1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

Question of The Day! (QoTD, Thread 3) (7/22&23/17 qs up)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Joeypals!!, Jan 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joeypals!!

Joeypals!! Don't you worry 'bout a thing~

PO Trainer Name:
    Joeypals
  2. Annoying Orange

Annoying Orange sweet creature Server Moderator Social Media Rep Server Moderator Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    cute but not my type.

Sasuke Uchiha likes this.
  3. Xdevo

Xdevo Phrasing Super Moderator Tour Director Super Moderator Tour Director

Shoot it now before it gets too popular

Honey Senpei likes this.
  4. Cheezeburgar

Cheezeburgar dankest john

PO Trainer Name:
    John
  5. Zoroark

Zoroark Aka Flare Forum Moderator Server Moderator Forum Moderator Server Moderator

PO Trainer Name:
    SkyPhoenix / Zoroark
    ^ I'm surprised that card didn't say "King Harambe".

Cheezeburgar likes this.
  6. Professor Oak

Professor Oak same Forum Administrator Server Owner Social Media Rep Forum Administrator Server Owner Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Professor Oak
    it's a stupid gorilla watching baby gorillas, in the same way stupid humans watch baby humans

at least shows a link between the two species

oh and

insert morgan freeman gif here

7. pokemonnerd

pokemonnerd Only uso listens to pnerd. Devo too. Article Contributor Article Contributor

Oh had to double check that I wasn't on Reddit for a second. It's pretty nice I guess.

8. Joeypals!!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joeypals
    Question for July 9th, 2017: What are your thoughts on DJ Khaled's music? (recent examples include "I'm The One" and "Wild Thoughts")
    Question for July 10th, 2017: Does Star Wars deserve as much praise as it has?

9. Edna

Edna Chasing the Dragon Forum Moderator Forum Moderator

PO Trainer Name:
    Edna
    Star Wars made our childhood, so it makes sense it deserves ( for us) such a big place
    Dunno DJ Khaled i only listen to 80's music

Joeypals!! likes this.
  10. Xdevo

idgaf

Honestly, no. Star Wars really only has 4 "great" properties among the many, many garbage ones: the first two movies, KOTOR, and Battlefront 2.

Things like the prequel trilogy, that one Christmas special, Battlefront (2015), The Force Unleashed 2, the Clone Wars movie (and significant parts of the two animated series with the same animation), and every game that came out on the Wii with the Star Wars name on it are all pretty fucking terrible.

Star Wars is pretty much the poster child for lazy "branding exercises" for the sake of milking a fanbase. Also, George Lucas shouldn't be allowed to write ever again; fuck him and his bullshit pandering to children.

Joeypals!! likes this.
  11. Professor Oak

Professor Oak same Forum Administrator Server Owner Social Media Rep Forum Administrator Server Owner Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Professor Oak
    I'll fluff this answer out more once I've given his stuff a listen, but I did see a "hey, that's a pretty good song, can I shout my name on it?" meme out there, and it made me chuckle. It also made me think that he likely has no talent. We'll see.

POST LISTEN EDIT: The beats are alright, and I understand that he's producing the music and all that jazz, but it really bugs me that he feels the need to just say his fucking name on it. Mark Ronson didn't do it on Valerie or Uptown Funk or other big hits of his, so I don't see why DJ Khaled needs to do it either.

I did a quick Wikipedia search and saw that DJ Khaled helped to produce some of the early Fat Joe and Terror Squad stuff, as well as helping with a bunch of other notable artists in the hip hop genre. Fair play to him.
    Yes. The original (Ep 4) was a very good film that sets the scene well, and is a very good individual movie too.

If you're referring to the series, also yes.

Episodes One, Two and Three weren't overly necessary. The supercuts made that remove the fluff to make a good film out of the three of them actually tells the story of Vader without the unnecessary things added just because CGI technology allowed them to exist. The story being told is fine, but the length of the story and the vast majority of the subplots are not. Building to the Clone Wars is good though.

Speaking of, the Clone Wars animated series has earned high praise from many fans and critics of the Star Wars series. I've yet to see any of it, but that is worth noting.

Rogue One was predictable, but it told the story it needed to tell well, and did everything it needed to do. As sheer setup goes, I feel like it should be added to the timeline of movies to watch.

5 is also a very good film too, but it is very much a sequel to episode 4, and setup for the inevitable sequel. I feel like it could work as a standalone movie, though. I think the "bad" ending makes for a good film too, and not enough films end on bad endings because it doesn't appeal to a mass audience who expect a payoff in the end.

6 helped to "finish" the story. It is very much a sequel, it definitely cannot stand on its own. Too many things are revealed in Episode 5 for 6 to work on its own. Still, it's a very good film, and a happy ending to the series. The story finishes.

And then Episode 7 happens. A new venture into telling a story fully in the future of all the previous events. Would it stand on its own? I think it probably would. Give someone ONLY Episode 7 to watch with absolutely no prior knowledge of the series, and it would be a film that tells a story about Rey, Finn and Kylo Ren, and introduces the older characters briefly to let you understand who is who in the film. To someone who doesn't know who Luke Skywalker is, the end of Episode 7 is a cliffhanger which works to get people to watch Episode 8. It works.

Not to mention the very large selection of other media Star Wars has produced, including multiple very good video games (and a few very shit ones too).

Star Wars has earned the praise it gets.

EDIT: oh god devo mentioned the Christmas special thing, I forgot about that
    yeah that should die on a bonfire, along with the EA Battlefront game.
    Star Wars isn't infalliable, but the best series never are. There's a Hotel Mario for every Super Mario World. There's a CDi Zelda for every Link to the Past. There's a Alien 3 for every Alien.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    Joeypals!! likes this.
  12. Xdevo

I wouldn't consider Mario or Aliens (ESPECIALLY ALIENS) as good examples of series that are great as a whole. There are certainly good games / movies in the series, but in the case of Aliens, the bad vastly outweighs the good (Covenant, the 2nd half of Prometheus, vs Predator 2, Aliens: Colonial Marines, Resurrection, etc). ~80% of Mario's games are either shovelware with the Mario named attached to it (the same dull branding exercises I railed Star Wars for) or essentially a grab-bag of previous, better title's features.

I do agree that it's hard to make a long running franchise without making a dud; the issue comes when a franchise starts to cash in its brand. These bland marketing exercises (reminding people that, yes, this franchise does still exist) or shitty licensed games (in the spirit of E.T.) only serve to worsen opinions of the franchise; with Sonic being one of the most infamous examples, even the "okay" games are hard to sell because of the franchise they're in. Star Wars is just a level above Sonic in that respect, but would really only take another Phantom Pain for me to write the series off completely.

This is one of the big reasons I hate long running franchises. Very rarely do they update because they have some creative idea that fits into the universe or because technology has advanced to make better use of previous ideas. More often than not it franchises simply use the licence to milk fans of money. They'll attach the name to something completely unrelated to fool unwary parents or grandparents; They'll not care about quality because the licence is enough to bring in sales; They'll have a studio interfere with every creative choice because the IP cannot be depicted in a negative light. All of these lead to, at best, unadventurous games or at worst, calamitous games. Star Wars is one of the worst offenders of this, with the fucking assload of barely related material.

[​IMG]

Seriously

Joeypals!! likes this.
  13. Cheezeburgar

PO Trainer Name:
    John
    dj khaled getting away with blatant whole-beat + guitar sampling should be criminal

tbh i dont think he made any of the sounds in that song.

amazing "producer"

Joeypals!! and EvilDingoRobot like this.
  14. Joeypals!!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joeypals
  15. Withoutatrace

Withoutatrace im a filthy weeb

PO Trainer Name:
    Withoutatrace
    [​IMG]

That basically sums it up for me.

Joyverse and Joeypals!! like this.
  16. Annoying Orange

Annoying Orange sweet creature Server Moderator Social Media Rep Server Moderator Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
  17. Xdevo

I'm sure a bunch of internet expertstm will spin the story however they want.

18. Edna

PO Trainer Name:
    Edna
    New Trump drama

19. Professor Oak

PO Trainer Name:
    Professor Oak
    sick of reading about trump tbh, but I guess it's another step to his eventual impeachment and replacement by someone worse than him

20. Cheezeburgar

PO Trainer Name:
    John
    wondering if i can go a week without seeing trump on headlines

21. Joeypals!!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joeypals
    Question for July 12th, 2017: In your opinion, what would need to be in a song to make it the perfect summer song?

22. Edna

PO Trainer Name:
    Edna
    It needs to have the word summer on it
    ie: Summer of 69 from Bryan Adams :D

Honey Senpei and Joeypals!! like this.
  23. Xdevo

Fun, upbeat, optimistic, catchy

It also helps if it's in one of the bigger movies of the summer

Joeypals!! likes this.
  24. Annoying Orange

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    Kiwi - Harry Styles

Joeypals!! likes this.
  25. Cheezeburgar

PO Trainer Name:
    John
    it needs to have the rock as lead vocalist

26. Hassin627

Hassin627 feels dank man

PO Trainer Name:
    Hassin627/dank jesus
    His album Grateful is absolute fire, no wonder its still at #1 in the billboard album charts or whatever its called

Star wars is shit

Almost feels like trump is craving for as much attention as possible idek

Joeypals!! likes this.
  27. Velvet Blood

Velvet Blood Well-Known Member

Hannah Montana theme song :mimikyu:

fight me @Hassin627

Joeypals!! likes this.
  28. Joeypals!!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joeypals
  29. Professor Oak

PO Trainer Name:
    Professor Oak
    Judging solely from the link itself, a woman paid for a meal for 25 firefighters.

Fair play to her. The vast majority of people who work for the emergency services do so with the knowledge that they may have to put themselves in dangerous situations and work themselves to the bone for people they don't even know, and such a gesture is a welcome one.

Joeypals!! likes this.
  30. Cheezeburgar

PO Trainer Name:
    John
    mild roast coffee should be illegal

EvilDingoRobot likes this.
  31. Zoroark

Zoroark Aka Flare Forum Moderator Server Moderator Forum Moderator Server Moderator

PO Trainer Name:
    SkyPhoenix / Zoroark
    This woman is an example of how people should be grateful towards those who risk their lives.

32. Xdevo

Didn't we already have something almost exactly like this

"How do you feel about someone doing something so obviously positive? Are you a fucking sociopath or something for not responding with 'omg so nice' like this is facebook"

Sasuke Uchiha and EvilDingoRobot like this.
  33. pokemonnerd

pokemonnerd Only uso listens to pnerd. Devo too. Article Contributor Article Contributor

That lady just wasted money and there's not even a guarantee they'll make it to rescue her in time if her house/apartment catches fire and traps her. Should have just donated money to the firehouse itself to get better equipment or so they can maintain what they have.

I'll be the sociopath we neither deserve nor asked for!

Professor Oak and Cheezeburgar like this.
  34. Honey Senpei

Honey Senpei Too Sweet And Too Cute!

PO Trainer Name:
    Hawaii
    "Wild Thoughts" when Rihanna sings it sounds like "White Sauce" so idk

Idk I have never watched the Star Wars people glorify so much

Like father like son

Also, I don't care

I have to agree with @Edna, "Summer of 69" is indeed a good one :]

What goes around, comes around

Edna likes this.
  35. EvilDingoRobot

EvilDingoRobot HELLOOOOOOOO

PO Trainer Name:
    Duck Hunt
    i am beat in povt soon

36. Xdevo

fkn monkeys

37. Joeypals!!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joeypals
    Sorry, been busy AF between the last two days. On the bright side, I got approved on my apartment application and I signed my lease, paid my deposit and all that. I'm movin on up!

Question for July 14th, 2017: What are your thoughts of this voice acting cast for the live remake version of The Lion King? Donald Glover (Simba), James Earl Jones (Mufasa), Seth Rogen (Pumbaa), Billy Eichner (Timon) and John Oliver (Zazu)
    Question for July 15th, 2017: What are your thoughts on husband pods?
    Question for July 16th, 2017: What are your thoughts on the shutdown of Pixelmon?

Professor Oak likes this.
  38. E.T.

E.T. METAMORPHOSIS! Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    Nice to see James Earl Jones voicing Mufasa again.

I agree with the last person that those who require husband pods would be better off just staying home.

It seems kinda silly since it is a bit late for Pixelmon to be taken down. Also, I'm not entirely sure how relevant Minecraft still is.

Joeypals!! likes this.
  39. Professor Oak

PO Trainer Name:
    Professor Oak
    Good to hear dude!
    why make it in the first fucking place
    JEJ is sweet tho
    no one should drag their partner out shopping if they don't want to go
    i wish SOME-FUCKING-BODY would get that memo
    TPCi looking after their copyright. Sucks for anyone involved with a project based off of a copyrighted material (PO GOOGLE PLAY APP COUGH FUCKING COUGH), but ultimately no one can do a damn thing.

Joeypals!! likes this.
  40. Annoying Orange

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    I can lend you my brain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.