1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question of The Day! (QoTD, Thread 3) (7/22&23/17 qs up)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Joeypals!!, Jan 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joeypals!!

Joeypals!! Don't you worry 'bout a thing~

PO Trainer Name:
    Joeypals
    Ooooops we broke the reply limit again! That's OK though, we'll just carry over in this thread! If you want to see the thread that started this whole trend, click right here for that. If that's not your speed and you want something ore recent, check out this thread here! And now for a c/p'd intro with a new picture.

[​IMG]

Hi everyone, welcome to the QoTD thread! Basically, what this thread will be aiming for is posing a new question every day and seeing what the answers are. Think of it as an ice breaker game of sorts, but it never stops and you can be as silly as you want. Feel free to post up to three answers per day, whether that be in one post or in multiple during the day. I'll be updating the question every day at 11AM CDT/CST (depending on time of the year), so swing back daily to see the new q!

The new question will always be linked in this line, so click it!

Question for January 7th, 2017:If you could summarize the premise of South Park in one sentence for a 10-year old, how would you describe it for them?

Question for January 8th, 2017: What is the most overrated snack food?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
    Hassin627 likes this.
  2. o c:

o c: Kittyloaf

QOTD Jan 7th
    "Friendly faces everywhere humble folks without temptation "

QOTD Jan 8th
    "Pocky"

Also, it's 2017.

Joeypals!! likes this.
  3. Veteran Padgett

Veteran Padgett Active Member Developer Developer

PO Trainer Name:
    Veteran Padgett
    Trailmix. Has cool stuff like m&ms and bite sized pretzels, but the rest belongs in the trash.

Joeypals!! likes this.
  4. Edna

Edna I'm like Cinderella with an umbrella Tier Leader Tier Leader

PO Trainer Name:
    Edna
    Oh no they killed Kenny, you bastard!

I don't like Subway, but no clue if you include it as snack!

DracoNova and Joeypals!! like this.
  5. Professor Oak

Professor Oak Pimp Hand Strong Forum Administrator Server Owner Social Media Rep Forum Administrator Server Owner Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Professor Oak
    Go to bed, you can watch this in a few years' time.

I'd probably say crisps / potato chips. Most bags are 95% air and 5% actual food, others have had their flavours reduced or removed to save costs. I find myself actively seeking things to snack on that aren't crisps as a result. I usually snack on anything that's meat tbh lol

Joeypals!! likes this.
  6. Zoroark

Zoroark Awoo Forum Moderator Server Moderator Forum Moderator Server Moderator

PO Trainer Name:
    SkyPhoenix / Zoroark
    Pringles :v

Joeypals!! likes this.
  7. Joeypals!!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joeypals
    Good answer for both questions lol

Zoroark likes this.
  8. DracoNova

DracoNova Cherlene's #1 fan

PO Trainer Name:
    DracoNova
    First question: cartman you fatass
    Second question:lays

Edna and Joeypals!! like this.
  9. Annoying Orange

Annoying Orange sweet creature Server Moderator Social Media Rep Server Moderator Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    Jan 7th
    I member when cartman said fuck and bitch 83 times an episode. Oh and member when Kenny was alive?
    Jan 8th
    maybe nutella or takis

Joeypals!! likes this.
  10. Joyverse

Joyverse Toki wo tomare!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Q for 8th.

Mfuckin' Jalebis.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    Hassin627 likes this.
  11. Dominique-XLR

Dominique-XLR I'm a simple man. I see boobs, I like.

I don't have an answer I just came here to follow the new thread and say PO forums suck.

Professor Oak and Joeypals!! like this.
  12. Joeypals!!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joeypals
    Question for January 9th, 2017: If you could change any one thing about Safari (you know, the server channel that killed Mafia), what would it be?

13. Zoroark

Zoroark Awoo Forum Moderator Server Moderator Forum Moderator Server Moderator

PO Trainer Name:
    SkyPhoenix / Zoroark
    Am I really limited to change one thing? Screw that:
    -The people that play it.
    -The goddamn statues at Pyramid.
    -The shit themes.
    -The dumb ball/photo cooldown effect due to Rock Stunning.
    -The dumb 60 second cooldown when using /price command.
    -Deleting all the Rayquaza bought with Silver Coins and return the Silver Coins to the buyers.
    -Changing the shared IP rule so it's only limited to 1 player per IP, no exceptions allowed.
    -Mono Ball's mechanics.
    -Remove Ball Fragment.
    -Remove Master Ball's limit.
    -Add Safari Challenge Blockers.
    I'd keep going and going but I'm leaving it like this.

14. Edna

PO Trainer Name:
    Edna
    Implement Mafia into it :3

15. Annoying Orange

Annoying Orange sweet creature Server Moderator Social Media Rep Server Moderator Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    if i could change anything about safari, id change the fact that it started existing

16. Professor Oak

Professor Oak Pimp Hand Strong Forum Administrator Server Owner Social Media Rep Forum Administrator Server Owner Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Professor Oak
    this is the correct answer

17. Veteran Padgett

PO Trainer Name:
    Veteran Padgett
    Event Blackjack and Evolution Game

18. Cheezeburgar

Cheezeburgar supreme mafia admiral

PO Trainer Name:
    Sauce Castillo

Joeypals!!, Hassin627 and Zoroark like this.
  19. Joyverse

Joyverse Toki wo tomare!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Make Safari the new Tohjo and *boop* more people come into PO to catch pogeymanz. Thus satisfying all the newbies asking how to "Catch Pokemon" here.

Otherwise, no word describes my feeling when it comes to Safari. So don't even wish to change shit.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    Hassin627 and Joeypals!! like this.
  20. Dominique-XLR

Dominique-XLR I'm a simple man. I see boobs, I like.

Greedy Tryhards and Richie Douchebagginsons.

This fuckers need to be heavily taxed irl. Maybe live a decade or two under hardcore communist regime.

Boyverse you are wrong, Tohjo was the old Safari.

Joeypals!! likes this.
  21. Joeypals!!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joeypals
    Question for January 11th, 2017: Let's keep the ball rolling with channel improvements! If you could improve Mafia, how would you go about it?

22. Edna

PO Trainer Name:
    Edna
    Make themes easier!

23. Veteran Padgett

PO Trainer Name:
    Veteran Padgett
  24. Hassin627

Hassin627 feels dank man

PO Trainer Name:
    Hassin627/dank jesus
    Remobe the game altogether

25. o c:

o c: Kittyloaf

Make it easier for mobile users to play. Going on what I've been told Android user's have a hard time playing it (though I've personally never tried it) but if it's as they say, it would be nice to play another side channel besides #Hangman or #Tournaments.

Joeypals!! likes this.
  26. Annoying Orange

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    there's some people I'd like to never play mafia again. I think it'd be beneficial to everyone.

Joeypals!! likes this.
  27. Cheezeburgar

Cheezeburgar supreme mafia admiral

PO Trainer Name:
    Sauce Castillo
    id make cheeseburger ma

28. Professor Oak

PO Trainer Name:
    Professor Oak
    Short answer: Better quality control and team balancing on themes, and a higher emphasis on ease of use. In line with the latter, the difficulty level of themes should be displayed, in order to make sure users know what they are getting themselves in for.

Long answer:
    Quality control and team balancing can be quite hard, especially when themes can have varying amounts of players for each faction, and various factions that don't show up until very large numbers of people are in the game. Very few themes do it very well, and are able to use their data for consistent analysis for additional balancing.

For example, DNR is literally 41-40 for faction wins as I type this, with almost identical average players for each winning side, making it a good theme to be able to tell if either side is overpowered. This might be a contributing factor to DNR being the most played theme since the server came online after the Gen 7 update.

In comparison, the Kirby theme has team Kirby's data grouped between small and large games, which makes the 37 wins for it vs Dark Matter's 10, MKA's 6 and DDD's 3 all a little bit suspicious. Splitting it into 2 Kirby groups based on player number to ease data collection might be able to help balance issues.

Anyway, further analysis of the information shows that 5-player Kirby games have Kirby teams winning 12 times, with Dark Matter only winning 4 times, a notable difference. 7-player games are just as bad, with Kirby teams winning 11 out of the 13 games played with 7 players, MKA and DDD winning one each. Using the stats to determine better ways to balance even the smaller games, especially with a relatively small userbase, can help to make the game more enjoyable and fair, and can make people actively enjoy mafia more.

Zelda's stats are quite bad too, if you actually look at them. 3 player games, which are almost always just luck-based, are a simple Skull Kid 3 - Hyrule 2 scoreline. 4 player games are less luck-based, but have a similar result currently, with Wind Mage winning 3, and Hyrule losing 2. With those removed from the stats, here are the win totals: Hyrule 15, Gerudo 13, Wind Mage 5. Looks a little bit unfair from then on, doesn't it?

The rest of this data has the wins listed in the following order: Hyrule, Gerudo, Wind Mage.
    5-player games seem okay, with a 3, 2, 1 score. The odds do seem stacked against Vaati though, as he needs to get Ganon killed by Link or voted out, or he cannot win.
    6-player games introduces another citizen, which furthers Vaati's troubles with a 4, 4, 0 score.
    7-player games gives Vaati his first minion. This helps him to outvote Ganon, gives his team 2 kills, and actually gives him a better win chance. This is reflected in the score: 4, 1, 3. It would seem to be that Ganon is struggling to break a faction that outvotes him, and a faction that can outvote him, kill him and stop his kills.
    8-player games are the final type to have more than 1-2 games, and it adds Tingle to the mix. Tingle's only use is stopping Vaati's minion from killing at this playercount, but potentially also giving Link the information on who the Wind Mage team members are. It seems to be damning for the Wing Mage team, as the score at this point is 3, 3, 0.
    The other games have Hyrule winning 1, Gerudo winning 3, and Wind Mage winning 1.
    Even these limited stats can show some flaws in the earlier games, and show how to be able to change the theme to improve it.

ZOLDA was made to try and balance out the issues with Zelda, but having only been played 7 times since the server came back online, we can't get a solid result from it. It is worth noting that Hyrule has won 4 of those times, with each other faction winning once each, however.

Ease of use is pretty simple: pick it up, and easily understand the roles. DNR is a bad example of this one, and this is why it should be tagged with an "expert" difficulty or something like that. By comparison, anyone who has played mafia before will understand "Default", so that should be tagged with an "easy" difficulty. Something like Zelda or Final Fantasy with relatively easy-to-learn roles should probably also be easy.

Additionally, further emphasis should be on welcoming users, not getting angry when someone fucks up. We've gotta teach new people somehow, and Mafia Tutoring only goes so far without actually playing the themes themselves.

29. Whereabouts Unknown

Whereabouts Unknown Absolutely Stunning

PO Trainer Name:
    Miki Sayaka
    Remove all themes that aren't Zelda, in order to increase our game sizes and improve accessibility for new players!

In seriousness though, I've been trying to make Mafia more accessible for Android for a while. Midway was working on links for Android, but it still seems to have complications based on versions (like the most recent version doesn't work for all links, but older versions don't have full link functionality either). I could use a couple people with access to Android on the most recent version wants to help me figure out the problems, so please send a PM if you think you have an idea for how it could be improved / can help test.

We had this for a while, and technically still do. For the team balancing, QA reworked several popular themes, including FF and Body, and completely remade Default because their previous iterations had varying degrees of balance issues. Unfortunately, QA is mainly Fate and myself, sometimes Joeypals or Karp or other MAs/former MAs, with the only other theme maker I can think of who is still consistently active is Yttrium, and we simply don't have the time to do it for every theme. If there was interest, we would reopen QA.

For the latter point, we actually do have a difficulty indexing in our Theme Guides which everyone seems to forget about. It's incomplete, but luckily, anyone can contribute, so if you (@anyone reading this thread) want to see a theme played more, write a decent guide for it and maybe it will be.

I agree with the final point.

I really don't think DNR isn't as complicated as people make it out to be. It only has 5 or 6 "unique" roles to learn, while stuff like Body has 20+, which also convert in weird ways. DNR has the benefit of staying about the same no matter how many players are in the game, which also helps contribute to balance. It may be complex in its premise, but it's not complicated.

Re: Zelda: This probably won't get QA'd ever. I mean everyone who had been in Mafia before 2015 lost their shit when Default was changed, imagine what would happen if Zelda was "fixed". Of course I want to see Zelda improved, but it's better to leave it a relic, which is why I worked with Pangaea to make Mario a version of Zelda which is more balanced and requires more thinking. (Personally I think Zelda should be the more complicated theme of the two since it has darker and more complex themes, but oh well.)

As for Kirby, since the author's still active you can go bug him in its respective thread :p

---

One idea I've had for a while but have been too busy/lazy to implement is an actual tutorial mode for new players, where it throws instructions at you constantly for you to follow. For example: if you're Impa and haven't chosen a target to protect after 20 seconds, it sends a bold/red message telling you to protect a Link claim. If you're Link (and Impa/Naryu is in the game), it yells at you to claim if you haven't talked in the first 20 seconds of night 1. If you're Dark Knight Cecil, it reminds you constantly that you have negative votes, and maybe forces you to confirm your vote.

This would be a huge pain to code though, so we could use feedback for whether it would be useful/how it could better be implemented. It would be a useful compliment to the Theme Guides, since the problem with the latter is no one wants to check the forums midgame.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    Joeypals!! likes this.
  30. Professor Oak

PO Trainer Name:
    Professor Oak
    just for reference, I chose DNR, Kirby and Zelda cos they were the top 3 themes by amount of times played since the server reset, no other reason other than that lol

as for difficulty, I think presenting it in front of the user immediately via the script would be a better option, especially for anyone on Android, who would have to minimize the app completely just to try and load the theme guides

Joeypals!! likes this.
  31. Joeypals!!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joeypals
    Going to be asking 3 questions to make up for the last three days. Here we go!

Question for January 12th, 2017: What is the best way to tell a kid they're adopted?
    Question for January 13th, 2017: If you made a Metroid and Kid Icarus crossover title, what would it be called?
    Question for January 14th, 2017: What are your thoughts on the titles revealed for the Nintendo Switch thus far?

32. Veteran Padgett

PO Trainer Name:
    Veteran Padgett
    "You're adopted"

Professor Oak likes this.
  33. E.T.

E.T. Proud Member Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    12 Jan:
    Let someone you barely know blurt it out accidentally.

13 Jan:
    "Icarus Prime" - In the game, Samus is pursuing the Space Pirates who are battling the Space Pirates to determine the superior Space Pirates (there are Space Pirates in both series for those who don't know). Pit shows up to fight the Space Pirates, but also fights the other Space Pirates, and then Samus starts to duel with Pit for stealing her prey. During the fight, Hades shows up riding on Demon Ridley (another new revived Ridley), and then everything goes to hell (literally).

14 Jan:
    I'm thinking that there's probably not enough games that I want to persuade me to buy the system.

Joeypals!! likes this.
  34. Annoying Orange

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    im white and your mom is latin. do the math.

trash

and look at my profile pic. DID YOU SEE HER CRY IN LINKS LAP??????????? TAKE MY MONEY NINTENDO.

Dominique-XLR and Joeypals!! like this.
  35. Sasuke Uchiha

Sasuke Uchiha God of tits and wine

PO Trainer Name:
    Yellan
    at 1:14

Joyverse, Joeypals!! and E.T. like this.
  36. Professor Oak

PO Trainer Name:
    Professor Oak
    Vet's right. The context in which you tell them should be gentler than just blurting it out, however. When they are old enough to understand (probably late teenage years), or if they actually ask if they are adopted, you can sit them down and have an adult conversation with them about it. They might be respond well to it regardless of when they are told, but it would be better to at least have them fully understand it (...and to not be bullied in school for not having "real parents").

Metroid (Prime 4): Skyworld's Corruption. Gives you the ability to make a 2D game in the same vein as Super Metroid, or a 3D Metroid Prime game, depending on which you wanted to do.

In both cases, I'd have Samus investigate reports of Metroids being spotted in Skyworld. Naturally, these will actually be Komaytos, the Metroid-looking enemies of Kid Icarus. From there, I don't know what could happen, but it makes sense for that to be the way the two series link up together.

Initial thoughts overall: Nintendo have joined Microsoft and Sony in their pricing ranges and making people pay for online pay, so they need to SERIOUSLY step it up with the Switch and its features, or they are going to be completely fucked. I'm certainly holding off until things are cheaper (mostly cos I'm fucking broke).

Games:
    Breath of the Wild - They've got the Wii U version out on the same day for £20 less. Stupid idiots. At least it looks to be a pretty good game. It's also the only decent launch title, which does kinda make sense tbh. It's the only title most people will be playing, even if another big-name title was released alongside it.

1-2-Switch - This is basically the "Wii Play", "Wii Sports" or "NintendoLand" of the Switch. It's full price for a tech demo. No thanks.

ARMS - "Fighting game involving stretchy arms. What should we call it?" "Boss, why not just call it ARMS?" "..." "..." "GIVE THIS MAN A RAISE!" Jokes aside, it looks like it could be quite fun, although I'm not a fan of motion controls.

Super Mario Odyssey - I really don't know what to make of this. Bowser looks like a pimp in his white suit, but it looks like Mario is entering Station Square from Sonic Adventure. Should be fun to play anyway, remains to be seen.

Splatoon 2 - Yes please. I've seen some of the changes made to it, and as someone who played enough to get to rank S+, I am certainly looking forward to it.

Xenoblade 2 - I've not played Xenoblade 1 or X, but both were well received, and I own both games. I will probably try and get this one too, but I might wait until I've actually played the others.

Fire Emblem Warriors - as someone who has sunk about 400 hours into Hyrule Warriors, yes please.

Dragon Quest X, XI and Heroes I & II - Don't really care for the series tbh.

Project Octopath Traveller - A new RPG from the Bravely Default team? I'm definitely interested in this. Hope it turns out well.

SMT 25th Anniversary game - Can't say I'm a fan of the SMT series, because I've not played any of it. I know Samphire is excited for this though.

Skyrim - LOL

FIFA - LOL

NB2K18 - LOL

Just Dance 2017 - LOL

SkyLanders Imaginators - LOL

Pokémon Stars - LO-wait I need to end this train. Next Pokémon game is confirmed for Switch, with a tentative release date of late 2017. It's Pokémon. These are Pokémon forums. Do the fucking math.

I am Setsuna - As someone who doesn't have a PS4 or LOLVita, I've only really just heard of this thanks to this. Apparently, it plays like some of the earlier Final Fantasy games. I'm interested, though I'll probably pick it up on Steam instead.

No More Heroes 3 (but not really) - Suda said that Travis Touchdown was back, so w/e. Didn't play the first 2, so not invested in the third.

Super Bomberman R - I'm sorry, I am not paying fucking £60 for Bomberman. I'd rather play the one I got on the Wii eShop for £3 instead. It's the exact same gameplay.

Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers - even more SF2? Really? I'll buy it, sure, but come on!

I didn't write anything else down on my notepad, but apparently there's some other stuff, mostly stuff the Wii U already had / was going to have and stuff XBone and PS4 already have. w/e

Joyverse and Joeypals!! like this.
  37. pokemonnerd

pokemonnerd Only uso listens to pnerd. Devo too. Article Contributor Article Contributor

I am so ready for Emblem Warriors to eat all of my free time.

Looking forward to Breath of the Wild but Zelda was never one of my favorite games. It's always a series that falls to the wayside among other games and I randomly pick it back up wondering where the hell I am.

The other games are titles which I have not played their predecessors but will definitely give a try if I hear good things about them.

Joeypals!! likes this.
  38. Xdevo

Xdevo Some things can't be changed Tiering Administrator Tour Director Tiering Administrator Tour Director

"It's okay to kiss your cousin, you're not actually related"

"Super Smash Brother 4"

I like how nintendo hasn't learned shit over the almost 2 decades of releasing consoles with complete trash starting line-ups.

39. Joeypals!!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joeypals
    Question for January 15th, 2016: If you were a superhero, what kind of power would you have?

40. Annoying Orange

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    Kinda like Deadpool's 'power'

Joeypals!! likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.