1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

Battle moves animations (and sounds)

Discussion in 'Simulator Suggestions' started by Pumone, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Pumone

Pumone Member

I know this thing was suggested a lot of time in the past, but I'm here to ask if the battle moves animations can be done with a .gif transparent file loaded by the script.

I'm not a good scripter at all, but I had a look on the moves script like "scald", so the script loads the files .png (flames and wave in this case) and move them around the screen.

Now I ask you if I can make the move scald just load the .gif file and play the animation itself. Maybe in this way we can create great move animations and again, maybe we need to reverse the .gif for the foe moves.

I think PO needs this so much, I believe in this community! =)

2. MidwayMarshall

MidwayMarshall woof Forum Moderator Developer Forum Moderator Developer

The webclient & desktop have animated weather. It's a matter of who is going to make compressed animations for us? I don't have the time its a huge project. Also its not done using scripts.

3. Pumone

Pumone Member

I know this is a huge project. I don't have a lot of time as I work full time, but I like to create animations especially the battle moves!

So if anybody can teach me how animations really get implemented, as you said "its not done using scripts". I thought the files in "qml/battleDataQML/Moves were scripts...

So thank you for your reply.

4. coyotte508

coyotte508 Well-Known Member Administrator Server Owner Administrator Server Owner

It can load a gif (and animate it?) .

You can edit battleDataQML/Moves/Surf.qml, replace Image { by AnimatedImage {, and change the .png to a .gif. And add "playing: true" in its properties.

You can then remove the particle element or at least:
    count: params.flames ? 6 : 0

Remove just put "count: 0" instead.

You can then open a new battle window and you should see changes.

Pumone likes this.
  5. Pumone

Pumone Member

@coyotte508 does PO have a function that plays a sound when a move is done? For example when we use a fire type move, can PO play a sound for it?

6. MidwayMarshall

MidwayMarshall woof Forum Moderator Developer Forum Moderator Developer

Edit the weather or move qml files. It's a meta language so you can edit as you like and see if it can play a SoundEffect along side/after the animation.

Joyverse likes this.