1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Player Interview: gengar17

Discussion in 'Articles' started by E.T., Jan 17, 2017.

Moderators: E.T.
  1. E.T.

E.T. Proud Member Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    [​IMG]

It's time for another Player Interview! In this edition, @gengar17 shares some insight into what it's like to be the ORAS LU Gym Leader for the PO League. gengar17 has been the ORAS LU Gym Leader for multiple seasons now, and he always has an exceptionally good record, which isn't too surprising considering that that he is a former Lower Tier Triathlon winner. Here's the interview!

1. How did you first discover PO?

Back when I used to play Pokémon MMOs, a friend suggested to use PO so we could test teams, and I kinda stuck around when I quit the MMO.

2. How long have you been playing LU?

I've been playing LU since XY, shortly after learning how to teambuild. I wasn't aware of what was going on (BW2 just ended), and I didn't know much about tiers, but I stumbled across a video of Smogon's Grand Slam tournament, which is around Smogon's non-OU tiers; I didn't know about Smogon or PS!, so I decided to play LU because I liked the Pokémon in it, and it looked like the RU tier I watched in the video (for the record, it was Afro Smash playing semi-finals and finals). Also, in the MMO, there was some sort of a tiering system, and I liked the tier that looked like LU.

3. What is your most favorite and least favorite ORAS LU Pokémon, and why?

My favorite LU Pokémon non-competitively is easily Hitmonlee, as it's like my second favorite Pokémon after Gengar, and I used it a lot in XY LU. Competitively, in ORAS LU, my favorite Pokémon were Uxie, late ORAS, and Meloetta, early ORAS. I liked Uxie's massive utility potential and Meloetta's SubCM stallbreaking capabilities.

My least favorite Pokémon is Malamar and has been since it was in NU; I just really hated the fact how stupid easy it was to set up and how naturally bulky it was. As a competitive player, I used it in professional games such as POCL, POWC, and RU tournaments to success, but only because I knew how annoying it is.

4. Do you have a preferred playstyle? Which playstyle do you think works best in ORAS LU?

Right now, my preferred playstyle is bulky offense, which is likely the best style in LU right now. It can fend off Registeel, Mega Steelix, and Alomomola cores and use it, and the playstyle has a better chance to take on the various threats of the tier. It also has many options to use because several of the top threats, like Shaymin, Goodra, and Mega Ampharos, also have very decent bulk.

5. What are your general thoughts on the final state of ORAS LU?

I'm very satisfied with the final state of LU because we (the LU Tier Leaders) managed to clean up most of the tier from the biggest threats, although we probably could have suspected Goodra, Shaymin, and Toxicroak as well, though they're manageable.

6. If you could be a Gym Leader for a different tier, which tier would you choose?

I initially wanted to become Monotype Gym Leader around four or five seasons ago, but there was a lack of LU players, so I never actually managed to get the Monotype spot, and now that I've stopped playing Monotype, I'm happy sticking with my main tier, LU.

7. How does it feel to be an ORAS LU Gym Leader?

It feels nice; I've been Gym Leader a few times now, and not much has changed.

8. Have there been any memorable Gym Leader matches so far that you'd like to recall?

There's a lack of LU players, so having memorable matches is rather difficult. I've definitely had several good battles, but the only thing I can remember is Carl Murray's (@Edna) annoying c-teams :(

9. Is there anything else you’d like to say to our readers?

v:

Thanks, gengar17, for sharing some of your ORAS LU experience, and good luck with the remainder of the PO League season! This edition of Player Interview is coming to an end, but there will be more to come. To nominate players to be interviewed, post here or contact @E.T. on the PO forums.

gengar17 - For Being Interviewed
    E.T. - Writer, Questions, Grammar
    Joyverse - QC
    Sobi - Grammar
    JoyFrost - Artist

Do you want to contribute to Articles too? Here's How to Become an Articles Contributor.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    Aurist, snaga, La.Melle2402 and 2 others like this.
  2. snaga

snaga .

PO Trainer Name:
    snaga
    We should be able to ask the interviewee(?) questions in addition to the ones already asked, (like a PO profile)
    @gengar17

Seeing as you made an SPL team, what advice can you give upcoming PO players to make it to the next level and compete in Pokémon's biggest stage?

favorite moment on PO?

most memorable battle? (PO/PS)

Do you listen to any sort of music during battles? If so why do you chose that genre

whos your go to person when you need teambuilding help?

hopefully this is proposing a good idea:p

Joyverse, gengar17 and E.T. like this.
  3. E.T.

E.T. Proud Member Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    You are always welcome to leave questions or comments on any article. In this case, it is up to gengar17 if he wants to answer more questions though.

4. Joyverse

Joyverse Toki wo tomare!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Yeah, no one told you guys can't ask a question. It's just that people don't ask.

BTW, What do you consider as your most memorable POCL Match?

And how'd you say your ssnl match against Aberforth went? Good. Better or Awesome?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  5. gengar17

gengar17 someone turn this victini into gengar Tier Leader Tier Leader

PO Trainer Name:
    gengar17

Aurist, snaga, E.T. and 1 other person like this.
  6. La.Melle2402

La.Melle2402 I'm the bone of my sword

Remember when I should 6-0 you with Malamar but you bitch haxed me?:(

7. gengar17

gengar17 someone turn this victini into gengar Tier Leader Tier Leader

PO Trainer Name:
    gengar17
    no? didnt i 2-0 twice? it says so in my gym thread, i dont know what ur talkin about and idk anything about malamars and uturn crits

Annoying Orange likes this.
Moderators: E.T.