1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Cloudflare Security Issue - Change Your Passwords!

Hello there, Guest!

Cloudflare, the internet proxy we use to protect ourselves against DDoS and other malicious attacks, reported on 23rd February 2017 that they had patched a bug reported by Google's Project Zero that was exposing sensitive information in random requests, approximately 0.00003% of all requests, since September 2016.

Whilst it is unlikely that any information has been leaked from this website, we recommend that all users change their passwords here on the Pokémon Online forums, as a precaution. Remember to use a unique and secure password for every site that requires one.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Dismiss Notice

[SM OU] Brilliant Disguise

Discussion in 'Rate My Team' started by Draciel, Dec 6, 2016.

Tags:
Moderators: Edna, fsk
  1. Draciel

Draciel Ghost in the Shell

PO Trainer Name:
    Draciel/Neo
    [​IMG]
    Credits for this amazing banner goes to @JoyFrost

Hey what's up guys! Today I'd like to showcase one of the first SM OU teams I've made and definitely the one I had most success with on the PS OU Ladder. The idea initially was to post this RMT after the official release of SM on PO, but since that's taking a while and I'm heading off to UK tomorrow, it's about time I got this over with. This is a basic Hyper-offensive team I built around my favorite Gen 7 mon Mimikyu, and it should make it easier for newer players to get into SM OU and for older players who are trying to get right back in the metagame. As is the case with HO teams, it is really easy to use but you need to have an aggressive mindset and to try exerting enough pressure on the opponent consistently, which allows the various win-cons to destroy opposing cores and sweep. This team works quite well versus most kinds of playstyles and as you'll soon observe, I have not used the balls-out broken mons which are going to be banned sooner or later(or are already banned), so this should be fine to use for a good while.

[​IMG]
    Peak:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Team at a glance:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Teambuilding Process:

1) Mimikyu was the mon I wanted to build around, it's one of the most interesting new mons to try out with a great ability which complements it well. Standard SD Mimikyu set with Shadow Claw, Shadow Sneak, Play Rough, with LO for added power.

2) Custap lead Skarmory was added for it's ability to reliably set up hazards, and Taunt to prevent slower opposing leads from getting them up.

3) Added Tapu Koko, it's awesome speed and power makes it one of the best mons on offense.

4) Bisharp has been a staple on HO teams since XY, and SM is no different. Takes full advantage of defog spammers and passive mons to set-up and sweep.

5) I needed something that can deal with Fire types like Heatran reliably, and preferably set-up on it. DD Mega-Gyarados is the perfect mon for this, as it gets numerous chances to set-up and adds even more offensive pressure. Dark types being immune to prankster status means Twave Klefki/Thundurus can no longer deal with this at +1.

6) Wanted to try something from Gen 7 which is bulky in general to soak up hits and keep momentum at the same time, so added the awesome AV Magearna with Volt Switch as my last mon. You'll be surprised by how good this is!

[​IMG]
    Team In-depth:

[​IMG]
    Thanks fat user @Jethalal for the pic!

Skarmory @ Custap Berry
    Ability: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Spikes
    - Taunt
    - Brave Bird

Standard Custap lead Skarmory, nothing much to explain here. It's goal is to lay down as many hazards as possible, while preventing slower opposing leads with Taunt. No EVs are invested in bulk so it gets into Custap berry range more easily. Brave Bird makes sure it's not a complete Taunt-bait. This will be your usual lead in 90% of the games unless you see a Sableye in the opposing ranks, in which case you'll have to improvise.

[​IMG]
    Thanks funny user @buny for the pic!

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
    Ability: Electric Surge
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Thunderbolt
    - Volt Switch
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Dazzling Gleam

The fastest Guardian deity of Alola and extremely threatening just like it's peers. Amazing speed and powerful Electric STAB makes it one of the better OU mons currently. 95 SpA might not seem like much, but with Electric Surge it gets a latent 50% boost to it's electric attacks which allows it to hit really fucking hard. This is the standard LO set with Volt Switch for momentum, HP Ice for Lando/Chomp and Dazzling Gleam for Fairy STAB. U-Turn is a valid option in place of Volt Switch to avoid getting trapped by Dugtrio, but I went with the former because Dugtrio falls in LO HP Ice range if hazards are up (which they are in most cases), so use that if you want.

[​IMG]
    Thanks cute user @JoyFrost for the pic!

Mimikyu @ Life Orb
    Ability: Disguise
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Swords Dance
    - Shadow Claw
    - Play Rough
    - Shadow Sneak

My favorite Gen 7 mon, oh how much I love this thing. Other than being super adorable, what makes Mimikyu so good is it's fantastic ability Disguise, which is basically a free decoy to sponge attacks once in a match (would've been grand if it blocked added effects and status as well though). I cannot put enough stress on how useful this is: in multiple games Disguise has been the difference between winning and losing the game. It also allows you to get a free SD boost (Or a +3 boost from Z-Splash if you're using that) majority of the time, and with it's decent speed, good STAB combo in Play Rough/Shadow Claw and priority Shadow Sneak it hits pretty hard. Don't let the cute looks fool you, this ghost doll will fuck you up if you let it.

I've tried 3 different sets of Mimikyu: a) SD LO b) Z-Splash with Normalium Z c) SD with Ghostium Z (Never-ending Nightmare after a SD boost, yea you're dead). All of these are viable so use the one which you like, I prefer the LO one for more attacking power. Also Mold Breaker ignores Disguise, so don't try to set up on Excadrill and Mega Gyarados.

[​IMG]
    Thanks dank memer @Cheezeburgar for the pic!

Gyarados-Mega @ Gyaradosite
    Ability: Mold Breaker
    Jolly Nature
    - Dragon Dance
    - Waterfall
    - Crunch
    - Earthquake

While SM saw an influx of new Fairy type mons, Mega Gyara received a boost which few noticed: it's no longer held hostage by petty Prankster Twave mons like Klefki and Thundurus. With it's base form's excellent typing and Intimidate, Gyara gets numerous chances to set up throughout the match, and at +1 it outspeeds everything up to base 145 speed. This is the standard 3 attacks DD set with Waterfall/Crunch for dual STABs and EQ mostly because I hate King's Shield Aegislash mindgames, and also hits Rotom-W which annoys me to no end.

[​IMG]
    Thanks wannabe Indian @gengar17 for the pic!

Bisharp @ Black Glasses
    Ability: Defiant
    Adamant Nature
    - Swords Dance
    - Iron Head
    - Knock Off
    - Sucker Punch

The MVP of HO teams since XY, and still a top threat in SM. Even with Sucker Punch being slightly nerfed this gen and an influx of faster fairies, Bisharp remains a deadly pokemon on offense that can sweep teams just as easily. Defiant is a godly ability on Bisharp as it takes full advantage of common defog users (yea Tapu Fini is a bitch). Nothing much to say about this set as everyone knows the details: SD to set up, Knock Off to fuck up, Sucker to clean up, and Iron Head to deal with fairies. I chose Adamant nature because it hits harder, and Blackglasses/Dread plate is the item of choice because I hate the LO recoil on Bisharp: it might lack the immediate power of the LO set but it's more useful in the long run to me.

[​IMG]
    Thanks kind user @NananaBatman for the pic!

Magearna @ Assault Vest
    Ability: Soul-Heart
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
    Modest Nature
    - Volt Switch
    - Focus Blast / Aura Sphere
    - Flash Cannon
    - Fleur Cannon / Dazzling Gleam

I wanted to use something new and cool from SM, and then I saw ABR using this against me in an OU room tour final. I was really impressed how bulky this thing was, and it hit really hard as well: so I decided why not try this out for myself. Max HP and SpA with Modest nature to be as bulky as possible and hit as hard as it can, since it's pretty slow in general it takes full advantage with the slow Volt Switches to grab momentum. Flash Cannon and Fleur Cannon provide dual STABs while Focus Blast punishes Heatran and Ferrothron switchins, doing upwards of 65% on SpDef sets of both. Fleur cannon hits stupidly hard and OHKOes pretty much everything it hits neutrally, and Soul Heart complements the SpA drop perfectly with a +1 SpA boost for each kill. All-in-all AV Magearna has served me well and although this definitely isn't its best set or anything, it is hella bulky and does it's job perfectly.

Use Aura Sphere and Dazzling Gleam if you're worried about misses/SpA drops respectively, although the lack of power is noticeable.

Bisharp (M) @ Black Glasses
    Ability: Defiant
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Swords Dance
    - Iron Head
    - Knock Off
    - Sucker Punch

Mimikyu (M) @ Life Orb
    Ability: Disguise
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Swords Dance
    - Shadow Claw
    - Play Rough
    - Shadow Sneak

Skarmory (M) @ Salac Berry
    Ability: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Stealth Rock
    - Spikes
    - Taunt
    - Brave Bird

Gyarados-Mega (Gyarados) (M) @ Gyaradosite
    Ability: Intimidate
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Dragon Dance
    - Waterfall
    - Crunch
    - Earthquake

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
    Ability: Electric Surge
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Thunderbolt
    - Volt Switch
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Dazzling Gleam

Magearna @ Assault Vest
    Ability: Soul-Heart
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Volt Switch
    - Focus Blast
    - Flash Cannon
    - Fleur Cannon
    [​IMG]

No point in doing a separate threatlist for a HO team like this, but I'd like to specially mention Zapdos, the biggest BAN ME PLEASE mon in OU after Static was released: it's troublesome to face but nothing that can't be managed with sensible plays. Also Mega Char X and Volcarona are deadly if you let them set up: try to pressure them by keeping hazards up and don't let them set up for free.

Here's a bunch of replays I managed to save to show how the team works (I'm really bad at saving replays I click X almost instinctively after the game is over, also don't mind the nicks buny picks them most of the time):

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7pokebankou-216933
    http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-484884045
    http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-484874191
    http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-484436004
    http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-484352865
    http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7pokebankou-219169

[​IMG]

That's it folks. You'll like using this team as it's very easy to pick up and does well against most playstyles on ladder. So try it out and let me know if you liked it or not!

Thanks to everyone who did the artwork, especially @JoyFrost for the godly banner as well.
    Shoutouts to my frens from FC, Susie's, Skynet, NL: you're the reason I keep coming here, I love you all.
    Shoutouts to my staff friends from Indigo and VR: Thanks for all the work you do for PO, I really appreciate the effort most of you put into PO and you have my gratitude.
    Special shoutouts to @buny because it's actually her alt, love you!

See y'all next time.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    Aurist, HSOWA, Micaiah and 10 others like this.
  2. buny

buny heartbreak hotel

PO Trainer Name:
    buny
    so basically i peaked at number one and you're friends with the best artists i've ever seen

much love xo:catface:

JoyFrost likes this.
  3. Annoying Orange

Annoying Orange sweet creature Server Moderator Social Media Rep Server Moderator Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    grats buny. one of the only things i see being a possible issue with it is defensive alolan marowak as it can get a free wisp on a lot of things while coming in on koko.

buny likes this.
  4. fsk

fsk Kept hacking Tier Leader Server Moderator Tier Leader Server Moderator

PO Trainer Name:
    fsk
    Gz on the peak Draciel and buny!

I don't play lower tiers like OU but have been watched some high ladder games a bit, and I wonder how you deal with Toxapex stall 0.0
    Imagine, Mega Sableye+ Toxapex +Dugtrio (+ Ferro), which seems a really legit core for an outsider....are u really gonna rely on Koko alone to kill Toxapex? Yes LO HP ice kills Duggy if with hazards but it is not very likely to have hazards up against a Mega Sab user based on the setter...
    Possibly, change EQ on Mega Gyara to Sub, so that you can break Sab when blocking WoW, and Toxapex although hard to kill cannot do much to u anyway, and replace some into an offensive healing wish user in accordance? Guess this could make the problem less severe against the combo Sab+Tox+Duggy. Or perhaps try another hazard setter, idk if will clef work in here.

------------
    Edit: Seems like I missed the great artworks lol
    But I don't really have much to say about the artworks, except:
    d
    Blinky: oy pls

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
    buny likes this.
  5. NananaBatman

NananaBatman Well-Known Member

why's evry1 rating the team even, y'all should be rating the artwork since it clearly is the focal point of this rmt. With that said, here comes my unbiased rate.

Skarmory: Looks like one of skarm's wings was clipped, also it looks fat. 5/10

Tapu koko: I don't even know what the fuck the normal tapu koko looks like but apparently its missing its tail, 4/10.

Mimikyu: Tbh this is pretty close to the real thing, but the difficulty for this 1 was pretty low, 8/10.

Mega Gyarados: Wrong shade of black, missing its whiskers things. Poorly drawn mouth, 5/10.

Bisharp: This 1 looks pretty decent, but the legs could've used a bit more details. 7/10.

Magearna: This 1 is fucking perfect and theres absolutely no way to improve it, 10/10 flawless.

Overall I'd say the team is decent but it's weak to bright colors and better drawings as a whole. I'd recommend whoever drew the Magearna to be in charge of all your art in the future.

If I dont get team rater badge with this no1 should ever get it.

6. Annoying Orange

Annoying Orange sweet creature Server Moderator Social Media Rep Server Moderator Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    if only the artist of the magearna put his signature on that beautiful masterpiece

7. JoyFrost

JoyFrost I wasn't built to break~ Forum Moderator Server Administrator Article Contributor Forum Moderator Server Administrator Article Contributor

PO Trainer Name:
    JoyFrost
    Lmao I really wanna draw Magearna ;-;

Edit:
    Where did those eyelashes go?
    Batman explain.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  8. Annoying Orange

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    can i suggest centering these things:
    [​IMG]

really fucking up my ocd​

9. Seamus Eso

Seamus Eso New Member

Your team is complete stall food. No stall breakers and no powerful combination of wall-breakers. Your team will require a good amount of reconstruction and Bisharp+Magearna is easily the most replacable. I would offer suggestions but a lot it will just be preference so I'd rather not. SD Flyingium Z Land-T is good choice to include alongside a strong CB user to deal with Quag stall. Skarm is shut down by Mega Sableye completely.

10. Aurist

Aurist I do not jump for joy. I frolic in doubt.

RIP this team when people realized custap was unavailable in S/M. Still, sweet af team, Mimikyu w/ hazard offense was a great idea. Also disagree with above post that it's stall food, Bisharp and Gyarados shit all over stall

Draciel likes this.
  11. Draciel

Draciel Ghost in the Shell

PO Trainer Name:
    Draciel/Neo
    EQ on Mega Gyara is precisely to deal with Rotom-W and Toxapex, I don't like running Crunch alone and falling for Baneful Bunker shenanigans. +1 EQ does upwards of 70% to max def Toxapex

Anyway since Custap is unreleased now, I''ve changed the item on Skarmory to Salac Berry in the importable: not as effective as Custap is but still works most of the time.

E.T. likes this.
  12. The Norman

The Norman Austin 3:16 says I just whipped your a*s!

Draciel , Nice team from you. well , I Am lacking SM OU knowledge so I can't Suggest you something better but after thinking out a long time I Think you can run Focus Sash Aerodactyl instead of running Skarmory. I Hope it works. I will be wrong because no experience in SM OU but if I am correct , you can use Aerodactyl as your lead.

Moderators: Edna, fsk