1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[Released] Role Rumble: Ubers - Pheromosa vs Deoxys-A

Discussion in 'Article Review' started by Joyverse, Jan 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joyverse

Joyverse Back for a blast!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    [​IMG]

The bells ring as the competitors get ready to rumble for the first time ever in the Articles subforum. No, this isn't your usual street brawl. This is a ROLE RUMBLE! I'll discuss what makes the threats similar and what makes them different, including their strengths, weaknesses, niches, strategies, and everything in between. We aim to help both noobs and pros alike so that they make the better choices when it comes to their teams!

In Role Rumble, we'll be pitting two Pokémon with similar roles against each other to conclude which one is the better threat.

The Title: Best Nuke in Ubers

The Challengers :
    • Pheromosa
      • A.K.A. UB:02 - Beauty
      • Bug / Fighting typing
      • 137 / 137 / 151 Offences
      • Also likes piña coladas
    • Deoxys - Attack
      • A.K.A. user @E.T.
      • Pure Psychic typing
      • 180 / 180 / 150 Offences
      • Don't ever mention the nickname in front of it, or be prepared to tank a Psycho Boost.
    Round 1 - Similarities
    • Both possess excellent offensive capabilities. They are also especially fast at 151 and 150 base Speed, respectively—making them solid mixed glass cannons and extremely powerful revenge killers.
    • As a tradeoff for the nuclear offences, their paper-thin defenses often make these hunters the hunted against opposing revenge killers like Arceus, Rayquaza, or opposing Deoxys-A with Extreme Speed. Threats with Bullet Punch like Mega Lucario and Mega Scizor aren't uncommon as well. Choice Scarf users like Xerneas and Lunala can revenge kill them with ease.
    • That's not all. If both Deoxys-A and Pheromosa are at unboosted Speed, they are both outrun by Dragon Dance Mega Salamence at +1, Primal Groudon at +2 with Rock Polish, and the ever so threatening Geomancy Xerneas.
    • Even with the awesome Fighting-type coverage they have, they still end up struggling against several of the Steel-types in the tier such as Celesteela and Aegislash.
    • Both are prone to getting worn out due to the recoil damage from Life Orb; chip damage from Sandstorm; and, of course, the entry damage by hazards—making their usage a liability against fast paced teams or against stall.
    Round 2 - Individual Lookup

DEOXYS - ATTACK
    [​IMG]
    • While it's pure Psychic typing isn't something that is that special, its combination of extremely high offences and high-powered moves in its arsenal more than makes up for it.
      • Psycho Boost is a strong special Psychic-type move with 140 base power that is a staple on every Deoxys-A. It is, after all, the strongest STAB move in its movepool. The side effect of sharply decreasing its Special Attack can be ignored, as it still has moves on the physical side as well. That said, it is very easy to switch Deoxys-A out unless there is a Pursuit trapper against it—Alolan Muk being a very good example.
      • That said, with Psychic Terrain support from Tapu Lele, Deoxys-A can now go for Psychic or Psyshock to wreck threats and continue the carnage, Deoxys-A will be hitting with more intensity due to the terrain boost.
      • It doesn't lack in coverage. The next three moves can be chosen according to the team's requirements.
      • Superpower is used to take care of the blobs and Steel-type walls in the tier. It additionally hits Darkrai and Arceus-Dark for heavy amounts. However, the rib-crunching stat drops makes it a liability against teams with heavy offensive presence. Low Kick also works out well for a tier filled with heavy-ass Pokémon, but it becomes less useful against lighter foes.
      • Knock Off is a heavy utility move even in Ubers. It can be used to nail threats like Mega Gengar and Lunala, and deal heavy damage against the likes of Arceus-Ghost and Giratina.
      • Ice Beam is an excellent move in the tier that contains many Pokémon that either take super effective damage or take neutral damage from it. It is also a great move alongside Psycho Boost, as it can be freely spammed without any backlash. Ice Beam gets Landorus, Mega Salamence, Rayquaza, Arceus-Ground, Yveltal, and Shaymin-Sky for great loads of damage.
      • Extreme Speed is a great priority move for Deoxys-A. While Deoxys-A's Extreme Speed is substantially weaker than Extreme Killer Arceus's Extreme Speed due to not being a STAB move or possibly being Swords Dance boosted, it does help it to pick off weakened threats like the very common Geomancy Xerneas.
      • Pursuit is often used nowadays to specifically trap Ghost-types that rarely stay on Deoxys-A. The best examples are Calm Mind or Choice Specs Lunala or Mega Gengar.
      • Other uncommon moves include Fire Punch, which hits Ferrorthorn and Mega Scizor for doubly super-effective damage. It also reliably hits Skarmory and Celesteela for super-effective damage as well. Hidden Power Fire can be used in this place to generate more damage from its Special Attack stat as that more often than not has more investments on EVs. Meteor Mash or Flash Cannon are used to hit Fairy-types without having to go for a Psycho Boost.
    • As for the items, the most well-known and probably the best item for Deoxys-A to hold is the Life Orb, as the 30% boost in the base power of every move is highly appreciated. The 10% recoil can easily be ignored, as nukes such as Deoxys will die the moment a move touches them.
      • Focus Sash is always a good thing to have. As a trade-off for damage output, it actually gets to live for a turn or two without having to succumb to a hit that'll eventually KO if it doesn't KO the opposition first. And if damaging weather and hazards are controlled, then Deoxys-A gets multiple chances to switch out and come back to reek havoc again. Additionally, it can also work as a suicide lead as it has moves like Stealth Rock, Spikes and Taunt. While Deoxys-S is better off for suicide leading, Deoxys-A can actually pose a threat as well as lay rocks against the opposing team.
      • If you are in a wild mood, then you can go for Psychium Z with Psycho Boost (maybe Psychic) for a one-time nuke on a poor soul. As you might know, Psycho Boost's stat drops won't be added when you go for a base 200 power Shattered Psyche, so have fun!

PHEROMOSA
    [​IMG]
    • Pheromosa has a few tricks up its sleeve (Wings? Thorax?) that makes Pheromosa slightly different from Deoxys-A.
    • The first being its obvious dual STAB moves. It has access to a stronger Low Kick and has access to High Jump Kick, which is stronger than Deoxys-A's Superpower due to the 10 BP difference and the STAB boost. It also has no stat negating side effects, but it does have the miss chance and the 50% recoil on missing. Considering the existence of bulky Ghost-types likes Giratina and Arceus-Ghost in the tier, High Jump Kick, can be a liability.
    • The next moves include U-Turn. It gives Pheromosa an edge over Deoxys-A for being a scouting move which also gets the STAB boost. This helps greatly in getting chip damage on threats that can be taken care of by Pheromosa's teammates.
      • Continuing on STAB moves. Pheromosa also has Focus Blast (lovingly known as Focus Miss) which is still a good Fighting-type alternative compared to, you know, High Jump Kick.
    • Then comes the coverage!
      • Ice Beam comes next as that is an extremely important move to have around in Ubers. Think of it, it nails monsters such as Mega Salamence and Zygarde-C. Not just that, it deals heavy damage to the likes of Arceus-Ground and Yveltal. There are more to add to this list, but lemme be a bit lazy and tell you to scroll to the Ice Beam section of Deoxys-A.
      • Poison Jab is another useful move to take on the notorious Fairy-types like Xerneas or Tapu Lele. If that's not enough, it also has a 30% chance to poison incoming switch-ins, and that is great isn't it?
      • Other options include Fling and Rapid Spin. With an Insect or a Fist Plate, Fling becomes a 90 BP move. It is mainly used as catch a Giratina or an Arceus-Ghost off-guard, but it also OHKOes Mega Gengar after Stealth Rock damge.
      • Deoxys-A has hazards setup, and Pheromosa has hazard control. Yes, you heard it right, it gets Rapid Spin to spin out any hazards on the user's side. However do note, that you'll have to be very careful while using it.
    • Moving on to items, Life Orb and Focus Sash are a given. There shouldn't be any need to explain it in depth here, frankly speaking.
    • However there are other items that differentiate it from Deoxys-A. It is completely able to use all three of the Choice items to varying degrees. The Choice Band, especially when combined with Beast Boost, is especially hard to stop by if your priority killers are dispatched, making Pheromosa an especially useful late-game cleaner. Also, the U-Turn from a Choice Band Pheromosa really hurts.
      • A bit of EV tweaking to make Pheromosa's Speed lower than either Attack or Special Attack combined with a Choice Scarf basically turns it into a Moxie monster that cannot be easily stopped once it has taken down even a single opponent.
      • The Choice Specs set works similarly as the Choice Band set while keeping U-Turn for scouting out threats, but it obviously hits harder specially.
    • Fightium Z combined with Focus Blast or High Jump Kick gives you a one-time turbocharged and fully accurate move to totally finish an opponent that could have taken a hit or two (Looks at Celesteela).
    RESULTS. RESULTS. RESULTS.

[​IMG]

Time to judge!
    Well, well, Deoxys-A does win. While Pheromosa is great due to having a usable ability in comparison to Deoxys-A, as it has a non-risky way to boost its stats. Pheromosa is also faster and can run more sets in comparison to Deoxys-A but why did it lose? Pheromosa is offensively strong, but for a tier like Ubers with its pantheon of hard hitters, Pheromosa just doesn't hit hard enough all the time, unlike Deoxys-A!

Deoxys-A's 180/180 attack spread along with its assortment of moves lets it hit everything in the tier for a good amount of damage. Pheromosa, on the other hand, struggles against Ghost-types way too much, and some of the very bulky Steel-types, like say Celesteela or Solgaleo, can take a hit or two (and somewhere in it's castle, Aegislash guffawed at the thought of a High Jump Kick connecting). Pheromosa's lack of priority attacks are also a negative, and sadly, Pheromosa has a very limited movepool, which makes it very predictable at times—ultimately making Deoxys-A the better 'mon. Deoxys-A can just circumvent this problem with Knock Off or Dark Pulse. Well the only thing truly stopping Deoxys-A would be, wait for it, Mega Sableye.

Deoxys-A and Pheromosa are both strong nukes to have around. One is a tried and tested Man O' War, and the other is a wannabe superstar. When it comes to Ubers, Deoxys-A should always be the better choice to use. As such, Pheromosa is at best, a niche option over Deoxys-A.
    Deoxys-A takes the title of the very first Role Rumble!
    THE BEST NUKE IN UBERS!

[​IMG]
    What are your thoughts and opinion on Deoxys-A and/or Pheromosa in SM Ubers? How have you used them? How do you battle against them? Got other Pokémon to clash in the next Role Rumble? I am all ears, and so is everyone here at the Articles subforum! Don't be shy; go ahead and post!

Joyverse - Writer
    Annoying Orange - QC, Banner
    Mysterious M - QC
    E.T. - QC, Grammar
    Spoovo The Pirate - QC
    Sobi - QC
    gengar17 - QC

Do you want to contribute to Articles too? Here's How to Become an Articles Contributor.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2017
  2. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    @E.T. how's this for now? Also @Mysterious M , do I know the tier now to say all this? :3

Should finish soon!

3. Annoying Orange

Annoying Orange sweet creature Server Moderator Social Media Rep Server Moderator Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    take out the RAWRRRRRR pls
    also you have Mega Lucario as Mega Location

4. Mysterious M

Mysterious M Dream /\ Bigger

In a quick note you havent mentioned Psychic for Deo-A as a move which is widely used now along with terrain. I will analyze more later

Joyverse likes this.
  5. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Thanks. Psyshock too I assume?

6. E.T.

E.T. SSSSSSSSSSSSS! Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    It actually has 137 / 137 / 151 offenses.

Is Expert Belt Deoxys-A actually a thing? The lack of recoil doesn't seem like it would help much considering that Deoxys-A is has paper-thin defenses anyway, but the lack of a boost for Extreme Speed and the ability to nuke neutral targets with Psycho Boost should be greatly missed.

Seems like this is off to a good start though.

7. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Fixed.

I have seen it on the ladder, quite a few times at that. However I'll probably remove it if possible.

Thanks, I have been taking my time on this article thanks to being able to type on my sis' tablet so it might a big-ish one/ Do tell me if it's a bit large and should be shortened.

8. Spoovo The Pirate

Spoovo The Pirate Meep! Article Contributor Article Contributor

Is Lunge worth a mention on Phero? I've seen it used in OU, and it can give Phero the chance to survive weaker physical attacks, but does it translate well in Ubers?

That's all I've got for now. Though I do think you might be over-hyping things at the start. I get they do that in wrestling matches all the time, but we don't wanna go TOO over the top, do we?

9. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse

10. Annoying Orange

Annoying Orange sweet creature Server Moderator Social Media Rep Server Moderator Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    "A with Extreme Speed. Bullet Punch Mega Location and Mega Scizor. And Choice Scarf users likes Xerneas and Lunala"

it's like you didn't see my comment ._.
    those periods to commas as well

11. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    You did notice I removed the "RAWWR" right? As for those, I'm on it.
    UH? You want those all in one sentence or something? I didn't really understand much from "those periods and commas".

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  12. Annoying Orange

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    Bullet Punch Mega Lucario and Mega Scizor. And Choice Scarf users likes Xerneas and Lunala.

they aren't complete sentences is all.

13. Spoovo The Pirate

Spoovo The Pirate Meep! Article Contributor Article Contributor

Though starting a sentence with 'And' can have its own literary effect. Not entirely correct if grammar is all you care about, but it has its reasons.

14. Sobi

Sobi To be loved is a strength. To love is a weakness. Article Contributor Article Contributor

PO Trainer Name:
    Sobi
    And can certainly be used at the beginning of a sentence in casual writing like this; but in the above example, the sentence doesn't make sense (assuming "likes" should be "like")

@Joyverse Please read through this now / before submitting it for GP to fix these really basic comma <-> full stop errors. Thanks!

(If English isn't your native language and thus your grammar is a little off, do let me know - GP will try to help with that. If you're being a tad bit lazy, try to repress such habits.)

15. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Yeah......
    English isn't my native language. Also, if my teachers had focussed on grammar more than pointers on getting marks then you wouldn't have had to face this problem now. Sorry I guess.

Trying to proofread a bit on the initial draft as I type this. I probably would have reworded a few questionable sentences and added a few things here and there but that's the most I can do on my leave rn so yeah.

Sobi likes this.
  16. gengar17

gengar17 someone turn this nothing into gengar

there's no niche for lunge in ubers, and it's not used on pheromosa for the atk drop, but whenever it's used it's so clean with this stab which is stronger than uturn when u dont wanna be forced out and cant click hjk (small niche and very little usage though), and in the example u provided for lunge, uturn would have been better.
    also is pheromosa really that used in ubers to warrant a whole article? i havent been keeping up but i havent seen a single one in spl out of 50 teams in the span of 5 weeks

Annoying Orange likes this.
  17. Annoying Orange

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    deoxys is better and more viable. and it can just click espeed on the barely faster pheromosas. bug/fighting stab isnt as good as deoxys' psychic stab with better coverage and offensive stats in general. Pheromosa can u-turn and has a great move in high jump kick. their roles arent that similar, but deoxys is better.

18. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Fair points, fair points. I could change that around.

While I can't ignore a tour like SPL. I can still say that Pheromosa is used or has been used. Call it a ladder trend on PS (Haven't laddered enough on PO to say) or w/e. I also needed a similar pokemon to Deoxys-A. Even I know Deoxys (spoiler: which is why Deoxys wins in the end) is better but the first that came to my mind during the initial idea of role rumble were these two and I went ahead with it. You could have told before but now I am at point of no-return for this article so I'll continue with it.

19. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Chaotic end I guess. I had intended for Deoxys to take the win from the beginning tbrrh. Only that I needed a similar pokemon for Deoxys to face-off against.

As for the article itself, it may be good or bad but I am no one to say anything at this moment cuz I'll be biased lol. It's the first of its variant and not every firsts are gonna be as awesome as say, Pnerd's Snorlax article so there we go.

Anyway I am done. @E.T. go through the article one more time and shift it to Grammar if so.
    Also Mr. TL @Mysterious M, how bad is it? At least I finished it before college started, didn't I? xd

20. Mysterious M

Mysterious M Dream /\ Bigger

It does not come next, it does not exist in Ubers as it does in OU.

This is as well really bad and it has 0 usage.

Also sets like Specs or the ones you mentioned after that are meh, but you can just mention them i guess. Otherwise the rest of the article is alright.

21. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    >Remove Bug Buzz
    >Remove Fling

Ok, will do.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  22. E.T.

E.T. SSSSSSSSSSSSS! Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    The "Pheromosa lost, but you can use it anyway" sentiment at the end seems to drag on for more than necessary.
    I agree that Fling is getting more attention than it probably deserves. I'm okay with it being mentioned, but it probably doesn't need two talking points.

23. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Done the above things. Shifted to Grammar.

24. Sobi

Sobi To be loved is a strength. To love is a weakness. Article Contributor Article Contributor

PO Trainer Name:
    Sobi
    are you sure it's ready ? the structure looks like.. a lot - not too sure how to explain

25. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Incomplete?

There does seem like a few missed / extra words at the end. I'll edit them out once I get on a pc.

You can wait a while before checking. Or, you can do it in parts. Intro up until the end of Deoxys seems a good place to grammar check nw.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  26. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    A friend of mine snatched my specs as I was doing some minor edits! :c
    IDK how much has been fixed, so I'd rather have GP proofread it a bit more for errors not gramatical. I am logging off from my pc for the night, if you see me online then am probs on phone.

27. Sobi

PO Trainer Name:
    Sobi
    you know i'm quite strict on informal articles--theres a fine line between informal and childish, and to be honest, i feel like this article falls into the latter. the choppy structure and the cringey style (yes, this might be a bit mean and i do apologise in advance but it's the only word i can think of) doesn't really entertain me as a reader. now I know you spent time and effort on this and i do not intend to dishearten you but unless you attempt to make this more professional, i'm gonna have to do so myself and prior warning: i may axe some stuff.

tagging @E.T. for feedback.

28. E.T.

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    I'd say go ahead and grammar check it so that you can highlight the parts that you have issues with.

When we've discussed satire articles in the past, they have been contingent on the condition that they are actually amusing. I like the feel that this article is aiming for, but there are some parts where it is trying too hard to be funny. For example, the challengers section is more satire than content. There are other bits like this that could just be cutout entirely:

Sobi likes this.
  29. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Oh shit, I had actually intended to remove that line but I guess I forgot.

And oh, I tried. Comedy won't come to me naturally so I'll stick to a more formal style than to force things. Feel free to axe.

e: How I wish I had a teacher like Sobi!

30. E.T.

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    This bit seems unnecessary.
    Also, necessary because you've already stated that this is Role Rumble, and we probably shouldn't commit to making this monthly since this article has already be in review for over a month.
    Unnecessary fluff.
    I removed most of the jokes from this section to keep it from getting too far off track. I kept the fourth point for Deoxys-Attack because it at least references Psycho Boost.
    Quick Grammar Lesson: A dependent clause by itself is not a complete sentence, so "Even with the awesome Fighting-type coverage they have." should not stop there. However, a dependent clause is fine if it is followed by a comma and an independent clause like this: "Even with the awesome Fighting-type coverage they have, they still end up struggling against several of the Steel-types in the tier such as Celesteela and Aegislash." Note that if you removed the part before the comma (dependent clause), it would still be a complete sentence (i.e. it is independent). I'm making such a fuss over this because this is a grammar mistake that you make frequently (not just in this article).
    Then don't say it? (removed)
    Wat. (removed) Also, it is "High Jump Kick" as of Generation 6.
    I know you are a social media rep and all, but please control yourself (removed).
    I actually liked this bit, but I think it is too out of place for the article content to become sentient.
    The article is becoming sentient again. I left the image, but removed the other stuff after the title statement.
    I think the title statement is a good way to end the article content, and this paragraph really just seems like rambling. (removed) The paragraph after this is fine though.

I also resized the gifs so that they aren't enormous.

[​IMG]

The bells ring as the competitors get ready to rumble for the first time ever in the aArticles subforum. No, this isn't your usual street brawl. This is a ROLE RUMBLE! It isn't your battle of raw strength but it is one of the minds. Yeah, we ain't gonna make the dudes fight to the death, lol! We'll talk about'll discuss what makes the threats similar, and what makes them different. T, including their strengths, weaknesses, niches, strategies, and everything in between. We aim to help both newoobs and pros alike so that they make the better choices when it comes to their teams!

Oh, and hi, I'll be introducing you to the first ever Role Rumble!! I intend to do this every month unless somebody snipes me! xd

Every month
    , we'll be pitting two Pokémon with similar roles and compare gainst each othem andr to conclude which one is the better threat out of the them.

DISCLAIMER: None of tThe Pokémon were harmed in any way. If anything, they're the ones to harm you. We are talking about an ULTRA BEAST AND AN ALIEN WARMACHINE GUYS! ~_~)/

The t[/s]itle: Best Nuke in Ubers

The Challengers :-

• Pheromosa
      • Also knows as the Sexiest Ultra Beast! <3
      • Bug / Fighting typing
      • Likes to lure unsuspecting people and Pokémon with its pheromones. It can also use it to mesmerise them and disarm them.
      • Deoxys - Attack
        • A.K.A 4.8/10 Build , Nuke/10 Nuke
        • Also known as user @E.T.
        • I was joking, but it's also known as the The Reaper from Planet Mars!
        • Pure Psychic typing
        • Deoxys - Attack or Deo, effing hates deodorant. Don't ever mention that or the nickname in front of it. Or, or be prepared to tank a Psycho (read : Angry Psycho) Boost.

Round 1 - Similarities
      • Both possess excellent offensive capabilities. They are also especially fast at base 151 and 150 base Speed, respectively. M—making them solid mixed glass cannons and as well as extremely powerful revenge killers.
      • As a trade-off for the nuclear offences. T, their paper -thin defencses often make these hunters the hunted against opposing revenge killers like Arceus, Rayquaza, or opposing Deoxys - A with Extreme Speed. Threats with Bullet Punch like Mega Lucario and Mega Scizor aren't uncommon as well. Choice Scarf users like Xerneas and Lunala can revenge kill them with ease.
      • That's not all. In case of both Deoxys and Pheromosa are at unboosted sSpeed. T, they are both outrun by Dragon Dance Mega Salamence at +1, Primal Groudon at +2 with Rock Polish, and the ever so threatening Geomancy Xerneas.
      • Even with the awesome Fighting-type coverage they have. T, they still end up struggling against several of the Steel-types in the tier such as Celesteela and Aegislash.
      • Both are prone to getting worn out due to the recoil damage from Life Orb,; chip damage from Sandstorm; and, of course, the entry damage by hazards. M—making their usage a liability against fast paced teams or against stall.

DEOXYS - ATTACK
      [​IMG]
      • While it's pure Psychic typing isn't something that is that special. It', its combination of extremely high offences and high-powered moves in its arsenal more than makes up for it.
        • Psycho Boost is a strong base 140 special Psychic-type move with 140 base power that is a staple on every Deoxys - A. It is, after all, the strongest STAB move in its movepool that gives it a STAB boost. The side effect of sharply decreasing its Special aAttack can be ignored, as it still has moves on the physical side as well. That said, it is very easy to switch out a Deoxys out unless there is a Pursuit trapper against it. Alolan Muk being a very good example.
        • That said, now with Psychic Terrain support from Tapu Lele, Deoxys - A can now go for Psychic or Psyshock to wreck threats and continue the carnage. As they', Deoxys-A will be hitting with more intensity due to the terrain boost.
        • It doesn't lack in coverage. The next three moves can be chosen according to the team's requirements.
        • Superpower is used to take care of the blobs and Steel-type walls in the tier. It additionally hits Darkrai and Arceus - Dark for heavy amounts. However, the rib-crunching stat drops makes it a liability against teams with heavy offensive presence. Low Kick also works out well for a tier filled with heavy-ass Pokémon, but it becomes less useful against lighter foes.
        • Knock Off is a heavy utility move even in Ubers. It can used to nail threats like Mega Gengar and Lunala. A, and deal heavy damage against the likes of Arceus - Ghost and Giratina.
        • Ice Beam is an excellent move in the tier that contains many Pokémon that either take super effective damage or take neutral damage from it. It is also a great move alongside Psycho Boost, as it can be freely spammed without any backlash. Itce Beam gets Landorus, Mega Salamence, Rayquaza, Arceus - Ground, Yveltal, and, Shaymin - Sky for great loads of damage.
        • Extreme Speed is a great priority move for Deoxys-A. While itDeoxys-A's Extreme Speed is substantially weaker than Extreme Killer Arceus's Extreme Speed due to not being a STAB and and amove or possibly being Swords Dance boost. Ied, it does help it to pick off weakened threats like the very common Geomancy Xerneas.
        • Pursuit is often used nowadays to specifically trap Ghost-types that rarely stay on Deoxys-A. The best examples beingare Calm Mind or Choice Specs Lunala or Mega Gengar.
        • Other (un)common moves include Fire Punch, which hits Ferrorthorn and Mega Scizor for doubly super-effective damage. If that's not all, it allso reliably hits Skarmory and Celesteela for super-effective damage as well. Hidden Power Fire can be used in this place to generate more damage from its Special Attack stat as that's more often than not has more investments on EVs. Meteor Mash or Flash Cannon are often used to hit Fairy-types without having to go for a Psycho Boost.
      • As for the items, the most well-known and probably the best item for Deoxys-A to hold is the Life Orb. A, as the 30% boost in the base power of every move is highly appreciated. The 10% recoil iscan easily be ignorabled, as nukes such as Deoxys will die the moment a move touches them.
        • Focus Sash is always a good thing to have. As a trade-off for damage output, it actually gets to live for a turn or two without having to succumb to a hit that'll eventually KO if it doesn't KO the opposition first. And if damaging weather and hazards are controlled, then Deoxys gets multiple chances to switch out and come back andto reek havoc again. Additionally, it can also work as an S suicide Llead as it has toolmoves like Stealth Rock, Spikes and Taunt. While Deoxys - Speed is better off for suicide leading, Deoxys - Attack can actually pose a threat as well as lay rocks against the opposing team.
        • If you are in a wild mood, then you can go for Psychium Z with Psycho Boost (maybe Psychic) for a one-time nuke on a poor soul. As you might know, Psycho Boost's stat drops won't be added when you go for a base 200 power Shattered Psyche, so have fun!

PHEROMOSA
      [​IMG]
      • ItPheromosa has a few tricks up its sleeve (Wings? Thorax?) that makes Pheromosa slightly different from Deoxys.
      • The first being its obvious dual STAB moves. It has access to a stronger Low Kick and has access to High Jump Kick, which is more stronger than Deoxys's Superpower due to the 10 BP difference and the STAB boost. It also has no stat negating side effects, but it does have the miss chance and the 50% recoil on missing, especially c. Considering the existence of bulky Ghost-types likes Giratina and Arceus - Ghost in the tier makes it another, High Jump Kick, can be a liability.
      • The next moves include U-Turn. It gives Pheromosa an edge over Deoxys - A. A-A for being a scouting move which also gets the STAB boost. This helps greatly in getting chip damage on threats that can thenbe taken care of by Pheromosa's teammates.
        • Continuing on STAB moves. Pheromosa also has Focus Blast (lovingly known as Focus Miss) which is still a good Fighting-type alternative compared to, you know, Hi-gh Jump Kick.
        • Ice Beam comes next as that is an extremely important move to have around in Ubers. Think of it, it nails monsters such as Mega Salamence and Zygarde - C. Not just that, it deals heavy damage to the likes of Arceus - Ground, and Yveltal. There are more to add to this list, but lemme be a bit lazy and tell you to scroll to the Ice Beam section of Deoxys'. :v-A.
        • Poison Jab is another useful move to take on the notorious Fairy-types like Xerneas or Tapu Lele. If that's not enough, it also has a 30% chance to poison incoming switch-ins, and that is great isn't it?
        • Other options include Fling and Rapid Spin. With an Insect or a Fist Plate -, Fling becomes a 90 BP move. It is mainly used as catch a Giratina or an Arceus-Ghost off-guard, not to forget thabut it also OHKOes Mega Gengar after rStealth Rocks with it damge.
        • If Deoxys-A has hazards setup, and Pheromosa has hazard control. Yes, you heard it right, it gets Rapid Spin to spin out any hazards on the user's side. However do note, that you'll have to be very careful while using it.
      • Moving on to items -, Life Orb and Focus Sash are a given. There shouldn't be any need to explain it in depth here, frankly speaking.
      • However there are other items that differentiate it from Deoxys-A. It is completely able to use all three of the Choice items to varying degrees. The Choice Band, especially when combined with Beast Boost, is especially hard to stop by if your priority killers are dispatched. M, making itPheromosa an especially useful late-game cleaner. Also, the U-Turn from a Choice Band Pheromosa really hurts.
        • A bit of EV tweaking too make Pheromosa's Speed lower than either Attack or Special Attack combined with a Choice Scarf basically turns it into it a la Moxie monster that cannot be easily stopped so easily once it has taken down even a single opponent.
        • The Choice Specs set works similarly as the Choice Band set while keeping U-Turn for scouting out threats, but it obviously hits harder specially (Which is a no-brainer, why am I even saying this lol!).
      • Fightium Z combined with Focus Blast or Hi-gh Jump Kick (Cuz KONO POWA!) gives you a one-time turbocharged and fully accurate move to totally finish an opponent that could have taken a hit or two (Looks at Celesteela).

[​IMG]
      #hashtag #JudgeZard
      Time to judge!

Well, well, Deoxys - A does win. While Pheromosa is great, due to having a usable ability in comparison to Deoxys - A, as it can has a non-risky way to boost its stats. It'Pheromosa is also faster, and can run more sets in comparison to the AlienDeoxys-A but why did it not winlose?
      [​IMG]

"I was preparing my evening gown for a celebration party y'know! &gt;:[ " *LOOKS AT THE WRITER*
    C-calm down there, Pheromosa. You can't be this angry at a wee person like me? Right?

Well, why did it not win?
    Pheromosa is offensively strong, but, for a tier like Ubers with its pantheon of hard hitters - It, Pheromosa just doesn't hit hard enough all the time, unlike, say, Deoxys - A!

Deoxys-A's 180 / 180 Aattack spread along with its assortment of moves lets it hit everything in the tier for a good amount of damage. Pheromosa, on the other hands, struggles against Ghost-types way too much. A, and some of the very bulky Steel-types, like say, Celesteela or Solgaleo, can take a hit or two (Aand somewhere in it's castle, Aegislash guffawed at the thought of an Hi-ghJump Kick connecting.). Pheromosa's lack of priority attacks are also a negative. A, and sadly, Pheromosa has a very limited movepool, which makes it very predictable at times ultimately making Deoxys - A the better 'Mmon. Deoxys-A can just circumvent this problem with Knock Off or Dark Pulse. Well the only thing truly stopping Deoxys-A would be, wait for it, Mega Sableye.

Deoxys-A and Pheromosa are both strong nukes to have around. One is a tried and taested Man O' War and the other, a wannabe superstar. When it comes to Ubers, Deoxys - A should be always the better choice to use. As such, Pheromosa is at best, a niche option over Deoxys.​
    Deoxys - A takes the title of the very first Role Rumble!
    THE BEST NUKE IN UBERS!
    Congratulations, Deoxys buddy!

[​IMG]

"Thanks, I guess.."
    *Proceeds to annoy a certain atmospheric guardian for the bajillionth time*

Deoxys - A wins the first Role Rumble! But that doesn't mean you can't try Pheromosa! Like I said before, If you really wanna try it out, then go for it, no one is going to stop you! Just, don't use Quiver Dance with it 'cuz that sucks big time. Pheromosa will be there for you in OU too, so if Ubers isn't your thing, then OU it is.

What are your thoughts and opinion on Deoxys - A and / or Pheromosa in theSM Ubers tier? How have you used them? How do you fightbattle against them? Got other Pokeémon to clash in the next Role Rumble? I am all ears, and so areis everyone here at the Articles! Go ahead, d subforum! Don't be shy,; go ahead and post!​

[​IMG]

The bells ring as the competitors get ready to rumble for the first time ever in the Articles subforum. No, this isn't your usual street brawl. This is a ROLE RUMBLE! I'll discuss what makes the threats similar and what makes them different, including their strengths, weaknesses, niches, strategies, and everything in between. We aim to help both noobs and pros alike so that they make the better choices when it comes to their teams!

In Role Rumble, we'll be pitting two Pokémon with similar roles against each other to conclude which one is the better threat.

The Title: Best Nuke in Ubers

The Challengers :
    • Pheromosa
      • Bug / Fighting typing
    • Deoxys - Attack
      • A.K.A. user @E.T.
      • Pure Psychic typing
      • Don't ever mention the nickname in front of it, or be prepared to tank a Psycho Boost.
    Round 1 - Similarities
    • Both possess excellent offensive capabilities. They are also especially fast at 151 and 150 base Speed, respectively—making them solid mixed glass cannons and extremely powerful revenge killers.
    • As a tradeoff for the nuclear offences, their paper-thin defenses often make these hunters the hunted against opposing revenge killers like Arceus, Rayquaza, or opposing Deoxys-A with Extreme Speed. Threats with Bullet Punch like Mega Lucario and Mega Scizor aren't uncommon as well. Choice Scarf users like Xerneas and Lunala can revenge kill them with ease.
    • That's not all. If both Deoxys and Pheromosa are at unboosted Speed, they are both outrun by Dragon Dance Mega Salamence at +1, Primal Groudon at +2 with Rock Polish, and the ever so threatening Geomancy Xerneas.
    • Even with the awesome Fighting-type coverage they have, they still end up struggling against several of the Steel-types in the tier such as Celesteela and Aegislash.
    • Both are prone to getting worn out due to the recoil damage from Life Orb; chip damage from Sandstorm; and, of course, the entry damage by hazards—making their usage a liability against fast paced teams or against stall.

DEOXYS - ATTACK
    [​IMG]
    • While it's pure Psychic typing isn't something that is that special, its combination of extremely high offences and high-powered moves in its arsenal more than makes up for it.
      • Psycho Boost is a strong special Psychic-type move with 140 base power that is a staple on every Deoxys-A. It is, after all, the strongest STAB move in its movepool. The side effect of sharply decreasing its Special Attack can be ignored, as it still has moves on the physical side as well. That said, it is very easy to switch Deoxys out unless there is a Pursuit trapper against it—Alolan Muk being a very good example.
      • That said, with Psychic Terrain support from Tapu Lele, Deoxys-A can now go for Psychic or Psyshock to wreck threats and continue the carnage, Deoxys-A will be hitting with more intensity due to the terrain boost.
      • Superpower is used to take care of the blobs and Steel-type walls in the tier. It additionally hits Darkrai and Arceus-Dark for heavy amounts. However, the rib-crunching stat drops makes it a liability against teams with heavy offensive presence. Low Kick also works out well for a tier filled with heavy-ass Pokémon, but it becomes less useful against lighter foes.
      • Knock Off is a heavy utility move even in Ubers. It can used to nail threats like Mega Gengar and Lunala, and deal heavy damage against the likes of Arceus-Ghost and Giratina.
      • Ice Beam is an excellent move in the tier that contains many Pokémon that either take super effective damage or take neutral damage from it. It is also a great move alongside Psycho Boost, as it can be freely spammed without any backlash. Ice Beam gets Landorus, Mega Salamence, Rayquaza, Arceus-Ground, Yveltal, and Shaymin-Sky for great loads of damage.
      • Extreme Speed is a great priority move for Deoxys-A. While Deoxys-A's Extreme Speed is substantially weaker than Extreme Killer Arceus's Extreme Speed due to not being a STAB move or possibly being Swords Dance boosted, it does help it to pick off weakened threats like the very common Geomancy Xerneas.
      • Pursuit is often used nowadays to specifically trap Ghost-types that rarely stay on Deoxys-A. The best examples are Calm Mind or Choice Specs Lunala or Mega Gengar.
      • Other uncommon moves include Fire Punch, which hits Ferrorthorn and Mega Scizor for doubly super-effective damage. It also reliably hits Skarmory and Celesteela for super-effective damage as well. Hidden Power Fire can be used in this place to generate more damage from its Special Attack stat as that more often than not has more investments on EVs. Meteor Mash or Flash Cannon are used to hit Fairy-types without having to go for a Psycho Boost.
    • As for the items, the most well-known and probably the best item for Deoxys-A to hold is the Life Orb, as the 30% boost in the base power of every move is highly appreciated. The 10% recoil can easily be ignored, as nukes such as Deoxys will die the moment a move touches them.
      • Focus Sash is always a good thing to have. As a trade-off for damage output, it actually gets to live for a turn or two without having to succumb to a hit that'll eventually KO if it doesn't KO the opposition first. And if damaging weather and hazards are controlled, then Deoxys gets multiple chances to switch out and come back to reek havoc again. Additionally, it can also work as a suicide lead as it has moves like Stealth Rock, Spikes and Taunt. While Deoxys-Speed is better off for suicide leading, Deoxys-Attack can actually pose a threat as well as lay rocks against the opposing team.

PHEROMOSA
    [​IMG]
    • Pheromosa has a few tricks up its sleeve (Wings? Thorax?) that makes Pheromosa slightly different from Deoxys.
    • The first being its obvious dual STAB moves. It has access to a stronger Low Kick and has access to High Jump Kick, which is stronger than Deoxys's Superpower due to the 10 BP difference and the STAB boost. It also has no stat negating side effects, but it does have the miss chance and the 50% recoil on missing. Considering the existence of bulky Ghost-types likes Giratina and Arceus-Ghost in the tier, High Jump Kick, can be a liability.
    • The next moves include U-Turn. It gives Pheromosa an edge over Deoxys-A for being a scouting move which also gets the STAB boost. This helps greatly in getting chip damage on threats that can be taken care of by Pheromosa's teammates.
      • Continuing on STAB moves. Pheromosa also has Focus Blast (lovingly known as Focus Miss) which is still a good Fighting-type alternative compared to, you know, High Jump Kick.
      • Ice Beam comes next as that is an extremely important move to have around in Ubers. Think of it, it nails monsters such as Mega Salamence and Zygarde-C. Not just that, it deals heavy damage to the likes of Arceus-Ground and Yveltal. There are more to add to this list, but lemme be a bit lazy and tell you to scroll to the Ice Beam section of Deoxys-A.
      • Other options include Fling and Rapid Spin. With an Insect or a Fist Plate, Fling becomes a 90 BP move. It is mainly used as catch a Giratina or an Arceus-Ghost off-guard, but it also OHKOes Mega Gengar after Stealth Rock damge.
      • Deoxys-A has hazards setup, and Pheromosa has hazard control. Yes, you heard it right, it gets Rapid Spin to spin out any hazards on the user's side. However do note, that you'll have to be very careful while using it.
    • Moving on to items, Life Orb and Focus Sash are a given. There shouldn't be any need to explain it in depth here, frankly speaking.
    • However there are other items that differentiate it from Deoxys-A. It is completely able to use all three of the Choice items to varying degrees. The Choice Band, especially when combined with Beast Boost, is especially hard to stop by if your priority killers are dispatched, making Pheromosa an especially useful late-game cleaner. Also, the U-Turn from a Choice Band Pheromosa really hurts.
      • A bit of EV tweaking to make Pheromosa's Speed lower than either Attack or Special Attack combined with a Choice Scarf basically turns it into a Moxie monster that cannot be easily stopped once it has taken down even a single opponent.
      • The Choice Specs set works similarly as the Choice Band set while keeping U-Turn for scouting out threats, but it obviously hits harder specially.
    • Fightium Z combined with Focus Blast or High Jump Kick gives you a one-time turbocharged and fully accurate move to totally finish an opponent that could have taken a hit or two (Looks at Celesteela).

[​IMG]

Time to judge!
    Well, well, Deoxys-A does win. While Pheromosa is great due to having a usable ability in comparison to Deoxys-A, as it has a non-risky way to boost its stats. Pheromosa is also faster and can run more sets in comparison to Deoxys-A but why did it lose? Pheromosa is offensively strong, but for a tier like Ubers with its pantheon of hard hitters, Pheromosa just doesn't hit hard enough all the time, unlike Deoxys-A!

Deoxys - A's 180/180 attack spread along with its assortment of moves lets it hit everything in the tier for a good amount of damage. Pheromosa, on the other hand, struggles against Ghost-types way too much, and some of the very bulky Steel-types, like say Celesteela or Solgaleo, can take a hit or two (and somewhere in it's castle, Aegislash guffawed at the thought of a HighJump Kick connecting). Pheromosa's lack of priority attacks are also a negative, and sadly, Pheromosa has a very limited movepool, which makes it very predictable at times—ultimately making Deoxys-A the better 'mon. Deoxys-A can just circumvent this problem with Knock Off or Dark Pulse. Well the only thing truly stopping Deoxys-A would be, wait for it, Mega Sableye.

Deoxys-A and Pheromosa are both strong nukes to have around. One is a tried and tested Man O' War and the other, a wannabe superstar. When it comes to Ubers, Deoxys-A should be always the better choice to use. As such, Pheromosa is at best, a niche option over Deoxys.
    Deoxys-A takes the title of the very first Role Rumble!
    THE BEST NUKE IN UBERS!

[​IMG]
    What are your thoughts and opinion on Deoxys-A and/or Pheromosa in SM Ubers? How have you used them? How do you battle against them? Got other Pokémon to clash in the next Role Rumble? I am all ears, and so is everyone here at the Articles subforum! Don't be shy; go ahead and post!​

Joyverse and Annoying Orange like this.
  31. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    :v

Also changes reflected on the OP.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  32. E.T.

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    Approved. Do you want to release this tomorrow, which is Saturday, March 4th? If not, the release date will probably need to be pushed back toward the end of next week or that weekend.

33. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Can't go that far. I'll take the March 4th slot.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.