1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[Monotype] Mega Altaria suspect

Discussion in 'Gen 6 Side Metagames' started by Edna, Jul 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Edna

Edna Chasing the Dragon Forum Moderator Tournament Host Forum Moderator Tournament Host

PO Trainer Name:
    Edna
    [​IMG]

Discuss the effects of Mega Altaria on the Monotype metagame and the possibility of banning it. Post intelligently based off of experience in the metagame. Posts based off theorymon risk forum infractions. i.e. if you play Monotype at all, then post.

Attempt to find the checks and counters (or lack thereof) for Mega Altaria as well as its impact and power in the metagame. Do not simply say "it's broken" or "it's not broken". Back up your arguments on why you think it should be banned or not. Keep in mind we can ban it from one type and not the other.

If a consensus is reached or a clear majority is established, then the result will likely be implemented in the metagame, otherwise it will go to a vote. Happy suspecting.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    Joyverse likes this.
  2. Funbot28

Funbot28 Active Member

I believe Mega Altaria is an unhealthy presence in the Monotype metagame due to the ability to completely create disadvantages and unfair matchups within certain types (ie: Dragon, Fighting,Bug, Dark,etc...) especially after a Dragon Dance boost and games can basically be decided upon whether or not Mega Altaria is able to get even at least one boost. It can become extremely difficult to win the match with certain types due to its bulk and amazing defensive typing limiting the amount of counterplay to make it stop setting up. I feel its a powerful force on both Flying and Dragon teams and should be globally banned.

3. Edna

Edna Chasing the Dragon Forum Moderator Tournament Host Forum Moderator Tournament Host

PO Trainer Name:
    Edna
    Some points I don't agree with and that I feel need to be adressed, Mega Altaria is a win condition yes, but it lacks offensive coverage unless you run Fire Blast. Bronzong, Ferrothorn, Mega Scizor, Skarmory Counter, Scarf Kyurem-B and I pass some are great ways of dealing with Mega Altaria.

I however do not feel Mega Altaria is the best choice in Flying due to Mega Gyarados having a nice mega to deal with Ice mons with Crunch/Waterfall. It sure is a great mon but not outstanding in Flying.

However, it creates a bad environment in Dragon as Monodragon is full of nukes ( Dragalge, Latwins, Garchomp, Dragonite) and Altaria with heal bell just makes some matchup totally lame like Drag vs Drag or Drag vs Dark. Cobalion with Twave is an excellent stop to non Heal Bell Altaria as the phy def set can take 2 EQ or just a boosted one.

I've seen some gimmick moves such as sing but they're really not good and totally outclassed by Roost. That is for the offensive set.

Now comes another tricky part is the Cotton Guard Facade DD Roost set that simply sets up on too many types bar Steel and it gets so bulky and fast that it will be very hard to stop a sweep. Obviously, a lot of types need to run a steel type because it's the best defensive typing.

I am myself leading toward ban mostly in Dragon, but have no solid opinion of Altaria in Flying because like Metagross in Psy there is better to use

Jethalal, Joyverse and Oh So Penspin like this.
  4. Joyverse

Joyverse Back for a blast!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    DEAD!
    Sigh.

I am leaning towards a possible ban in Dragon and No Ban in Flying.

Dragon
    This is probably where almost every matchup turns in to a shitfest. Dragon vs Drag is generally built to counter Fairy teams less and other Dragon teams. The battle is generally who gets the kill the other's Nanny Burd first, which is probably most of us (myself included) are inclined to use Scarf Kyu-B and Bulky Dragalge more. Truth be said I like LO Kyu-B way more but I am forced to use scarf just to help ease things vs Dragon. Drag vs Dark is generally a win after Weavile is dead and Mega Altaria has boosted gg. Dragon vs. Fight is an issue as well. Though Toxicroak/Lucario/Cobalion ease the issue to an extent, they still don't have enough to counter (not like Fights are ever meant to do that, Coba checks once tho). However I option find using Mega Altaria pretty troubling versus Steel and Poison. Even though Altaria has teammates to care of em, they still pose a huge threat to Mega Altaria which is still a win-con against them (Cuz EQ and Fire Blast).
    In Steel, Skarm, Zong, Heatran (AB), Scarf Exca, Aegi pose a significant threat to Dragon almost all the time and are often staple. Poison has Bulky Golbat (HAZE x.x), Clear Smog/Spore Amoonguss, Mega Venusaur and Mega Beedrill (outspeeds max +1 Speed Altaria so rkills) all pose a significant threat to it. Drapion checks as well.
    Though two types aren't much considering it is after all monotype where the variety is huge. Carl did mention Hyperbulky Monoattacking Altaria which gets fucked up real good against Taunters/Para/Sleep and then there are Steels, Poison, Hazers and Phazers. It's not the best set I'll tell you that. I can live with Mega Altaria not getting banned in Dragon but personally I'd like use the other megas availiable to drag sometimes. Banning MAltaria is going to ease up a lot of situations overall so we can go ahead with a ban as well! :v

Flying
    LOL!!!!
    This is totally different story here. Flying's most major weakness lies in the Electric, Ice next. Any good teambuilder would try to patch up it's elec weakness by adding Gliscor/Lando-T but in the end it's still weak to Ice. Now having a mega like Zard X (omg it's banned fml zomg!!) or Mega Gyarados mildly alleviates the Ice weakness but having a mega like MAltaria only elevates it. I wouldn't use it in flying types as a ddancer ever. Maybe it can still work as a cleric, but why waste a mega slot if you already have Togekiss? MAltaria is majorly outclassed by Togekiss as both a special sweeper and a cleric. DDGyara beats it as the better DDancer in flying. SO A STRONG NO BAN HERE!

5. sulcata

sulcata stéphane curry best waifu Forum Moderator Server Administrator Forum Moderator Server Administrator

tbh I'd say roost/return/dd/heal bell mega altaria is the best set on dragon. Mostly because is maintains its sweeping potential while being able to act as a cleric for itself and the rest of the team. A special tank with heal bell is also pretty neat.

Mega Altaria isn't going to do much of anything v. Steel and Poison for the most part. There's no point in haze golbat when you can just attack it. It's against types like Water, Fire, Dark, Psychic, etc. in which you can procure multiple boosts and not worry about Scald burns and twave.

Dragon v. Dragon isn't that bad. You can also sack rocky helmet garchomp to get in chip damage and then revenge with cb dnite. I don't think polarizing its own matchup is much of a reason to ban anything. Heatran/Excadrill does the same thing to steel, Hawlucha to fighting, Mega Lop to normal, Nidoking to poison, etc. Usually there's one mon that tends to centralize the ditto matchup.

I agree to not banning it on Flying. There are better megas to use for the most part. Wasn't really pro-ban before, but the Fighting, Dark, and Water matchups might make it worthwhile to ban on Dragon.

Joyverse and Jethalal like this.
  6. sulcata

sulcata stéphane curry best waifu Forum Moderator Server Administrator Forum Moderator Server Administrator

Mega Altaria is going to be banned from Dragon next tiers update.

Funbot28 and Joyverse like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.