1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

Question of The Day! (QoTD, Thread 2) (6/7/16-1/6/17)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Joeypals!!, Jun 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Velvet Blood

Velvet Blood Well-Known Member

Rip L

Yeah it's the best of both worlds

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
    Joeypals!! likes this.
  2. Joeypals!!

Joeypals!! Don't you worry 'bout a thing~

PO Trainer Name:
    Joeypals
    Question for September 4th, 2016: What is your opinion on Facebook?

3. willdbeast

willdbeast All round nice guy

PO Trainer Name:
    willdbeast
    Idk I dont have Facebook because I don't talk to people when I'm sitting next to them so I don't see why I should when I have a good excuse for avoiding them, but thats more of a reflection of me than Facebook. I also find it kinda scary how much it knows about it's users and I'm telling ya this is the beginning of the end - any of you who've seen/ read i robot or the countless others on the same theme will know what I mean. Its us or the AIs, someone's gotta go...

Joeypals!! likes this.
  4. pokemonnerd

pokemonnerd Only uso listens to pnerd. Devo too. Article Contributor Article Contributor

It's a wonderful site for letting my family members know that I'm not dead once a month. Or more if they message me, because otherwise I don't touch it.

Joeypals!! likes this.
  5. Velvet Blood

I like it and get to be in touch with friends on messanger and get to share with them on how my day is

Joeypals!! likes this.
  6. Professor Oak

Professor Oak same Forum Administrator Server Owner Social Media Rep Forum Administrator Server Owner Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Professor Oak
    Useful for spying on people.

Both users and the company spy.

7. Zoroark

Zoroark Aka Flare Forum Moderator Server Moderator Forum Moderator Server Moderator

PO Trainer Name:
    SkyPhoenix / Zoroark
    Useful for communication, their biggest screw up is the fact that they spy conversations and plague us with advertisement.

Besides their report system is garbage, they only focus on deleting nipple pics (which they don't to pretty well either) and rarely care to take down fake accounts or pictures that show violence, harmful language or anything that violates their community standards, worst of all, when you try to communicate with their mods, they reply to you with annoying templates, and most of the reports are reviewed by bots before they reach the hands of the mods.

I rarely use it anyways, I'm not much of a Social Media fan. Whenever I want to get in touch with my relatives I just visit them or give them a phone call, closer contact.

Joeypals!! likes this.
  8. Dominique-XLR

Dominique-XLR I'm a simple man. I see boobs, I like.

I find it useful. I personally do not socialize very much in Facebook, the whole love-dovey-show offey thing irks me, but I enjoy taking part in sports group, setting up discussions during live matches, read analysis about wide range of stuff.

The thing about of facebook for me is, it's extremely versatile. It lacks the fine tuned nature of specialized websites, but it's like an encyclopedia of sorts, Whatever other sites can do Facebook can do it too to some extent. What this does is, it creates interest, You'd find yourself doing things that you didn't intend to. For example I've never intended to write elaborate articles, which is why I don't have a blog. However, out of sheer passion I've written about sports a fair bit. Now all of a sudden I know the right people, have enough recognition to take up sports journalism as a career to fall back on. All in all I think it fits today's multitask oriented thought process, which can be good or bad depending how you utilize it.

9. Joeypals!!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joeypals
    Question for September 5th, 2016: What is your opinion on the Step Up movies?

10. Edna

Edna Chasing the Dragon Forum Moderator Forum Moderator

PO Trainer Name:
    Edna
    Very average movies, I think they could have done something better but now it's starting to get bad imo

Joeypals!! likes this.
  11. Professor Oak

Professor Oak same Forum Administrator Server Owner Social Media Rep Forum Administrator Server Owner Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Professor Oak
    Those are those movies about the street dancing or whatever, right?

They're crap.

Sasuke Uchiha likes this.
  12. willdbeast

PO Trainer Name:
    willdbeast
    There's more than one ?-?

13. Blitzamirin

Blitzamirin Waluigi! Number one!

PO Trainer Name:
    Blitz
    I've quit twice, haven't used it since senior year. I think it's honestly pointless when I want to stay connected with people near me anyways.
    They suck.

Joeypals!! likes this.
  14. Velvet Blood

I never liked it

15. Lacus Clyne

Lacus Clyne This might get unpleasant!

PO Trainer Name:
    Lacus Clyne
    I enjoyed them.

16. Joyverse

Joyverse Back for a blast!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    It's OK at best I guess. Combines your meme sites, game sites, news sites and then helps connect with the few people I care about who don't live nearby. Also it helps update the PO FB page so yeah x.x

17. Joeypals!!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joeypals
    Question for September 6th, 2016: How would you go about fixing the DC Extended Universe?

18. Professor Oak

PO Trainer Name:
    Professor Oak
    If they're aiming to continue with this plan, they need to stop. That's how they can fix it. Stop.

Marvel's Extended Universe started by having multiple individual movies, which served to introduce each character, give them a bit of flesh and show them all off as individual characters. From there, they built that into Avengers Assemble, which was widely praised by all. Since then, they've continued to expand, having the heroes feature in the others' stories to keep that sort of team feeling together, using the movies to introduce new characters too (Ant-Man, Guardians of the Galaxy) and are building up towards Infinity War. There hasn't really been a movie in their franchises that has been deemed a true flop, and the way they've done it can be credited slightly for this.

DC has the characters to do something very similar. However, if they want to try and emulate the Marvel films, they need to actually do it properly, and not just go "ooh, bunch of people all together, let's throw them together, give them 5-minutes of intro and hope it works!" The reason the Marvel films worked is because the individual characters have been introduced and built up with their unique personalities throughout the MCU. Batman vs Superman tried to introduce a new Batman and a new Wonder Woman whilst having Superman try and be as emo as Dark Knight Batman, and the introduction of all these new things at once didn't work well together, resulting in it being widely panned. Suicide Squad tried to introduce about 10 different characters, leaving it to be a complete mess which resulted in it being widely panned.

If the movies that are scheduled to come out - Wonder Woman being the first, I think - work out and help to rebuild the image the DC Extended Universe movie has, then it could still be salvaged. However, with such a relatively poor start to it, I think they need to stop and rethink entirely how they want to do this kind of thing, if they want to continue to do something similar to Marvel.

19. pokemonnerd

pokemonnerd Only uso listens to pnerd. Devo too. Article Contributor Article Contributor

I honestly think they should have stuck to animation. All of their animated movies have been amazing even with little knowledge of the characters going into it. They have the correct sense of urgency a story needs, characterization ongoing from start to finish and all the heroes are actually likeable.

Justice League: War is what the DCEU needs to emulate when they come out with the Justice League movie. It perfectly introduced each of the members without it seeming too rushed, especially for having to establish them in about an hour before the action started ramping up.

Joeypals!! likes this.
  20. Edna

PO Trainer Name:
    Edna
    Make it as good as Marvel :]
    #Marvelfag

Joeypals!! likes this.
  21. Xdevo

Xdevo Phrasing Super Moderator Tour Director Super Moderator Tour Director

Let's not sit here and say that all of the marvel movies are amazing.

Iron Man 2 and 3 were pretty bad (I'd say that 3 was even trash tbh), neither of the Thor movies are really up to much, the first Captain America movie was pretty boring (Winter Soldier and Civil War were great and good tho). The Ang Lee Hulk movie (which is referenced in the newer Hulk movie that is part of the DCEU apparently) was complete tripe, while the newer Hulk movie was kinda meh as well. Go back farther and you have the 1990 Captain America which is literally some of the worst cinema ever.

The biggest issue that DC has is the inability to throw a bunch of movies out quickly. Marvel / Disney has the ability to throw out a ton of movies, so even if some are bad (IM2,3, Thor and Dark World), they get ignored because IM1 was good or they're already hyped for Avengers.

DC has the issue that they're still stuck in the Dark Knight mindset of a serious drama thriller, when comedy (or at least frequent comedic interludes) is the current vogue. Serious drama has its place, but few of the non-batman superheros have a central theme that fits the dark, gritty theme (or at least few of the popular ones) that Snider insists on placing into the movies. It's not even that the DC movies are that bad (Batman v Supes was still miles above Fantastic 4 2015, Spider-Man 3, and Iron Man 3), it's the lack of credit that DC has, bandwagoning, and the inability for major aggregate sites to give good 'mixed' reviews (everything on a scale of 10 lower than 8.5 is just garbage to a lot of people) aren't helping the lack of direction DC has.

DC also has the misfortune of not having one of the largest media companies in the world backing them with tie-in kids shows, advertising, and near infinite source of budgeting for actors and directors, so that hurts them as well.

None of this is to say that the DCEU (or rather any recent DC movie other than the Batman Trilogy) has been great or particularly good (Hello Green Lanturn), but DC is facing a lot of issues outside of their control that will make any strategy they adopt an uphill fight against a juggernaut like Disney.

Also, most of the DC animation is really good (though I wish there was more of it on netflix) and DC has been pretty excellent with its TV shows (I don't like Supergirl that much but I can't say it's awful or anything). So they're not completely failing in non-comic media.

Joeypals!! likes this.
  22. Joeypals!!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joeypals
    Question for September 7th, 2016: If you could create a new ability, what would that ability be called and what would it do?

Fate Testarossa likes this.
  23. Hassin627

Hassin627 feels dank man

PO Trainer Name:
    Hassin627/dank jesus
    An ability that doubles spatk permanently, like pure / huge power does
    Trace that shit with mega zam and watch shit getting obliterated
    Chansey is a switch in? Heck no
    +2 252 SpA Mega Alakazam Focus Blast vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 334-394 (52 - 61.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

gg

24. Fate Testarossa

Fate Testarossa Unbreakable Bond

PO Trainer Name:
    Fate Testarossa
    Not really that creative, but basically some abilities that complement others, such as what Hassin mentioned, as well as a special attack based Moxie, a special attack based Intimidate...you get the idea.

Joeypals!! likes this.
  25. Xdevo

Xdevo Phrasing Super Moderator Tour Director Super Moderator Tour Director

Quick Start: After 5 turns in play, this pokemon's Atk and Speed are halved.

fuck regigigas

26. Professor Oak

PO Trainer Name:
    Professor Oak
    Clone of Poison Heal but for burns.

fuk scald

27. Blitzamirin

Blitzamirin Waluigi! Number one!

PO Trainer Name:
    Blitz
    There's tons of clones for currently existing abilities I could think of, but something that hasn't been done in Pokemon has been turn regression. I'd probably dub it "Do-Over", and how it would work is that the Pokemon, on switch-in, would reverse time and go back a set amount of turns in the battle, undoing whatever was done before then.

For example, say I'm in Turn 10 and I'm about to get swept by RP Landorus-T. I send this mon out, and it goes back to Turn 5, before I know what set the Lando-T even is. Now I know it's RP Landorus-T, and I can plan ahead (for example, disregard SR) and pressure it from ever setting up RP in the first place.

Specifics would vary. It could be 5 turns, and a one time use per battle. It could be a varying amount of turns (the longer the match takes, the more turns it goes back), and it could have a set cooldown (e.g. can't use the ability again until 20 turns later). But either way, it would change how competitive play would work in a pretty big way and add an element we haven't seen before.

Pokemon that could have this should be primarily Psychic type. Dialga, Celebi, Jirachi, Solgaleo and Lunala are legendaries that fit the motif. Normal Pokemon that could have it could be Beheeyem, Xatu, Sigilyph and maybe Unown.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
    Joeypals!! and Fate Testarossa like this.
  28. willdbeast

PO Trainer Name:
    willdbeast
    An ability that raises accuracy when hit by a dark type move and negates all damage. Some kind of name like illuminate would be good but that's sadly taken so any light related name would be suitable (floodlight? Sounds a bit lame tho). Basically the user radiates bright light which dark types don't like. Users could include fairy types, some psychic or electrics and the litwick line would make sense

29. pokemonnerd

Group Hug: When this Pokemon enters the battlefield, all Pokemon on your team are healed by 25% of their health. The pokemon holding the ability cannot be healed by it, has a 7 turn "counter(think Rest turns)" before it may activate again. Does not work on the active pokemon(the one with the ability). Any HP Restoring move used on self only gives half the normal percentage restored, however it heals the entire team for a third of the HP restored this way. This happens regardless of how many turns it has been since the last time it has entered the battlefield.

Chansey and Blissey would be the primary holders, but it could be given to others. Probably needs some fine tuning but it would be interesting.

Joyverse, Blitzamirin and Joeypals!! like this.
  30. Edna

PO Trainer Name:
    Edna
    An ability to stop completely Defog from removing hazards. That would benefit HO a lot and will make it less Bisharp dependant. I can see birds getting it, not sure if maybe some steel

Joeypals!! likes this.
  31. Annoying Orange

Annoying Orange sweet creature Server Moderator Social Media Rep Server Moderator Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    Facebook is the best time killer & full of secret troll groups. However postblocks suck.

32. Dominique-XLR

Dominique-XLR I'm a simple man. I see boobs, I like.

I want mons who don't need to charge/recharge.

Ability: Hyperactive Mothafaka

This mofo doesn't need no charging. Solar Beam, Hyper Beam.... go Kamehameha over everyone. Setup with geomancy, burn with Ice (Ice Burn). Fly & dig, bash with skull, Wreck with Rock. Don't let those high bp moves go to waste.

33. Draciel

Draciel ALLEZ! ALLEZ! ALLEZ!

PO Trainer Name:
    Neo
    this. we need this.

34. Joeypals!!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joeypals
    Question for September 8th, 2016: What are your thoughts about Nintendo's mobile gaming moves? (Pokemon GO, Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing on the way, Mario runner just announced, Miitomo)

35. Velvet Blood

I mean I almost got crashed by a car because of pokemon go so that was fun

Joyverse, Edna, Zoroark and 2 others like this.
  36. Fate Testarossa

Fate Testarossa Unbreakable Bond

PO Trainer Name:
    Fate Testarossa
    There's a Fire Emblem mobile game? I wonder if it even compares to the console games.

Also why are people absolute dumbasses when it comes to Pokemon GO? The shit they manage to do is beyond insane.

Never played or even heard of any of them besides Pokemon Go. I mean the idea is nice, but again, people are too damn plugged in and braindead when playing this stuff at times.

LittleRoot and Joeypals!! like this.
  37. pokemonnerd

IGN said on their snapchat "channel" that mario runner won't be free so I probably won't be getting it.

If it's actually an RPG Fire Emblem and not a Brave Frontier clone or something I'll definitely be taking a look into it, but have no interest in any of the others.

Joeypals!! likes this.
  38. Ascarotte

Ascarotte Well-Known Member Forum Moderator Channel Leader Forum Moderator Channel Leader

I can only speak of Pokemon GO and Pokemon Shuffle Mobile, but I think that they have been decently implemented so far. They are solid casual gaming options. They are viable free-to-play games (compared to say, Pokemon Picross). Hacking seems to be a visible issue, but I suppose that's inevitable, and they are working on fixing that.

Joeypals!! likes this.
  39. Zoroark

Zoroark Aka Flare Forum Moderator Server Moderator Forum Moderator Server Moderator

PO Trainer Name:
    SkyPhoenix / Zoroark
    Leave the poor Italian Plumber rest in peace, Nintendo is squeezing the shit out of him.

Joeypals!! likes this.
  40. Professor Oak

PO Trainer Name:
    Professor Oak
    Apparently, Mario Runner is just like the other Nintendo games that seem free at first. It is "free-to-start".

aka just like any other "free-to-play" game where you just pay to play it faster or better.

tbh they've been slow to get into the mobile market, cos it is a massively growing market, and they should have been trying to get a part of it when they were actually at the peak of their popularity in modern times (aka before the Wii U was released).

I play Pokemon GO and think it could be a hell of a lot better than it currently is, even at release. I hope the other mobile games don't follow Pokemon GO's release, but are actually good when released.

Joeypals!! likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.