1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

Forum Enhancements

Discussion in 'News' started by Fuzzysqurl, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Fuzzysqurl

Fuzzysqurl baa baa mareep I do what I want Server Owner Developer I do what I want Server Owner Developer

Greetings denizens of Pokemon Online, this is your overlord tyrant Fuzzysqurl speaking.

Recently I became able to update and tweak things on the forums. You've probably noticed some of the tweaks already implemented but this is a run down of some of the changes you might also not be aware of:

Play Now Button on the Main Page
    With the webclient progressing into a much more refined option, there is now a Play Now button on the main page. No download is required anymore but certain features may be restricted to the client only or have different implementations. Certain features may also be exclusive to the webclient. Try them both out and pick your favorite... Or use both!
    [​IMG]

Native Quote Nesting
    Previously if you quoted a post with a quote in it, the quote wouldn't actually appear in the message as quote nesting was disabled. I enabled nested quotes up to 3 levels deep now. This means if you quote someone who quoted someone else, your post would include both people's messages. Someone can then quote you and now you have a better chain of messages to keep arguments discussion going.
    [​IMG]

Facebook and Twitter Widgets
    I've added the Facebook and Twitter widgets on the main page of the forum. If you haven't liked or followed yet, its a great way to stay on top of changes in PO.
    [​IMG]

Preview for Quick Reply
    Pretty self explanatory here, there wasn't a preview button for quick reply. Now there is.

Profile Covers/Banners
    Profile pages looked boring. I added the feature to allow specific users to add a "cover" or "banner" similar to Facebook's Cover Photo. Currently it is restricted to only the coolest of cool people (myself being one of them), but this option will make its way to the general public. The specifics haven't been worked out, but it will likely end up being a reward for those who win a forum challenge or official tour, as a little bonus. I also accept bribes via Paypal.
    [​IMG]

Bookmarks
    Ever find a post on the forum you want to reference frequently, whether it be instructions for something, a cool team from the Rate My Team forum, or anything between, you can now bookmark the post to revisit it at a later time.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jump to Page
    In any place there are pages of things (threads, posts, PMs, etc.) there is now an option to type in a page and immediately jump to it. I'm not entirely sure how useful it will actually be to the average user, but it was a quick addition
    [​IMG]

Highlighted Threads to show participation
    Threads are now highlighted in the forum view if you have made a post in it. The color is subject to change, but the picture will give you a good idea of what it looks like.
    [​IMG]

A new and improved WYSIWYG Editor
    This is one of the things I had to do when tweaking stuff. It is a much more powerful editor that allows much quicker formatting. Buttons were added for existing features such as Strikethrough and Spoiler. Buttons were also added for new features, such as Symbols, Horizontal Lines, Superscript, Subscript, and the big one: Tables! While tables did exist in some form before this, they caused many problems because they were so complex. If you missed one little thing, the whole table would break.

It might not work on all browsers, but formatting should be kept when copying from the simulator. This would include things like colorful usernames and certain tables.
    [​IMG]
    *With special guest: Quick Reply Preview Button from earlier

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Added June 6th:

Staff Banner Redesign
    Out with the boring, in with the "Ooo pretty colors!" Staff Banners have been expanded to now include a color and Pokemon Icon. Staff Banners will now display the highest level Forum Auth and Server Auth a user has. Certain users are also eligible for Social Media, Developer, or Channel Leader banners, which are new additions to the list. There's a chance more banners may be added at a later date, including ones for notable members who are not staff.
    [​IMG]

Fast Quoting
    Ever encounter a wall of text post but only want to reply to a particular section? Fast quoting is for you. You can highlight any part of a post and a small little button will show up when you release your mouse button. Upon clicking this button a quote will be inserted into the Quick Reply box. You can proceed to do this multiple times over multiple posts before writing your response.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
    Memo', Blitzamirin, E.T. and 16 others like this.
  2. Joyverse

Joyverse Back for a blast! Tournament Host Tournament Host

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    STOP AUTH HAVING UNFAIR ADVANTAGE!
    Just a suggestion. I think everyone should have the ability to have a profile banner, by everyone, I mean everyone. It should be just like FB/Twitter as it'll let us personalize our profiles.

coyotte508 likes this.
  3. Mr. Perry

Mr. Perry wat Tournament Host Tournament Host

PO Trainer Name:
    Mr. Perry
    Just become an auth, then you get it. I don't know why people need to make a fuss of things ;^;

But seriously know if it's possible allow badged guys to edit :)

4. ZoroarkShade

ZoroarkShade Living in the New World.

PO Trainer Name:
    Devsaider
    Nice update .

5. Fuzzysqurl

Fuzzysqurl baa baa mareep I do what I want Server Owner Developer I do what I want Server Owner Developer

Updated the original post to document changes on:
    • Staff Banner facelift
    • Fast Quoting

6. Email

Email reformed xd

PO Trainer Name:
    Email
    we should be able to customize our own banners if possible.

7. Fuzzysqurl

The Jump to Page and Profile Covers have been removed (temporarily? permanently? idk) due to some issues. I'll attempt to code an alternative myself but I'm not going to make any promises.

IceKirby, Xdevo and NAVIDAD PIRATE like this.
  8. Fuzzysqurl

Hi. I added stuff:

Inline spoilers
    You can use the following code to insert an inline spoiler. Its better for short blurbs as it doesn't disrupt the formatting + - and it looks cool  
    Code (text):
    1. [ispoiler]Your text here[/ispoiler]
    Automatic post merging
    If you make a post and then post again within the next 12 hours before anyone else replies, your posts will be automatically merged. It will bump the thread and tell users there is new stuff. The proper way to do it is still the Edit button, but sometimes you need to tag a user in a post (and the Edit post won't send the notification). Enjoy less clutter.

Emoticons
    I added :hamsterface: some emoticons :pineapple: for you guys to :spoutingwhale: use.
    + - am snek :snake: hiss  

And the forum update added some new stuff such as:
    • A better Fast Quoting system
    • The ability to create Tags for threads
    • Two Factor Authentication to secure your account better (you can set it up http://pokemon-online.eu/account/two-step Please be very careful when setting up and follow all the directions. Make sure you copy the backup codes as well else you could be temporarily locked out of your account if something goes wrong!)
    • and much more!!

Zoroark, Joyverse and E.T. like this.
  9. Annoying Orange

Annoying Orange sweet creature Server Moderator Social Media Rep Server Moderator Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    ty fuzzygod love the improvements

10. Zoroark

Zoroark Rakugaki Forum Moderator Server Moderator Forum Moderator Server Moderator

PO Trainer Name:
    SkyPhoenix / Zoroark