1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SM Creative Movesets

Discussion in 'Gen 7 Discussion' started by Spoovo The Pirate, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Spoovo The Pirate

Spoovo The Pirate Meep! Article Contributor Article Contributor

Hey there everyone. Figured we needed one of these, seeing as Gen 7 is now playable. It'll be updated for specifically OU teams when later tiers are created, however that's not important right now.

This is a thread to discuss and share the sets you have been using for the Sun and Moon metagame. Whether a potential standard or viable gimmick, feel free to post your sets!

I'll get us started:

Decidueye @ Leftovers
    Trait: Overgrow (at least until Long Reach is released)
    EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SDef
    Careful nature

- Spirit Shackle
    - Defog
    - Roost
    - U-turn / Leaf Blade

A simple hazard control. Stealth Rock weakness isn't a thing thanks to Decidueye losing its Flying typing with evolution, however this does come with a newfound vulnerability to Spikes and Toxic Spikes.

A Careful nature makes the most of its reasonable Special bulk, while Roost is recovery, Defog is obvious, Spirit Shackle gives Decidueye some control over matchups (and also hits fairly hard), and U-turn is for scouting. If bulky waters are a problem, Leaf Blade is also a perfectly viable alternative to help wear them down.

Anyone else care to add?

Joyverse likes this.
  2. Joyverse

Joyverse Road Roller time!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    I was lolling around with a lot of broken mons but here are a few..

Kartana @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Beast Boost
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Leaf Blade
    - Night Slash / Smart Strike
    - Psycho Cut
    - Sacred Sword

Generally used as a Revenge Killer but it's also a potentially dangerous late game sweeper thanks to Beast Boost. Being able to outrun every common scarf user (Looking at you Keldeo and Terrakion). All you really need to do is to click the best move. Leaf Blade is the main STAB and it runs through many of the currently used mons when used correctly. Night Slash is generally preferred over the 2ndary STAB due it being able to hit Aegislash and Jirachi for SE damage on the switch. Smart Strike however is useful against the Tapu Bulu and Lele, as well blobs like Clefable. Psycho Cut deals heavy damage to Buzzwole, Pheromosa, Toxapex, Salazzle and any other fight/psych type that isn't neutral to it for that matter. Sacred Sword is for Ferrothorn, Heatran and the like.

Salazzle @ Life Orb / Shuca Berry / Passho Berry
    Ability: Oblivious
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Nasty Plot
    - Sludge Wave
    - Fire Blast
    - Hidden Power [Ground] / Hidden Power [Fighting]

HEY LOOK! I made a standard set! :D Maybe I did, maybe I didn't. I am not going to claim it anyway but here's how it works. Oblivious is the ability of choice as you can't be taunted and rid of your chance to setup NP. Sludge Wave and Fire Blast are there cause they will be hitting everything except Heatran, Chansey, and Toxapex hard. Hidden Power Ground takes care of Heatran and Toxapex both however Toxapex has to under 66% (IDR the standard spread, but this seems to be the sweet spot in all my ladder matches so putting it here) to be KO'd at +2. HP Fight additionally can be used as well as the IV drops aren't really a concern now thanks to Hyper Training. It takes care Air Balloon Tran and also plows down Tyranitar harder than a HP Ground. Did I forget to mention that she outruns Scarf TTar and Mag with that speed? Life Orb is the best item against it however Passho Berry can be used to have an easier time setting up versus Toxapex. And Shuca Berry is great against Heatran's Earth Power. It is a very great set that works very well in aggressive teams, especially in HOs. You should definitely try it! She looks shit but don't be fooled by her pheromones, she's a bomb!

3. Annoying Orange

Annoying Orange sweet creature Server Moderator Social Media Rep Server Moderator Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
    Ability: Electric Surge
    EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Naive Nature
    - Thunder
    - Dazzling Gleam
    - Brave Bird
    - Grass Knot

rain tapu, use with pelipper lead. Very simple set. You know what the first 2 moves are for. BB is for grass mon coverage ie venu/bulu. Grass knot is for your hippos

4. LittleRoot

LittleRoot Active Member

Manaphy @ Waterium Z
    Ability: Hydration
    Timid Nature
    - Rain Dance
    - Scald
    - Psychic/Ice Beam
    - Tail Glow
    Well Z-Rain dance gives +1 speed when it is used, It gives you free rain and Manaphy loves the rain. This makes Manaphy a perfect late game cleaner

5. Velvet Blood

Velvet Blood Well-Known Member

Pheromosa @ Life Orb
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
    Naive Nature
    - High Jump Kick
    - Ice beam
    - Poison Jab
    - U-Turn

A very op pokemon that will most likely get banned from ou. Ice beam is for mons like lando, thundurus, garchomp, etc.

Joyverse and DracoNova like this.
  6. La.Neptune

La.Neptune Active Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Lord Neptune
    Some of the sets i created/found..

Xurkitree @ Choice Scarf
    Modest Nature/Timid Nature
    - Volt Switch
    - Dazzling Gleam
    - Energy Ball
    - Thunderbolt
    Seriously this thing has 7 Less Sp.Att than MegaRay.Can be used as a Powerful Hit and Run thing.Its Moveset is somewhat restricted though.
    Dazzling gleam could be replaced by HP Ice .

Golisopod @ Assault Vest
    Ability: Emergency Exit
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
    Adamant Nature
    - First Impression /Swords Dance
    - Liquidation/Aqua Jet
    - Leech Life
    - Sucker Punch

It is a cool Pokemon with 70/145/90 Defenses.Using Assault Vest raises its potential to tank special attacks.With emergency exit Sucker Punch basically becomes a U-Turn under 50% HP.Its movepool is somewhat restricted but it could try a Swords Dance set with Aqua Jet too.

Kartana @ Life Orb
    Ability: Best Boost
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Attack / 252 Speed
    Jolly Nature
    - Swords Dance/Night Slash/X Scissor/Psycho Cut
    - Leaf Blade
    - Sacred Sword
    - Smart Strike

Celesteela @ Leftovers
    Modest Nature
    - Autotomize
    - Flamethrower
    - Flash Cannon
    - Air Slash/Energy Ball/HP Ground

With Beast Boost its Sp.Att would be raised if it gets a KO.Flamethrower to hit other steels.Now the 4th move really depend on you.HP Ground is the only option to deal some damage to Heatran.Energy ball could be used to hit water and Ground types or simply Air Slash for STAB

Would add more when I find them.

7. Aurist

Aurist I do not jump for joy. I frolic in doubt.

Xurkitree @ Assault Vest
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
    Modest Nature
    IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
    - Volt Switch
    - Thunderbolt
    - Dazzling Gleam
    - Hidden Power [Ground]

Great anti-meta set atm, slowish pivot with a ton of power. Who needs to run offensive sets anyway. HP Ground required to hurt stuff like Tapu Koko/Aegislash/Heatran/Marowak/etc so it runs Dazzling Gleam instead of HP Ice.

Joyverse likes this.
  8. Joyverse

Joyverse Road Roller time!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Eh, you can just go straight 0 IVs in attack without having to worry about changing HP type thanks to Hyper Training.

9. Spoovo The Pirate

Tapu Koko @ Zap Plate
    Trait: Electric Surge
    EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Naive nature

-Volt Switch
    -Wild Charge
    -Dazzling Gleam
    -Roost

Been having a lot of fun with this guy. People see no Lefties or Life Orb, and instantly think choiced, despite Koko's frailty. That's where the Zap Plate comes in. A free 20% power boost to half of its attacks, and the ability to switch moves too.

Now, it's obviously cockblocked by Venusaur, Alolan Marowak and especially Excadrill, but it's still really damn fun to use. Not sure if I should replace Roost, however.

10. Professor Oak

Professor Oak Pimp Hand Strong Forum Administrator Server Owner Social Media Rep Forum Administrator Server Owner Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Professor Oak
    I'd say using Electrium Z would be best. This will not show up until you use the Z-move, and it gives you a 1-time nuke to help get past potential checks. Without Electrium Z, you just instantly lose to Chansey. With Electrium Z, Wild Charge followed by Gigavolt Havoc will always KO all standard Chansey (only potentially missing out on those that run 252 HP / 252 Def, aka those that are crap). You can also guarantee that you get past Clefable, which is nice.

Even with that change, I still think that set wouldn't really work as well as you expect. You mentioned that Venusaur, Alolan Marowak and Excadrill beat you, but almost every bulky Ground-type beats you, as do various other Pokémon:
    252 SpA Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 112 SpD Hippowdon: 120-142 (28.5 - 33.8%) -- 97.4% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
    252 SpA Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 244 HP / 200+ SpD Gliscor: 96-114 (27.2 - 32.3%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
    252 SpA Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 68-81 (19.3 - 23%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery
    252 SpA Tapu Koko Gigavolt Havoc vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 139-164 (39.4 - 46.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
    252 SpA Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Quagsire: 150-177 (38 - 44.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
    252 SpA Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Landorus-Therian: 127-150 (33.3 - 39.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
    252 SpA Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Bulu: 109-130 (38.7 - 46.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (idk the most common Bulu, but that's the best you can do outside of Gigavolt Havoc, which does 80% to 0 HP / 0 SpD)
    252 SpA Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 200 HP / 252+ SpD Zygarde: 158-188 (38.8 - 46.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery (it's super effective my arse)
    4 Atk Tapu Koko Wild Charge vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Magearna: 145-172 (39.9 - 47.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (Zap Plate turns this into a ~92% chance to 2HKO, but is still a worse item)
    4 Atk Tapu Koko Gigavolt Havoc vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Magearna: 298-352 (82 - 96.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Physical)
    252 SpA Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 128 HP / 0 SpD Magnezone: 97-115 (30.9 - 36.7%) -- 71.9% chance to 3HKO
    252 SpA Tapu Koko Gigavolt Havoc vs. 128 HP / 0 SpD Magnezone: 199-234 (63.5 - 74.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Special)
    and probably a few more that I cba mentioning.

And yes, all of those calcs are assuming that Electric Terrain is active.

at least you still beat Mantine, Pelipper and a bunch of other Water-types!

I'd just run Life Orb Mixed if you wanted a Mixed one really. Thunderbolt / Grass Knot / Brave Bird / Dazzling Gleam or HP Fire/Ice/Ground or Roost with the same EVs you have now. It 2HKOs bulky Venusaur, 2HKOs Tapu Bulu, and usually 2HKOs Alolan Marowak after Stealth Rock with Brave Bird, and lets you actually beat Ground-types if you use the right move to hit them. Excadrill still fucks you up regardless of what you run, as does Chansey, but that's cos Tapu Koko's coverage moves all are weak as piss and need as much of a boost as possible.
    (yeah basically the set that AO posted earlier, I didn't see it until just now)

11. Annoying Orange

Annoying Orange sweet creature Server Moderator Social Media Rep Server Moderator Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    yeah I was gonna say this is my favorite tapu koko as it catches a lot of Marowak on the switch in.

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
    Ability: Electric Surge
    Timid Nature
    - Thunderbolt
    - Volt Switch
    - Hidden Power [Ground]
    - Dazzling Gleam

I also like using a CM variant that can 1 shot Marowaks after they switch in on the CM

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  12. Spoovo The Pirate

Oh, I know it loses to most Ground-types in general, I was just specifying those ones because they really fuck it over, while a Dazzling Gleam can at least deal some damage to others. *shrug*

I'll give the Electirium Z a shot though. Could really work.

13. Hassin627

Hassin627 feels dank man

PO Trainer Name:
    Hassin627/dank jesus
    Kartana @ Steelium Z
    EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    IVs: 19 Atk
    - Swords Dance
    - Leaf Blade
    - Sacred Sword
    - Smart Strike

Not my set but I've used it and can vouch for it. Timid and 19 ivs in atk allow it to get its boost in speed after getting a kill, potentially making it a threatening late game sweeper if you manage to get an sd off

Yttrium likes this.
  14. 9898

9898 New Member

Heatran @ Grassium Z
    Ability: Flash Fire
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 SpD
    Modest Nature
    - Protect/Stealth Rocks/Roar/Hidden Power Ice
    - Flash Cannon
    - Flamethrower
    - Solar Beam

Surprise a tapu Fini or roton W

15. Aquarium1

Aquarium1 New Member

Xurkitree @ Electrium Z
    Timid Nature
    - Thunderbolt
    - Energy Ball/Hidden power ice
    - Tail Glow
    - Electric Terrain

Z Electric Terrain gives +1 Speed giving Xurkitree a pseudo double dance.

16. E.T.

E.T. Proud Member Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    Greninja-Unbonded (M) @ Waterium Z
    Ability: Battle Bond
    EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
    - Hydro Pump
    - Dark Pulse
    - Water Shuriken
    - U-turn

One of the best ways to stop Ash-Greninja is to prevent it from transforming in the first place, so this set aims to catch people off balance by nuking something with a Hydro Vortex that has 185 base power + STAB. Alternatively, if you can get a KO and change forms without it, you can use Hydro Vortex as Ash-Greninja to utterly annihilate something. If you are U-Turning early in the battle, this set could also catch people by surprise who might be expecting the more common Choice Specs set.

Hoopa-Unbound @ Assault Vest
    Ability: Magician
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
    - Knock Off
    - Psychic
    - Fire Punch
    - Drain Punch

Assault Vest turns Hoopa-U into a specially defensive tank. I like running mixed sets because Hoopa-U's offenses are good enough to pull it off; Psychic is also handy to have with all the Psychic Terrain from Tapu Lele being around. Fire Punch offers coverage against Magearna, Celesteela, and other Steel-types, while Drain Punch hits Heatran and Dark-types.