1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Grammar] Pokémon Spotlight: OU - Tapu Bulu [GP 1 / 2]

Discussion in 'Article Review' started by Joyverse, Dec 14, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Joyverse

Joyverse Buon Giorno! Forum Moderator Articles Leader Forum Moderator Articles Leader

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    [​IMG]

Introduction
    Considering it is one of the four Guardian Deities of Alola, it is definitely no joke to face against in the OU tier! Sporting a massive base 130 Attack stat and a solid 115 base Defense stat makes it pretty hard to bring it from the Physical side without strong super-effective moves.This is further backed up by a useful signature ability- Grassy Surge that calls in Grassy Terrain whenever the Pokemon is brought to the field. This slightly heals all grounded Pokemon every turn as well as reduce the effectiveness of the move Earthquake which is a very notable move in competitive Pokemon. Grassy Terrain also boosts its Grass-types moves by 50% which only increases its potential as a wallbreaker. Combine this with moves like Horn Leech, Superpower, Zen Headbutt, Bulk Up and Leech Seed and what we have is a powerful Pokemon that is able to to make the most of its stats and usable movepool.

All isn't fine for this angry guardian though, It extremely exploitable on the Special side due to its low Special Defense, with moves like Ice Beam, Flash Cannon, Sludge Wave, and Fire Blast ever so common in the tier, sometimes it gets hard for it really do enough. And 75 base Speed makes it slower than several of the wallbreakers in the tier. And with almost all of its sets running an Adamant nature, it is very easy to revenge kill if it doesn't happen behind a Substitute.​

Sets

King Crimson (Choice Band)

Tapu Bulu @ Choice Band
    Ability: Grassy Surge
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Wood Hammer
    - Horn Leech
    - Zen Headbutt / Megahorn
    - Superpower / Stone Edge

Choice Band Tapu Bulu is by far the most common and most effective set in the OU tier as very few survive a 2HKO from it with the right move, especially with Stealth Rock on. Wood Hammer is its main STAB and it hits everything not a Steel or Grass for loads of damage. Thanks to Grassy Terrain, it is so powerful that even the Latwins aren't spared from an OHKO after Stealth Rock damage. Horn Leech is another STAB move that does a nifty amount damage all around and help it leech off health from its opponents that it would have lost due to Wood Hammer recoil and otherwise. It is worth noting, that Horn Leech can be replaced with any other of the mentioned coverage moves if recoil isn't too big a problem for the given team.

The following two moveslots help Tapu Bulu to round off its coverage. As Tapu Bulu doesn't have access to Play Rough to fully round off its STAB it has make do of what other coverage it has, and that doesn't disappoint.

Zen Headbutt can be used to get rid of pesky bulky Grass/Poison walls namely- Mega Venusaur and Amoonguss which would otherwise be a full stop to Tapu Bulu as a whole. The move helps it immensely by scoring a 2HKO after Stealth Rock damage. The only thing bad about the move itself that it might miss due to its imperfect accuracy. Megahorn on the other hand takes care of Pokemon like Tangrowth, Celebi, Mew and Cresselia that otherwise take pretty low damage from any other of the moves.

The final slot is reserved for either Superpower or Stone Edge. Superpower wrecks many of the common Steel-types that believe they well tank a hit from this beast. Examples being Celesteela, Ferrothorn, Skarmory and Heatran. Stone Edge is a more or less a lure for the many Fire- and Flying- types that think could otherwise switch into it for very less damage and KO it. Pokemon like that include Mega Charizard X, Mega Charizard Y, Mega Pinsir, Alolan Marowak and Zapdos.

The EVs are pretty straightforward. 252 EVs in Attack with an Adamant nature puts it to 394 Attack, this when boosted with a Choice Band helps it to generate destructive amounts of damage. 252 EVs in Speed puts it to 249 in Speed which gives it enough to outrun most key threats like Adamant Bisharp, Modest Volcanion, Defensive Landorus-T, and walls like Chansey, Tapu Fini, Toxapex and Clefable.

Leech Seed

Tapu Bulu @ Leftovers

EVs: 152 HP / 252 Atk / 104 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Leech Seed
    - Substitute / Bulk Up
    - Horn Leech
    - Brick Break / Superpower

This set makes use of Tapu Bulu's immense physical bulk as a means of setting up multiple Leech Seed to leech off health from passive threats like Pokemon like Chansey, Toxapex, and such.

The next slot has either Bulk Up or Substitute. Bulk Up is there to bolster Tapu Bulu's already high Attack and Defense to nuclear levels and make killing it harder from the Physical side and it also increases Tapu Bulu staying power enabling it to collect more Bulk Up boosts. Substitute can be used in conjunction with Leech Seed and Protect to help stall out most passive threats bar Mega Sableye and Bulky Grass-Types. It also helps it to avoid status from threats like Mega Sableye and Toxapex.

Horn Leech is Tapu Bulu's most reliable STAB in such cases. This furthers its staying ability and hits pretty hard under Grassy Terrain, by the time Grassy Terrain has ended, it would have probably collected enough boosts to keep hitting at a similar pace. It is much more useful if Leech Seed isn't chosen as well.

The final slot can be used for either Brick Break or Superpower. Brick Break is used to reliably hit most Steel-types, like Ferrothorn and Heatran. Brick Break is preferred over Superpower here as the former lacks the stat drops of the latter. However Superpower can be used for the immediate power it provides. And it can be patched up by the Bulk Up boosts if it has it.

The Speed EVs let it hit 212 Speed which lets it outrun Standard Rotom-Wash and anything below. 252 Attacks EVs with an Adamant nature gives it maximum overall damage output. The rest of the EVs are dumped into HP to give it enough bulk to setup Bulk Up.

Other Options
    Choice Band and Bulk Up sets aside, It is also known to function as a fine revenge killer with a Choice Scarf and a Jolly Nature with the same moveset as the Choice Band set. If you prefer more flexibility you can use a Life Orb to switch moves at the cost of losing health every turn. However with Grassy Terrain mildly healing you every turn it is present, it is less punishing on the recoil. You can also opt for an Expert Belt if Life Orb's recoil isn't to your taste and it also helps you to bluff a Choice Band. Nature's Madness can be used to soften would be counters and get into KO range of Wood Hammer in most cases, the most prominent case being against Marowak-A. Taunt is also a useful addition, it helps shut down that depend a lot on non-damaging moves, such as Clefable and Chansey or slow hazard such as Defensive Landorus-T and Skarmory.​

Checks and Counters
    Bulky Grass-Types: Bulky Grass Pokemon like Mega Venusaur, Tangrowth and, Amoonguss are generally full stops to Tapu Bulu unless it has a specified move to dispatch off them. Even then, they are only at most only a 2HKO. With that said bothe Mega Venusaur and Amoonguss can KO it back with Sludge Bomb.

Having teammates like Heatran, Specially Defensive Mandibuzz, Mega Charizard X and Y, and Tapu Lele help taking against these threats.

Bulky Steel-Types: Celesteela and Skarmory has a solid double resistance to Grass and take neutral damage from Stone Edge and Superpower ending up in a chance to 2HKO. Making them pretty great checks if they happen to come on in a resisted move with Tapu Bulu is locked into. They can also can in at full health to dispatch off it with Heavy Slam / Fire Blast and Brave Bird respectively. While Heatran and Ferrothorn don't appreciate coming into a Superpower or a boosted Brick Break, they can still come in on any move and quickly take care of with Lava Plume / Flash Cannon and Gyro Ball.

Magnezone is definitely the best partner when it comes to trapping and dispatching off the Steel-Type threats mentioned above. Heatran, unless with an Air Balloon can be trapped specifically by Dugtrio.

Bulky Fire-Types: Bulky Will-o-Wisp Charizard only truly fears a Stone Edge from Tapu Bulu otherwise it can freely come in any other moves and burn it with Will-o-Wisp. Dragon Dance variants gain free setup turns on resisted hits and make quick work of Tapu Bulu. Mega Charizard Y can come on in any move bar Stone Edge (assuming there aren't any Stealth Rocks on) and OHKO Tapu Bulu with a Fire Blast. Heatran can come on any moves bar Superpower and Brick Break and proceed to OHKO with a Super Effective Fire- or Steel-Type move.

In such cases, Bulky Water-types for teammates are your best bet against these nuclear warheads. Quagsire, Suicune, Azumarill, Tapu Fini can check Charizard X to an extent. The same group can check Heatran as well given it doesn't have Grassium Z or Power Herb with Solar Beam to lure such threats out. Hippowdon also helps to check against Charizard X. Charizard Y can be taken care of with Specially Defensive Toxapex and Chansey. Scarf Tyranitar can Pursuit-trap it downright OHKO it with Stone Edge given it doesn't switch into a Focus Blast. Choice Specs or Choice Scarf Keldeo can take care of these Fire-types with it strong Hydro Pump. The Latwins check Charizard Y as well, and can very well threaten it back with Psyshock.

Offensive Poison-Types: Glass cannons like Gengar and Salazzle have access to the strong Poison-Type moves such as Sludge Bomb and Sludge Wave which can take out Tapu Bulu in one hit, making them useful revenge-killers. However they can't reliably switch in to Tapu Bulu.

Bulky-Ground types like the likes of Gastrodon and Hippowdon have an easier time switching in against and taking care of the aforementioned threats with Earthquake. Scarf Excadrill can revenge-kill these threats as well. Specially Defensive Toxapex is almost always a full stop against these two.​

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  2. E.T.

E.T. OHHHH YES!!! Tier Leader Channel Leader Articles Leader Tier Leader Channel Leader Articles Leader

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    Bumped this back to [Skeleton] because it doesn't have enough structure to be a [WIP] yet.

3. Joyverse

Joyverse Buon Giorno! Forum Moderator Articles Leader Forum Moderator Articles Leader

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Someone help me get the best SubBU/LeechBU spread. Used Choice Scarf, pretty fun, however is it going into OO or a standalone set?
    Other options. AV? EBelt? Terrain Extender? What else?

4. Annoying Orange

Annoying Orange I'm wild. Article Contributor Article Contributor

PO Trainer Name:
    AO / Zelda
    otherwise you can put it as a cool sets to use?

5. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Which one? BU?
    Hmmm.

6. Annoying Orange

PO Trainer Name:
    AO / Zelda
    move 1: Leech Seed
    move 2: Bulk Up / Substitute
    move 3: Horn Leech
    move 4: Brick Break / Protect
    item: Leftovers
    ability: Grassy Surge
    nature: Adamant
    evs: 124 HP / 252 Atk / 132 Spe

Joyverse likes this.
  7. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Advanced this to [WIP].
    Opinions until now? Wording changes and stuff?

8. Annoying Orange

PO Trainer Name:
    AO / Zelda
    of course explaining the next set. other options can be things like cm, life orb etc

9. E.T.

E.T. OHHHH YES!!! Tier Leader Channel Leader Articles Leader Tier Leader Channel Leader Articles Leader

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    You should probably mention that Grassy Terrain boosts the power of Grass-type moves by 50%, which is a contributing factor to why Choice Band Wood Hammer is as strong as it is.

10. Sobi

Sobi To be loved is a strength. To love is a weakness. Article Contributor Article Contributor

PO Trainer Name:
    Sobi
    Please include Team Options as a section as well.

So it should be introduction, set 1 description, set 2, other options, team options, checks and counters.

You can go for checks and counters, then team options, however, if you want to mention what threats you need to consider and then list the Pokemon that can help combat said threats.

11. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Makes sense, however I am pretty sure the past pkmn spotlight didn't have em. I'd add it though. Works better that way unless E.T. tells me not to. ~_~

12. Spoovo The Pirate

Spoovo The Pirate Meep! Article Contributor Article Contributor

Is it worth sacrificing one of the Grass STABs for coverage on the Choice Band set? I mean, it recovers a steady amount from its ability, and losing one STAB means freeing up a moveslot for whatever coverage move you didn't pick in slot 4. I can see why both are used though, so... yeah.

13. E.T.

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    Team Options can be included if there is enough content to be worth mentioning, but it isn't a required section.

I think that the longevity gained by running Horn Leech (as opposed to killing yourself with Wood Hammer recoil) is the reason that it is worth running over coverage moves. Also, coverage moves usually only do a little bit more damage than Wood Hammer barring x4 resistances and Sap Sipper.

14. Sobi

Sobi To be loved is a strength. To love is a weakness. Article Contributor Article Contributor

PO Trainer Name:
    Sobi
    Actually, if you want, you can mention some partners in the Checks and Counters section. So, x beats Tapu Bulu, so y helps with that. Optional, though.

15. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    ^That was what I was planning to do myself, hehe.

16. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Done with CB. Will try to finish it in 2-3 days.

17. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Gonna warp the initial work 2moro!

18. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Welp, I was supposed to finish but alas. Flashing OU council peeps @Finchinator and @gengar17 to help me with the OO and Checks and Counters so I can end my writeup soon af.

19. Annoying Orange

PO Trainer Name:
    AO / Zelda
    i know there's also a cm option

Joyverse likes this.
  20. E.T.

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    I'm not sure about these examples since Skarmory can bop it with Brave Bird or Whirl Wind it away, and Celesteela can roast it with Flamethrower.

These might be better Leech Seed target examples because (assuming Toxapex doesn't have Poison STAB) they seem more like setup bait. They're good Substitute examples too though.

I'm skeptical about trying to progress with only Grass coverage because it seems like there are too many things that could wall and threaten you before you have the chance to set up. For example, Heatran could switch in freely and OHKO you with Magma Storm. I also think that Superpower would still be a better coverage option than Brick Break because the extra BP outweighs the stat drops, and Brick Break without STAB is too weak. For example, with Superpower, you have a 75% chance to OHKO offensive Heatran after Stealth Rock if it tries to switch into you.

I fail to see how outspeeding Adamant Crawdaunt is relevant since you tank anything it can dish out and nullify the damage with Horn Leech.

Mega Scizor can probably be added to the Steel-type list.

21. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Changed the second set a bit. As for the CM set, idk what moves would go for it and such. Also is it really worth using?

This should be done now I guess.

22. Annoying Orange

PO Trainer Name:
    AO / Zelda
    giga drain, gleam, filling move. cm and giga drain in grassy terrain are nice.

23. Spoovo The Pirate

I've seen effective use of Nature's Madness to break through checks?

Cutting half the target's HP regardless of type resistance can really irritate walls

24. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    ?_? I have tried Mature's Nadness on stuff like Koko and Fini but why on Bulu though? Is it worth a spot in OO?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  25. Spoovo The Pirate

To help wear down would-be checks like Celesteela. Its recovery is already limited, so it adds even more pressure.

It also puts a surprising amount of things into KO range for one of its Grass STABs

26. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Fleshed it out a bit more, added in teammate choices. This should be ready for Grammar. Any other thoughts?

27. E.T.

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    I've played around with the Choice Band set, and I think the better moveset would be:

Wood Hammer
    Superpower
    Stone Edge
    Zen Headbutt / Megahorn

The recoil from Wood Hammer isn't a detrimental as I expected, so Horn Leech is probably outweighed by the coverage provided for dealing with Pokemon that quad-resist Grass. You could probably still mention it as an option, but I don't think it necessarily needs to be in the set.

For the Leech Seed set, is Leech Seed actually needed? Rather than choosing between Bulk Up to set up and Substitute to protect you from status, why not do both instead? You give Mega Sableye and Toxapex as examples for Leech Seed targets, but Mega Sableye just bounces it back, and Toxapex only tolerates it if it doesn't have a Poison STAB (I think it usually doesn't, but I don't think it is unviable). In addition, the section seems to assume that you are running Bulk Up in a few places, so it doesn't make sense for it to be slashed. I also still think Superpower is better than Brick Break. Also, Rotom-W is a much better example than Crawdaunt, so that looks good.

Other Options looks okay except that I'm pretty skeptical about the viability of a Calm Mind set. For Checks and Counters, it would probably be better to merge the Grass and Poison sections because Gengar and Salazzle aren't very good "checks" due to how difficult (if not impossible) it is for them to switch in, but I think the teambuilding advice for how to deal with them is a welcome addition. Just be sure to keep things clear after they're merged so that it doesn't sound like you're telling them to switch Gastrodon into Amoongus.

28. Annoying Orange

PO Trainer Name:
    AO / Zelda
  29. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    It increases Bulu's staying power with Grassy Terrain in otherwise offensive archetypes that don't have wish or such kinda support. It can be switched out for any other of the coverage moves but that's how the standard band set is tbh. Made note of that.

It's actually a stranger SubSeed set for the Pokemon. TBH I run SubBU and Leech/Superpower with a Jolly nature until someone pointed me out the standard BU set which is here.

Removing if you want it to. As for the last two, they are more or less of a a passing mention as they both rkill.

30. E.T.

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    Maybe make Horn Leech a slash with each coverage slot? I can see where it can be useful, but I don't think it is mandatory.

The damage output from Brick Break is very pitiful, so it won't be doing much unless you've set up a few times. For example, offensive Heatran with no investment is barely 2HKO'd, but it can OHKO in return. Against Ferrothorn, Brick Break is a 3HKO (more likely a 4HKO with all the recovery going on). By comparison, a +2 Superpower can OHKO Ferrothorn, and offensive Heatran has a 75% chance of being OHKO'd by a neutral Superpower if Stealth Rock is up. I think Superpower at least deserves to be slashed with Brick Break.

Tbh, really don't like the mono-attacking variant of the Leech Seed set because that looks to me like it would be setup bait for too many Pokemon since there are several Grass quad resists (Heatran, Ferrothorn, Mega Scizor, Charizard Y, Volcarona, Dragonite, Mega Venusaur, Kartana, Mega Pinsir, Celesteela, etc). If you had Stealth Rock support, and good way of switching into these Pokemon and scaring them away, it might work, but it is also a good way to get swept if your check gets too weak. Fighting coverage at least helps with Heatran, Ferrothorn, Kartana, and maybe Celesteela after it has been worn down a bit.

If you are going to leave the revenge-killing Pokemon as a standalone section, you should probably at least mention the drawback of relying on revenge killing to KO something—it can simply switch out and come back in later.

The introductory sentence should be changed because the current set is not exclusively a Bulk Up set. It would be better if the same examples aren't repeated here. Definitely don't use Sableye for the Leech Seed example.

31. Spoovo The Pirate

If you're gonna backslash Horn Leech on every slot, it'll look really messy imo. Why not just demote it to set comments if you're gonna do that?

32. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Eh, Stone Edge is atmost a Lure for the fire switchins tbh. Any of the fire types switching in faster than Tapu Bulu is almost every case. I don't think it should have a dedicated slot.

As for the BU set. I am thinking of demoting that to the OO. Maybe someone would do a CSTU on it, like AO had made mention of before. As everytime I attempt to ladder with it, I get mixed opinions on it. People say go for BU, or SubLeech. I heard this so many times that I am myself doubting the viability of the set as I believe that Band trumps any other set of Bulu really.

33. E.T.

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    After playing with it a bit more, I think I'm fine with the current Choice Band set. I may try playing around with the Leech Seed set next. I agree that Choice Band set probably is its best option, but it is okay to discuss the Bulk Up set too. What is it about the Leech Seed that is causing you to have mixed opinions?

34. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    One point has been cleared, Leech will be kept. I was slightly confused with the slot ordering in the analysis here. I can't decide on an optimal ordering of the moves hehehe. I'd prolly keep the current set ig?

35. E.T.

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    Yea that sounds good. Feel free to advance this to [Grammar] unless you still have more to add / edit.

36. E.T.

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    Grammar Check
    [​IMG]

Introduction
    Considering it is one of the four Guardian Deities of Alola, it is definitely no joke to facbattle against in the OU tier! Sporting a massive base 130 Attack stat and a solid 115 base 115 Defense stat makes it pretty hard to bring itTapu Bulu down from the Pphysical side without strong super-effective moves. This is further backed up by a useful signature ability- Grassy Surge that calls in Grassy Terrain whenever the Pokeémon is brought to the field. ThisGrassy Terrain slightly heals all grounded Pokeémon every turn as well as reduces the effectiveness of the move Earthquake, which is a very notable move in competitive Pokeémon. Grassy Terrain also boosts its Grass-types moves by 50%, which only increases itTapu Bulu's potential as a wallbreaker. Combine this with moves like Horn Leech, Superpower, Zen Headbutt, Bulk Up and Leech Seed and what we have is a powerful Pokeémon that is able to to make the most of its stats and usable movepool.

All isn't fine for this angry guardian though,. It is extremely exploitable on the Sspecial side due to its low Special Defense, w. With moves like Ice Beam, Flash Cannon, Sludge Wave, and Fire Blast ever so common in the tier, sometimes it gets hard for itTapu Bulu to really do enough. And 75 base Speed makes it slower than several of the wallbreakers in the tier. A, and with almost all of its sets running an Adamant nature, it is very easy to revenge kill if it doesn't happen behind a Substitute.​

Sets

Tapu Bulu @ Choice Band
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Wood Hammer
    - Horn Leech

Choice Band Tapu Bulu is by far the most common and most effective set in the OU tier, as very few survive a 2HKO from it with the right move, especially with Stealth Rock on the field. Wood Hammer is its main STAB, and it hits everything that is not a Steel- or Grass-type for loads of damage. Thanks to Grassy Terrain, it is so powerful that even the Latwins aren't spared from an OHKO after Stealth Rock damage. Horn Leech is another STAB move that does a nifty amount damage all around and helps it leech off health from its opponents that it would have lost due to Wood Hammer recoil and, otherwise. It is worth noting, that Horn Leech can be replaced with any other of the mentioned coverage moves if recoil isn't too big a problem for the given team.

The following two moveslots help Tapu Bulu to round off its coverage. As Tapu Bulu doesn't have access to Play Rough to fully round off its STAB it has make do of whatwith the other coverage it has, and that doesn't disappoint.

Zen Headbutt can be used to get rid of pesky bulky Grass/Poison walls namely- Mega Venusaur and Amoonguss which would otherwise be a full stop to Tapu Bulu as a whole. The move helps it immensely by scoring a 2HKO after Stealth Rock damage. The only thing bad about the move itself that it might miss due to its imperfect accuracy. Megahorn on the other hand takes care of Pokeémon like Tangrowth, Celebi, Mew, and Cresselia that otherwise take pretty low damage from any other of the moves.

The final slot is reserved for either Superpower or Stone Edge. Superpower wrecks many of the common Steel-types that believe they well tank a hit from this beast. Examples being Celesteela, Ferrothorn, Skarmory and Heatran. Stone Edge is a more or less a lure for the many Fire- and Flying- types that think they could otherwise switch into it for very littless damage and KO it. Stone Edge hits Pokeémon like that include Mega Charizard X, Mega Charizard Y, Mega Pinsir, Alolan Marowak and Zapdos.

The EVs are pretty straightforward. 252 EVs in Attack with an Adamant nature puts it to 394 Attack, thisand when boosted with a Choice Band helps, it to generates destructive amounts of damage. 252 EVs in Speed puts it to 249 in Speed, which gives it enough to outrun most key threats like Adamant Bisharp, Modest Volcanion, Defensive Landorus-T, and walls like Chansey, Tapu Fini, Toxapex, and Clefable.

Leech Seed

Tapu Bulu @ Leftovers

Adamant Nature
    - Leech Seed
    - Substitute / Bulk Up
    - Horn Leech

This set makes use of Tapu Bulu's immense physical bulk as a means of setting up multiple Leech Seed to leech off health from passive threats like Pokeémon like Chansey, and Toxapex, and such.

The next slot has either Bulk Up or Substitute. Bulk Up is there to bolster Tapu Bulu's already high Attack and Defense to nuclear levels and make killing it harder from the Physical side and it. Bulk Up also increases Tapu Bulu staying power, enabling it to collect more Bulk Up boosts. Substitute can be used in conjunction with Leech Seed and Protect to help stall out most passive threats bar Mega Sableye and Bulky Grass-Ttypes. It also helps it to avoid status from threats like Mega Sableye and Toxapex.

Horn Leech is Tapu Bulu's most reliable STAB in such cases. This furthers its staying ability and hits pretty hard under Grassy Terrain, b. By the time Grassy Terrain has ended, it wshould have probably collected enough boosts to keep hitting at a similar pace. It is much more useful if Leech Seed isn't chosen as well.

The final slot can be used for either Brick Break or Superpower. Brick Break is used to reliably hit most Steel-types, like Ferrothorn and Heatran. Brick Break is preferred over Superpower here as the former lacks the stat drops of the latter. However, Superpower can be used for the immediate power it provides. A, and it can be patched up by the Bulk Up boosts if it has it.

The Speed EVs let it hit 212 Speed, which lets it outrun Sstandard Rotom-Wash and anything below. 252 Attacks EVs with an Adamant nature gives it maximum overall damage output. The rest of the EVs are dumped into HP to give it enough bulk to set up Bulk Up.

Other Options
    Choice Band and Bulk Up sets aside, ItTapu Bulu is also known to function as a fine revenge killer with a Choice Scarf and a Jolly Nature with the same moveset as the Choice Band set. If you prefer more flexibility you can use a Life Orb to switch moves at the cost of losing health every turn. However, with Grassy Terrain mildly healing you every turn it is present, it is less punishing on the recoil. You can also opt for an Expert Belt if Life Orb's recoil isn't to your taste and it also helps you to bluff a Choice Band. Nature's Madness can be used to soften would be counters and get into KO range of Wood Hammer in most cases, the most prominent case being against Marowak-A. Taunt is also a useful addition,; it helps shut down Pokémon that depend a lot on non-damaging moves, such as Clefable and Chansey, or slow hazard setters, such as Defensive Landorus-T and Skarmory.​

Checks and Counters
    Bulky Grass-Types: Bulky Grass Pokeémon like Mega Venusaur, Tangrowth, and, Amoonguss are generally full stops to Tapu Bulu unless it has a specifiedcoverage move to dispatch off them. Even then, they are only at most only a 2HKO'd. With that said, bothe Mega Venusaur and Amoonguss can KO it back with Sludge Bomb.

Having teammates like Heatran, Specially Defensive Mandibuzz, Mega Charizard X and Y, and Tapu Lele help taking against these threats.

Bulky Steel-Types: Celesteela and Skarmory hasve a solid double resistance to Grass and take neutral damage from Stone Edge and Superpower, ending up in a chance to 2HKO. M, making them pretty great checks if they happen to come on iswitch in on a resisted move withich Tapu Bulu is locked into. They can also can in aAt full health, Celesteela and Skarmory can dispatch off itTapu Bulu with Heavy Slam / Fire Blast and Brave Bird, respectively. While Heatran and Ferrothorn don't appreciate coming into a Superpower or a boosted Brick Break, they can still come in on any move and quickly take care of Tapu Bulu with Lava Plume / Flash Cannon and Gyro Ball, respectively.

Magnezone is definitely the best partner when it comes to trapping and dispatching off the Steel-Ttype threats mentioned above. Heatran, unless with an Air Balloon, can be trapped specifically by Dugtrio.

Bulky Fire-Types: Bulky Will-oO-Wisp Charizard only truly fears a Stone Edge from Tapu Bulu; otherwise, it can freely come in any other moves and burn it with Will-oO-Wisp. Dragon Dance variants gain free setup turns on resisted hits and make quick work of Tapu Bulu. Mega Charizard Y can come on iswitch in on any move bar Stone Edge (assuming there aren't any Stealth Rock isn't on the field) and OHKO Tapu Bulu with a Fire Blast. Heatran can comeswitch in on any moves bar Superpower and Brick Break and proceed to OHKO with a Ssuper Eeffective Fire- or Steel-Ttype move.

In such cases, Bulky Water-types for teammates are your best bet against these nuclear warheads. Quagsire, Suicune, Azumarill, and Tapu Fini can check Charizard X to an extent. The same group can check Heatran as well given it doesn't have Grassium Z or Power Herb with Solar Beam to lure such threats out. Hippowdon also helps to check against Charizard X. Charizard Y can be taken care of with Specially Defensive Toxapex and Chansey. Scarf Tyranitar can Pursuit-trap it or downright OHKO it with Stone Edge given it doesn't switch into a Focus Blast. Choice Specs or Choice Scarf Keldeo can take care of these Fire-types with its strong Hydro Pump. The Latwins check Charizard Y as well, and can very well threaten it back with Psyshock.

Offensive Poison-Ttypes: Glass cannons like Gengar and Salazzle have access to the strong Poison-Ttype moves, such as Sludge Bomb and Sludge Wave, which can take out Tapu Bulu in one hit, making them useful revenge-killers. However, they can't reliably switch in to Tapu Bulu.

Bulky- Ground -types like the likes of Gastrodon and Hippowdon have an easier time switching in against and taking care of the aforementioned threats with Earthquake. Scarf Excadrill can revenge-kill these threats as well. Specially Defensive Toxapex is almost always a full stop against these two.​

Copy and Paste
    [​IMG]

Introduction
    Considering it is one of the four Guardian Deities of Alola, it is definitely no joke to battle against in the OU tier! Sporting a massive base 130 Attack stat and a solid base 115 Defense stat makes it pretty hard to bring Tapu Bulu down from the physical side without strong super-effective moves. This is further backed up by a useful signature ability—Grassy Surge—that calls in Grassy Terrain whenever the Pokémon is brought to the field. Grassy Terrain slightly heals all grounded Pokémon every turn as well as reduces the effectiveness of the move Earthquake, which is a very notable move in competitive Pokémon. Grassy Terrain also boosts Grass-type moves by 50%, which only increases Tapu Bulu's potential as a wallbreaker. Combine this with moves like Horn Leech, Superpower, Zen Headbutt, Bulk Up and Leech Seed and what we have is a powerful Pokémon that is able to to make the most of its stats and usable movepool.

All isn't fine for this angry guardian though. It is extremely exploitable on the special side due to its low Special Defense. With moves like Ice Beam, Flash Cannon, Sludge Wave, and Fire Blast ever so common in the tier, sometimes it gets hard for Tapu Bulu to really do enough. 75 base Speed makes it slower than several of the wallbreakers in the tier, and with almost all of its sets running an Adamant nature, it is very easy to revenge kill if it doesn't happen behind a Substitute.​

Sets

Tapu Bulu @ Choice Band
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Wood Hammer
    - Horn Leech

Choice Band Tapu Bulu is by far the most common and most effective set in the OU tier, as very few survive a 2HKO from it with the right move, especially with Stealth Rock on the field. Wood Hammer is its main STAB, and it hits everything that is not a Steel- or Grass-type for loads of damage. Thanks to Grassy Terrain, it is so powerful that even the Latwins aren't spared from an OHKO after Stealth Rock damage. Horn Leech is another STAB move that does a nifty amount damage all around and helps it leech off health from its opponents that it would have lost due to Wood Hammer recoil, otherwise. It is worth noting that Horn Leech can be replaced with any other of the mentioned coverage moves if recoil isn't too big a problem for the given team.

The following two moveslots help Tapu Bulu to round off its coverage. As Tapu Bulu doesn't have access to Play Rough to fully round off its STAB it has make do with the other coverage it has, and that doesn't disappoint.

Zen Headbutt can be used to get rid of pesky bulky Grass/Poison walls—namely Mega Venusaur and Amoonguss—which would otherwise be a full stop to Tapu Bulu as a whole. The move helps it immensely by scoring a 2HKO after Stealth Rock damage. The only thing bad about the move itself that it might miss due to its imperfect accuracy. Megahorn on the other hand takes care of Pokémon like Tangrowth, Celebi, Mew, and Cresselia that otherwise take pretty low damage from any other of the moves.

The final slot is reserved for either Superpower or Stone Edge. Superpower wrecks many of the common Steel-types that believe they well tank a hit from this beast. Examples being Celesteela, Ferrothorn, Skarmory and Heatran. Stone Edge is more or less a lure for the many Fire- and Flying-types that think they could otherwise switch into it for little damage and KO it. Stone Edge hits Pokémon like Mega Charizard X, Mega Charizard Y, Mega Pinsir, Alolan Marowak and Zapdos.

The EVs are pretty straightforward. 252 EVs in Attack with an Adamant nature puts it to 394 Attack, and when boosted with a Choice Band, it generates destructive amounts of damage. 252 EVs in Speed puts it to 249 in Speed, which gives it enough to outrun most key threats like Adamant Bisharp, Modest Volcanion, Defensive Landorus-T, and walls like Chansey, Tapu Fini, Toxapex, and Clefable.

Leech Seed

Tapu Bulu @ Leftovers

Adamant Nature
    - Leech Seed
    - Substitute / Bulk Up
    - Horn Leech

This set makes use of Tapu Bulu's immense physical bulk as a means of setting up multiple Leech Seed to leech off health from passive Pokémon like Chansey and Toxapex.

The next slot has either Bulk Up or Substitute. Bulk Up is there to bolster Tapu Bulu's already high Attack and Defense to nuclear levels and make killing it harder from the Physical side. Bulk Up also increases Tapu Bulu staying power, enabling it to collect more Bulk Up boosts. Substitute can be used in conjunction with Leech Seed and Protect to help stall out most passive threats bar Mega Sableye and Bulky Grass-types. It also helps it to avoid status from threats like Mega Sableye and Toxapex.

Horn Leech is Tapu Bulu's most reliable STAB in such cases. This furthers its staying ability and hits pretty hard under Grassy Terrain. By the time Grassy Terrain has ended, it should have collected enough boosts to keep hitting at a similar pace. It is much more useful if Leech Seed isn't chosen as well.

The final slot can be used for either Brick Break or Superpower. Brick Break is used to reliably hit most Steel-types, like Ferrothorn and Heatran. Brick Break is preferred over Superpower here as the former lacks the stat drops of the latter. However, Superpower can be used for the immediate power it provides, and it can be patched up by the Bulk Up boosts if it has it.

The Speed EVs let it hit 212 Speed, which lets it outrun standard Rotom-Wash and anything below. 252 Attack EVs with an Adamant nature gives it maximum overall damage output. The rest of the EVs are dumped into HP to give it enough bulk to set up Bulk Up.

Other Options
    Choice Band and Bulk Up sets aside, Tapu Bulu is also known to function as a fine revenge killer with a Choice Scarf and a Jolly Nature with the same moveset as the Choice Band set. If you prefer more flexibility you can use a Life Orb to switch moves at the cost of losing health every turn. However, with Grassy Terrain mildly healing you every turn it is present, it is less punishing on the recoil. You can also opt for an Expert Belt if Life Orb's recoil isn't to your taste and it also helps you to bluff a Choice Band. Nature's Madness can be used to soften would be counters and get into KO range of Wood Hammer in most cases, the most prominent case being against Marowak-A. Taunt is also a useful addition; it helps shut down Pokémon that depend a lot on non-damaging moves, such as Clefable and Chansey, or slow hazard setters, such as Defensive Landorus-T and Skarmory.​

Checks and Counters
    Bulky Grass-Types: Bulky Grass Pokémon like Mega Venusaur, Tangrowth, and Amoonguss are generally full stops to Tapu Bulu unless it has a coverage move to dispatch them. Even then, they are only at most 2HKO'd. With that said, both Mega Venusaur and Amoonguss can KO it back with Sludge Bomb.

Bulky Steel-Types: Celesteela and Skarmory have a solid double resistance to Grass and take neutral damage from Stone Edge and Superpower, ending up in a chance to 2HKO, making them pretty great checks if they happen to switch in on a resisted move which Tapu Bulu is locked into. At full health, Celesteela and Skarmory can dispatch Tapu Bulu with Heavy Slam / Fire Blast and Brave Bird, respectively. While Heatran and Ferrothorn don't appreciate coming into a Superpower or a boosted Brick Break, they can still come in on any move and quickly take care of Tapu Bulu with Lava Plume / Flash Cannon and Gyro Ball, respectively.

Magnezone is definitely the best partner when it comes to trapping and dispatching the Steel-type threats mentioned above. Heatran, unless with an Air Balloon, can be trapped specifically by Dugtrio.

Bulky Fire-Types: Bulky Will-O-Wisp Charizard only truly fears a Stone Edge from Tapu Bulu; otherwise, it can freely come in any other moves and burn it with Will-O-Wisp. Dragon Dance variants gain free setup turns on resisted hits and make quick work of Tapu Bulu. Mega Charizard Y can switch in on any move bar Stone Edge (assuming Stealth Rock isn't on the field) and OHKO Tapu Bulu with a Fire Blast. Heatran can switch in on any moves bar Superpower and Brick Break and proceed to OHKO with a super effective Fire- or Steel-type move.

In such cases, Bulky Water-types for teammates are your best bet against these nuclear warheads. Quagsire, Suicune, Azumarill, and Tapu Fini can check Charizard X to an extent. The same group can check Heatran as well given it doesn't have Grassium Z or Power Herb with Solar Beam to lure such threats out. Hippowdon also helps to check against Charizard X. Charizard Y can be taken care of with Specially Defensive Toxapex and Chansey. Scarf Tyranitar can Pursuit-trap it or downright OHKO it with Stone Edge given it doesn't switch into a Focus Blast. Choice Specs or Choice Scarf Keldeo can take care of these Fire-types with its strong Hydro Pump. The Latwins check Charizard Y as well, and can very well threaten it back with Psyshock.

Offensive Poison-types: Glass cannons like Gengar and Salazzle have access to the strong Poison-type moves, such as Sludge Bomb and Sludge Wave, which can take out Tapu Bulu in one hit, making them useful revenge-killers. However, they can't reliably switch in to Tapu Bulu.

Bulky Ground-types like Gastrodon and Hippowdon have an easier time switching in against and taking care of the aforementioned threats with Earthquake. Scarf Excadrill can revenge-kill these threats as well. Specially Defensive Toxapex is almost always a full stop against these two.​

GP 1 / 2