1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Cloudflare Security Issue - Change Your Passwords!

Hello there, Guest!

Cloudflare, the internet proxy we use to protect ourselves against DDoS and other malicious attacks, reported on 23rd February 2017 that they had patched a bug reported by Google's Project Zero that was exposing sensitive information in random requests, approximately 0.00003% of all requests, since September 2016.

Whilst it is unlikely that any information has been leaked from this website, we recommend that all users change their passwords here on the Pokémon Online forums, as a precaution. Remember to use a unique and secure password for every site that requires one.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Dismiss Notice

Cool Sets To Use: Ubers - Choice Specs Yveltal

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Mysterious M, Jan 7, 2017.

Moderators: E.T.
  1. Mysterious M

Mysterious M Dream /\ Bigger Tier Leader Tier Leader

[​IMG]
    Yveltal @ Choice Specs
    Ability: Dark Aura
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Timid / Modest Nature (+Spd / +SAtk, -Atk)
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Dark Pulse
    - Oblivion Wing
    - U-turn / Hurricane
    - Heat Wave / Focus Blast

Yveltal, or commonly known between Ubers players as "The Y-God", has proven to be much better in SM Ubers thanks to Dark-types' immunity to Prankster, therefore making one of the Pokémon that walled Yveltal in the past, Klefki, now useless.

Yveltal has a high base 131 Special Attack and base 99 Speed, which make it a potential top metagame threat. Choice Specs gives Yveltal the chance to 2HKO any of its checks while letting it deal insane amounts of damage to anything else.

The EVs are pretty straight forward; maximum Speed and maximum Special Attack investment is used so Yveltal can deal as much damage as possible. The nature depends on the user: Modest can be used to get more damage and, in some cases, OHKOs against certain checks, though you can opt for Timid so that Yveltal can outspeed maximum Speed Rayquaza, Solgaleo, and Lunala.

Let's now see the set in more depth. Dark Pulse and Oblivion Wing are Yveltal's primary STAB moves, with the former being the strongest Dark-type move in the game after getting boosted by Dark Aura while having the opportunity to cause the foe to flinch and the latter having the amazing side effect of recovering 75% of the damage done to the foe, giving Yveltal some longevity.

After these two pretty standard choices, the last two slots are debatable. One can use U-turn so that Yveltal can pivot from the opponent's switch-ins and create momentum. While it deals little damage, it helps get a free switch. Hurricane can be used for some extra damage and to guarantee a 2HKO on Pokémon such as Arceus-Fairy and Xerneas, the former taking around 63% and the latter around 75%. However, its poor accuracy makes it really tricky and dangerous to use. Focus Blast helps deal with Tyranitar and Arceus-Dark, the former being OHKOed by Modest Yveltal and the latter 2HKOed. Last but not least, Heat Wave can help against Magearna, a pretty popular Yveltal check, which Heat Wave 2HKOes.

Moving on, this set faces some difficulties against Blissey and Chansey, since both of them are only 3HKOed by Focus Blast. Another Pokémon that walls this set is Ho-Oh, with Oblivion Wing only getting a 3HKO as well. This is why Yveltal appreciates certain teammates. U-turn lets Mega Gengar switch in, trap any of the aforementioned checks bar Chansey and Blissey, and KO them. A Taunt variant of Mega Gengar can deal with these two. Xerneas and Arceus-Fairy can help against the Dark-types that wall Yveltal, while Magearna can deal with both Dark- and Fairy-types. Apart from that, offensively, a Swords Dance variant of Arceus-Ground can be used to KO Ho-Oh with Stone Edge or deal a great amount of damage to some Yveltal checks, such as Tyranitar, Chansey, Blissey, and specially defensive Primal Groudon.

Yveltal did not have quite a great place in ORAS Ubers, but due to the typing advantage it now gets against newcomers Lunala and Solgaleo, it is going to have a bigger impact in SM Ubers. This set can cause a lot of troubles to any kind of archetype, and I strongly suggest you try it out!

Mysterious M - Writer
    Sobi - QC, Grammar
    Annoying Orange - Artist
    Joyverse - QC
    E.T. - QC
    RedJoker25 - Grammar

Do you want to contribute to Articles too? Here's How to Become an Articles Contributor.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2017
    E.T., Annoying Orange and Joyverse like this.
  2. Annoying Orange

Annoying Orange sweet creature Social Media Rep Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    "the former being OHKOed by Adamant Yveltal and the latter 2HKOed."
    may wanna fix adamant

Mysterious M likes this.
  3. Professor Oak

Professor Oak Pimp Hand Strong Forum Administrator Server Owner Social Media Rep Forum Administrator Server Owner Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Professor Oak
    For some reason, I never thought about using Specs Yveltal before now. I really like it. Totally gonna try using it!

Mysterious M likes this.
  4. Mysterious M

I am glad this article served its purpose :)

5. Joyverse

Joyverse Road Roller time! Article Contributor Article Contributor

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Imma RMT your Specs YGod + MGar team cuz I'm bad.

JK, I won't! :> Good article is good. I expect more Ubers oriented articles from you. Work hard!

6. Troller

Troller Lucky and Bad

PO Trainer Name:
    Troller
    Mysterious M and E.T. like this.
  7. Joyverse

Joyverse Road Roller time! Article Contributor Article Contributor

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Conspiracy or not. I am still lolling at the fact the posts have a gap of exactly one year.

With all that said, I am not sure whether or not to give a person mention over a set that has passed onto a new gen. Wait a bit as @E.T. should have a say.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  8. E.T.

E.T. Proud Member Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    I remember Choice Specs Yveltal existing as early as XY, shortly after Yveltal was introduced, so no, Troller didn't invent it in that RMT. I can see how the timing could lead to conspiracy theories though.

Annoying Orange likes this.
  9. Annoying Orange

Annoying Orange sweet creature Social Media Rep Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    I was about to say lol. I am almost certain you didn't invent Specs Yveltal.

10. Spoovo The Pirate

Spoovo The Pirate Meep! Article Contributor Article Contributor

I doubt you can claim the invention of something as simple as 'Choice Specs [insert Pokémon here]'. I mean, by definition it isn't inventive, because almost any Pokémon can use a Choice Specs lol

11. Mysterious M

I dont get why you actually answered to his comment, it is an obvious joke. Also the article is not about innovating sets rather than showcasing less used sets that can actually work in SM Ubers!

12. Troller

Troller Lucky and Bad

PO Trainer Name:
    Troller
    Not even with a name like that people understand jokes

i guess next time i will write (JOKE) under spoiler

sad/10

Mysterious M likes this.
Moderators: E.T.