a chance.
    1. Pawniard can use Sucker Punch to OHKO Drifloon and benefits from +2 Attack if it comes in on Defog (if that Drifloon carries it), however it faces the problem that Substitute can easily be used to counteract, and the use of Will o Wisp can cripple its Attack.
    2. Magnemite benefits from being able to also abuse Berry Juice, Recycle and its type resistance, and is probably one of the more solid counters to Drifloon.
    3. A more 'out-there' mon that can tackle Drifloon is Snubbull through the use of Intimidate to lower its Attack stat and then the use of Thunder Wave and Crunch to deal damage and cripple its speed. However it mainly suffers from the same problems that Pawniard has (W o W and Sub), and does not have the resistance from its typing.
    4. Mienfoo can OHKO with Knock Off, however if it is not running a Scarf, Drifloon can use the Substitute tactic, and can OHKO with Acrobatics and if its Berry Juice is intact it can 2HKO (with the small chance to OHKO if SR is up -- 196 Atk Drifloon Acrobatics (55 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mienfoo: 14-20 (66.6 - 95.2%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock). Mienfoo again is susceptible to a burn if the Drifloon carries WoW.
    5. Ponyta has a 68.8% chance to OHKO with Flare Blitz, and is 2HKOed by no item Acrobatics with SR up, making it one of the more promising options out there.
    6. Chinchou also OHKOs with Volt Switch and is 3HKOed by Acrobatics, so again a solid option.

Let's look now at the most commonly used mons in LC (aside from those already covered) and how Drifloon fares:
    • Snivy, Surskit, Foongus - don't stand a chance. Surskit has an outside chance of a speed tie if unburden is not activated to get off an Ice Beam, but other than that....
    • Larvesta again does not have much of a chance. It might have access to recovery, but the one thing it has going for it is a potential burn with Flame Body.
    • Gastly can outspeed if Unburden is not active, and if it is using a Sash may stand a chance. However if it isn't, bye bye Gastly. Abra is in the same ballpark in terms of speed and Sash usage, however it is much worse due to its typing at combating Drifloon.
    • Fletchling at +2 can OKHO Drifloon, and Drifloon can 2HKO with a 6.3% chance to OHKO with SR up.
    • If Drifloon can Knock Off its Eviolite it gets a clean 2HKO on Spritzee with Acrobatics sans item, leaving Spritzee only able to stall out with Wish + Protect. If not Drifloon gets a 3HKO after SR, and Spritzee is able to 2HKO with an unboosted Moonblast.
    • Archen cannot outspeed Unburden Drifloon even with a scarf, and an Acrobatics will put it into Defeatist range.
    • Shellder is 3HKOed by Drifloon, and can OHKO with Rock Blast or Icicle Spear unboosted.
    • Drilbur gets 50% chance to OHKO with Rock Slide, however Berry Juice will be a problem. Drifloon with no item can 2HKO it.
    • Tirtouga is a solid counter being able to OHKO, abuse Berry Juice and Sturdy, while Drifloon can only OHKO. A burn can give Tirtouga only a 6.3% chance to OHKO though, meaning Drifloon has a chance to play around with Berry Juice, Recycle and Sub if the Tirtouga is not a Shell Smash variant.
    • Defensive Porygon has a 50% chance to OHKO, while Drifloon without its item can only 3HKO.
    • Diglett can abuse Sucker Punch, although is not fast enough to hit first with Rock Slide. It also is not able to abuse Arena Trap to keep Drifloon in. It can OHKO with Rock Slide, but its best option to do this is to use a Sash and to hope there are no hazards on the field for it to come into and lose it, as Drifloon will OHKO otherwise.
    • Timburr benefits from not being able to get a burn with Guts. Even then, Knock Off can only 2HKO without status or stat boosts, while Drifloon has a much more solid 2HKO on it in return.
    • Munchlax if it does not use Rest suffers from a burn if the Drifloon has WoW. It also cannot hit with its STAB and has to rely on other coverage attacks to do damage. Both Drifloon and Munchlax can abuse Recycle ad Berry Juice, meaning the match up can turn into a stalemate unless the Munchlax is trying to boost through Curse.
    • Bunnelby can OHKO with Stone Edge, while Drifloon 2HKOs with non-item Acrobatics. However it cannot risk a switch-in even when scarfed.
    • Bulky Staryu can just about stave off Drifloon's damage, but may struggle to take it down. LO Staryu can OHKO with Ice Beam though it can be 2HKOed by Drifloon.
    • Nasty Plot Vullaby is 3HKOed, meaning it can benefit from the speed boosts if it uses Weak Armor and even then unboosted a Dark Pulse will kill. Its physically offensive variants both have a small chance to OHKO while being 3HKOed in return.
    • Honedge can use Shadow Sneak to its advantage to 2HKO, but can be 2HKOed by Shadow Ball. However, if it suffers a burn its chances are limited.
    However there is one factor I have not counted into the matchups. Drifloon also has access to Destiny Bond, meaning given its advantage in speed it can take down most mons in this way, especially if it is weakened or at the risk of a 2HKO from the opposing Pokémon and it cannot take it down through its other attacks. This again makes Drifloon especially damaging, especially in being able to take out fresh mons ready to switch in and finish it.

If Berry Juice does not warrant a re-suspect, we need to look at the primary abusers of it and their place in the tier. Drifloon is one of these mons which has such a damaging influence.

Jethalal likes this.
  2. Funbot28

Funbot28 Active Member

I find the core of Drifloon + Diglett is what makes it so scary, as Diglett can just beat all of Floon's counters by trapping them. I would much rather suspect Diglett than Drifloon, as it does have counters that reliably beat it if they are not trapped by Diglett.

So ya suspect Diglett instead

3. Samphire

I do agree that Diglett is also an issue and one brought up quite commonly as well. To be honest I think they are both as bad as each other in certain aspects. Again it's good to get a discussion going in general on LC really and although I set this up for Drifloon I think Diglett needs to be a discussion too, whether in relation to Drifloon as a partner in crime if you will, or as a standalone thread stating its impact on the tier too.

Funbot28 likes this.
  4. Funbot28

Funbot28 Active Member

This is why I believe Diglett should possibly be suspected first before Drifloon, then if Floon is broken even without Diglett, we do another suspect accordingly.

5. Samphire

Well, make your opinions heard, let's see what others say, and let's see what the TL does. At the moment this is only a 'potential' as it's up to them, but I just really wanted to actually get a discussion going in regards to LC again, as it has become a bit stagnant and there are quite a few issues in the tier. And again, spread the word, the more people talking the better imo!

6. fitzy

fitzy Heart of the cards Forum Moderator Forum Moderator

Suspecting both. I personally believe they are both stupid and easily deserve to go but I wanted to wait for either people to speak out against them or POWC to end so people would be playing in a familiar metagame.

Thanks and feel free to copy/paste what you have already written into the suspect threads.

Funbot28 and Jethalal like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.