1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Player Interview: Mister Tim

Discussion in 'Articles' started by E.T., Jan 5, 2017.

Moderators: E.T.
  1. E.T.

E.T. Proud Member Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    [​IMG]

It's time for another Player Interview! In this edition, we interview @Mister Tim, who is the current RBY OU Gym Leader for the PO League, which consists of a series of Gyms that are based on different tiers, and players can challenge these Gyms to earn Gym Badges, which are needed to reach the Elite Four and Champion. @Mister Tim is well known in the RBY community as a long-time RBY player with ample experience in the tier.

1. How did you first discover PO?

I was invited to play by my old friend Parky while we were playing one Russian MMO game that was based on Pokémon (now Nintendo found it and this game can't use Pokémon pictures or names). Then, I found a good Russian Pokémon community called Pokécenter, where I met Kalashnolov, if anyone remembers him). With these guys, I became a big PO client user.

2. How long have you been playing RBY OU?

I've been playing RBY OU since 2012, when we made a RBY tour to find good RBY players in Russia. I played one round in POWC, won against SteelEdges, and lost to Mibuchiha.

3. How does it feel to be a RBY OU Gym Leader?

You know, my Gym is not very popular, and I can't say that it's hard to be a Gym Leader, but the title of one means that I must play against challengers and do my best not only for my win, but also to tell them about some weird mechanics (like Counter) and give some advice about teambuilding and moves.

4. Have there been any memorable Gym matches so far that you'd like to recall?

Cuz my Gym is unpopular, I don't have memorable matches except my second match versus Melle2402, where my Clefable swept him away (Clefable is a RBY LU Pokémon, and I was trying to play with not top, but interesting teams).

5. What is your favorite and least favorite RBY OU Pokemon and why?

My favourite RBY OU Pokémon is Tauros thanks to its high Speed and Attack stats. My least favorite Pokémon is Snorlax with Amnesia / Rest / Body Slam / Reflect.

6. What is your favorite conventional and favorite unconventional Pokémon to use in RBY OU?

I like Electric-type Pokémon, like Zapdos and Jolteon. My favorite unconventional Pokémon is Kingler because it functions similar to Tauros when the foe is paralyzed.

7. What are your general thoughts on the RBY OU metagame? Do you like RBY OU better as it is now, or did you prefer it back when Body Slam could paralyze Normal-types?

Through the years, the metagame has changed; a few years ago, everybody played a lot with Slowbro and Golem. Sometimes, we saw Psychic-type-core teams (Starmie / Alakazam / Jynx and the Big 4); some players tried to avoid using Snorlax and replaced it with Golem or Articuno, for example. After the Body Slam mechanic discovery, the game became less hax-like, as it was before in some mirror situations like Tauros versus Tauros, in which luck was a major deciding factor.

8. What would you say/do to a conventional competitive Pokémon player to get them interested in RBY OU?

RBY OU is more like chess than other Pokémon tiers, cuz you are using a pool of 15-20 Pokémon. In this tier, your mindgames are more important than your luck or if you got counterteamed like in new generations. You just need to play more and face good opponents. We have got a very healthy RBY community on Pokémon Perfect, which has forged a lot of great RBY players.

9. If you could be a Gym Leader for a different tier, which tier would you choose?

BW2 or ADV OU; they are my favorite generations.

10. Is there anything else that you would like to say to our readers?

Thanks for reading; I hope you enjoyed it.
    P.S. Challenge my Gym more, pls!!!

Thanks, @Mister Tim, for sharing your experience with our readers, and good luck in your future RBY battles! This edition of Player Interview is coming to an end, but there will be more to come. To nominate players to be interviewed, post here or contact @E.T. on the PO forums.

Mister Tim - For Being Interviewed
    E.T. - Writer, Questions, Grammar
    Joyverse - Questions
    Sobi - Grammar
    JoyFrost - Artist

Do you want to contribute to Articles too? Here's How to Become an Articles Contributor.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    Binix, Lutra, Edna and 3 others like this.
Moderators: E.T.