1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

Suspect Discussion: Hoopa [Banned]

Discussion in 'Gen 6 NU' started by Draciel, Jun 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Draciel

Draciel ALLEZ! ALLEZ! ALLEZ!

PO Trainer Name:
    Neo
    [​IMG]

Discuss the possibility of Hoopa being banned from the ORAS NU tier.

Use this thread to discuss Hoopa's effect on the metagame; talk about the different sets it can use, good partners and potential checks/counters. State your opinion on whether you think it should be banned, but make sure your posts are backed up by experience and knowledge. Anyone who makes post based on theorymon risks being infracted.

If you're unsure about posting check out this guide and post anyway.

E.T., l The Trainer l and Jethalal like this.
  2. E.T.

E.T. SSSSSSSSSSSSS! Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    Grabbing this from my post in another thread:

Hoopa has sky high Special Attack and Special Defense. For example, Assault Vest Hoopa without any defensive investment can survive Choice Specs Adaptability Draco Meteor from Dragalge who was recently banned. Hoopa also hits hard with its base 150 Special Attack on both defensive spectrum with its STAB combination of Psyshock and Shadow Ball, and for Dark-types that resist this combination, it has Focus Blast. Its Speed does hold it back though because it is threatened by faster physical attackers.

To add to this, Hoopa doesn't have many reliable switch-ins. Skuntank can switch in thanks to its Poison/Dark typing allowing it to be immune to Psyshock, resist Shadow Ball, and take neutral damage from Focus Blast, and it can Pursuit trap as long as it runs enough Speed to be faster since it is 2HKO'd by Focus Blast. Spiritomb can survive a Shadow Ball, but then it has to play mind games between Sucker Punch and Pursuit. Mega Audino and Togetic can switch into Hoopa, but they can't do much afterwards, and they definitely lose if it has Taunt. Specially Defensive Mandibuzz a good answer as long as Hoopa doesn't run Thunderbolt.

Faster physical attackers can be a big threat to Hoopa due to Hoopa's low Defense and quad weakness to Knock Off. However, it should be noted that Hoopa is very capable of running a Choice Scarf set with Trick. I think that Hoopa's special stats are simply too strong for NU, and it has a great STAB combination and move pool to utilize its special stats effectively. I think Hoopa should be banned from ORAS NU.

Joyverse likes this.
  3. Dominique-XLR

Dominique-XLR I'm a simple man. I see boobs, I like.

It saddens me to see Hoopa-C fall so far below. Probably our lack of playerbase is the issue.

Let's face it, Hoopa-C doesn't belong here. Don't let a infiltrator Dark-Ghost type tell you otherwise. Neither should broken beats broken be a valid argument, which unfortunately is the case now.

LO Modest Hoopa 2hkos Mandibuzz after rocks. You need neither Modest nor Life orb for Spiritomb and Skuntank. Hell, Skuntank gets OHKO'd by +1 Focust Blast. So defensively he's pretty much impossible to handle.

This thing tanks pretty much every special attack which are not super effective, and special ghost/dark stabs are rare as it is. I'm not sure about the ev investments for AV set but with zero defensive or hp investment av hoopa can tank shadow ball from scarf rotom after rocks, scarf haunter and lefties Mismagius without rocks. That's exactly how bulky it is on the special side.

This thing dismantles stall from OU to NU. Once behind sub, its a nightmare for balance as well. You get perfect coverage between Shadow ball & Focus blast, so you can easily dedicate one slot for Nasty Plot or Calm Mind. Audino, Togekiss, Weezing, Vileplume, Vaporeon, Lanturn, Special Mesprit, Omaster, Ludicolo... all setup baits. Sub-Salac set can sweep offense/balance, or you run scarf. All these not taking account of the sheer amount of physical options it has.

So yeah, send this through the hoop into banned dimension.

Funbot28 likes this.
  4. Xdevo

Xdevo Phrasing Super Moderator Tour Director Super Moderator Tour Director

Yeah Hoopa is pretty clearly broken in NU. No real counters, extremely few checks, good enough bulk, and a few immunities for switch-in opportunities means that Hoopa both is nearly guaranteed a kill upon entry, but also that Hoopa isn't all that hard to get into play.

Obviously, Hoopa's speed (and pursuit weakness) mean that once Hoopa does get a kill, its most likely forced out of play or trapped. This might mitigate just how broken Hoopa is, but is nowhere near enough to stop Hoopa from dominating the tier.

Hoopa is hereby banned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.