1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[WIP] Mewtwo

Discussion in 'Ubers Analyses' started by KyogreF4N, Aug 17, 2016.

1. KyogreF4N

KyogreF4N Member

PO Trainer Name:
    KyogreF4N
    MEWTWO

[​IMG]
    Overview :

Mewtwo is and has always been a great threat through all gens, according to its amazing 154 base stat in Special Attack and 130 in Speed, allowing it to be faster than most of the pokemons of the tier. Moreover, it has a great movepool that threaten almost every single pokemon of the tier, and Gen 6 brought it 2 Mega-Evolutions that make it even more unpredictable at round 1.
    Its main flaws are its weakness to powerful priority moves such as Shadow Sneak and Sucker Punch, and it also does not appreciate ExtremSpeed. It also suffers a lot from status move especially Thunder Wave. Let’s see more in depth the best Mewtwo’s set in ORAS !

Life Orb Set :

Mewtwo @ Life Orb
    Ability: Pressure
    EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Psystrike
    - Ice Beam
    - Fire Blast / Focus Blast
    - Taunt / Calm Mind / Recover / 4th attacking move
    This set is pretty simple to use, you send him after a kill or on a resisting move from the opponent and you hit hard back. Psystrike is your STAB, it deals great damage to any non-resisting poke / low defense ones. Ice Beam is mandatory to hit Yveltal and Giratina-O on the switch, as well as Mega Salamence and Rayquaza. The choice between Fire Blast and Focus Blast depends on what do you prefer to hit : Fire Blast strikes Bronzong, Aegislash, Klefki and Ferrothorn super hard, while Focus Blast 0hkoes Darkrai and quite possibly ExtremeKiller after rocks. The last move depends on what do you want Mewtwo to do, Taunt deals with stall and prevents from status move which can be very annoying to Mewtwo, Calm Mind gives great power and adds some welcome specially defensive bulk, recover for more longevity or a last move like Grass Knot, Fire Blast or Focus Blast (depends on which you choosed), and so many other options that you can choose in amazing Mewtwo’s movepool.

252 SAtk Life Orb Mewtwo Psystrike vs. 248 HP / 72 Def Arceus-Fairy: 195-230 (44 - 51.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
    252 SAtk Life Orb Mewtwo Focus Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SDef Arceus: 330-390 (86.3 - 102%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Choice Scarf :

Mewtwo @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Pressure
    EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Psystrike
    - Ice Beam
    - Focus Blast
    - Grass Knot / Fire Blast / Thunder
    I know you may think “Is this guy serious ?? Scarftwo is gen 4 or 5 imo”, Scarftwo is still one of best revenge killer of the game. Its 591 speed (!) with Choice Scarf allow it to outspeed most of +2 Xerneas / Primal Groudon, +1 Mega Salamence / Rayquaza, and finish them off for the two first cases or 0hko them for the two dragons. Ice Beam revenge kills Ray and MMence easily, and deal almost half-life of Xerneas and Primal Groudon. When you know how threatening are these mons, having the ability to revenge kill them make Scarftwo a great option. Moreover, Focus Blast still 0hkoes Darkrai and deals a lot of damage to Arceus while living a hit from non-Life Orb one.

252 SAtk Mewtwo Psystrike vs. 136 HP / 28 Def Xerneas: 187-222 (43.7 - 51.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
    252 SAtk Mewtwo Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 104 HP / 8 SDef Primal Groudon: 161-190 (43.8 - 51.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
    +2 252+ Atk Arceus Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mewtwo: 295-348 (83.5 - 98.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    252 SAtk Mewtwo Focus Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SDef Arceus: 254-300 (66.4 - 78.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Team Options :

Stealth Rock users pair well with Mewtwo as you get many 2hko/0hkoes with them. For example, Deoxys-A or S are appreciated because they maintain offensive pressure on the opponent while setting rocks up. Pokemons that resist Dark, Ghost moves (+U-Turn) like Xerneas, Yveltal are good partners , such as physically bulky pokemons that can handle priority users (support Arceus forms are noticely appreciated). A Cleric or status absorber like Xerneas again or Resttalk pokemons (like Primal Kyogre) can also help Mewtwo staying healthy and keep sweeping.

Checks & Counters :

Mewtwo is really hard to counter thanks to its versatility and its ability to get Mega-Evolved. Though, some pokemons deserve to be highlighted as C&C.
    Yveltal is a good counter as it’s not affected by Mewtwo’s stab and it can 0hko back with Sucker Punch. It has to worry about Thunder / Ice Beam though, as it may often been KO'd on the switch.
    Arceus-Ghost is also a good option, especially the defensive set, as it is not hit super effectively by any move (except Shadow Ball), while Judgement hits Mewtwo super hard.
    Powerful priority users are good revenge killers, like ExtremeKiller, Giratina-O, Rayquaza….
    Aegislash is also a good counter if there’s no Fire Blast as it can Shadow Ball / Gyro Ball.
    Mega Sableye is a beast thanks to its typing, and if it’s not Mega’d yet it can spread status on it, which will shorten Mewtwo’s sweep.
    Status move will annoy a lot Mewtwo, as it needs its speed to keep pressure on the opponent. Toxic and Will-o-Wisp are more annoying on the Life Orb set rather than the Scarf set though.

Thanks for reading, hope it helped ! :)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  2. willdbeast

willdbeast All round nice guy

PO Trainer Name:
    willdbeast
    Really useful info on non-mega sets that I wouldn't normally consider and the advice on teammates is great and the calcs clearly demonstrate it's usefulness. I hope you're going to add some sets for the mega forms later?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
    KyogreF4N likes this.
  3. KyogreF4N

KyogreF4N Member

PO Trainer Name:
    KyogreF4N
    Thanks for your kind message wildbeast, i wanted to highlight Mewtwo's potential in this gen as i feel it's underrated ! I need more time & info on Mega forms to start writing something though :)

4. Spoovo The Pirate

Spoovo The Pirate Meep! Article Contributor Article Contributor

You're perfectly welcome to add info about the mega formes in this very analysis. It's simpler if they're all in the same place lol.

Doing pretty good so far. I'm not all that read up on Ubers, but what you have seems legit. The only qualms I have are this line:

"I know you may think “Is this guy serious ?? Scarftwo is gen 4 or 5 imo”, Scarftwo is still one of best revenge killer of the game." - Seems tacky as all hell imo.

And your format. PO uses HP/Atk/Def/SAtk/SDef/Spd.

But yeah. Those are the only things I can find. Good job, sir. :)

5. KyogreF4N

KyogreF4N Member

PO Trainer Name:
    KyogreF4N
    I think it will be too long if i had all the info on this thread, and others may want to do this as i'm not sure at all to have the time !

I wrote it because i felt like some guys would've laughed at me, while scarf2 is everything but to laugh at. It's a serious set.

Ima change the format right now :]

Thanks a lot ! :)

6. Spoovo The Pirate

Spoovo The Pirate Meep! Article Contributor Article Contributor

Nah, not at all. You've seen how pointlessly long the ones on Smogon are, huh? They're just walls of text half the time.

If anything, a longer analysis just shows you actually give a damn about it. Keep the reader interested, and you're good.

7. Mysterious M

Mysterious M Dream /\ Bigger

Nice work you did there. I think you should give a mention to Stalltwo as well (wisp defensive mewtwo). I dont know if either of stalltwo or scarf mewtwo can really put in any work in the Oras Metagame, but a mention is fine.

Also you have to make the language of the thread a bit more formal. "is this guy serious" etc, can not be shown in public.

I am not sure if you should present the Choice Scarf as a set, i would list it along with stalltwo in the "Other Sets" Section.
    You are more than free to write about MMY & MMX as well.

Tagging the rest of the QC (although ded af) - @Serga @cries in vain @Lacus Clyne @Idiotz.

*the tl told me we should kinda slow down those analyses cause gen7 is on its way, but i dont think anyone will be harmed by having Oras analyses.

Moony likes this.
  8. Serga

Serga 2easy

PO Trainer Name:
    Serga
    @Mysterious M send me a skype message next time, i didn"t get a notification

Mention choiced sets (specs may also be worth mentioning if u are mentioning scarf) on other options. Stall2 is useless, don't mention it. PGroudon, facade mence, HO being everywhere in general, and stall having mega sab make it suck. I wouldn't add recover / 4th coverage move in LO set, just mention them in other options. With this changes we end up with 1 set only, so you can add its mega evo's (1set each) if you have time.

Mysterious M likes this.
  9. KyogreF4N

KyogreF4N Member

PO Trainer Name:
    KyogreF4N
    Ok guys i notice what you said, @Mysterious M i did it informal because i find it funnier to read, but no problem i can change that.

I agree that stalltwo is nothing now

I thought about Specs set too, but it's definitely less useful than the two other sets, as the lock on one move makes Mewtwo lose all its versatility and become a mon to set up on. Moreover, i dont see what do you 0hko / 2hko that the LO set doesnt.

Mysterious M likes this.
  10. gengar17

gengar17 someone turn this nothing into gengar

252 SpA Mewtwo Electro Ball (80 BP) vs. 248 HP / 52 SpD Ho-Oh: 132-156 (31.8 - 37.5%) -- 87.8% chance to 3HKO
    252 SpA Mewtwo Psystrike vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Ho-Oh: 204-240 (49.1 - 57.8%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO

lol. couldnt even find electroball in the low ladder, even the noobs know better

Yttrium, moonwalker and NananaBatman like this.
  11. Annoying Orange

Annoying Orange sweet creature Server Moderator Social Media Rep Server Moderator Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    specs mewtwo has always been great. & usually people expect mega, unless you're running mewtwo + gengar/scizor