1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

Question of The Day! (QoTD, Thread 2) (6/7/16-1/6/17)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Joeypals!!, Jun 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Annoying Orange

Annoying Orange sweet creature Server Moderator Social Media Rep Server Moderator Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    I wish pokemon go had the usual pokemon battle mechanics. Probably been said 100000 times but it's my only problem.

2. Blitzamirin

Blitzamirin Waluigi! Number one!

PO Trainer Name:
    Blitz
    As simple as Go is, it's made me do so much more and I have friends who are hardcore into it so overall the social aspect has made it an awesome game for me. Shuffle was ok but the pay barrier is incredibly obvious, and Picross is a joke. Don't play FE sadly. :(

Mario Runner won't be free so I'm also excluding that. Might be a decent game regardless.

Joeypals!! likes this.
  3. Joeypals!!

Joeypals!! Don't you worry 'bout a thing~

PO Trainer Name:
    Joeypals
    Question for September 9th, 2016: As the seasons change, so does the temperature. What do you consider to be the "perfect weather"?

4. Fate Testarossa

Fate Testarossa Unbreakable Bond

PO Trainer Name:
    Fate Testarossa
    Usually, anything autumn-like. I prefer warmer temperatures, but usually somewhere from 65F to 75F with no humidity and a light cool breeze is best for me. I also enjoy seeing the fall colors and the leaves falling as they collect on the ground. All in all, it's quite serene, colorful, vibrant, and relaxing.

5. Professor Oak

Professor Oak same Forum Administrator Server Owner Social Media Rep Forum Administrator Server Owner Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Professor Oak
    Going to contribute fuck all except to say that I mostly agree with the above post.

6. Zoroark

Zoroark Aka Flare Forum Moderator Server Moderator Forum Moderator Server Moderator

PO Trainer Name:
    SkyPhoenix / Zoroark
    I'm more into something like a Fresh Morning breeze with a cuddly warm temperature, maybe because I'm mostly used to warm temperatures, a bit of Humidity and some occassional raining to refresh things up. Mild sunshine because I'm sort of sensitive to strong lights.

Joeypals!! likes this.
  7. Draciel

Draciel ALLEZ! ALLEZ! ALLEZ!

PO Trainer Name:
    Neo
    I like Winter, because it's so fucking hot and humid here for almost 8-9 months, and in winter the temperature gets down to 5-10 degree Celsius which is just perfect for me. I probably won't enjoy anything below 0 since I'm not used to that kind of low temps, but winter here is ideal for me.

Joeypals!! likes this.
  8. Hassin627

Hassin627 feels dank man

PO Trainer Name:
    Hassin627/dank jesus
    I feel like a fucking eskimo 99% of the time I love cold weather but start losing my life energy when its above 5℃
    Apparently my parents are afghan and used to live in 40℃ day after day so the only logical conclusion is that I might have been adopted

willdbeast and Joeypals!! like this.
  9. buny

buny heartbreak hotel

PO Trainer Name:
    buny
    agreed w/ everything said here so i don't have to write my own post

10. Annoying Orange

Annoying Orange sweet creature Server Moderator Social Media Rep Server Moderator Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    #AUTUMNBOIZ

11. Sasuke Uchiha

Sasuke Uchiha God of tits and wine

PO Trainer Name:
    Yellan
    Spring or summer. 20-23 degrees Celsius with little clouds and a slight breeze is perfect for me. I hate autumn because it means rain 24/7.

Joeypals!! likes this.
  12. E.T.

E.T. METAMORPHOSIS! Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    I tend to like the weather around mid-Fall the best because it is cool but not too cold. You also still get warm days from time to time, but sometimes that's more of an annoyance (when the weather can't make up its mind) than a good thing.

Joeypals!! likes this.
  13. Xdevo

Xdevo Phrasing Super Moderator Tour Director Super Moderator Tour Director

Mid-Spring, the time when I can still wear long-sleeve shirts, but I don't have to.

Hassin627 and Joeypals!! like this.
  14. willdbeast

willdbeast All round nice guy

PO Trainer Name:
    willdbeast
    I like winter weather as long as it's dry and not too windy coz I really feel the cold if it's damp, otherwise it just feels refreshing

15. Edna

Edna Chasing the Dragon Forum Moderator Forum Moderator

PO Trainer Name:
    Edna
    Autumn because it's not that cold yet and because it's not raining too much

16. Joeypals!!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joeypals
    Question for September 10th, 2016: What is the most pointless national holiday your country has?

17. Professor Oak

Professor Oak same Forum Administrator Server Owner Social Media Rep Forum Administrator Server Owner Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Professor Oak
    Of those that are actually listed as bank holidays and actually celebrate a holiday instead of just being "have a day off", probably the Summer Bank Holiday after the end of August.

The only national holidays that are treated as bank holidays and thus tend to be days off (or limited hours) in the UK are:
    • New Year's Day (or the Monday after)
    • 2nd of January (or the Monday after, in Scotland only)
    • St Patrick's Day (in Northern Ireland only)
    • Good Friday
    • Easter Monday (except in Scotland)
    • May Day (always the first Monday of May)
    • Spring Bank Holiday (traditionally the last Monday in May, formerly Whit Monday, has moved for celebrating the
    • Queen's Golden and Diamond Jubilees)
    • Battle of the Boyne (in Northern Ireland only)
    • Summer Bank Holiday (always the last Monday in August, except in Scotland, where it is always the first Monday in August)
    • St. Andrew's Day (in Scotland only)
    • Christmas Day (or the nearest weekday after, excluding Boxing Day)
    • Boxing Day (or the nearest weekday after, once Christmas Day Bank Holiday has been determined)

All the other days have some historical meaning behind it: Christmas Day, Boxing Day, Good Friday, Easter Monday and Whit Monday all have roots as holidays in Christianity; New Year's Day and May Day are more traditional celebrations in our culture; St. Patrick's Day and St. Andrew's Day celebrates Ireland's and Scotland's respective patron saints; and the Battle of the Boyne celebrates the ascendancy of Protestant Christianity after a victory over the troops of the Catholic James II.

I'm not Scottish (despite my forename), so the 2nd January having no meaning means fuck all to me.

The Summer Bank Holiday is literally just bankers going "we want an extra day off" and being given it in law. Pointless.

18. Annoying Orange

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    we have flag day, which is stupid. Hey, let's celebrate our flag because we're murica.

Joeypals!! likes this.
  19. Zoroark

Zoroark Aka Flare Forum Moderator Server Moderator Forum Moderator Server Moderator

PO Trainer Name:
    SkyPhoenix / Zoroark
    In my case I would say none, most of the holidays in Dominican Republic have many, but many years of history and most of them are related to our independence and the efforts of many people who sacrificed their lives for the country, so those are more like memorial days. While others are religious, though, Im neutral with those, I don't consider them pointless at all, but not any relevant either.

Joeypals!! likes this.
  20. Xdevo

US Federal Holidays - Unlike many other countries, there are no ‘national holidays’ in the United States because Congress only has constitutional authority to create holidays for federal institutions.

• New Year's Day
    • Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
    • George Washington’s Birthday
    • Memorial Day
    • Independence Day
    • Labor Day
    • Columbus Day
    • Veterans Day
    • Thanksgiving Day
    • Christmas Day

In order, I'd say Columbus Day, George Washington's Bday (called President's day by almost everyone), Labor Day, MLKjr day, Veterans, New Year's, Memorial, Thanksgiving, Independence (4th of July), and Christmas.

Columbus and President's Day aren't that common to get off for non-federal employees (I even had college during both of them). A lot of people (non-retail) get the Friday after Thanksgiving day off, New Year's Eve, Christmas Eve, and Good Friday / Monday after Easter off.

Columbus Day is probably the most pointless, considering a) Columbus did a good deal of heinous acts, b) He had next to nothing to do with the actual US forming, c) The country that he claimed the Americas for fought a great deal to keep the non-Spaniards out of the modern US.

Blitzamirin, buny and Joeypals!! like this.
  21. willdbeast

PO Trainer Name:
    willdbeast
    They should have built a wall...

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
    Joeypals!! and Joyverse like this.
  22. Dominique-XLR

Dominique-XLR I'm a simple man. I see boobs, I like.

No holidays are stupid cuz it's a fucking holiday who doesn't want a paid day off wtf

Sasuke Uchiha and Hassin627 like this.
  23. Joeypals!!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joeypals
    Question for September 11th, 2016: It's been 15 years since the September 11th attacks on the Twin Towers in New York City. What lessons do you feel can still be pulled from this attack?

24. Professor Oak

PO Trainer Name:
    Professor Oak
    Unfortunately for most people in the retail and food industries, it doesn't result in a paid day off. In some situations, it doesn't even result in extra pay for working those days. One former employer of mine expected me to work throughout every day in December for 14 hours a day. I quit on the spot when he told me that, because I was a part-time employee doing 1 shift a week prior to that.

That Americans should learn that the majority of the rest of the world puts the day before the month in the date layout, so it is really confusing as to why you all remember the 9th of November :P

Another lesson should have been to not build a tall memorial exactly where the Twin Towers were standing. Why are you giving them another target at the same location?

All jokes aside, September 11th's attacks are something that I remember seeing on the news, and remember being horrified by what was going on even back then. No one should expect to see something like that, and it truly is one of the most tragic things that has happened during my lifetime, and I hope that there won't be something worse further on in my lifetime, and even after that.

The lessons should have been simple to learn: Tighter security, promote peace, don't go to war. Instead, we've got: attempts to break through privacy laws in the name of "security"; immediately responding to the attacks by saying that we need to go to war with Iraq; and the de-stablisation of the Middle East and the rise of even more dangerous groups such as ISIS as a result of the wars in the Middle East, resulting in more war and less peace.

Attacks on any group of people should not be met with hostility. Peace promotes peace.

25. pokemonnerd

pokemonnerd Only uso listens to pnerd. Devo too. Article Contributor Article Contributor

Don't go to war against an idea.

26. Dominique-XLR

Dominique-XLR I'm a simple man. I see boobs, I like.

I'm going to elaborate to what others said above and say don't make deal with devils in the name of politics and what not. Pretty every country that USA went to war against in last two decades have been their past allies. They had American support in their path to become the monster they eventually turned into.

27. willdbeast

PO Trainer Name:
    willdbeast
    I think its a tragic reflection of the human situation that people feel that violence is the only way to solve a problem despite many examples of nonviolent resistance working in the past, but i think this is a lack of education and understanding about other cultures that causes this rather than any innate characteristic. I just hope that we can use the still relatively new media of internet and TV to get to know more of the world than our own neighborhood, just like we're doing now talking here. On a side note I find it sort of disappointing that past events such as 9/11 seem to get more publicity than the ongoing problems such as the milions dying from malaria and all the child laborers without education that we can actually do something about. Tl;dr make love not war

28. Annoying Orange

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    we are never fully safe.

Joeypals!! likes this.
  29. Velvet Blood

Velvet Blood Well-Known Member

Allahuakbar

e: what oak said

30. Pokemonistan

Pokemonistan Active Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Pokemonistan
    hi, i dont usually take part in such stuff, but i will for once due to the nature of the question

I'll list a few lessons that 9/11 has taught or reinforced:

1. War does not result in peace. Wars have only led to more wars and even larger problems than what plagued the participants prior to their occurence, paired with the loss of human life. Invading Iraq did not help, dropping bombs through drones did not help Pakistan and bombing Syria is not helping either. If you attack people, it is only natural for them to begin to hate you. Especially if you kill hundreds of thousands of innocent people by 'mistake'. There is no margin for error and you should not get involved if you cannot be clinical or at least minimise damage to the innocents.

2. Be careful about who you show your support to. Bin Laden was seen as a hero by the west when his men stood up against the the Soviets.

3. Do not back, finance, train or support military groups who can cause problems in the future for the region or for the US itself. The CIA did all of above during Operation Cyclone. Some believe that the US' financial aid to these groups helped materialise the horrific 9/11 attacks.

4. Ideologies cannot be destroyed by force. You cannot defeat an ideology by fighting it physically. If a group holds certain extremist beliefs and political views, let those who know about them deal with them. America does not need to jump into every matter to act, it is clear that Western intervention is not very welcome in these countries, let alone creating even more problems for them.

5. Let other countries deal with their problems on their own. What you are looking at is a different country from a different part of the world, which has its own people, the people have their own way of thinking and hold different cultural, moral and ethical values. Let me be very clear before I move on, I am not defending rulers like Saddam by stating the following. Dictatorship and martial law is not always wrong, my own country saw the peak of its development under army generals who overthrew democratic rule as well. Similarly, Libya was one of the most developed African nations under Gaddafi, just look up for the developments he brought about to the region. But of course, he wanted to introduce the gold dinar! It would be a wonder if Libyans do not hate the US since they aided anti-Gaddafi rebels. This only helps to create more enemies.

6. Whatever you believe the reasons to be behind the attack, do not disrespect those who lost their lives in it. You could believe in conspiracy theories all you want, but please do not say that it did not happen. People died, it happened. It's a fact, you cannot question that. Denying that is very insulting towards the victims. I personally know someone who lost one of their close relatives during the attack and it is not something to joke about.

7. Do not magnify the problem or be suspicious of every other guy that passes by. It has been 15 years since 9/11. There has been no attack with the same intensity on the American soil. No, I am not saying that we should not be trying to prevent such attacks in the future or that we should only act once there is (God forbid) another attack of the sort. What I am really trying to say here is that such attacks have not occured again (thankfully) for a reason. The US has beefed up its security and is taking every possible measure to prevent them (which includes detaining people like myself on the airport for a few hours on arrival) from happening again. Unsettling stares and irrational fear towards common brown fellow Americans is not going to help. That brown bearded guy that just passed by is not going to blow himself up as soon as you look away by shouting some words out loud, he's just looking for a fresh pair of shoes for his little son. One must remember that these people are a part of the solution to the problem, not a part of the problem itself.

Lastly and most importantly...

8. Develop sympathy for those who are victim to such attacks on a daily basis rather than demonising them. Over 30,000 people die to terrorism every year. More than 75% (78% in 2014) of all people killed and about 60% (57% in 2014) of all terror attacks take place in only five countries: Syria, Iraq, Pakistan, Afghanistan and Nigeria. We cannot change the past but still have the power to steer ourselves to a better future. As a citizen of one of the countries stated above, I can fully sympathise with the victims and the people of America on this dark day. Pointing fingers is only going to create more problems. Put history aside, look at the problems today, join hands and try to fix them together with general agreement.

31. Xdevo

Appeasement strategies do not work; this has been demonstrated since at least Napoleon, and one of worst wars of the 20th Century was worsened by terrible appeasement strategies. We shouldn't have just let Iraq take Kuwait, which is the only actual time that US attempted to "invade" the Middle East before 2004. War often times is one of the only ways to achieve a real peace (See: Napoleonic Wars, WWII), when one side's goal is the complete eradication of the opposing side, there is no compromise. The US took the lessons that the world learned from WW2, and has kept with them for better or worse.

Let's also not sit here and pretend that people don't change goals or ideologies. Hindsight is always 20/20, but let's not pretend that the CIA had any real way of knowing that Bin Laden would adopt completely anti-Western ideologies after the fall of the USSR. Just like the USSR and China didn't know that North Korea would turn into an isolationist shithole, that Cambodia would have one of the worst dictators of the 20th Century, or that the various 5 year plans would lead to the deaths of literally hundreds of millions of people. While we should maintain responsibility for our actions, unintended consequences and people's actions after the fact are impossible to predict, and shifting blame backwards helps absolutely no one.

The comments on Libya are super off-base, since it was the UN, not the US, that decided to intervene. The UN intervened because Gaddafi was using brutal methods (their words not mine). Few suspected that the Tunisian revolution would result in Arab Spring, fewer that the Arab Dictators would use incredibly repressive measures to ensure they stayed in power. Saying that countries reach development peaks with dictatorship is an incredibly awful argument for their positivity. I'm sure Germany was at its developmental peak in 1940, Hitler was still an awful, awful human being and was awful for the world as a whole. Gaddafi brought development to Libya because he ruled an oil economy in the 1970s, it wasn't a difficult endeavour. He was also repressive, backed numerous African dictators, during the civil war violated UN international law (according to the UN Human Rights Council). Don't blame the US for something that the UN decided to do.

The problem with the whole "don't interfere in other countries" idea is that the UN is literally designed encourage others to interfere in other countries. Human rights violations, nuclear or chemical weapons programs, international laws, and spilling over of violence or immigrants, and widespread calls for intervention (see: Ukraine, Somalia, Yugoslavia, Syria, both World Wars, Korean War, etc etc etc etc) are all compelling (if not wise) reasons to intervene, even if they're not the best for the region or the country that intervenes. The US has done a lot of bad with its interventionalist policies, but that's true of literally every country (China spent literally 2k years intervening with its tribute system), and there is no comparison for what would have happened if the US had never intervered in other countries or the World Wars.

E.T., Blitzamirin, willdbeast and 7 others like this.
  32. Virgin

Virgin Married

The land of the free, and the home of the brave!

33. Pokemonistan

Pokemonistan Active Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Pokemonistan
    Firstly, I'm not sure why anyone would want to start this off with another person over a post which had close to no negativity in it. Your post is leaning a lot towards the American narrative, so I'll take it that an agreement cannot be reached since we have adopted two different and conflicting perspectives, so we will have to agree to disagree.

Warfare has evolved, it is nothing like it used to be. The modern world (particularly the West) can do a lot to bend others to their will. They can lay embargoes, pressurise other nations to stop diplomatic relations, etc. It's also funny how you mention WW2 since it was drawn to an end by dropping the infamous atomic bombs which led to thousands of deaths. Sure, there is no compromise in all-out war, but the purpose of achieving peace is to avoid deaths in the future. That is nullified if you kill people in numbers that would have been killed from both sides had the war gone on anyway. Anyway, war can indeed be used to achieve peace, but in most cases in the modern world (see Yemen, Syria, Israel-Palestine, Pakistan-India, Boko Haram etc), it is clearly not bringing about any resolve. In fact, war is only increasing their bitterness between both sides. The only solution to most of these problems is through dialogue.

It's not rocket-science to look a little further into the future. Ideologies may change, but their nature will not at a fundamental level. It is not difficult to think for reasons which bring the US at odds with Al-Qaeda and Bin Laden. You also try to make a comparison between militant groups and countries, which is an awful thing to do in itself.

Now I am not going to get into whose fault it was and whose fault it wasn't, but there are a few things to point out. America has the right to veto. It can vote against something it does not want to see happening. It can never be compelled to take action unless it really wants to, since it's the strongest country in the world. America does not have to act as the world police unless it wants to assume the role of it. With every war it fights, it only makes more enemies. If one of its opposing groups somehow manage to land in a few attacks, the US is not in the position to complain as it is only to be expected. It is also very naive of one to think that the US would only do this for the sole purpose of achieving peace and order in the region. The US also has its own interests and threats to handle and those will always be a priority for them. The US is far from innocent and has probably spilled more blood than most countries in recent history for one reason or the other. I was only referring to some of Gaddafi's positive changes as an example (as to my own country). Hitler and Gaddafi are not comparable and that was a horrible comparison to make. You completely failed to see the point that I was trying to make (and started rambling about Gaddafi instead), which was that dictatorship is inherently seen as a negative trait for a country's leadership. This is not necessarily true.

As for the whole UN thing, just refer to what I said about the US above. Anyway, the United States does not need to act like the world police since there will always be 'others' to 'intefere in other countries' as the UN exists. It is helping the US to make more enemies that it does not need.

34. Joeypals!!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joeypals
    Question for September 12th, 2016: There have been plenty of animated films that have come out since film became a main source of entertainment. Some of these movies, such as Disney-Pixar's Inside Out and Focus Features' Coraline, have been regarded as some of the best movies in the genre as a whole. Then, there's some movies that are just plain awful. In your opinion, what is the worst animated movie of all time?

35. Xdevo

pokemonistan, I'd reply but your post shows you clearly don't want to have a discussion and anything I'll say is just the "american narrative" and I'm 100% sure that you're just going to hide behind that ad hominem and purposely miss the point of my arguments.

Final Fantasy: Spirits Within

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  36. Zoroark

PO Trainer Name:
    SkyPhoenix / Zoroark
    Q for 9/12/2016
    A: Hard to say, there are a LOT of awful animated movies so I'm just going to stick to that.
    Coraline was awesome tbh.

Joeypals!! likes this.
  37. pokemonnerd

pokemonnerd Only uso listens to pnerd. Devo too. Article Contributor Article Contributor

Food fight, definitely.

Joeypals!! likes this.
  38. Professor Oak

PO Trainer Name:
    Professor Oak
    Titanic: The Legend Goes On

i mean, I've not watched it, my sole experience with it is from jontron's video on it, but holy shit

Joeypals!! likes this.
  39. Joeypals!!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joeypals
    Just a proper reminder that you shouldn't use the questions and corresponding responses to go after one another :) Use your 1k/2k/69k posts to hunt heads.

Also, I totally agree with Foodfight!. Absolute abomination. The "A Car's Life" series is also pretty horrible too. Just the absolute ugliest things to look at, excluding Foodfight!. Elf Bowling had its own movie too that was shit on a stick.

40. JoyFrost

JoyFrost :thonk: Forum Moderator Server Administrator Social Media Rep Forum Moderator Server Administrator Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    JoyFrost
    Lol this question is kinda hard because I don't watch any animated movies that I think has a bad impression. (Haven't watch Foodfight! :0)
    Clearly I can't provide any anwers, though I'm looking forward to the upcoming new animated movie named "Kubo"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.