1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Cloudflare Security Issue - Change Your Passwords!

Hello there, Guest!

Cloudflare, the internet proxy we use to protect ourselves against DDoS and other malicious attacks, reported on 23rd February 2017 that they had patched a bug reported by Google's Project Zero that was exposing sensitive information in random requests, approximately 0.00003% of all requests, since September 2016.

Whilst it is unlikely that any information has been leaked from this website, we recommend that all users change their passwords here on the Pokémon Online forums, as a precaution. Remember to use a unique and secure password for every site that requires one.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Dismiss Notice

[Other] Side Metagames Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Gen 7 Side Metagames' started by sulcata, Nov 19, 2016.

Moderators: fsk
  1. sulcata

sulcata cory is #1 bae Tiering Administrator Server Administrator Tiering Administrator Server Administrator

Currently gen 7 is not yet running on the main server. Once it is we'll have Monotype, Monogen, 3v3 Singles, 1v1, and Middle Cup.

Additionally @TraceofLife will be in charge of Hackmons and Balanced Hackmons (and any variations thereof).

Tier lists will be edited in as time goes on. Monogen, 3v3 Singles, and 1v1 will likely start with OU's banlist, possibly Monotype as well.

http://pokemon-online.eu/threads/35084/
    Non-Hackmons metagames will likely use the initial OU banlists with possibly a few additions. They will be inheriting the same clauses which are inherited by Ubers, OU, LC, etc.
    Hackmons and Balanced Hackmons will have their own initial ban lists and clauses.

Consider this a place to ask simple questions and to keep track of the overall state of the side metagames.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
    Joyverse likes this.
  2. 9898

9898 New Member

Flying monotype is getting a great addition with Celesteela and Talonflame being unbanned.

Mono rock has a great special attacker now with Nihilego.

Expecting pheromosa to be quick banned from monotype

3. Joyverse

Joyverse Till the very end! Forum Moderator Articles Leader Forum Moderator Articles Leader

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Aye fren, fyi, Talonflame wasn't even suspected back in Gen6 in PO. However, while I may be underestimating it this gen, Talonflame might not stand out as much it did in the gen especially due to the nerf of Gale Wings. Celesteela however is an awesome addition.

Another Pokemon probably worth mentioning is Kartana is Grass. Grass has a received a worthy nukey Pokemon tbh. It might be even be suspected in the future, who knows?

As for Pheromosa, I am expecting the same.

Another few things I wanted to discuss here.

1. Hey @sulcata can I host an introductory Gen7 Monotype tour in here please? Perhaps you can help me by co-hosting as well?

2)Can we introduce Monotype Ubers this gen? You would obviously bring up the issue of a low playerbase. But it could definitely be worth having as an alternative to standard Monotype.

4. Veteran Padgett

Veteran Padgett Every Villain Is Lemons Developer Developer

PO Trainer Name:
    Veteran Padgett
    Even though there isn't an Inver trainer in gen 7, I think it would still be cool to have Inverted Battle as a side meta. If it's implemented should probably just have SM OU ban list + Eevium Z and Snorlax.

5. Annoying Orange

Annoying Orange You were just a reckless child... Social Media Rep Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    I want invert to stay and will gladly test to see whats broken or not this generation. I'd also love to see a monocolour return

6. Funbot28

Funbot28 Active Member

I pitched in the idea of a STABmons mets game lay generation and I find it would be perfect to add this gen.

7. Annoying Orange

Annoying Orange You were just a reckless child... Social Media Rep Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    metronome to stay too. finally get a tspike absorber in gengar + cursed body. also maybe allow normalium z because you can only use it on one pokemon and z metronome uses the z move for the move metronome picks. I think it's a good way to put some of the new things to use since no new pokemon got metronome.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    willdbeast likes this.
  8. sulcata

sulcata cory is #1 bae Tiering Administrator Server Administrator Tiering Administrator Server Administrator

Feel free @Joyverse. I'm not active enough to co-host though.

edit: no monotype ubers. probably no inverted, nobody played it last gen when it was a new thing. balanced play styles suffered quite a bit and made it a bit irritating to play, which in my opinion is why it did so poorly

also talonflame never was banned and probably never will be with the gale wings nerf and new mons.

9. チャンピオンワタル

チャンピオンワタル HYPER BEAM!

PO Trainer Name:
    【天龍神】 ワタル
    I would like SM Anything Goes to be added as a Side Metagame. Unlike in ORAS Anything Goes on Pokémon Online, I'd like SM Anything Goes to have Team Preview, like on Pokémon Showdown! (come to think of it, why did ORAS Anything Goes on Pokémon Online not have Team Preview anyway?).

Also, I would like to see Almost Any Ability added as a Side Metagame as well, albeit I feel that numerous bans and suspect tests would need to take place in order to make that metagame balanced (based on the current Smogon rules for that metagame).

Funbot28 likes this.
  10. fsk

fsk Kept hacking Tier Leader Server Moderator Tier Leader Server Moderator

PO Trainer Name:
    fsk
    ORAS Anything Goes had no clause at all, which was made in error, and so little serious players actually played this tier that the clause was fixed only a week ago, at the introduction of gen 7. Now ORAS Anything goes is replaced by SM Anything goes, with the correct clauses.

11. E.T.

E.T. Proud Member Tier Leader Server Administrator Articles Leader Tier Leader Server Administrator Articles Leader

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    @sulcata
    Now that Monotype and other side metagames are on the server, can we get proper discussion threads (unless everything is to be discussed here)? There have already been a few Pokemon brought up in the Monotype subforum tournament that may be worth looking into.

sulcata likes this.
  12. Joyverse

Joyverse Till the very end! Forum Moderator Articles Leader Forum Moderator Articles Leader

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    '-')/ Requesting permission to set up Monotype General thread.

13. Edna

Edna I'm like Cinderella with an umbrella Forum Moderator Article Contributor Forum Moderator Article Contributor

PO Trainer Name:
    Edna
    What we need to suspect in Monotype:

-Tapu Lele
    -Mega Metagross
    -Zard X/Y
    -Weathers
    -Zygardes( or just Thousand Arrows)

I would develop later but like we need to open suspect tests ( and get a TL for Mono too)

Funbot28 and Joyverse like this.
  14. Atli

Atli Time just fades the pages in my book of memories Forum Moderator Server Administrator Forum Moderator Server Administrator

PO Trainer Name:
    Atli
    Adding Genesect, Greninja (both formes), Kartana, Pheromosa and terrains to the above list, while Landorus should be reallowed as it got banned when the tier was formed for no real reason.

It would be nice if we could have a TL and an actual thread as soon as possible so we can get started with discussions and suspects in order to get a decent tier, because right now there are way too many broken things for it to actually be playable.

Joyverse and Edna like this.
  15. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    For weathers, I think we should just go by banning the turn-increasing rocks. And in a similar vein ban Terrain Extender. While I am not going towards any side atm. I still think we should possibly allow use of the weather inducing abilities.

I did mention banning Terrain Extender, as that with Psychic Surge is the root cause of having Lele banned IMO. I think we should probably suspect Lele instead of you know quick banning.

I still haven't got the chance to face / use -Zygardes with TArrows in Monotype, all I ask is is TArrows really have such a detrimental effect on the Monotype atm?

Agreeing with everything Atli mentioned.

16. Funbot28

Funbot28 Active Member

Yeh can agree that Tarrows does scew up many Ground MUs and really can be hard to deal with for types such as Steel, Fire and Electric mainly. Imo we should just ban the move but if that conflicts with Tiering philosophy then we can just ban the Zygardes.

17. Edna

Edna I'm like Cinderella with an umbrella Forum Moderator Article Contributor Forum Moderator Article Contributor

PO Trainer Name:
    Edna
    I mean we can ban TA without any issue the same way we can ban Baton Pass

At the moment Lele is very annoying as it boosts everything in Psy to an extent where Dark is your only solution, and even if it has Fairy Stab+ you can run Gallade to cripple Dark etc

Greninja is the same pain as usual, to be fair I belive Protean is better in mono as it allows you to gain stab for types you need to deal with. Battle bond is sure a great ability but Protean is just too useful

Terrain extender is also because of Koko+ Raichu-Alola, so it's not only Lele that causes issues, but if we ban Lele i'm not sure on how Terrain extender are unhealthy

I don't believe Zygardes with EQ are problematic, their usual walls would stay counters ( Skarmory, Zapdos Hp ice paired with a Dragon resist etc). Imo it's TA the issue

I would keep Genesect for more tests, as the most broken set would potentially be something like CB

I believe Zard Y to be unhealthy tbh, as it even lost counters with Gen 7 such as Talon that is now bad and Mega Altaria unreleased.

Volcarona is like godly atm, should be watched out

Pheromosa is like annoying because of coverage, but would generally have hard time vs Ghost ( not very common atm)

Landorus reallowed is fair for now, could end up being suspected seing how it has insane sheer power and coverage to work with.

But yeah let's not have a dead tier please.

Joyverse likes this.
  18. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Should probably ban it to possibly any issue with Koko+AloRai in the future. IMO.

I can agree on that. I suggest a suspect.

That too^

I see you missed Kartana. Kartana is a beast to have in Grass (Steel not so much). But having that in Grass basically makes Water unable to win which was already hard. Sacred Sword is enough of coverage against Steel especially (cuz lol no Aegi). While it has its checks in Skarmory, Celesteela and such. They are all very limited so...
    Suspect?

19. Edna

PO Trainer Name:
    Edna
    I don't know for Kartana, haven't found it problematic as it has several check and counters such as Venusaur ( poison in general tbh). Also Doublade is very viable in Monosteel, keep that in mind

20. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Psycho Cut exists. Also Night Slash also exists. Kartana can be tailored according to the team's needs. Call it 4MSS but that's what it is.

21. Edna

PO Trainer Name:
    Edna
    Kartana's issue is that it needs either a scarf or to set up a sd while being Timid to work. If it's scarfed it won't pass mons such as Toxapex/Drapion/Mega Venu and if it's SD it's risking being ohkoed by Special Attacks or being revenge killed by a scarf 110+
    It's a very good mon but to be honest I had to take it out from my teams because of the fact Monotype is going in a Bulky Offense build in general. Not saying it's a bad mon, it's A/A+ rank imo. It's not broken as Megagross which got buffed and it also has poor stabs ( Smart Strike is very average, Leaf Blade is ok as it helps dealing with Monowater and Monoground easier)
    But yeah technically, I would much rather Ferrothorn because Kartana gets smashed by any special attack, especially if you run Rain Offense, which Kartana can't deal with.

It could be suspect worthy, but in my experience Kartana hasn't been the worst of the tier.

Priority goes to Lele and Megagross.

We can also consider Hoopa-U some day, if it gets really unhealthy, but its average speed makes for it.

Moderators: fsk