1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

We were hacked!

Discussion in 'News' started by Steve, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Steve

Steve Active Member Administrator Server Owner Administrator Server Owner

On 19th September around 3AM GMT, the Pokemon Online website was hacked. The hacker appeared to have gained access to one of our administrators accounts. This could have been due to the Pokemon Showdown! hack that happened a few days ago. The same hacker stole a database dump from Showdown, which included password hashes.
    Everything has been restored and is now back to normal. Unfortunately we may have lost a couple hours worth of posts.

We are doing the following to prevent this happening in the future:

1. Our websites software has been updated to the latest version to fix security holes.
    2. Administrators must set a password that has never been used elsewhere.

Although there are no signs that the hacker has taken a database dump, and I'm 99% sure he hasn't, it is highly recommended that you change your password immediately to prevent unauthorized account access.

Please accept our apologises for this inconvenience.

2. Fuzzysqurl

Fuzzysqurl baa baa mareep I do what I want Server Owner Developer I do what I want Server Owner Developer

In the transition to the new forum, a few things no longer display or function correctly. This post will serve as a "Known" issue list.

All Themes
    • The button between Preview and More Options below a post is just a white square for certain people. It's to upload attachments. The white square is the good version.
    • Automatic merging of double posts displays the original post still until you refresh
    PO Theme
    • none reported
    PO Modern / Dark
    • none reported

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
    moonwalker, Zoroark, Joyverse and 3 others like this.
  3. Annoying Orange

Annoying Orange sweet creature Server Moderator Social Media Rep Server Moderator Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    I want to thank you & everyone who helped for the time and effort of not only getting everything fixed, but dealing with the outrage it caused on the server. Thanks so much!~

La.Melle2402 likes this.
  4. Professor Oak

Professor Oak same Forum Administrator Server Owner Social Media Rep Forum Administrator Server Owner Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Professor Oak
    Two Factor Verification is now fixed and fully functional. Thanks to Steve for resolving the issue!

Zoroark and Joyverse like this.
  5. Xerxes Break

Xerxes Break Yes~ I'm a man that likes Purple and lollipops~

PO Trainer Name:
    Tomoe Ayakashi
    Do you possibly know who and how they hacked? And why they would hack Poke'mon webpages/webcites? doesent make much scence... To me, its a bunch of balona.... Hackers should be hacking AJ and stupid webcites like that. I'm just saying... Like really... HACK MU FACE HACKERS...... If your reading this at the most.[​IMG]And this picture is not saying im stalking. its saying im on this webcite reading every thing every 24 hours to 247. thanks pokemon.

Attached Files:

6. Professor Oak

Professor Oak same Forum Administrator Server Owner Social Media Rep Forum Administrator Server Owner Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Professor Oak
    We are aware of how it happened and have rectified the issue.

7. Xerxes Break

PO Trainer Name:
    Tomoe Ayakashi
    Are you going to update the webcites security? Or just leave it the way it is? Who really is this person... Any data files on them or such and such??? Is our Poke'mon teams on Poke'mon battle sim. and data on this webcite safe? Maybe a data log should be kept if these hacks get frequent. Thanks Poke'mon.

--- Post updated ---
    Will you update this webpages security? If not and these hacks get frequent please do and you should start a data log about these hack attacks and the data or what ever is stolen. Thanks again Poke'mon.

8. Professor Oak

PO Trainer Name:
    Professor Oak
    The security has already been updated. No data from the server was taken. You only registered your forum account yesterday, so you have no need to worry about your forum data either.

You don't need to worry about it any further.

9. Xerxes Break

PO Trainer Name:
    Tomoe Ayakashi
    Ok, thank you for the configuration. Keepin' Poke'mon great. :pandaface: