1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Cloudflare Security Issue - Change Your Passwords!

Hello there, Guest!

Cloudflare, the internet proxy we use to protect ourselves against DDoS and other malicious attacks, reported on 23rd February 2017 that they had patched a bug reported by Google's Project Zero that was exposing sensitive information in random requests, approximately 0.00003% of all requests, since September 2016.

Whilst it is unlikely that any information has been leaked from this website, we recommend that all users change their passwords here on the Pokémon Online forums, as a precaution. Remember to use a unique and secure password for every site that requires one.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Dismiss Notice

[ORAS OU] The Unexpected Circumstance (current peak #126, 1790 pts)

Discussion in 'Rate My Team' started by Joeypals!!, Jun 10, 2016.

Moderators: Edna, fsk
  1. Joeypals!!

Joeypals!! Don't you worry 'bout a thing~ Forum Moderator Forum Moderator

PO Trainer Name:
    Joeypals
    [​IMG]

So, you might be looking at the total and scratching your head hard right now. As many of you might know, I'm a NU player by nature. It's a tier I enjoy and one I don't plan on abandoning. On the other hand, I have repeatedly bashed OU for being stale and dry for god knows how many years now, just as I've bashed PS for their mostly-negative playerbase. That being said, I decided to say "fuck it" and download PS because of all the streamers I saw using it and wanting to battle against them. There was one YouTuber in particular, Super Nerd Daniel, that I fought with a 5-minute team that you're about to see. Again, I don't consider myself an OU player at all and I can definitely see flaws in my team, but these flaws are inoperable without alienating the main goal of my team. With that being said, this is an OU team that I used over on PS that's done pretty damn well and far past my expectations so far. Let's get the exposition out of the way and jump into the main content, shall we? Just a mini-cringe warning, again, I'm NOT an OU player. I'll try my best to describe but it's gonna be hard for me. OK, here we go.

The Peak
    [​IMG]
    Team at a glance

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Teambuilding Process
    [​IMG]
    I started off with my favorite Pokemon of all time, Azelf. Azelf is a powerful, fast Pokemon with plenty of options at its deposal, though these days it only seems to be using the Exploding set. That being said, I told myself I'd show there were other ways than suicide to go with Azelf, thus why I made my Azelf a special lead instead of one that goes boom. It works awesomely due to common misconceptions as you'll see later.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    After Azelf was picked, I needed to pick some supporting Pokemon that could easily cover Azelf's biggest issues -- special walls, Rapid Spinners, and Dark types. Thus entered Gengar and Mega Lopunny. The Gengar that I chose deals with Pokemon such as Chansey quite easily while also giving itself offensive momentum in dealing with the blob. As for Mega Lopunny, I needed a way to deal with Pokemon such as Tyranitar and dragons such as Dragonite if they haven't set up yet. She's a bit frail, but at the same time she deals a crapload of damage and takes down things you wouldn't expect her too, making her all the more invaluable.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    After that, I knew I needed some defensive power, so enter Landorus-T and Azumarill. Landorus-T, despite not having a Rock Helmet or defense EVs, is meant to buffer physical attackers slightly as well as deal with things such as Heatran that could annoy both Azelf and Mega Lopunny depending on the set. Landorus-T's physical movepool is also just enough to cause major damage to anyone that gets in its way, making for a pretty nice team option. As for Azumarill, I needed a way to deal with dragons that have set up and are trying to Outrage through everything. Thanks to the fairy typing it got this generation, Azumarill has become nothing short of an offensive juggernaut, able to tear through all sorts of foes if the situation is right. Azumarill is very much a nuke, plus the Water typing is greatly appreciated at this point of the build for defensive purposes.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    And finally, I went with Magnezone. Magnezone is a very fun Pokemon to use in general if you change it up from the expectations, very much able to make use of the opponent's shock of whatever you decide to do. I also needed both electric attacks, a crapload of resistances, and pivoting. Al of these are provided beautifully in Magnezone, and is a Pokemon that should never get slept on because it's slow.

The Squad

[​IMG]
    Xtina (Azelf) @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Levitate
    Shiny: Yes
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Stealth Rock
    - Flamethrower
    - Dazzling Gleam
    - Psychic
    Azelf is usually my lead, unless a Pokemon like Tornadus-T or Mega Medicham is sitting around on the team. What's fun about this Azelf is that not only is it able to hit hard without blowing up, but it's also able to catch plenty of people off guard. Here's an example from a battle I had yesterday. The opponent led with Rocky Helmet Landorus, I led with Azelf. I used Stealth Rock right away as he used U-Turn, going into Ferrothorn. You know what happened next? Flatout OHKO with Flamethrower. Because of common expectations for Azelf, it's very easy to catch plenty of people off guard and and take out some of their most crucial Pokemon. Dazzling Gleam's use as well as Psychic's should be quite evident, but the fact that it can pull plenty of surprises on an opponent despite being around for 10 years in September makes Azelf quite the marvel. Now, there's clearly other move options that could be considered here, such as Energy Ball and Thunderbolt. However, given what resides in OU, the trio of attacking moves I chose usually pan out best.

[​IMG]
    Britney (Lopunny-Mega) (F) @ Lopunnite
    Ability: Scrappy
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Fake Out
    - High Jump Kick
    - Ice Punch
    - Return
    So, now that Rocks are on the field, we can move into a Pokemon that'll be cleaning house once the situation is optimal. Mega Lopunny, a Pokemon that's an alternative lead should something like Heatran, Tornadus-T, or Mega Medicham be around, is quite the offensive force and should never be taken lightly because it's a rabbit. Mega Lopunny has the uncanny ability to beat things it shouldn't be able to beat based on typing due to blistering fast speeds and just as strong attack. Its movepool should be quite simple to look at. Fake Out to get Mega safely and do nice chip damage after Mega evolving, HJK and Return are main stabs Ice Punch hits Dragons and Landorus-T. Lopunny is able to take care of common threats with the right support, and pairs quite nicely with everything else on the team. Mega Lopunny is never to be taken lightly, and on a high offense team like this it’s all the more vital.

[​IMG]
    Adam Levine (Landorus-Therian) @ Life Orb
    Ability: Intimidate
    Adamant Nature
    - Rock Polish
    - Knock Off
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge

This is my main bread and butter in terms of offensive prowess. These days, you'll commonly see Landorus-T running Choice Scarf or Rocky Helmet, which is fine and all, but neither of those truly fit here. In comes Landorus-T's moveset. The main tactic for this guy is once things that can immediately threaten it before Rock Polish, such as Azumarill or Skarmory, then set up and let loose. Landorus-T's three moves are all meant to take down many different things that can come against it. Knock Off is very obviously for Pokemon such as Mew and Latios, two very common Pokemon in the meta from my experience. Earthquake is easy STAB that can hit like a massive truck, which Stone Edge helps with things such as Dragonite who can be a threat otherwise. Landorus-T very much fits my sweeper credo alongside Lopunny, which means I need to take care of the physical walls somehow. And how do I do that?
    [​IMG]
    Zedd (Magnezone) @ Choice Specs
    Ability: Analytic
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
    Modest Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
    - Volt Switch
    - Thunderbolt
    - Flash Cannon
    - Hidden Power [Fire]

Simple. I use this goddamn cannon. Magnezone sports a very high set of resistances and has pretty nice STAB coverage this generation due to the prominence of fairies and Water, along with Flying, types being good as usual. The main set that you'll see is Choice Specs with Magnet Pull, and while it's fine and dandy, I feel like everyone predicts that and doesn't attempt the switch... at least over on PS anyway where the switching availability isn't immediately known. As such, I went with Analytic, which pans out nicely anyway if no Steel types are running around. The beauty about this thing is that it's easy to pressure switches. Defensive sets of Clefable don't do know to do, and switchins like Landorus-T won't know what hit em when they get flatly knocked out. Flash Cannon is a very fine option when Landorus-T or similar Pokemon are around, while after that Thunderbolt and Volt Switch will be your main bread and butter. As for HP Fire, that's a nice move I have in place for Pokemon that believe they are trapped (Ferrothorn, Scizor) as well as Pokemon that think they can switch in just fine (Excadrill). It has enough bulk to live hits such as Superpower from Tornadus-T and get in another kill as a result, which is truly quite impressive. Again, I'm having difficulties saying what I want to say, but you get the jist. Massive surprise factor with huge amounts of power.
    [​IMG]
    Prince (Gengar) (M) @ Black Sludge
    Timid Nature
    - Substitute
    - Taunt
    - Sludge Wave
    - Shadow Ball

Next up we have my wall annoyance. When I was grabbing Gengar, my immediate thought was "fuck Chansey over". Taunt and Substitute do that alone unless this supposed Chansey is offensive, in which case just grab Mega Lopunny and destroy. Substitute on this set alone is quite nice, allowing me to avoid unnecessary predictions while capitalizing on a switch by sitting behind a nice little decoy while I rack up damage. The reason why I use Sludge Wave instead of Sludge Bomb is because I have a semi-irrational fear of Chesnaught being able to fully wall my Gengar, which frankly is nothing short of embarrassing. Shadow Ball should be quite obvious, being your main attacking option should Heatran be around. Gengar is the thing that shuts down walls, and does so with relative ease.
    [​IMG]
    Ariana Grande (Azumarill) (F) @ Choice Band
    Ability: Huge Power
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
    Adamant Nature
    - Aqua Jet
    - Waterfall
    - Play Rough
    - Ice Punch

Wrapping up this team is my secondary offensive cannon, Azumarill. Azumarill provides two typings I needed -- Water and Fairy. Aqua Jet from a Choice Banded Aqua Jet is absolutely nothing to sneeze at, with it doing a great deal of damage if unresisted. Aqua Jet also provides me with double priority, which is quite nice to have towards the end of the battle when combined with Mega Lopunny's Fake Out. Water/Fairy provides a nice amount of offensive prowess towards types that could use dealing with, such as Dragon and Fire. Sporting 654 Attack with Huge Power and a Choice Band, if you don't resist it, odds are you will be dead unless your name is Slowbro or Ferrothorn (which Magnezone conveniently handles both). It's a nice wrapup to this team, giving me three Pokemon on both ends of the offensive spectrum that work quite well with each others weaknesses.

Mini threat list:

Gastrodon -- Literally my main phobia, especially the Curse sets. Gastrodon almost makes me want to run HP Grass on Magnezone, but in the end I'll be killing far less things I want to. If I can get in before Gastrodon sets up, things are fine, otherwise it's an issue.
    Mega Pinsir -- When /isn't/ this thing a threat? I basically just need to keep Rocks up and I'll be able to take it down with either Landorus-T or Azumarill without it using Swords Dance... if it does I'm in deep shit. I haven't lost to one yet, but the shock is quite up there.
    Slowbro -- If I don't have Magnezone, Slowbro can be a major bitch to deal with. It's not impossible as I have Gengar's Shadow Ball with Landorus-T's Knock Off, but otherwise it can very well be an issue.
    Volcanion -- There's a reason why this thing is at least being looked at right now in terms of a future suspect. Steam Eruption is pretty damn messy to deal with, and if I don't have something faster around such as Landorus-T for the Choice Specs sets, I can be in real trouble.

And there we go, there's my attempt at an RMT for a tier I don't play. I'll leave the importable below, and if you have any suggestions please leave those down in the comments. I know there's room to improve, but I don't know where without encroaching on what I already have, so I'm all ears to whatever you have. Alright, see you guys around.
    Britney (Lopunny-Mega) (F) @ Lopunnite
    Ability: Scrappy
    Jolly Nature
    - Fake Out
    - High Jump Kick
    - Ice Punch
    - Return

Adam Levine (Landorus-Therian) @ Life Orb
    Ability: Intimidate
    Adamant Nature
    - Rock Polish
    - Knock Off
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge

Xtina (Azelf) @ Focus Sash
    Timid Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Flamethrower
    - Dazzling Gleam
    - Psychic

Prince (Gengar) (M) @ Black Sludge
    Timid Nature
    - Substitute
    - Taunt
    - Sludge Wave
    - Shadow Ball

Zedd (Magnezone) @ Choice Specs
    Ability: Analytic
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
    Modest Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
    - Volt Switch
    - Thunderbolt
    - Flash Cannon
    - Hidden Power [Fire]

Ariana Grande (Azumarill) (F) @ Choice Band
    Ability: Huge Power
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
    Adamant Nature
    - Aqua Jet
    - Waterfall
    - Play Rough
    - Ice Punch

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
    E.T. and Joyverse like this.
  2. Joyverse

Joyverse Road Roller time! Article Contributor Article Contributor

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    How the fuck is someone at #126 at 1760 points? Oho PS Ladder ic ic!
    Are people on smogon that dumb to not see through an analytic mag?

The team is pretty cool tbh, considering OU is a very vast tier and a lot of mons here and there.

For Azelf, I would suggest an alternative set of Taunt or Skill Swap/SR/Fire Blast/Explosion with Naive or Hasty with 4 Atk/252 SpA/252 Spe. Skill Swap is especially fun vs Magic Bouncers.

Mega Lop fine just as it is.

For Lando-T I suggest giving a different spread of 88 HP/252 Atk/168 Spe this way you'll have bulk and outspeed at +2 Scarf Keldeo which is a troublesome. You can try giving it Lum but LO is good nonetheless.

EDIT: Or go scarf like with U-Turn/Knock Off/EQ/Stone Edge

Idk what to say about your Mag, it's unconventional really. If played well nothing switches in but you lose the utility of trapping mons. However now that you are up in the ladder, I believe Shed Shell Skarms will be fairly common so OK.

Gengar could be made into a Wisp+Hex Gengar really, make sure you have 0 Atk IVs cuz eh foul play but lol...
    EDIT:Screw the change really, the set is good as it is. Wisp+Taunt helps versus Chansey but still it's problematic versus say Clef.

Give Azu Superpower > Ice Punch. This way you hit random Ferrothorns much much better.

Also as a matter of fact, KyuB Scarfed instantly threatens like all of your mons (bar AZELF CUZ SUICIDE LEAD) LO KyuB to an extent can be dealt with but be careful playing around it.

I hope I helped, ciao!
    EDIT: I had a very nice talk with someone and he/she suggested some changes here and there. I went through them myself and here we go.

Remember when I said Scarf KyuB is immediately threatening to your team so using Scarf Lando-T immediately provides a solution (if not a counter) to your KyuB and electric types really.

Also another suggestion is to use Thundurus I > Strange Mag named Zedd. Just go LO with NP/Thunderbolt/Grass Knot/Focus Blast. Timid with 252 SpA/252 Spe. This way your weakness to Gastrodon (LOL), Mega Pinsir, Volcanion and Slowbro are all taken care of. Plus it's also a soft check of sorts versus Torn-T versus which the team would slightly take a dent from.

Hope I helped you now for real lol! Ciao!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
    Joeypals!! likes this.
  3. Joeypals!!

Joeypals!! Don't you worry 'bout a thing~ Forum Moderator Forum Moderator

PO Trainer Name:
    Joeypals
    As far as Ice Punch being replaced by Superpower goes, I've definitely thought about it. However, that makes Azumarill more suspectable to get shut down with a properly predicted switch or play, since Choice Band. That allows the opponent to be said. The main reason why Ice Punch is there is to deal with Amoonguss, who is actually fairy common over on PS. Ferrothorn isn't a real concern thanks to "trapping Magnezone as well as my fake suicidal lead Azelf, but I do appreciate that critique.

The rest I'll touch on after work.

4. AustinXhensL

AustinXhensL Member

ok so ive been using this team for a bit to figure out the odds and ends of it and as ive topped the ladder with it myself ill note the changes ive made and the weaknesses ive discovered from it, firstly you have plenty of ways to deal with fairy types with this team already , magnezone counters all fairies except for gardevoir pretty well as is, so i would change sludge wave to focus blast on gengar, the top 3 switchins to gengar currently are tyranitar, ferrothorn, and heatran all of which get ohkoed/2hkoed by focublast while also pressuing chansey more as gengar is your best chansey killer. 2nd run smack down > stone edge on landorus, it still ohkos offensive talons while giving him better utility and more reliability. And as said before ice punch is situational on azumarill though the ability to anti lead rocky helmet landorus is situationally nice. Your team is extremely weak to dugtrio though as magnezone is a huge defensive pivot on this team, that being said hes not common but can force you into bad situations repeatedly. Overall decent team, im sitting ~1500 on po ladder with it and ~1800 on ps ladder.

Moderators: Edna, fsk