1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

August/ September ORAS NU Potential Suspect Discussion

Discussion in 'Gen 6 NU' started by Xdevo, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Xdevo

Xdevo Phrasing Super Moderator Tour Director Super Moderator Tour Director

NU>OU
    Politoed

NU>LU

Jolteon
    Scrafty

LU>NU

Gurdurr
    Clawitzer
    Swellow

This set of drops and rises is no where near as destructive as last cycle's. We regain Gurdurr, Swellow, and Clawitzer, while we lose Politoed (no one cares), Jolteon and Scrafty.

Post here to talk about the new tier and suggest potential suspects.

Draciel likes this.
  2. E.T.

E.T. SSSSSSSSSSSSS! Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    Nice shift. I say good riddance to Jolteon and Scrafty and welcome the others back into the tier.

For potential suspects, I've been thinking about bringing up Mandibuzz for a bit. It is insanely bulky by NU standards, and it is capable of running physically defensive or specially defensive sets well. Access to Foul Play makes it difficult for most physical boosters to muscle past it. Taunt allows it to deal with Calm Mind users like Spiritomb, and its decent Speed allows it to cause trouble for defensive Pokemon as well. Mandibuzz is weak to Stealth Rock, but it is a reliable Defog user. Overcoat also gives it an immunity to powder moves. I'm not sure if it is actually broken though because unlike previous bulky Pokemon to be banned such as Milotic and Goodra, Mandibuzz really doesn't have notable offensive presence unless it can use its opponent's Attack against it with Foul Play. I would like to hear more opinions on this.

Funbot28 likes this.
  3. Lavender

Lavender New Member

i would definitely second mandibuzz, it's just way too fat and has too good a support movepool - it renders other defoggers virtually useless, if not highly niche.
    just a little calc to show how hard it is to take down:
    252 SpA Rotom Volt Switch vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Mandibuzz: 192-228 (45.3 - 53.9%) -- 2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
    i'd also say registeel is deserving of a suspect, it's incredibly bulky and walls so much of the tier, even mons that have super-effective non-STAB moves. it's the best sr setter in the tier, almost impossible to ohko, and it's great at spreading status. it's also worth mentioning that the curse set (lol) is very viable, as once any taunter or (p)hazer is out of the picture it becomes incredibly hard to stop barring dedicated fire-type special attackers (magmortar, pyroar, camerupt) or a crit super effective physical attack.

DracoNova likes this.
  4. Draciel

Draciel ALLEZ! ALLEZ! ALLEZ!

PO Trainer Name:
    Neo
    I'd like to bring up a potential NU suspect in Registeel. It's a defensive behemoth with excellent 100/150/150 defensive stats, great monosteel typing, with access to a bunch of utility moves in thunder wave/SR/toxic. Although it relies on passive damage a lot so powerful stall breakers like gurdurr, magmortar, Pyroar can beat it 1v1, however the latter two must be wary of switching in on it or get crippled by a twave. The defensive utility it provides might be just enough to push it over the edge in terms of balanced NU Mon, and all NU teams need to pack a surefire way of beating regi.

Another potential suspect would be mega audino, with its absurd bulk and semi reliable recovery in wish/resttalk allowing it to shrug off even super effective moves and set up Calm mind boosts for a win. It can perform as a CM resttalk sweeper or a wish/heal bell defensive tank providing team support by walling majority of the tier. Garbodor, skuntank, weezing all manage to 3hko with super effective poison stabs, whereas iron head Tauros manages 3hko as well.
    The main drawbacks for mega audino would be its useless ability and no sort of reliable recovery, as it has to rely on wish /protect or resttalk to replenish health. It's also fairly weak and passive as its main attack dazzling gleam receives no Stab prior to mega evolving and its fairly weak without a bunch of CM boosts even after mega evolving. However it's ability to set up on a huge portion of the tier makes a legit threat that all teams have to prepare for and one might argue that it restricts team-building to some point.

Thoughts anyone?

DracoNova likes this.
  5. Annoying Orange

Annoying Orange sweet creature Server Moderator Social Media Rep Server Moderator Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    after playing a lot of nu recently, I've found registeel to be one of the hardest mons to work around. Very few mons in the tier hit it hard enough. Also, it can take any hit and throw out rocks. As you said, it can easily t wave any of the breakers. I think it fits better in LU where it isn't as much of a problem with almost any team.

Audino, however, I haven't had a problem with. Maybe because for me, it's easier to work around, but I can see how it's a huge potential threat or even just a bothersome wall. Its useless ability & limited moveslots if it's recovering make it seem not too broken for NU. If it were to be moved up, I still don't think we'll be seeing it a lot in LU as there are many better options for healers & megas.

6. LittleRoot

LittleRoot Active Member

Giving up my thoughts.
    Registeel, It has great defensive stats, can tank mightiest hit from any mon and cripple it back with t-wave. Clear body is a helpful ability which prevents the stat drop.

252+ SpAtk Magmortar Fire Blast vs. 252 HP/184+ SpDef Leftovers Registeel: 216 - 254 (59.3 - 69.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers
    (I'm just showing how fat is steel, it's obv that no regi will stay in mag)

+2 252+ Atk Samurott Waterfall vs. 252 HP/64 Def Leftovers Registeel: 160 - 190 (44 - 52.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers

252+ SpAtk Choice Specs Poliwrath Focus Blast vs. 252 HP/184+ SpDef Leftovers Registeel: 242 - 288 (66.5 - 79.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers / Poliwrath is p much used now a days. You can t-wave it or toxic it to cripple it.

You also could use Toxic+Protect for set up sweepers like SD Scyther and SD Samurott and can cripple fat mons like Gastro and Mesprit etc. toxic/tect does a cheap amount on every turn. Registeel is a reliable rocker. You can easily plot rocks on opponent's field with having great defensive stats.
    Seismic toss is great move and mandatory on Registeel, which always removes 100 HP from any mon (bar ghost types) which is helpful for those who can't recover themselves directly.

There is another set that you could run on registeel.

Registeel @ Leftovers
    Ability: Clear Body
    EVs: 248 HP / 28 Def / 228 SDef / 4 Spd Careful Nature
    - Curse
    - Iron Head
    - Rest
    - Sleep Talk

You can make your registeel into a potential sweeper, once it's all counters eliminate.

+6 4 SpAtk Mega Audino Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP/228+ SpDef Leftovers Registeel: 78 - 93 (21.4 - 25.5%) -- 0.4% chance to 5HKO, 100% chance to 6HKO after Leftovers. You can use this set to counter restalk Mega Audino, also you can use Audino as a set up bait. This shows regi's bulkiness.

As about Registeel's negative point, it can completely shut down by taunt, and in this meta most of team packs one taunt user.
    Some mons would love to have Registeel in opponent's party. eg Taunt Weezing, Bulk up Gurdurr etc.

But if you have some supporting mon like Wish/Tect Mega Audino then Regi could make a decent core with it.

IMO Registeel should banned from NU, since it resists most comman types and tanks powerful hits thanks to it's excellent type and stats.

7. E.T.

E.T. SSSSSSSSSSSSS! Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    Registeel is definitely worth a suspect. 80/150/150 defenses are ridiculous by NU standards, and its Steel typing allows it to wall many Pokémon effectively. While it is weak to Ground-, Fighting-, and Fire-type attacks, teammates such as Vaporeon, Weezing, and Granbull can be switch-ins for these. This also makes it a little more difficult to wall break with choice users since Registeel usually carries Protect for scouting and gaining extra Leftovers recovery. As has been mentioned already, Taunt can be helpful against Registeel, and Registeel also lacks reliable recovery. Registeel also tends to be pretty passive, but offensive Pokémon have to think twice about switching into it because they could get hit with Thunder Wave.

Mega Audino is a suspect that I would have supported a couple of shifts ago because it is another Pokémon that is arguably too bulky for NU. Mega Audino's bulk can create many opportunities for a Calm Mind set to work. The addition of Magneton to the tier helped to put more pressure on Mega Audino, but Curse Registeel, Klinklang, Mawile, Skuntank, Weezing, Garbador, and Golbat all have ways of beating it, and like Registeel, Mega Audino is heavily impaired by Taunt. Mega Audino can bait some of these checks with moves like Fire Blast and Psychic, but offensive Mega Audino doesn't have nearly as much potential for Calm Mind sweeping. I guess I wouldn't be opposed to a Mega Audino suspect, but I don't think Mega Audino is broken right now.

Another Pokémon that I'd like to bring up is Magmortar. From a defensive perspective, how do you stop the wall breaking set? If Water-types are switched in, they can be bopped with Thunderbolt. Lanturn gets bopped by Earthquake while Gastrodon gets bopped by HP Grass. Rock-types either get bopped by Focus Blast or HP Grass (I mean stuff like Rhydon and Golem). I've tried using Miltank since it can still do a decent job with Thick Fat, but it also gets bopped by Focus Blast sets. Thick Fat Assault Vest Hariyama can work, but it doesn't have reliable recovery, so it can only switch in 2 or 3 times, but it has priority which can make Magmortar think twice about staying in to finish it off. The best defensive answer that I've come up with is Rest-Talk Sliggoo, which is probably underrated tbh, but it still seems kind of ridiculous that there is not a more reliable answer unless I'm missing something. The flaws of Magmortar are that is is weak to Stealth Rock, and its Life Orb recoil can wear it down too quickly if it predicts incorrectly too many times. Magmortar also has the ability to run Assault Vest sets and Choice Scarf, but I don't think these variants are broken because they lack the raw power that the Life Orb sets have.