1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

June/July NU ORAS NU Potential Suspects Discussion

Discussion in 'Gen 6 NU' started by Xdevo, Jun 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xdevo

Xdevo Phrasing Super Moderator Tour Director Super Moderator Tour Director

NU>UU
    Tangrowth
    Houndoom

NU>LU
    Clawitzer
    Bronzong
    Eelektross
    Gurdurr
    Sawk
    Xatu

LU>NU
    Archeops
    Dragalge
    Electivire
    Fletchinder
    Glalie
    Golbat
    Hoopa
    Jolteon
    Magneton
    Mandibuzz
    Rhyperior
    Samurott
    So we finally get a new tier and a huge list of threats drop. We also lost Sawk and Gurdurr so have fun with that.

2. Funbot28

Funbot28 Active Member

Wait is Mega Glalie legal?

3. E.T.

E.T. SSSSSSSSSSSSS! Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    Yes.

4. Funbot28

Funbot28 Active Member

Ok so after a day of playing basically the new NU lol, here are my super initial opinions on the meta:

The Rises:

[​IMG]: Losing Tangrowth means we lost an amazing powerful yet bulky pivot mon that practically checked most Water types and physical attackers in general. It had amazing coverage in conjunction with its sustainability thanks to Regenerator which allowed it to be super splashable on most balance and offensive teams. Definitely a mon that will be missed due to such the large impact it had on the tier.

[​IMG]: Houndoom was another extremely powerful special attacker that was able to shut down most special walls thanks to Nasty Plot and its capable mixed set options. Fire/Dark was also an extremely good offensive typing that allowed it to check most Psychic types like Mesprit, Xatu, and Musharna thanks to Pursuit and Sucker Punch. Although I did see a suspect for this thing happen eventually in the future if it wouldn't have rised, it still is an offensive wallbreaker thar will be missed.

[​IMG]: Clawitzer is an amazing bulky attacker similar to Tangrowth in which I never had the chance to properly use (now I regret it...), but judging from facing it, it was very powerful. Its STAB and coverage moves being boosted by Mega Launcher made it that it can practically 2HKO most walls in the tier due to how it could have hit everything for at least neutral damage. Although it was quite slow for an offensive mon, which let it be easily revenge killed by faster offensive mons some times.

[​IMG]: One of the best mixed walls in the tier that acted as an amazing glue to balance teams, Brozong's departure definitely effected the tier. Even though Registeel still roams in NU, Brozong's added Psychic typing allowed it to check Fighting-types more easily. Really sucks to see this leave tbh.

[​IMG]: Eelektross is another mon that I used very minimally, however it was cool on breaking defensive teams with its adequate offensive stats and its amazing coverage. It was also useful since it practically had no weaknesses with Levitate and also was able to run some decent mixed sets with an Assault Vest.

[​IMG]: Gurdurr was a very good bulky attacker thanks to Eviolite and Bulk Up and it was able to check most of the tier because of this. Guts also let it sponge status very good and Knock Off spam was really good off it especially when it gained a couple of boosts. It also had quite good sustainability with Drain Punch. Definitely a mon worth noting after its absence.

[​IMG]: YESSSSSS!!!! I am so happy that Sawk finally is leaving the tier (it would have probably left from a suspect test either way but whatevs), but holy shit this thing was the best wallbreaker in the tier (probably even best mon). Nothing was able to not be 2HKOed (besides Ghost-types, but Knock Off...) from a Choice Banded Close Combat from this thing. Mold Breaker and Sturdy also let it beat certain walls that would otherwise check it. This shift definitely warps the tier for the better imo.

[​IMG]: Now this rise I am quite sad about tbh. Xatu was very good hazard control on teams that couldn't afford a Defog or Rapid Spin user. It also checked Fighting types quite well with a Colbur Berry and its Calm Mind set was also very good at breaking down walls thanks to Magic Bounce deflecting status. It was another amazing pivot that we lost, and now hazards may be a bit more spammable because of its departure.

The Drops:
    Ok so I will only be commenting on the mons I have tested out so far:

[​IMG]: Archeops was long overdue to drop to NU and I am glad it did. It will be another great fast offensive mon that could also provide utility with Stealth Rock and Defog. I have been using the lead Head Smash set the most and its very good at doing its job. Some people are saying that its offensive capabilities may be too much thanks to its stats, but its ability Defeatist helps balance this out tbh and I find it will be a healthy addition to the tier.
    Viability Prediction: A or A+

[​IMG]: Ok so initially I was very scared of this drop due to Dragalge's frightening power thanks to Adaptability, and I stand correct after testing it out. Choice Specs Draco Meteor removes the term "switchin" for this mon lol, but thankfully Steel-types like Registeel are able to switch in on both of its STABs quite adequately. It has ok coverage in Thunderbolt and Focus Blast, but its extremely slow speed makes me believe this mon is a pseudo Mega Camperupt in reality, so only time will tell if this mon is healthy for the tier, but it is pretty gray at this point in time.
    Viability Prediction: A+ or S

[​IMG]: Another drop I am really happy about, Fletchinder will be a nice check to offensive mons such as Scyther, Vivillion, Shiftry, and Hariyama. It could easily run Swords Dance sets that will enable it to break defensive teams and Will-o-Wisp is cool for physical attacking walls who like to switchin to it such as Rhypherior, Klingklang, and Kabutops. Stealth Rock weakness does hurt it, but NU has quite the pool of option when it comes to hazard removal so it would this issue is marginalized a bit.
    Viability Prediction: A

[​IMG]: So like Dragalge, Mega Glalie was another threat that worried me when I heard it would drop. I remember when it last came to the tier, acting as one of the best wallbreakers thanks to Refridgerate Double-Edge destoying stuff. However, thankfully checks do exist in Registeel and Vaporeon (although Earthquake and Freeze-Dry somewhat deals with the two aforementioned mons respectively). I still have to gather my thoughts on its impact on the tier, but its definitely something to pin a red flag on atm.
    Viability Prediction: S

[​IMG]: I personally hate this thing in NU due to the amazing offensive support it brings when trapping Steel-types and also on how powerful it is with a Choice Specs equipped. I have been using a core with Mega Glalie and Magneton and it just tears through everything as the two mons deal with eachother checks extremely well. Bulky Analytic sets with Eviolite are also very good at pivoting around swithins as well as punishing them and can check quite a bit of the most powerful mons in the tier. Maybe things change this time around, but I still feel Magneton is a bit too much for NU atm.
    Viability Prediction: A+ or S

[​IMG]: Yet another scary looking mon to worry about thanks to its unheard of 150 Sp.Atk for NU standards. Ghost/Psychic is also pretty good offensively and Nasty Plot sets have been working quite well although I do have to mention that Spiritomb is a great check to it thanks to Pursuit trapping. Still need to play around with it more but Hoopa is definitely a cool mon worth using, although its a bit slow for an offensive wallbreaker.
    Viability Prediction: Undecided but leaning towards A- or A

[​IMG]: Jolteon is a cool special attacker as its incredible speed (I think its the highest speed in the tier tbh) allows it to perform greatly against offense. Electric typing is also pretty good offensively, although I do feel that it may be slightly outclassed by Magneton due to it having better bulk with Eviolite and greater power and utility with Magnet Pull. Still a cool mon to try out, but its coverage is lacking.
    Viability Prediction: B+ or A-

[​IMG]: Probably the best wall in the tier now, Mandibuzz just does not die. It also has cool Defog support options and can whittle down the opponent with Taunt, Toxic and Roost. Its great mon to use against physical setup sweepers thanks to Foul Play and a nice Vivillion check (which is always cool) thanks to Overcoat. Definitely a great addition to the meta.
    Viability Prediction: A

[​IMG]: I was surprised to see this thing drop tbh. Its basically an upgraded version of Rhydon although it may have less bulk with no Eviolite, Solid Rock is very cool to sustain itself with. It can sweep, setup hazards, and practically check most physical attackers in the meta. Its just really good, although Waters and Grass types due weaken it slightly.
    Viability Prediction: A or A+

So I encourage others to try out the new NU, its very fun and exciting. I predict that bulky offense will spike in usage, while full offense will go down just a bit due to it losing its best wallbreaker in Sawk.

Joeypals!! and E.T. like this.
  5. Draciel

Draciel ALLEZ! ALLEZ! ALLEZ!

PO Trainer Name:
    Neo
    So after testing the new drops for a while here are my thoughts:

Rhyperior: This is a monster and arguably the most broken drop in this shift. 140 base attack stat+superb defenses further complimented by solid rock and perfect coverage with EQ/Stone edge make it an offensive powerhouse. Literally nothing can stop the Double dance Rhyperior set if it manages to set up. Expect a suspect very soon.

Hoopa: Another offensive threat which acts as a spinblocker: so a perfect mon for offensive teams. 160 SpA + access to Nasty plot and near perfect coverage with Shadow ball/Focus blast/Psyshock: I don't need to say anything else to make you realize how strong this is. Mandibuzz is a good check, however it must be wary of switching into Hoopa with SR on field. Everything else gets blown away at +2. Although a 4x dark weakness is a nuisance to Hoopa (Spiritomb!!) but it's pros severly outweigh it's cons.

Dragalge: Adaptibility boosted STABs + Focus Blast means it has no switchins in the whole tier. Should be suspected very soon.

Fletchinder: The best revenge killer NU ever had is back for another stint in NU, but I doubt how long this will stay. +2 Acrobatics absolutely decimates offensive teams , WoW cripples would-be switchins like Rhyperior/Rhydon/Registeel/Mandibuzz. Overall a very threatening mon in NU and can easily sweep once it's checks are sufficiently weakened by it's teammates.

Mega Glalie: Mega Glalie is very strong. Refrigerate boosted Return/Double edge hits like a truck and with only a handful of switchins in the whole tier (Cofagrigus/Registeel/Def Vaporeon). With Bronzong leaving Glalie has become harder to check; expect a suspect in the near future.

Jolteon/Magneton: Both are very solid offensive electrics; whereas Jolteon is faster Magneton hits harder and can utilize Magnet Pull to trap and kill STeel types. This trait is particularly handy when it's partnered with Mega Glalie. Don't think they are as troublesome as it's counterparts but can hold their own in NU.

Archeops: Excellent mon which belongs in NU. Glad it dropped.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  6. E.T.

E.T. SSSSSSSSSSSSS! Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    From what I've played around with so far:

Mandibuzz is extremely bulky and almost never dies. Not sure yet if it could be considered broken though.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Dragalge Draco Meteor vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Mandibuzz: 398-470 (94.5 - 111.6%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
    I know that's defensive Mandibuzz, but still. Dragalge probably hits too hard for NU and is difficult to defend against unless you want to run Registeel.

Mega Glalie hits very hard as well, and I think it could be suspect worthy at some point, but I think there are more pressing issues atm.

Hoopa is too powerful for NU. I've been playing with an AV set with Psyshock, Shadow Ball, Focus Blast, and Thunderbolt (for Mandi), but it has a lot of options such as Nasty Plot that was mentioned. It can be Pursuit trapped by things like Skuntank or Spiritomb though.

Rhyperior really just seems like a better Rhydon from what I've played with it, but I haven't used or seen the double dance set yet. I also only have experience with it from a few battles. I wouldn't be opposed to a suspect though.

Magneton has been NU in the past, and it pretty much feels the same way as it did then, so I think it is fine atm.

LittleRoot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.