1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[WIP] Venusaur

Discussion in 'OU Analyses' started by Spoovo The Pirate, Sep 10, 2016.

1. Spoovo The Pirate

Spoovo The Pirate Meep! Article Contributor Article Contributor

[​IMG][​IMG]

This time for sure. B|

This here is Venusaur. Thanks to solid bulk and great typing, it's been an OU staple since the start of last generation, where its Hidden Ability Chlorophyll turned it into a deadly threat when the sun came out.

But that doesn't matter any more, because Drought got nerfed and Ninetales is barely more than a gimmick now thanks to Mega Charizard Y. What really matters is Venusaur's Big Fat Mega Evolution.

Yup, that's right. Venusaur's already respectable bulk and power get boosted even further, making it a real threat for both offensive and defensive teams. What's better, eating too many pokepuffs has given Mega Venusaur Thick Fat, which cancels out its Fire and Ice weaknesses. Its remaining two weaknesses, Flying and Psychic, are still relatively common in ORAS OU, but as long as you pack something to sponge those hits (A Steel-type maybe?), they're not a problem.

Venusaur also sports a solid support movepool, meaning it can fill several team niches simultaneously, and thus lessen the teambuilding headache. While it certainly has its problems, flexibility ain't one.

== Offensive ==

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
    Trait: Chlorophyll -> Thick Fat
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 SAtk / 8 SDef
    Modest nature

- Giga Drain
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Synthesis
    - Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Rock

By maxing out its HP and Special Attack, Mega Venusaur optimises its two best assets; bulk, and power.

Thanks to Thick Fat eliminating two of its weaknesses, it doesn't have to worry so much about getting hit hard either, and its solid base 122 Special Attack means it can usually hit the target just as hard, if not harder.

Giga Drain in slot 1 keeps Mega Venusaur healthy, and also deals hefty damage to anything not resisting it. Sludge Bomb 2 generally causes problems for things that do resist Giga Drain, and think they can switch in for free. This includes opposing Grass-types, as well as Pinsir, Talonflame, and various Fairy-types.

Synthesis in slot 3 is handy for keeping Venusaur healthy, while slot 4 contains a Hidden Power for coverage. Hidden Power Fire is solid for threatening problem pokemon like Scizor or Ferrothorn, who don't mind Giga Drain and don't care about Sludge Bomb, as well as any other Steel-type that isn't named Heatran, however Hidden Power Rock has a fun niche of its own. Combined with Chlorophyll as the default ability, Venusaur can use its doubled Speed to get the surprise kill on Mega Charizard Y. If you really need it lured and removed, this is one of the best ways to do so.

Lastly, as previously mentioned, Chlorophyll is Venusaur's ability before mega evolving, because it will actually make a difference sometimes. It means that Venusaur can forgo mega evolution and perhaps take advantage of the sun while it's out. It isn't much, but it comes in useful sometimes.

== Defensive ==

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
    Trait: Chlorophyll
    EVs: 248 HP / 124 Def / 136 SDef
    Relaxed nature

- Giga Drain
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Synthesis / Sleep Powder
    - Knock Off / Hidden Power Fire / Leech Seed

This set focuses more on bulk than power, and employs Mega Venusaur more for sponging hits than firing them back so readily.

It's no offensive slouch, however! Even uninvested, offensive bases of 100 and 122 are able to hurt things. Giga Drain and Sludge Bomb serve the same purposes as last time. Synthesis keeps Venusaur healthy once again, however Sleep Powder is a fun way of incapacitating a check. If you find yourself never using Synthesis, feel free to give Sleep Powder a shot.

Slot 4 has a couple more newcomers, namely Knock Off and Leech Seed. The former deals reasonable damage to those holding an item, and strips the target of said item, giving insight into their strategy. Leech Seed however harms anything that isn't a Grass-type, and drains their HP away every turn, keeping Venusaur healthy and putting immense pressure on the opponent. They can either switch out and give Venusaur a free turn, or stay in and try to kill it, where they will inevitably lose a lot of HP in the meantime. If neither of the new choices appeal, Hidden Power Fire is perfectly viable once again for silencing Scizor, Ferrothorn and other Steel-types.

The given EVs allow Mega Venusaur to tank a Life Orb Psychic from Alakazam, and then neuter it with Knock Off for a clean OHKO. Everything else is poured into Defence for optimal bulk, and a Relaxed nature is chosen instead of Bold so that Knock Off's power doesn't suffer. There's nothing in the Speed tier that is worth outrunning anyway, so what's the harm?

== Other Options ==

Earthquake is a viable alternative to what's already listed, because it silences Heatran and also threatens the many other Fire-types that would be tempted to switch in on Venusaur. Other Hidden Power types can be used if you really need to nail a specific threat, for example Hidden Power Ice can be used against Gliscor, Dragonite, Landorus and others if needed.

Energy Ball and Leaf Storm are alternate Grass STABs. Energy Ball packs more of a punch than Giga Drain, and carries a handy chance of lowering the target's Special Defence, however it doesn't drain HP, while Leaf Storm is almost twice as powerful as Giga Drain, but halves Venusaur's Special Attack after usage, and thus would force it out again. Both are good moves in the right situation, but using them over Giga Drain is rarely a good idea.

Aromatherapy exists in Venusaur's movepool, and it can function as a cleric if you're pushed for teamslots. Roar can be used for shuffling the opponent's team around and racking up hazard damage. Venusaur is also capable of functioning without its mega stone, but defensive sets are generally outclassed by Amoonguss thanks to Regenerator, and Chlorophyll sets are barely viable any more, what with Sun getting severely nerfed.

Physical moves like Power Whip seem like a good idea initially, but Venusaur is quite prone to burns, as it likes to switch in on things like Keldeo and Rotom-W, who often throw Scald and Will-o-Wisp around. So maybe not...

== Checks and Counters ==

Thick Fat really went a long way for reducing Mega Venusaur's true counters, however it is far from infallible. Talonflame remains one of the best initial switch-ins, taking barely anything from Giga Drain, and pummelling Venusaur with its trademark Brave Bird. Talonflame won't take a Sludge Bomb well at all though, so be careful.

If Venusaur lacks Hidden Power Fire, consider Skarmory, Ferrothorn and (Mega) Scizor all decent answers. Sleep Powder exists, but Ferrothorn is immune to it, and Skarmory can Taunt Mega Venusaur to prevent it, so it's not always wise. Once in safely, all three can keep Mega Venusaur at bay fairly easily. Ferrothorn can't easily damage it, but Venusaur can't do a damn thing to it, while Skarmory can use Taunt and Brave Bird to wear it down, and Scizor can simply set up Swords Dances and Bug Bite Mega Venusaur to death. If Jirachi can switch in safely, it can set up a Substitute to avoid the fairly common Sleep Powder or Leech Seed, and then either set up Calm Minds on it, or flinch it to death with Iron Head or Heart Stamp.

Ironially, Heatran is not the best Steel-type answer to Mega Venusaur, disliking Leech Seed, Sleep Powder or Knock Off, and hating Earthquake, but in a one on one, it can expect to do fairly well against most sets with just its Fire STAB alone.

As long as it doesn't switch directly into a Leech Seed, defensive Gliscor can irritate Venusaur until the end of time. Pinsir can switch in on Grass STABs, and then decimate Mega Venusaur upon Mega Evolving with its insanely powerful Aerilate boosted Return, which can OHKO Max/Max Bold Mega Venusaur.

Bulky Dragons like Dragonite, Latios and Latias can trouble Mega Venusaur as long as they can avoid being put to sleep. Being poisoned won't be fun either, but all of them have recovery, and can set up on Mega Venusaur quite easily.

...okay, looking good? It's a little different from the Smogon one, but in no bad way, as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  2. Joyverse

Joyverse Back for a blast!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    You can settle down things such as the wording later XV
    I could see Leaf Storm and/or maybe Energy Ball next to Drain in offensive ball. Though you have mentioned sleep powder, I highly suggest slotting it in the 4th slot in defensive. That's all 4 now!

3. Spoovo The Pirate

Yeah, my wording is a bit... odd. xD

As for Sleep Powder, I left it in the comments because sets are limited to three slashes per moveslot. The wiki can't handle a fourth sadly, and I write these based on the chance that they could get uploaded properly in the future. I can slash it after Synthesis if you want, as the comments say?

I'll have Energy Ball and Leaf Storm in OO, because Giga Drain just works better than either of them imo.

4. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Yeah, you very well do that.
    Energy Ball and storm in OO? OK i guess.

5. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Jirachi yeah, but I am not sure about Megagross. As Jirachi can switch into HP Fire even and flinch the daylight out of Venu. But Megagross is risky as it doesn't run sub very often,n lacks recovery outside rest. Also let's not forgot sleep for both.

6. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Me:Lemme switch mah mgross into venu! :3
    Opp:go 2 sleep fgt *powders*
    Me:bs.
    tl;dr Don't wanna risk getting a status on mgross unless there's a cleric so xd. BTW spoovo, put chlorosaur on OO pls.

7. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Uh, Mega Gyara is never a switch-in. +1 Jolly 2HKOs with Ice Fang (it's one of my fav megas jsyk) but it can't setup on Venu w/o risking a status or KO with giga drain. Kyu-B checks it fine I guess but most mixed kyubs run naive so welp to sbomb. Fk clcs.

prof.dragonite likes this.
  8. Spoovo The Pirate

Jirachi seems like a wise addition to C+C, I'll get that done. And I'll make the mention of Chlorophyll stronger, Joy.

Joyverse likes this.