1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Cloudflare Security Issue - Change Your Passwords!

Hello there, Guest!

Cloudflare, the internet proxy we use to protect ourselves against DDoS and other malicious attacks, reported on 23rd February 2017 that they had patched a bug reported by Google's Project Zero that was exposing sensitive information in random requests, approximately 0.00003% of all requests, since September 2016.

Whilst it is unlikely that any information has been leaked from this website, we recommend that all users change their passwords here on the Pokémon Online forums, as a precaution. Remember to use a unique and secure password for every site that requires one.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Main PO Server has moved hosts!, Guest!

The new advanced connection for the official Pokémon Online server is 137.74.231.216:5080. No other IP addresses other than those listed in this announcement are for the main official server.

Dismiss Notice

Player Interview: diamondslight and JoyFrost

Discussion in 'Articles' started by E.T., Jan 20, 2017.

Moderators: E.T.
  1. E.T.

E.T. Proud Member Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    [​IMG]

Welcome to another edition of Player Interview! In this edition, @diamondslight and @JoyFrost are here to give the readers a glimpse into what it's like to be the Challenge Cup Gym Leaders for the PO League. Both of them are moderators for the PO Server, and they have had plenty of experience playing Challenge Cup in the Tournaments channel. diamondslight has been successful in Challenge Cup for so long that his name is probably the first that most people think of when Challenge Cup is mentioned, and JoyFrost, who usually is a very busy Gym Leader due to the amount of challenges she gets, is participating in her third consecutive season as Challenge Cup Gym Leader. With that introduction out of the way, let's proceed to the interview!

1. How did you first discover PO?

diamondslight:
    I first discovered PO back in November 2011 when my friends and I wanted to play Pokémon without having to use our DS.

JoyFrost: I discovered PO when I was in a FB Pokemon-related group. I was one of the admins, and we were planning to play a Pokémon battle, and the winner would win some prize money. I went on Google and searched "Pokémon battle simulator"; the first result that came up was Pokemon Online. I downloaded the app and then tried it; it was good, so I recommended it to everyone and used it for our tournament.

2. How long have you been playing Challenge Cup?

diamondslight: I've been playing Challenge Cup for over five years, and it never gets old.

JoyFrost: Few months before I joined, I was trying to explore different tiers, so I tried every single fun tier.

3. What is your most favorite and least favorite Pokémon and why?

diamondslight: I might not have a least favorite Pokémon, but my most favorite Pokémon is Delibird because of how well it's designed.

JoyFrost: This is kinda hard to choose because I have two favorite Pokémon, Lopunny and Umbreon. Worst would be any Fire-type starter or pure Fire-type Pokémon. The "typical" Charmander fan favorite bugged me when I was kid, so I started to hate Fire-type starters. LOL.

4. If you had to rank the variants of Challenge Cup from best to worst, how would you rank them?

diamondslight: To me, my ranking would be Challenge Cup > CC 1v1 > WiFi CC 1v1 > Inverted Challenge Cup > Hackmons WiFi CC 1v1 > Hackmons Challenge Cup > Hackmons CC 1v1 > Inverted Hackmons CC.

JoyFrost: Inverted Challenge Cup > Hackmons Challenge Cup > Challenge Cup > Hackmons Inverted Challenge Cup.

5. Is there a significant degree of strategy involved in Challenge Cup, or is it all about being lucky?

diamondslight: It's mostly about luck, but the strategy is to make the best of your team no matter how good or bad it is.

JoyFrost: Well I can say it's 60% luck and 40% skills. Having a really good team helps a lot and is one of the key features to win. Also, skills are needed because you need to be very aware of the level of the Pokémon and things like "will the foe outspeed my Pokémon?". It's not about just pressing the move buttons randomly and choosing the one that hits harder; you have to be very careful with your moves, as single HP chip on your Pokémon means a lot. Also, I guess you need think about the right switch-ins too.

6. If you could be a Gym Leader for a different tier, which tier would you choose?

diamondslight: HGSS OU because that's when I first started playing Pokémon more competitively, so I have more insight on what teams I like and don't like.

JoyFrost: ORAS UU :)

7. How does it feel to be a Challenge Cup Gym Leader?

diamondslight: It feels very good to become a Challenge Cup Gym leader because it shows that you're one of the best when it comes to a tier that's random every time you play it.

JoyFrost: Fun and less stress!

8. What are the top 5 zaniest situations that have happened in your gym battles?

diamondslight: I had so many different situations that I would be here all day, but the one that sticks out the most is when I was down four to one. All I had was a Jynx with Psychic and Ice Beam, and my opponent had a very powerful team and on the turn that I was supposed to lose the game, I ended up getting a freeze from the Ice Beam, and at that very moment, I was able to come back and win.

JoyFrost: (Nothing really much on my Gym battles :c)
    - Got swept by an opponent's last Pokémon :c
    - My opponent always forgot it's inverted clause, and I won some battles because of that.

9. Is there anything else you’d like to say to our readers?

diamondslight: Always have fun no matter what when playing Pokémon, and if you want to have a Challenge Cup battle with me, just let me know and I'll be happy to battle you.

JoyFrost:
    :baa2:
    Keep
    Calm
    And
    Play
    Pokémon

Thanks, diamondslight and JoyFrost, for sharing some Challenge Cup experience with the readers, and good luck in your remaining Challenge Cup battles! This edition of Player Interview is coming to an end, but there will be more to come. To nominate players to be interviewed, post here or contact @E.T. on the PO forums.

diamondslight - For Being Interviewed
    JoyFrost - For Being Interviewed, Artist
    E.T. - Questions, Writer, Grammar
    Sobi - Grammar
    pokemonnerd - Questions

Do you want to contribute to Articles too? Here's How to Become an Articles Contributor.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
Moderators: E.T.