1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, due to a lack of interest, playerbase, and general desire to continue, PO will hereby cease our separate tiering and adopt Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

Player Interview: Annoying Orange

Discussion in 'Articles' started by E.T., Jan 11, 2017.

Moderators: E.T.
  1. E.T.

E.T. K I N G Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    [​IMG]

Today's Player Interview features @Annoying Orange, who is the Inverted Gym Leader for the PO League. Inverted battles are battles in which the type chart is reversed, so moves that are normally resisted become super effective and vice versa. Annoying Orange has a lot of experience playing Inverted and several other tiers in the #Tournaments channel on the PO server. With that said, here is the interview!

1. How did you first discover PO?

HSOWA and I were really good friends through PurpleSurge mIRC, and one day, in June 2010 I believe, he posted PO's download link in the chat. He said it looked way better than Shoddy Battle, which I used at the time.

2. How long have you been playing Inverted?

Ever since the tier was invented. I honestly want it to be implemented in other tiers. I want lower tier Inverted or maybe even Ubers with Arceus and Xerneas banned or Monotype.

3. What is your most favorite and least favorite Inverted Pokémon and why?

My favorite Pokémon is Munchlax. It's a tank and can use Curse, then it can Body Slam anything because nothing resists or is immune to Normal in Inverted. I dislike Gothitelle even though I use it, as it can often easily get a KO or two by "Trick trapping" Pokémon like Chansey and Avalugg. In my opinion, Shadow Tag should be banned from Inverted Battle.

4. Do you have a preferred playstyle? Which playstyle do you think works best in Inverted?

Hyper offense is the best way to go, imo. Bulky offense is also really good, but you want to pressure people a lot, and it isn't hard. Sometimes, people forget the Inverted type chart or don't know how Pokémon's abilities work in Inverted, and it's easy to take advantage of things like that.

5. What is your opinion of Chansey and Avalugg cores? Do you have any advice for players on how to deal with them?

It's really nice, but I've never had a problem with it. I personally don't like Chansey in general, so I never use it in any tier. Serperior, Gothitelle, and Thundurus can answer them quite well.

6. What are your thoughts on Serperior and its effect on the metagame?

Serperior is amazing in OU, so of course with Grass being a better offensive type in Inverted, Serperior is going to be superior. It's an amazing Pokémon. It doesn't even care about Sap Sipper thanks to most sets running Gastro Acid. I'd go as far as calling it broken because it can be really hard to deal with.

7. What are some prominent strategies (or Pokémon) that appear in Inverted that aren't viable in standard metagames like OU?

Avalugg, of course, makes an amazing spinner, as Ice is one of the best defensive and offensive types in the metagame. It gets Earthqauke too for Pokémon that resist its powerful Avalanche, such as Grass- and Flying-types. Miltank is nice because it's Normal, which nothing in Inverted resists or is immune to. It also gets Sap Sipper, which is the only viable ability for it, because Scrappy is useless. Gothitelle, of course, appears as well because Shadow Tag is allowed.

8. If you could be a Gym Leader for a different tier, which tier would you choose?

Monotype. It's another tier I'm really good at. I've beaten a lot of really good people who play the tier. I've played in Smogon Monotype forum tours. It's really fun and strategic.

9. How does it feel to be an Inverted Gym Leader?

It feels a little effortless. Being a side tier, I haven't gotten many challenges, and some of the people who have challenged me haven't wanted to battle yet. When I do battle, however, I try my best to win, and, more often than not, I do.

10. Is there anything else you’d like to say to our readers?

Try out this tier if you ever get bored of playing OU. Inverted is really nice because it lets other Pokémon that aren't seen much in OU shine more. Pokémon such as Avalugg, which has a poor typing for OU, get top usage in Inverted because Ice- and Normal-types go from being the worst to the best. Also, challenge me pls.

Thanks, Annoying Orange, for sharing your experience with Inverted Battle, and good luck defending the gym for the remainder of the PO League season! This edition of Player Interview is coming to an end, but there will be more to come. To nominate players to be interviewed, post here or contact @E.T. on the PO forums.

Annoying Orange - For Being Interviewed
    E.T. - Questions, Grammar
    Sobi - Grammar
    JoyFrost - Artist

Do you want to contribute to Articles too? Here's How to Become an Articles Contributor.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
Moderators: E.T.