1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Cloudflare Security Issue - Change Your Passwords!

Hello there, Guest!

Cloudflare, the internet proxy we use to protect ourselves against DDoS and other malicious attacks, reported on 23rd February 2017 that they had patched a bug reported by Google's Project Zero that was exposing sensitive information in random requests, approximately 0.00003% of all requests, since September 2016.

Whilst it is unlikely that any information has been leaked from this website, we recommend that all users change their passwords here on the Pokémon Online forums, as a precaution. Remember to use a unique and secure password for every site that requires one.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Dismiss Notice

Articles Suggestions & Interview Nominations

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Joyverse, Oct 16, 2016.

Moderators: E.T., Joyverse
  1. Joyverse

Joyverse Till the very end! Forum Moderator Articles Leader Forum Moderator Articles Leader

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    ARTICLES SUGGESTIONS AND DISCUSSIONS THREAD
    Welcome to the Articles Subforum's suggestions and discussion thread.
    Got a new idea for an article? Wanna nominate people for player interviews? Wanna discuss potential changes in certain articles' formatting? Wanna talk about anything involving this subforum? Here's the place. Have fun discussing!​

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2017
  2. Joyverse

Joyverse Till the very end! Forum Moderator Articles Leader Forum Moderator Articles Leader

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Locking thread for the time being. Will unlock this once we are done with contributor signups.

Joyverse edit: Unlocking. It is open for discussion! '-')/

Update: So, I was thinking, if the Pokemon of the Week title should have a catchy subtitle to go with it. Something like:-
    PoTW #01 - Roaring Blaze - Pyroar
    or...
    PoTW #01 - Hear My Roar! - Pyroar

You know, just for flavour. Opinions?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  3. Annoying Orange

Annoying Orange You were just a reckless child... Social Media Rep Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    The Original Sun Lion

4. Spoovo The Pirate

Spoovo The Pirate Meep! Article Contributor Article Contributor

Catchy pun things work with me. Puns are my third language, after butchered English and sarcasm.

To consider more stuff, how about some kinda thing about moves themselves?

The old wiki had one, discussing the mechanics of said move, its competitive value, etc.

Or a grading system? *shrug*

Annoying Orange likes this.
  5. prof.dragonite

prof.dragonite Beware the Ides of March!

PO Trainer Name:
    prof.dragonite
    Mufasa's Wrath. Period.

6. E.T.

E.T. Proud Member Tier Leader Server Administrator Articles Leader Tier Leader Server Administrator Articles Leader

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    One issue I have with this is title length. Currently we already have something like "Pokémon of the Week: NU - Pyroar". "Pokémon of the Week: NU - Hear My Roar! - Pyroar" seems way too long, and I don't think we should use PotW in the release title because, at least for now, it is probably not apparent what that means to the average reader.

I wouldn't have a problem with implementing something like this if enough people want it, but I don't see these being added as a requirement for the title format, and I would prefer that the article titles be consistent.

7. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Coming to the point of long titles. Mysterious M had a problem with his thread. The question stands: How do avoid long titles or how to implement long titles?
    I posted this here cause community input would come in handy.

8. E.T.

E.T. Proud Member Tier Leader Server Administrator Articles Leader Tier Leader Server Administrator Articles Leader

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    My initial concern with having an article about a specific move is coming up with enough content to write an article. If this isn't a problem though, it might be plausible.

Yea, I was going to address this later, but for Core of the Week, it might be better to only include the tier rather than the tier and the core.

Spoovo The Pirate likes this.
  9. Xdevo

Xdevo The bear was upon Tom Tiering Administrator Tour Director Tiering Administrator Tour Director

I don't think the "pun" names are a good idea (they're not even fucking puns since, ya know, they're not at all funny or humorous)

Sobi and Joyverse like this.
  10. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    While I don't know about damaging moves specifically. Certain non damaging moves like say, Quiver Dance or heck, even Spore can be showcased by showing the pokemon in their respective tiers with their sets, how they are used, what makes the combination of the move+that pokemon worth using, pros, cons etc. It would be a long article. I am claiming Quiver Dance if we are ever going to do this in the future.

While I am looking for potentially catchy subtitles. I am downright against unfunny pun names or anything like that lol.

While I am also looking for consistency. I still think that acronyms and for that matter subtitles might be worth the risk. If we do use short forms like PoTW, Cstu, or CoTW, we can simply write down the extended title in the starting of the OP. Though I can still understand your concern. That people might not read the article if they can't make out the title, but, there is always a but. With Social Media reps advertising each released article and with released articles being on the front page. It is much less of a problem as it seems. As with extending titles, that is sometime idk. I was merely talking of trying as much to shorten em.

11. pokemonnerd

pokemonnerd Only uso listens to pnerd. Devo too. Article Contributor Article Contributor

Those aren't requirements for puns though, they just have to play on different possible meanings of a word by making it sound like another word or words. They can be as cringeworthy as Okami's attempts to woo Lady Umb were. Though, that doesn't change that they're simply not puns, just titles attempting to be clever.

Anyway.

I've been thinking of an article we can do once in a while. Something like "the history of x throughout the generations." Basically, take a 1st or 2nd gen pokemon that used to have, or at least the chance to have, top billing in OU. Like Lapras, Tauros, even Snorlax would work since it went from pretty good choice in RBY OU the best legal pokemon in GSC to a very solid UU choice now. Then just go through the generations explaining each change and additions to the available pool of usable pokemon that made said pokemon either unviable in OU or simply outclassed by other options.

Each article would focus on 1 pokemon and wouldn't have to be long. You could have a quick, witty as you can muster(or bland and informative if that's your preferred writing style, either works) opening followed by a brief synopsis of why the pokemon was initially great, then slowly descended into mediocrity or unusability.

Stealth Rock can generate an article on its own with the amount of impact it hit the game with. Competitive pokemon was never the same once it existed.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
    E.T. likes this.
  12. E.T.

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    I like this idea, and I think it has the potential to be an interesting series. Gengar, Starmie, Alakazam, Zapdos, Chansey, Exeggutor (especially after we see how the Alolan forme does), and many more could also be potential candidates.

While on the topic of historical or retrospective stuff, I think a look back at the tiers of Gen 6 that discusses the evolution of the tiers throughout the generation could be interesting too. It could discuss various suspects that occurred, how the metagame changed after bans or tier shifts, etc.

13. Spoovo The Pirate

I was pretty much ready to suggest the 'X through the ages' thing myself. Even the likes of Persian and its falling from grace, or the rise of Azumarill, etc. (is gen 2 old enough?)

I also believe that metagame defining moves, Scald, Knock Off etc, could write a full article by themselves.

Maybe lesser influential moves, such as Flamethrower, Thunderbolt, Surf and Ice Beam, could all be grouped together as one article? *shrug*

Or move combinations like EdgeQuake?

14. Spoovo The Pirate

Also, sorry to double post, but what's deciding what Pokémon go up for PotW?

Is it just what gets written first? Or what's prominent in the given tier at the time?

Basically, I'm asking if I can write a Furret PotW any time soon. :3

15. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Eh, while I was trying to stick to the current gen. It is possible have multiple variants for such articles. Some dealing with the current gen. Some dealing with all the gens together. Either way, the idea seems pretty fine to me. While Flamethrower and the others mention are not that of a lesser influence. I think it'd be better if don't have articles for them. Also apart from that. Imma do the article on Quiver Dance. And I am assuming Pnerd gonna do SR. Either way E.T. or Aurist whoever be reading please approve :v

I like this idea, we can potentially write about Skarmory and Tyranitar from GSC all the way to gen6/7 and Pokemon like Salamence from gen 3 and so on..

It's a tad too niche to be in the PoTW even as a NU mon. I don't see it beimg used even. It's a no from me.

16. Spoovo The Pirate

Ahh, so it needs to be somewhat prominent in the tier to qualify. Thought that might have been the case.

Ah well, tis a shame

17. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    You said that yourself, now stick to it lol. :3

18. E.T.

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    Approve of the move article. I don't think these need to be "strictly gen 6 stuff". If you want to discuss how the move functioned in previous generations as a sort of background, that seems like a nice addition to me. It would probably be better if it didn't focus completely on old gen mechanics though. I think it would be better to focus on one move per article so that you don't end up trying to go in too many directions at once. Any ideas for a naming convention or format?

Again, I approve of the Pokemon through the Generations (seem like a good title?) article. Tbh, we could have a series for this on gen 1 Pokemon alone, but I think it would be okay to include newer Pokemon as well. As a general rule, we probably shouldn't make an article about anything introduced after gen 3 because it would probably start to feel like a different article at that point due to not discussing enough generations.

I'll go ahead and add these to the list.

19. Spoovo The Pirate

Yeah, we probably do need something more punchy than 'move article'. That sounds like something you'd be doing to avoid a girl's father after you've 'spent the night' at her place, imo.

In another vein, this sorta thing could work for abilities and even hold items. Choice Band, Magic Guard, anyone?

20. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    "MOVE SHOWCASE" BADUM TSS!!
    We are showcasing a move after all so yeah, there we go. As for abilities/items, I am neutral on them both.

21. E.T.

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    I approve of the ability article idea. There's a ton of content that could be created from this, and Gen 7 is only going to introduce more.

Chlorophyll, Contrary, Desolate Land, Drizzle, Drought, Flash Fire, Gale Wings, Guts, Huge Power, Hustle, Intimidate, Levitate, Magic Bounce, Magic Guard, Mold Breaker, Moxie, Natural Cure, No Guard, Pixilate, Prankster, Pressure, Primordial Sea, Protean, Regenerator, Sand Rush, Sand Stream, Sap Sipper, Scrappy, Serene Grace, Shadow Tag, Sheer Force, Skill Link, Snow Warning, Speed Boost, Stance Change, Sturdy, Technician, Thick Fat, Tinted Lens, Trace, Unaware, Unburden, Water Absorb

This isn't everything, but all of these should be potential candidates for article topics.

I approve of the hold item articles too. Hold item articles have some potential as well, and it would probably be okay to group certain items together.

Mega Stones, Air Balloon, Assault Vest, Berries, Berry Juice, Black Sludge, Choice Band, Choice Scarf, Choice Specs, Damp Rock, Eject Button, Eviolite, Expert Belt, Flame Orb, Focus Sash, Heat Rock, Leftovers, Life Orb, Rocky Helmet, Scope Lens, Toxic Orb, Weakness Policy

Spoovo The Pirate likes this.
  22. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Time for some questions.

How many of you started playing SuMo?
    Should we probably do a walkthrough on it? With Biweekly updates or such?
    If so, Who's interested in doin' it?

In other News: PoTW to be renamed as Pokemon Profiles or Pokemon Spotlight.

23. Spoovo The Pirate

*raises hand*

Could certainly give it a go?

I doubt we'll get noticed over the 384828 other sites doing walkthroughs, but hey

24. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Nice, what I was planning to do was create a big thread that starts with some intro to SuMo. And then, keep updating that thread with the walkthru parts under spoilers cuz well..
    Trying to figure out whether we should review it normally or not.

25. Spoovo The Pirate

Well, it'll obviously need grammar checks and crap, but sectioning it out evenly would be an interesting challenge.

Would walkthroughs of older versions also be a viable thing? They could all be collated together or something

26. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    People would still look over Psypokes or Serebii for old walkthroughs. Maybe having a new SuMo walkthrough might just give us a viewer boost?
    Smogon already generates a lotta articles on FB. We could prolly do something unique to have an egde.

27. Spoovo The Pirate

Well Smogon are generally close minded and super serious about their articles, unless it's about something already stupid, i.e. Spinda.

So we could take a lighter, more humour based approach, like PNerd's Snorlax article?

28. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Yeah, walkthroughs with a bit of a giggle here and there is fine. Not sure if making it too light in approach would be worth it though. But, what if it ends up a joke walkthrough?

29. Spoovo The Pirate

That's what we've got feedback for. People can say if it's getting too jokey. *shrug*

30. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    You shrug too much lmfao.

So E.T. and I were on the subject of consistency in articles. PoTW is turning out to be a misnomer of sorts. I decided that we change its name to either Pokemon Spotlight or Pokemon Profiles. If you guys have any suggestions then be sure to drop em in.
    I might do a poll on the suggested names soon..

31. Sobi

Sobi To be loved is a strength. To love is a weakness. Article Contributor Article Contributor

PO Trainer Name:
    Sobi
    Featured Pokemon: _______ perhaps?

32. Spoovo The Pirate

Maybe Spotlight on [Insert pokemon here]?

And yes, I do shrug a lot. I'm a very neutral person. :3

33. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    After discussing with E.T., PoTW is now Pokemon Spotlight after we both decided on it being the best choice. Thanks for your suggestions though. I just didn't get enough options for a poll.

Also s/o @Annoying Orange for the updated banner!

34. Sobi

Sobi To be loved is a strength. To love is a weakness. Article Contributor Article Contributor

PO Trainer Name:
    Sobi
    sobedit: this was in wrong thread so I moved it

What are your opinions on a "Rate-a-Pokémon" article series? It's basically where each article focuses on a Pokémon, and the writers have to discuss / rate that Pokémon's design/competitive use/etc. It would be a collab-article, ie: having multiple writers that write a paragraph on the Pokémon and then that compiled to form the overall article.

I have no problem with organising it and writing for it.

Joyverse likes this.
  35. Spoovo The Pirate

I can see that working. It'd highlight different opinions on several aspects, as well as insight into varying battle styles and stuff. Hell, you wouldn't need to specify one of the top tier 'mons either, meaning you could write it about dumb things like Relicanth, or things that are all but pointless in competitive play, like Darm-Z.

EDIT: It's also worth noting that it doesn't have to be restricted to solely Pokemon. Hold items, abilities, Psychic-types in general, etc., even stuff that doesn't really factor into competitive, such as Ecruteak City or Team Magma, or who would win in a fight, _____ or _____?

The possibilities are endless here really.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  36. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    I like the idea. It should be on Gen 7 Pokemon as of now. Also not just talking about competitive ability but factors like design, flavour and such would be something I like.
    Another suggestion would be to post the thread in the main part of the forum to possibly drive in more activity, though AR seems just fine.

Approving
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  37. Spoovo The Pirate

Seems fair. Might be able to draw in some more punters volunteers to help with the articles themselves.

How're we gonna decide what the first one'll be though? Poll?

38. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Check the hidden shrine and guide yourself.
    Seriously though, you guys are kinda bad in keeping secrets! :v

39. pokemonnerd

pokemonnerd Only uso listens to pnerd. Devo too. Article Contributor Article Contributor

I've been moderately busy the past few days but is SM on PO yet? Because with its implementation coming soon if it is not, some general competitive guides might be useful. Something non-specific, like a quick run down of what each play style is and how to build it, or how to put together a well made team in general.

Nothing super focused on one thing in particular, but something to help a beginner that might stumble onto the site.

40. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Yeah, SM hasn't been implemented yet. :/
    I like the idea tbrh, we could probably discuss notable new threats in the SM metagames and how they fit in certain playstyles, standard cores and stuff like that.
    You could start a new skeleton if you want to js.

Moderators: E.T., Joyverse