1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Player Interview: Casparov

Discussion in 'Articles' started by E.T., Dec 11, 2016.

Moderators: E.T.
  1. E.T.

E.T. Random Slowpoke Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    [​IMG]

Welcome to the first Player Interview! In this edition, we interview @Casparov, the most recent winner of the Lower Tier Triathlon (LTT). The LTT is an Official Pokémon Online Tournament in which entrants battle in a best-of-three series in the tiers ORAS UU, ORAS LU, and ORAS NU. Casparov has been a long-time Mega User for the Tournaments channel on the PO server, so he has quite a bit of experience playing PO lower tiers. In this interview, Casparov discusses what it is like to play in the LTT and win. Without further ado, let's get started!

1. How did you first discover Pokémon?

I was around 10 years old when I first encountered the world of Pokémon. It was new and a really big hype back then. My parents bought me Pokémon Red for my Game Boy. I was immediately addicted playing day and night. After that, I started to collect the Pokémon cards, and I eventually started playing the trading card game as well. When I got to high school, I kinda stopped with anything Pokémon related.

2. How did you first discover PO?

Found it by accident on the Google Play store. I was bored of the all the mindless Angry Birds and Candy Crush games, so I tried to find something I would actually enjoy playing. I tried to find an emulator so that I could play some Pokémon RPG. Instead, I found PO.

3. How long have you been playing PO?

About 3 years now—so since the beginning of XY. I hadn't played Pokémon for years and only played till Gen 3, so there were like 300 Pokémon I'd never seen before. I learned everything there was to know from websites like Smogon and Pokémon DB.

4. During your time here, have there been any players that you've looked up to?

Battling-wise, I looked up to Poliwrath says and Trademark. In my eyes, they were the two best players in tours channel at that time.

5. What is it about the lower tiers that makes you want to play them?

They are more diverse than OU. In OU, the teams are either aids or Landorus-T, Keldeo, Latias / Latios, Scizor, and two fillers. You can be a little more creative playing the lower tiers, so I enjoy that more.

6. Can you describe what it's like to win an Official Tour?

Being an underdog who ends up winning felt good. It's like the Netherlands winning the World Cup.

Also, it was pretty funny because I actually didn't want to join LTT. I was planning to take a break till Sun and Moon came out. However, user gengar17 threatened to kill my family if I wouldn't join, so I had no choice.

7. What were the keys to your success in LTT?

Luck and whiskey.

8. Did you use any personal favorite Pokémon in your teams, or did you only go with what you thought would make the best team possible?

In official tours like this, the only thing that matters is the win, so using Pokémon you like, that look cool, or whatever is pointless.

9. How did you test your teams for this tournament?

I actually didn't test that much. With PO being dead and all, it's really hard to find a battle on the ladder or in tours. I did ask a few people to help test, but I didn't have much time to prepare at all.

10. Were there any moments during the tour where you thought you might lose?

In Round 2, I almost lost. The score was 1-1, and we were playing our last game. My opponent had the upper hand. I still had opportunities to win, but he decided to time out, and I took the win.

11. At what point could you realistically see yourself winning the tour?

I didn't think I would beat Kushalos, but after I did and saw ZoroDark was my opponent in the final, I knew I would win because it's well known ZoroDark always loses in finals.

12. In regards to LTT, did being a MU for Server Tournaments help or hurt you?

Neither. The only thing I tried was adding tours I needed a test for, but they usually died anyway.

13. Now that ORAS has drawn to a close, what are your thoughts on the final state of PO UU, LU, and NU? Is there anything that you would like to have seen get banned or unbanned?

The tiers are pretty stable imo. There are a few Pokémon like Shaymin, Registeel, and Mega Audino that could move up a tier, but they aren't that big of a problem in my eyes.

14. Is there anything else that you would like to say to our readers?

:v

There you have it folks—a glimpse into the rise of a LTT winner! Thanks, Casparov, for sharing your experience with our readers and congratulations on your victory! This edition of Player Interview is coming to an end, but there will be more to come. To nominate players to be interviewed, post here or contact @E.T. on the PO forums.

Casparov - For Being Interviewed
    E.T. - Writer, Questions
    pokemonnerd - Questions
    Joyverse - Questions
    Sobi - Grammar
    JoyFrost - Artist

Do you want to contribute to Articles too? Here's How to Become an Articles Contributor.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    Tavi97, Jethalal, Alipio and 12 others like this.
  2. Annoying Orange

Annoying Orange sweet creature Server Moderator Social Media Rep Server Moderator Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    gratsparov

Casparov likes this.
Moderators: E.T.