1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

Pokemon Sun and Moon - Official Game Discussion

Discussion in 'Pokémon Chat' started by Professor Oak, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Professor Oak

Professor Oak same Forum Administrator Server Owner Social Media Rep Forum Administrator Server Owner Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Professor Oak
    Pokémon Sun and Moon are officially out!

As I type this, the games are only out in Australia, with Asia getting the games very soon.

What do you think of the game? Have you got any information you want to share on the game? Is it as good or as a bad as you thought? Discuss it here!

2. pokemonnerd

pokemonnerd Only uso listens to pnerd. Devo too. Article Contributor Article Contributor

So when me and a friend gets this we're going to blindly nuzlocke it until we die or win, and of course play through normally if we die. One of our rules is that grinding is allowed, however you can't level up past the first gym/totem challenge/island boss/whatever you call them now. Can someone give me the highest level among pokemon of the bosses as they come across them, without giving their typing or what they are? It would be much appreciated.

3. greymatter1234

greymatter1234 Trimmin' the tall grass.

PO Trainer Name:
    greymatter
    Hey y'all.
    Idk if anyone remembers me but I used to be an active player about a year back and then just logged in maybe once or twice throughout the last year, mostly busy with life. Still busy, as a matter of fact, but I just had to get on the forums when Sun and Moon got released. Trying out the mons to abuse the broken ones most before it gets banned and all gonna be fun, I guess.

I still don't have enough time on my hands to go through all the changes myself, so can someone brief me on the most significant changes (like nerfs/boosts to past pokemon, abilities & moves), some of the stand-out ones from the new Pokemon pool and of course, how Z moves and Alola forms would factor into our competitive battles.

4. Fuzzysqurl

Fuzzysqurl baa baa mareep I do what I want Server Owner Developer I do what I want Server Owner Developer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Joyverse and Sasuke Uchiha like this.
  5. Sasuke Uchiha

Sasuke Uchiha God of tits and wine

PO Trainer Name:
    Yellan
    [​IMG]

6. Joyverse

Joyverse Back for a blast!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Well it isn't Pokemon S&M for nothing.

7. pokemonnerd

pokemonnerd Only uso listens to pnerd. Devo too. Article Contributor Article Contributor

So does anyone want to talk about how bleak the pokedex is this generation? I mean when you really think about them a lot of past entries have been dark when considering their implications but this one is just going all out with it.

I mean it could be because of the rotom in the dex but geez.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
  8. Sasuke Uchiha

Sasuke Uchiha God of tits and wine

PO Trainer Name:
    Yellan
    This is the dex entry for Oricorio's electric form: "This Oricorio has sipped bright yellow nectar. Its bright, cheerful dance melts the hearts of its enemies." I wonder if we're supposed to take this literally o.o
    Actually almost all of Orcirio's entries are pretty gruesome.

9. E.T.

E.T. Random Slowpoke Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    I like that the entries now pop up automatically after every new Pokemon you obtain, as opposed to only after captures. I think the Rotom has grown on me slightly, but it has a tendency to be annoying most of the time, especially when it tries to give you advice of what to do next when it should be blatantly obvious.

I like how the Pokedex can show you specific patches of grass on the map where you can find things. I miss the DexNav from ORAS, but I acknowledge that it isn't really necessary if you search for the location. The only issues are Pokemon that you haven't seen or some of the S.O.S. stuff. The weather-based S.O.S. Pokemon are probably too well hidden, imo.

As far as the content of the Pokedex entries, I think they've always been like this. Raichu's entry from FireRed says "Its electric charges can reach even 100,000 volts. Careless contact can cause even an Indian elephant to faint." Of course, Indian elephants probably don't even exist in the Pokemon world, so the Pokedex entries are subject to a bit of BS here and there as well. I think the key difference is that the game forces you to view the Pokedex for everything in Generation 7, so these kinds of things stand out more.

10. Professor Oak

Professor Oak same Forum Administrator Server Owner Social Media Rep Forum Administrator Server Owner Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Professor Oak
    I CANNOT GET A GODDAMNED HAPPINY TO SPAWN IN AN SOS BATTLE ASDFDWESDF

The SOS mechanics overall are a bit annoying, especially in Wela Volcano Park where Magby fuck you over with Fire Spin + Smokescreen. Ugh.

The above Pokédex changes are ok, but I'd like an option to disable them popping up, for time-saving purposes.

Also STOP HOLDING MY GODDAMN HAND GAME FREAK. Just let me explore the bloody island freely. If I die to strong stuff, that's my fault. You've got numbered routes, you've got NPCs guiding the way through conversation, you've got the Rotom Dex directing you to your next objective. You should stop here. Instead, you block routes or even parts of routes just to force people to follow the story you want to tell. Just prevent people from visiting the next island until they've beaten the current island's trials, and that would suffice. I think Sun and Moon would be a ton more enjoyable if they did this single change.

Also Grubbin / Charjabug are both absolutely amazing in-game Pokémon. They basically replaced my starter almost immediately. Can't wait to get Vikavolt.

11. Annoying Orange

Annoying Orange sweet creature Server Moderator Social Media Rep Server Moderator Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    I was never into 2d girls, but then Lillie decided to put her hair up.

also assuming the pokedex is bland because of rotom/chill environment of Alola

12. E.T.

E.T. Random Slowpoke Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    Sandile is another annoying S.O.S. Pokemon because it has Mud-Slap and Swagger, and for some reason, one Sandile will target the other Sandile with Swaggar. Not sure if it is just going for the Attack boost or just assisted suicide.

I can confirm that this game does a lot more hand-holding than the Pokemon games usually do, and that is quite an accomplishment. Overall, I think it is a necessary evil at this point in the series because the games still have to be playable for people who are completely new to the series and thus easily overwhelmed (it's probably also why there's a ton of tutorial stuff). For Sun / Moon specifically, it is also important to note that the main game is heavily story driven, so that's probably another reason why they have to restrict your ability to explore.

13. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    The pokedex is dark and full of terror.
    http://www.dorkly.com/post/81404/20-super-dark-pokedex-entries-from-pokemon-sun-and-moon
    I blame Rotom. But tbh, I am loving the pinch of darkness added in. GF is finally up to gear that the world is a dark place.

--- Post updated ---
    People in pogeymanz probably realised the drawbacks of mega evolution between the XY and SuMo timelines and banned them in legal tours a.k.a VGC. Moar dark for y'all! v

http://kotaku.com/pokemon-sun-and-moon-pokedex-entries-get-pretty-dark-1788760230

14. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
  15. Joeypals!!

Joeypals!! Don't you worry 'bout a thing~

PO Trainer Name:
    Joeypals
  16. Professor Oak

PO Trainer Name:
    Professor Oak
    ok so I officially hate SOS battles

not only did I end up getting stuck in a Smokescreen / Fire Spin loop where a bunch of Magby ended up killing my Wishiwashi that was 10 levels higher

but just now I got stuck in a battle to try and catch Passimian who spawned a Trumbeak practically every turn. Passimian refused to get in the ball when I could throw at him, and I eventually ran out of PP on my Golisopod and had to switch before it died, and it was 45 levels higher. To cap it off, none of the Trumbeak that spawned were shiny.

ugh

17. pokemonnerd

SOS battles are the bane of Nuzlockes. I nearly lost Munchlax due to constant Leers and Growls from Spearow on route 3.

Also why the FUCK did they think it was a solid idea to allow a goddamn SALAMENCE to be called by a bagon? On route 3?

18. Xdevo

Xdevo Phrasing Super Moderator Tour Director Super Moderator Tour Director

Who the fuck doesn't want a level 7 Salamence

Professor Oak, Joyverse and E.T. like this.
  19. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Bagon too weaf so it called its parent lmfao.

Come to think of it, my friend faced a pretty damn low-levelled Espeon in an Eevee SOS Battle (< lv.15). How does a SOS Battle even work?

20. E.T.

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    When the Pokemon is in low health, it can call for help, and another Pokemon usually spawns (sometimes no help arrives though). In most cases, the help is the same species as the Pokemon that called it, but there are several Pokemon that have a chance of calling different Pokemon. For example, Bagon can call other Bagon, Shelgon, or Salamence, and Eevee can call other Eevee, Espeon, or Umbreon. I think Tauros can call Miltank and vise versa. The odds of finding shinies is also increased in S.O.S. battles.

To fully utilize the S.O.S. mechanic, you can have something with False Swipe to get the Pokemon in red health, and you can use Adrenaline Orbs to increase the chance that the Pokemon will call for help. If the help isn't what you're looking for, you KO the help and wait for more help to arrive. Either Pokemon can call for help if they are left alone in low heatlh, so it doesn't have to be the same one each time. So far, I've only found a shiny Alolan Rattata while EV training (S.O.S. is handy for this too if you have the boosting items that give +8 per KO for a stat), but I haven't searched for shinies too much because I never find them when I'm actively looking for them.

One instance of S.O.S. that amused me was having a battle with a Dratini that could spawn Level 12 Dragonites. I guess now we know how Lance gets his Dragonites.

Joyverse likes this.
  21. Annoying Orange

Annoying Orange sweet creature Server Moderator Social Media Rep Server Moderator Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    [​IMG]

22. Professor Oak

PO Trainer Name:
    Professor Oak
    SOS Battles are also the only way of getting specific Pokémon. I've listed them below in the spoiler tag just in case you don't want to know.
    Sableye can only be found when a Carbink calls for an SOS battle inside a cave.
    Mareanie can only be found when a Corsola calls for an SOS battle, and even then it isn't guaranteed.
    There's also the "Weather SOS battles" for Gabite, Goomy, Vanillite and Castform, though I haven't encountered a single one of these bastards.

23. Annoying Orange

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    almost forgot this one too
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. gares

gares New Member

This game is cool

25. gares

gares New Member

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020