1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, due to a lack of interest, playerbase, and general desire to continue, PO will hereby cease our separate tiering and adopt Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[Released] Core Breakdown: OU [Mega Charizard Y| Tyranitar]

Discussion in 'Article Review' started by Annoying Orange, Dec 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Annoying Orange

Annoying Orange sweet creature Server Moderator Social Media Rep Server Moderator Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    [​IMG]

Introduction

Offense is, in my opinion, the best playstyle in ORAS OU. Stall is often an issue for offense to deal with; however, that isn't the case with this core. Mega Charizard Y is an amazing wallbreaker, being able to deal massive damage to anything that isn't extremely specially bulky or resistant to its moves. This is where Choice Band Tyranitar comes in; it traps anything that wants to switch in to Mega Charizard Y, such as Latios, Latias, and Chansey. It then threatens them by trapping them with Pursuit. This core easily applies a lot of offensive pressure on foes, which is very important for offense. Of course, you can't just throw any four Pokémon around this core and expect it to work to its full potential.
    Sets

[​IMG]
    Charizard (M) @ Charizardite Y
    Trait: Blaze
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    IVs: 0 Atk
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Fire Blast
    - Focus Blast
    - Solar Beam
    - Roost​

This is the standard wallbreaker set for Charizard. Thanks to gaining Drought when it Mega Evolves, a sun-boosted Fire Blast nearly knocks out most Pokémon in the metagame with one or two hits, excluding Pokémon that resist and specially bulky Pokémon. Fire Blast still puts heavy dents in the Pokémon that resist it, though. It takes out Pokémon such as standard Mega Sableye and Clefable with two hits and is a 3HKO on most common Latios switch-ins. Focus Blast covers Pokémon like Heatran and Tyranitar, which would otherwise be a lot more threatening. Solar Beam is coverage for Water-type Pokémon such as Keldeo and Suicune. Roost is there as recovery that can be used against Pokémon that can't take Mega Charizard Y out. Charizard can safely use the move on Pokémon forced out to keep its HP high so that it is able to switch in more and not lose to priority moves.

EVs: This set isn't about taking hits. The EVs for Mega Charizard Y's Speed should be maxed out so it can outspeed the Pokémon it needs to and tie with Pokémon with the same base Speed. Maxing out its Special Attack is necessary for dealing the most possible damage.

[​IMG]
    Tyranitar (M) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Sand Stream
    EVs: 100 HP / 252 Atk / 156 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Stone Edge
    - Crunch
    - Pursuit
    - Superpower​

Stone Edge is Tyranitar's main STAB move. It's going to hit almost everything really hard. Rock-resistant Pokémon and physical walls are mostly covered by Mega Charizard Y, which is another reason this core is so great. Crunch is a stronger Dark-type STAB move meant to hit hard. It can be used over Pursuit if you feel like the opponent is keeping their Pokémon in. Choice Band Tyranitar pairs nicely with Mega Charizard Y for a simple reason: it Pursuit traps Pokémon that resist or tank Mega Charizard Y's attacks, such as Chansey, Latias, and Latios, the former taking massive damage and the last two getting OHKOed. Superpower hits Pokémon like Chansey that sometimes stay in on the Pursuit to heal up. It also hits other Pokémon such as opposing Tyranitar and Reflect Type Latias.

EVs: Attack should always be maxed out to deal the most possible damage. Speed, however, may vary depending on what specific Pokémon should be outsped. 156 Speed EVs is enough to outspeed Mandibuzz with no Speed investment so they don't spam Roost and completely wall Tyranitar. Running 176 Speed EVs allows it to outspeed Adamant Azumarill. Maximum Speed can be run to outspeed Pokémon such as Mega Venusaur, Rotom-W, and defensive Landorus-T. Any remaining EVs go into HP to give Tyranitar some bulk.
    Team Options

As stated earlier, you can't just throw this core with any four Pokémon and expect it to work. This core is meant for offensive teams. A Water-resistant Pokémon is needed, as the core itself is weak to the type. Latios is a potential partner, as it's fast and can take away entry hazards, which the core is weak to. Latios is also good because it outspeeds Keldeo, which can be a threat to this core. Ferrothorn can take Water- and Electric-type attacks that also threaten the core. Hazard support is crucial for this core, so make sure you keep that in mind. Zapdos and Latias are also optional Defoggers. Starmie can be used to Rapid Spin away entry hazards while also providing a Water- and Fighting-resistant Pokémon. Garchomp and offensive Landorus-T are good Pokémon to get up your own hazards, which can help with pressuring the opponent. Other Pokémon that apply pressure on the opponent are nice to have too. Keldeo works well, as it resists Water and hits really hard. The core can be paired with VoltTurn support so that Tyranitar or Mega Charizard Y can be brought in safely.
    Conclusion

This is an amazing offensive core to use in OU. It can work well versus any playstyle, including stall and hyper offense. You're going to have to play aggressively sometimes, which means making predictions. For example, if the opponent has a Chansey or Latios, they will likely switch it into your Charizard. Knowing this, you can switch in your Tyranitar on your opponent's switch; it can then trap the opponent's Pokémon for a possible KO. It is important to control entry hazards well and keep up the pressure on the opponent as well. Finally, make sure to build around this core carefully because teammates are crucial for it to work.

Annoying Orange - Writer, Artist
    E.T. - QC, Grammar
    Sobi - Grammar
    Joyverse - QC
    Redjoker25 - Grammar

Do you want to contribute to Articles too? Here's How to Become an Articles Contributor.​

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2017
    Joyverse likes this.
  2. Annoying Orange

Annoying Orange sweet creature Server Moderator Social Media Rep Server Moderator Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
  3. E.T.

E.T. Proud Member Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    @Annoying Orange
    This is looking pretty good so far.
    • In the Charizard section, you may want to mention Drought specifically for clarity since Blaze is listed in the set. Also, you should explain why Roost is included in the set.
    • In the Tyranitar section, you say that the Speed may vary, so could you give an additional example that covers a different Speed spread?
    • Under Team Options, "Hazard Support" and "the rest of the team" mentioned in the last two sentences could use a few more details. Are there hazard removers other than [email protected]? Are there hazard setters other than Ferrothorn? What would be additional "offensive Pokemon" to include? Things like that.
    • In the conclusion, "You're going to have to play aggressively sometimes...", more detail here or an example or two would make this better.
    I'm advancing this to [WIP] because it definitely has enough structure for that. Also, FYI, Aurist is not an Articles Leader anymore.

Annoying Orange likes this.
  4. Annoying Orange

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
  5. E.T.

E.T. Proud Member Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    Good additions. I would still like to see Roost at least mentioned in the Charizard section. I would also like to see some discussion about the 5th and 6th team slots in team options. I'm also skeptical about the mention of Lando-T and Skarmory. Defog Skarmory seems a bit out of place to me if this is supposed to be an offensive build, and Lando-T doesn't help the Water weakness that was mentioned elsewhere in the article. Yes, Drought nullifies that weakness if it is active, but there probably should be a Water resist in there somewhere.

6. Annoying Orange

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    well I mentioned latios/ferro as water resists i think. ofc im not finished. will add more.

7. E.T.

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    That's fine, there's no rush. I just responded since you said "updated".

8. Joyverse

Joyverse Toki wo tomare!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Yo, sorry. My internet had been pretty slow for the last few days. As a matter of fact, I tried editing a few of my posts to no success :c I'll be very happy if this reply passes. I posted to let you know...
    [SEEN]

I'll get to the Pokemon soon.

9. Annoying Orange

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    put all of those fixes E.T.
    waiting on what joyverse has to say now i guess

10. Joyverse

Joyverse Toki wo tomare!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Change the trait to Drought on Zard Y.

That's all I guess, nothing else much really I guess. Specs Volcanion kinda troubles the two but Latias exists to check it. IDK what else would trouble the core that much.

Tagging @Finchinator to have one last look to check things I may have missed.

11. Annoying Orange

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    Well keldeo & latios/as were listed as water resists.
    I'll change it. its like that bc regular mon is char

12. Joyverse

Joyverse Toki wo tomare!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Pony doesn't take too well against Volcanion. Latias however is pretty useful if it has Roost, that's kinda it.

13. Annoying Orange

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    they're still all optional water resists. that's like saying latias has to be a part of the core for it to be perfect which isn't the case.
    not a lot of things check specs volcanion, not many water types at that bc hp grass is powerful.

14. Joyverse

Joyverse Toki wo tomare!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Nah didn't mean that, but the Latwins should get a mention as they check Volca better. If we are talking Gen7, Water Absorb is mention-able Volcanion check. Gastrodon also might be worth a mention.

15. Annoying Orange

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    they got a mention. Gastro on an offensive ou team is not worth a mention

16. Joyverse

Joyverse Toki wo tomare!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Oh rip, I meant Water Absorb Mantine for gen7. Yeah, it's fine if you don't mention Gastro. Everything else is ok rn.

17. E.T.

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    Advancing this to [Grammar].

18. Sobi

Sobi To be loved is a strength. To love is a weakness. Article Contributor Article Contributor

PO Trainer Name:
    Sobi
    raw text
    GP 1/2 (I think two grammar checks are suitable for every article; of course, if anything has been missed, feel free to point that out if the GP checkers have not. also, once you've implemented this check, add 1/2 or 'ready for last gp check' or something along the lines of that to the OP so the next gper knows)

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  19. Annoying Orange

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    ready for gp 2/2

20. Joyverse

Joyverse Toki wo tomare!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    "ready for gp 2/2" Wha? That's not how it's done lol! Either "GP approved 2/2" or something else. GJ bumping the thread tho xd

Even though it seems fine by me, double checking is appreciated. Tagging @RedJoker25 and @E.T. .

[1K POST WASTED GFG]

21. Annoying Orange

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    hello? im ready for the 2nd of two gp's lol. sobi legit told me to come fix then post when im ready for the second one

22. Joyverse

Joyverse Toki wo tomare!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Ah my bad, misunderstood stuff.

23. pokemonnerd

pokemonnerd Only uso listens to pnerd. Devo too. Article Contributor Article Contributor

Smh wasting the 1k like that. Just goes to show how needed the India ban is.

Annoying Orange likes this.
  24. Joyverse

Joyverse Toki wo tomare!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    At least wasting the 1K post is better than neglecting your duties and getting demoted and shit! :>

25. RedJoker25

RedJoker25 Resident Lurker Server Moderator Article Contributor Server Moderator Article Contributor

PO Trainer Name:
    RedJoker25
    Offense is, in my opinion, the best playstyle in ORAS OU. Most of the times, stall is sometimes an issue to deal with; however, that isn't the case with this core/*I'm not sure what this is trying to say but it's awkward. "Most of the time, it's sometimes"*/. Mega Charizard Y is an amazing wallbreaker in the metagame, being able to deal massive damage to anything that isn't extremely specially bulky or resistsant to its moves. This is where Choice Band Tyranitar comes in; it traps anything that wants to switch in to Mega Charizard Y, such as Latios, Latias, and Chansey. It then threatens them by trapping them with Pursuit. This core easily applies a lot of offensive pressure on foes, which is very important for offense. Of course, you can't just throw any four Pokeémon around this core and expect it to work to its full potential.

Sets
    Charizard-Mega-Y (M) @ Charizardite Y
    Trait: DoughtBlaze
    - Fire Blast
    - Focus Blast
    - Solar Beam
    - Roost

This is the standard wallbreaker set for Charizard. Thanks to gaining Drought when it Mega Evolves, a sun-boosted Fire Blast nearly knocks out most Pokeémon in the metagame with one or two hits, excluding Pokeémon that resist it and specially bulky Pokeémon. IFire Blast still puts heavy dents in the Pokeémon that do resist it, though. It takes out Pokeémon such as standard Mega Sableye and Clefable with two Fire Blashits and is a 3HKO on most Latios that are common Latios switch-ins. Focus Blast covers Pokeémon like Heatran and Tyranitar, which would otherwise be a lot more threatening to this Pokemon. Solar Beam is coverage for some of the Water-type Pokeémon such as Keldeo and Suicune. Roost is there as recovery that you can use against Pokeémon that can't take Mega Charizard Y out. ItCharizard can safely use the move on Pokeémon forced out to keep its HP high so that it is able to switch in more and not lose to priority moves.

EVs: This set isn't about taking hits. You want to max out Mega Charizard Y's Speed so it can outspeed the Pokeémon it needs to and Speed tie with other Pokeémon with the same base Speed. Maxing out its Special Attack is necessary for dealing the most possible damage.

- Stone Edge
    - Crunch
    - Pursuit
    - Superpower

Stone Edge is Tyranitar's main STAB move. It's going to hit almost everything really hard. Rock-resistant Pokeémon and physical walls are mostly covered by Mega Charizard Y, which is another reason this core is so great. Crunch is a stronger Dark-type STAB move meant to just hit hard. It can be used over Pursuit if you feel like the opponent is keeping their Pokeémon in. Choice Band Tyranitar pairs so nicely with Mega Charizard Y for a simple reason: it Pursuit traps Pokeémon that resist or tank Mega Charizard Y's attacks, such as Chansey, Latias, and Latios. It can then Pursuit trap the aforementioned Pokemon, taking out Latios and Latias and dealing massive damage to Chansey. /*"It pursuit traps then pursuit traps" felt weird and I didn't feel the second sentence really added anything but if you want to keep the part about damage dealt, I'd suggest somehow combining the two sentences*/ Superpower hits Pokeémon like Chansey that sometimes stay in on the Pursuit to heal up. It also hits other Pokeémon such as opposing Tyranitar and Reflect Type Latias.

EVs: The Attack should always be maxed out to deal the most possible damage. The Speed, however, may vary depending on what specific Pokeémon you're trying to outspeed. 156 Speed EVs is enough to outspeed Mandibuzz with no Speed investments so they don't spam Roost and completely wall Tyranitar. Running 176 Speed EVs allows it to outspeed Adamant Azumarill. You can run maximum Speed if you want to outspeed Pokeémon such as Mega Venusaur, Rotom-W, and defensive Landorus-T. Any remaining EVs go into HP to give Tyranitar some bulk.

Team Options

As stated earlier, you can't just throw this core with any four Pokeémon and expect it to work. This core is meant for offensive teams. You're going to want a Water-resistant Pokémon, as the core itself is weak to the type. Latios is an optiotential partner, as it's fast and can take away entry hazards, which the core is weak to. Latios is also good because it outspeeds Keldeo, which can be a threat to this core. Ferrothorn can take Water- and Electric-type attacks that also threaten the core. Hazard support is crucial for this core so make sure you keep that in mind. Zapdos and Latias are also optional Defoggers. You can use Starmie to Rapid Spin away entry hazards while also providing a Water- and Fighting-resistant Pokeémon. Garchomp and offensive Landorus-T are good Pokeémon to get up your own hazards, which can help with pressuring the opponent. You may want to use other Pokeémon that apply pressure on the opponent. Keldeo works well. as it resists Water and hits really hard. You can pair this with VoltTurn support so that Tyranitar or Mega Charizard Y can be brought in safely.

Conclusion

This is an amazing offensive core to use in OU. It can work well versus any playstyle, including stall and hyper offense. You're going to have to play aggressively sometimes, which means making predictions. For example, if your opponent has a Chansey or Latios, they will likely switch it into your Charizard. Knowing this, you can switch in your Tyranitar on your opponent's switch; it can then trap the opponent's Pokeémon for a possible KO. Make sure you control entry hazards well and keep up the pressure on the opponent, and you should be fine. Finally, make sure to build around this core carefully because teammates are crucial for it to work.

Offense is, in my opinion, the best playstyle in ORAS OU. Most of the time, stall is sometimes an issue to deal with; however, that isn't the case with this core. Mega Charizard Y is an amazing wallbreaker, being able to deal massive damage to anything that isn't extremely specially bulky or resistant to its moves. This is where Choice Band Tyranitar comes in; it traps anything that wants to switch in to Mega Charizard Y, such as Latios, Latias, and Chansey. It then threatens them by trapping them with Pursuit. This core easily applies a lot of offensive pressure on foes, which is very important for offense. Of course, you can't just throw any four Pokémon around this core and expect it to work to its full potential.

Sets
    - Fire Blast
    - Focus Blast
    - Solar Beam
    - Roost

This is the standard wallbreaker set for Charizard. Thanks to gaining Drought when it Mega Evolves, a sun-boosted Fire Blast nearly knocks out most Pokémon in the metagame with one or two hits, excluding Pokémon that resist and specially bulky Pokémon. Fire Blast still puts heavy dents in the Pokémon that resist it, though. It takes out Pokémon such as standard Mega Sableye and Clefable with two hits and is a 3HKO on most common Latios switch-ins. Focus Blast covers Pokémon like Heatran and Tyranitar, which would otherwise be a lot more threatening. Solar Beam is coverage for Water-type Pokémon such as Keldeo and Suicune. Roost is there as recovery that you can use against Pokémon that can't take Mega Charizard Y out. Charizard can safely use the move on Pokémon forced out to keep its HP high so that it is able to switch in more and not lose to priority moves.

EVs: This set isn't about taking hits. You want to max out Mega Charizard Y's Speed so it can outspeed the Pokémon it needs to and tie with Pokémon with the same base Speed. Maxing out its Special Attack is necessary for dealing the most possible damage.

- Stone Edge
    - Crunch
    - Pursuit
    - Superpower

Stone Edge is Tyranitar's main STAB move. It's going to hit almost everything really hard. Rock-resistant Pokémon and physical walls are mostly covered by Mega Charizard Y, which is another reason this core is so great. Crunch is a stronger Dark-type STAB move meant to hit hard. It can be used over Pursuit if you feel like the opponent is keeping their Pokémon in. Choice Band Tyranitar pairs nicely with Mega Charizard Y for a simple reason: it Pursuit traps Pokémon that resist or tank Mega Charizard Y's attacks, such as Chansey, Latias, and Latios. Superpower hits Pokémon like Chansey that sometimes stay in on the Pursuit to heal up. It also hits other Pokémon such as opposing Tyranitar and Reflect Type Latias.

EVs: Attack should always be maxed out to deal the most possible damage. Speed, however, may vary depending on what specific Pokémon you're trying to outspeed. 156 Speed EVs is enough to outspeed Mandibuzz with no Speed investment so they don't spam Roost and completely wall Tyranitar. Running 176 Speed EVs allows it to outspeed Adamant Azumarill. You can run maximum Speed if you want to outspeed Pokémon such as Mega Venusaur, Rotom-W, and defensive Landorus-T. Any remaining EVs go into HP to give Tyranitar some bulk.

Team Options

As stated earlier, you can't just throw this core with any four Pokémon and expect it to work. This core is meant for offensive teams. You're going to want a Water-resistant Pokémon, as the core itself is weak to the type. Latios is a potential partner, as it's fast and can take away entry hazards, which the core is weak to. Latios is also good because it outspeeds Keldeo, which can be a threat to this core. Ferrothorn can take Water- and Electric-type attacks that also threaten the core. Hazard support is crucial so make sure you keep that in mind. Zapdos and Latias are also optional Defoggers. You can use Starmie to Rapid Spin away entry hazards while also providing a Water- and Fighting-resistant Pokémon. Garchomp and offensive Landorus-T are good Pokémon to get up your own hazards, which can help with pressuring the opponent. You may want to use other Pokémon that apply pressure on the opponent. Keldeo works well. as it resists Water and hits really hard. You can pair this with VoltTurn support so that Tyranitar or Mega Charizard Y can be brought in safely.

Conclusion

This is an amazing offensive core to use in OU. It can work well versus any playstyle, including stall and hyper offense. You're going to have to play aggressively sometimes, which means making predictions. For example, if your opponent has a Chansey or Latios, they will likely switch it into your Charizard. Knowing this, you can switch in your Tyranitar on your opponent's switch; it can then trap the opponent's Pokémon for a possible KO. Make sure you control entry hazards well and keep up the pressure on the opponent, and you should be fine. Finally, make sure to build around this core carefully because teammates are crucial for it to work.

Not quite approved by me yet because of the second sentence (see changes and notes) and I'd prefer someone going over it in case it's just over my head. Also just to make sure it's noticed since importables are kind of set it and forget it, Mega Charizard Y's had "Drought" misspelled. I changed it to an importable for a Charizard that Mega Evolves but not sure if that's what we want for core-based articles or if we actually want it as Mega whatever.

26. Joyverse

Joyverse Toki wo tomare!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Blaze --> Drought or something similar should work on the importable part.

27. Sobi

Sobi To be loved is a strength. To love is a weakness. Article Contributor Article Contributor

PO Trainer Name:
    Sobi
    Sorry @RedJoker25.. That was my fault :x

Most of the time, stall is sometimes Stall is often an issue for offense to deal with; however, that isn't the case with this core.

I think that should work.

Choice Band Tyranitar pairs nicely with Mega Charizard Y for a simple reason: it Pursuit traps Pokémon that resist or tank Mega Charizard Y's attacks, such as Chansey, Latias, and Latios, the former taking massive damage and the last two getting OHKOed. It can then Pursuit trap the aforementioned Pokemon, taking out Latios and Latias and dealing massive damage to Chansey.

GP 3/2 lol.

RedJoker25 likes this.
  28. RedJoker25

RedJoker25 Resident Lurker Server Moderator Article Contributor Server Moderator Article Contributor

PO Trainer Name:
    RedJoker25
    That works. Approved now with the above changes.

29. Annoying Orange

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    put the first part in, having touble finding where the second part is due to it not being part of a full gp, i can't see that sentence in there anywhere and if it isnt, not sure what im replacing.

30. RedJoker25

PO Trainer Name:
    RedJoker25
    It's the paragraph right after Tyranitar's importable.

31. Annoying Orange

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    o ok im dumb, fixed

32. Sobi

PO Trainer Name:
    Sobi
    Reminder for future articles:

- After implementing the first check, put 1/2, checks: 1/2, or GP 1/2 in the title so that we know it's ready for the second check.

For now, though:

- After implementing the second check, change the tag to [FINAL]

33. Joyverse

Joyverse Toki wo tomare!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    1/2 is better than GP 1/2 in here js. Let this be known to all other GPers as some articles got some long titles.

34. E.T.

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    Final Changes: I checked from RedJoker's last Grammar check and added the items that were discussed afterwards. I noticed that this article used too much second person, so I changed the wording in a few places for that. I left it in for places where it discussed prediction since that's probably the most straightforward way to discuss that.
    Offense is, in my opinion, the best playstyle in ORAS OU. Most of the time, sStall is sometimesoften an issue for offense to deal with; however, that isn't the case with this core. Mega Charizard Y is an amazing wallbreaker, being able to deal massive damage to anything that isn't extremely specially bulky or resistant to its moves. This is where Choice Band Tyranitar comes in; it traps anything that wants to switch in to Mega Charizard Y, such as Latios, Latias, and Chansey. It then threatens them by trapping them with Pursuit. This core easily applies a lot of offensive pressure on foes, which is very important for offense. Of course, you can't just throw any four Pokémon around this core and expect it to work to its full potential.

Sets
    - Fire Blast
    - Focus Blast
    - Solar Beam
    - Roost

This is the standard wallbreaker set for Charizard. Thanks to gaining Drought when it Mega Evolves, a sun-boosted Fire Blast nearly knocks out most Pokémon in the metagame with one or two hits, excluding Pokémon that resist and specially bulky Pokémon. Fire Blast still puts heavy dents in the Pokémon that resist it, though. It takes out Pokémon such as standard Mega Sableye and Clefable with two hits and is a 3HKO on most common Latios switch-ins. Focus Blast covers Pokémon like Heatran and Tyranitar, which would otherwise be a lot more threatening. Solar Beam is coverage for Water-type Pokémon such as Keldeo and Suicune. Roost is there as recovery that you can be used against Pokémon that can't take Mega Charizard Y out. Charizard can safely use the move on Pokémon forced out to keep its HP high so that it is able to switch in more and not lose to priority moves.

EVs: This set isn't about taking hits. You want to max outThe EVs for Mega Charizard Y's Speed should be maxed out so it can outspeed the Pokémon it needs to and tie with Pokémon with the same base Speed. Maxing out its Special Attack is necessary for dealing the most possible damage.

- Stone Edge
    - Crunch
    - Pursuit
    - Superpower

Stone Edge is Tyranitar's main STAB move. It's going to hit almost everything really hard. Rock-resistant Pokémon and physical walls are mostly covered by Mega Charizard Y, which is another reason this core is so great. Crunch is a stronger Dark-type STAB move meant to hit hard. It can be used over Pursuit if you feel like the opponent is keeping their Pokémon in. Choice Band Tyranitar pairs nicely with Mega Charizard Y for a simple reason: it Pursuit traps Pokémon that resist or tank Mega Charizard Y's attacks, such as Chansey, Latias, and Latios, the former taking massive damage and the last two getting OHKOed. Superpower hits Pokémon like Chansey that sometimes stay in on the Pursuit to heal up. It also hits other Pokémon such as opposing Tyranitar and Reflect Type Latias.

EVs: Attack should always be maxed out to deal the most possible damage. Speed, however, may vary depending on what specific Pokémon you're trying toshould be outspeed. 156 Speed EVs is enough to outspeed Mandibuzz with no Speed investment so they don't spam Roost and completely wall Tyranitar. Running 176 Speed EVs allows it to outspeed Adamant Azumarill. You can run mMaximum Speed if you wantcan be run to outspeed Pokémon such as Mega Venusaur, Rotom-W, and defensive Landorus-T. Any remaining EVs go into HP to give Tyranitar some bulk.

Team Options

As stated earlier, you can't just throw this core with any four Pokémon and expect it to work. This core is meant for offensive teams. You're going to want aA Water-resistant Pokémon is needed, as the core itself is weak to the type. Latios is a potential partner, as it's fast and can take away entry hazards, which the core is weak to. Latios is also good because it outspeeds Keldeo, which can be a threat to this core. Ferrothorn can take Water- and Electric-type attacks that also threaten the core. Hazard support is a crucial so make sure youtopic to keep that in mind. Zapdos and Latias are also optional Defoggers. YouStarmie can use Starmiebe used to Rapid Spin away entry hazards while also providing a Water- and Fighting-resistant Pokémon. Garchomp and offensive Landorus-T are good Pokémon to get up your own hazards, which can help with pressuring the opponent. You may want to use oOther Pokémon that apply pressure on the opponent are nice to have too. Keldeo works well., as it resists Water and hits really hard. YouThe core can be pair thised with VoltTurn support so that Tyranitar or Mega Charizard Y can be brought in safely.

Conclusion

This is an amazing offensive core to use in OU. It can work well versus any playstyle, including stall and hyper offense. You're going to have to play aggressively sometimes, which means making predictions. For example, if yourthe opponent has a Chansey or Latios, they will likely switch it into your Charizard. Knowing this, you can switch in your Tyranitar on your opponent's switch; it can then trap the opponent's Pokémon for a possible KO. Make sure youIt is important to control entry hazards well and keep up the pressure on the opponent, and you should be fines well. Finally, make sure to build around this core carefully because teammates are crucial for it to work.

Draft
    [​IMG]

Introduction

Offense is, in my opinion, the best playstyle in ORAS OU. Stall is often an issue for offense to deal with; however, that isn't the case with this core. Mega Charizard Y is an amazing wallbreaker, being able to deal massive damage to anything that isn't extremely specially bulky or resistant to its moves. This is where Choice Band Tyranitar comes in; it traps anything that wants to switch in to Mega Charizard Y, such as Latios, Latias, and Chansey. It then threatens them by trapping them with Pursuit. This core easily applies a lot of offensive pressure on foes, which is very important for offense. Of course, you can't just throw any four Pokémon around this core and expect it to work to its full potential.

Sets

[​IMG]
    - Fire Blast
    - Focus Blast
    - Solar Beam
    - Roost​

This is the standard wallbreaker set for Charizard. Thanks to gaining Drought when it Mega Evolves, a sun-boosted Fire Blast nearly knocks out most Pokémon in the metagame with one or two hits, excluding Pokémon that resist and specially bulky Pokémon. Fire Blast still puts heavy dents in the Pokémon that resist it, though. It takes out Pokémon such as standard Mega Sableye and Clefable with two hits and is a 3HKO on most common Latios switch-ins. Focus Blast covers Pokémon like Heatran and Tyranitar, which would otherwise be a lot more threatening. Solar Beam is coverage for Water-type Pokémon such as Keldeo and Suicune. Roost is there as recovery that can be used against Pokémon that can't take Mega Charizard Y out. Charizard can safely use the move on Pokémon forced out to keep its HP high so that it is able to switch in more and not lose to priority moves.

EVs: This set isn't about taking hits. The EVs for Mega Charizard Y's Speed should be maxed out so it can outspeed the Pokémon it needs to and tie with Pokémon with the same base Speed. Maxing out its Special Attack is necessary for dealing the most possible damage.

[​IMG]
    - Stone Edge
    - Crunch
    - Pursuit
    - Superpower​

EVs: Attack should always be maxed out to deal the most possible damage. Speed, however, may vary depending on what specific Pokémon should be outsped. 156 Speed EVs is enough to outspeed Mandibuzz with no Speed investment so they don't spam Roost and completely wall Tyranitar. Running 176 Speed EVs allows it to outspeed Adamant Azumarill. Maximum Speed can be run to outspeed Pokémon such as Mega Venusaur, Rotom-W, and defensive Landorus-T. Any remaining EVs go into HP to give Tyranitar some bulk.

Team Options

As stated earlier, you can't just throw this core with any four Pokémon and expect it to work. This core is meant for offensive teams. A Water-resistant Pokémon is needed, as the core itself is weak to the type. Latios is a potential partner, as it's fast and can take away entry hazards, which the core is weak to. Latios is also good because it outspeeds Keldeo, which can be a threat to this core. Ferrothorn can take Water- and Electric-type attacks that also threaten the core. Hazard support is a crucial topic to keep in mind. Zapdos and Latias are also optional Defoggers. Starmie can be used to Rapid Spin away entry hazards while also providing a Water- and Fighting-resistant Pokémon. Garchomp and offensive Landorus-T are good Pokémon to get up your own hazards, which can help with pressuring the opponent. Other Pokémon that apply pressure on the opponent are nice to have too. Keldeo works well, as it resists Water and hits really hard. The core can be paired with VoltTurn support so that Tyranitar or Mega Charizard Y can be brought in safely.

Conclusion

This is an amazing offensive core to use in OU. It can work well versus any playstyle, including stall and hyper offense. You're going to have to play aggressively sometimes, which means making predictions. For example, if the opponent has a Chansey or Latios, they will likely switch it into your Charizard. Knowing this, you can switch in your Tyranitar on your opponent's switch; it can then trap the opponent's Pokémon for a possible KO. It is important to control entry hazards well and keep up the pressure on the opponent as well. Finally, make sure to build around this core carefully because teammates are crucial for it to work.

35. Sobi

PO Trainer Name:
    Sobi
    Nothing wrong with second person, and most, if not all, of the sentences you altered are now passive voice, which takes longer for the reader to process. Will provide examples when I'm off mobile.

36. Annoying Orange

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    i thought the way I typed it was fine tbh. but if you see an issue i guess. I dont think that's an error fix, seems more bias to how one likes reading. I implemented the changes for now however

37. Sobi

PO Trainer Name:
    Sobi
    "Hazard support is a crucial topic to keep in mind" -> "You must keep hazard support in mind", please.

"a crucial topic" sounds rather weird.

38. Annoying Orange

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    I just put it's crucial. i havent even skimmed through all the changes

39. Sobi

PO Trainer Name:
    Sobi
    You put it's a crucial topic - topic is a strange word to use. Unless i'm misunderstanding you, please implement my change or reword

40. Annoying Orange

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    no, here's what I put: "Hazard support is crucial for this core so make sure you keep that in mind"

someone changed what I put.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.