1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

3rd Gen NU Threat List

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Analyses' started by Spoof, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Spoof

Spoof Well-Known Member

Hey there! I am making this threat list and I hope you like it. If you find any error post it here or send me a Private Message / Visitor Message if you think it's something minor. Before showing my work, I will explain one little thing, since there are many Pokémon in this tier and there are better Pokémon and outclassed Pokémon I decided to make a thing named "threat level", I will explain how it works:

Threat Level:

If a Pokémon has only one *, it means that Pokémon is outclassed, lacks movepool, has low base stats or all of these.

If a Pokémon has **, that Pokémon is usable, but requires a lot of prediction to be used and may not work sometimes.

*** is the max level, it means that Pokémon is easy to use, which is cool if you are a newbie and is not outclassed inside the tier.

One last thing, if you think I should change the threat level of any Pokémon, post it here and let me and other people discuss. Without further ado, I present you my threat list:

---

Aipom -
    [​IMG]

Type(s): Normal
    Base Stats: 55 HP / 70 Atk / 55 Def / 40 SpA / 55 SpD / 85 Spe
    Abilities : Run Away / Pick Up
    Threat Level: *

Aipom's base stats are low by NU's average, but Aipom can still support its team by spreading paralysis around or using Baton Pass in conjunction with Agility. It is outclassed by Pidgeot and other Normal-type Pokémon on the offensive, but when paired with them, Aipom can open holes on your foe's team before bringing in the main sweeper by killing their Rock-type Pokémon with a predicted Focus Punch, its main advantage over the bird.

Ariados -
    [​IMG]

Type(s): Bug / Poison
    Base Stats: 70 HP / 90 Atk / 70 Def / 60 SpA / 60 SpD / 40 Spe
    Abilities: Insomnia / Swarm
    Threat Level: **

The NU tier is full of Bug-Type Pokémon but Ariados shines among thanks to its exclusive move, Spider Web. It works exactly like Mean Lock and can be used in conjunction with Baton Pass which fortunately, Ariados learns. Some more of Ariados qualities include its high attack and two excellent abilities, Insomnia is useful for sleep absorving but Swarm allows Ariados to sweep by itself using the combination of Agility, to boost its low speed and Substitute to activate Swarm and a pinch berry if you opt for one.

Beedrill -
    [​IMG]

Type(s): Bug / Poison
    Base Stats: 65 HP / 80 Atk / 40 Def / 45 SpA / 80 SpD / 75 Spe
    Ability: Swarm

At the first glance, Beedrill looks similar to Ariados as they have the same typing, exclusive moves and acess to Agility and Baton Pass, but their base stats are distributed in a very different way: Beedrill is much faster and thanks to that, can make use a Choice Band way better than Ariados which has higher physical stats but needs Agility to pose an offensive threat. It can also use a Swords Dance set, with Brick Break, Sludge Bomb and Hidden Power Bug or Twineedle, its unique move or even abuse Endeavor, combinated with Substitute and its ability, Swarm.

Bellossom -
    [​IMG]

Type(s): Grass
    Base Stats: 75 HP / 80 Atk / 85 Def / 90 SpA / 100 SpD / 50 Spe
    Ability: Chlorophyll
    Threat Level: ***

Bellossom is an excellent Pokémon to use in NU because of its amazing base stats, having the forth highest Special Defense in the whole tier, only surpassed by Kecleon, Ledian and Togetic, it also has an amazing support movepoll, which is typical of the Grass-Type Pokémon, it includes: Sleep Powder, Stun Spore, Leech Seed, Toxic and Moonlight or Synthesis for healing its HP. On the offensive, Bellossom can use the famous SunnyBeam combination for some sucess, even with Fire-Type Pokémon like Flareon ready to wall it.

Butterfree -
    [​IMG]

Type(s): Bug / Flying
    Base Stats: 60 HP / 45 Atk / 50 Def / 80 SpA / 80 SpD / 70 Spe
    Ability: Compoundeyes

Butterfree is a strange Pokémon. It is outclassed by Venomoth, another NU Bug-Type Pokémon with much higher base stats, except on Special Defense, that won't help Butterfree anyways since it is weak to most special attacking types like Fire, Ice and Electric. Venomoth also has a much better movepool, with moves like Sludge Bomb, Baton Pass and Signal Beam, all of which Butterfree would like to have. However, there is one thing that makes Butterfree usable: its ability: Compoundeyes. It boosts the accuracy of its moves and offers it a Sleep Powder, a Stun Spore and a Toxic with only 3% chance of missing, giving Butterfree an advantage over its rival moth and a niche on this metagame full of Bug Pokémon.

Cacturne -
    [​IMG]

Type(s): Grass / Dark
    Base Stats: 70 HP / 115 Atk / 60 Def / 115 SpA / 60 SpD / 55 Spe
    Ability: Sand Veil

Cacturne's base stat distribution is very unbalanced and that's the reason why it is NU. It has sky high offensive stats, but its low speed and lack of priority stops it of sweeping teams, on the defensive it has a great supporting movepool but its defences are low compared to other Pokémon. Despite that, it is effective in the lower tiers and is usually seen running an offensive Substitute set with Focus Punch or Leech Seed as the main move and Needle Arm, Thunderpunch or Hidden Power Ice to complement it. It can also run a Choice Band set or a Destiny Bond one with a Salac Berry, but they are less effective.

Castform -
    [​IMG]

Type(s): Normal
    Base Stats: 70 HP / 70 Atk / 70 Def / 70 SpA / 70 SpD / 70 Spe
    Ability: Forecast

Castform is NU because of its base stats. They are very balanced but at the same time low and that stops Castform from doing a good job, however, it has a huge movepool with access to attacks like Flamethrower or stronger variations as in case of Fire Blast, that combined with its ability, allows Castform to make use of all the existing weather and check the abusers of it, for example: Bellossom and Huntail. It is usually running a set with Thunder Wave as the main move to cripple anything before dying and three coverage moves. It is also seen as a weather abuser, but it is less effective because Castform needs to be faster to deal damage and it only lasts five turns.

Chimecho -
    [​IMG]

Type(s): Psychic
    Base Stats: 65 HP / 50 Atk / 70 Def / 95 SpA / 80 SpD / 65 Spe
    Ability: Levitate

Chimecho is one of the cutest Pokémon ever, but don't underestimate it! It's a great Calm Mind sweeper, if not the best in the NU tier, with a high base SpA and decent coverage with Psychic and Hidden Power Dark, Fire or Electric. Chimecho is also able to support its team very well with moves like Hypnosis or Yawn for sleeping its foes, Heal Bell, both protecting screens, Taunt among others. It also learns Curse, but the fact it has a low attack and a horrible physical movepool doesn't let Chimecho use Curse effectively.

Corsola -
    [​IMG]

Type(s): Water / Rock
    Base Stats: 55 HP / 55 Atk / 85 Def / 65 SpA / 85 SpD / 35 Spe
    Abilities: Natural Cure / Hustle

Impressively, Corsola can do a good job in the NU tier thanks to its ability, Natural Cure, Recover and Calm Mind, along with a good offensive coverage given by Surf and Ice Beam or Hidden Power Grass. Its support movepool is decent for a Rock-type Pokémon with acess to things like Reflect, Light Screen, Confuse Ray and Mirror Coat. Corsola's other trait, Hustle, coupled with its excellent physical movepool, including attacks like Rock Slide, Earthquake, Explosion and Shadow Ball allows it to use a Choice Band for some effectivity, even with Relicanth and Sudowoodo having some trump cards over it.

Crawdaunt -
    [​IMG]

Type(s): Water / Dark
    Base Stats: 63 HP / 120 Atk / 85 Def / 90 SpA / 55 SpD / 55 Spe
    Abilities: Hyper Cutter / Shell Armor

Crawdaunt is the typical Dark-type Pokémon, with very unbalanced base stats. By one side, Crawdaunt's 120 base attack make sure every physical move he uses is going to do a lot of damage, even if your foe's Pokémon resist it, and its high Defense let it set up a Swords Dance or two easily, but its Speed stops it of sweeping. Its Special Defense is low too, but is compensated by Crawdant's average list of resists to special types, which are: Water, Ice, Dark, Fire and Psychic. It is usually seen using a Swords Dance set with Return, Ancientpower and Surf or Crunch to abuse its STAB and defeat some physical walls.

Delibird -
    [​IMG]

Type(s): Ice / Flying
    Base Stats: 45 HP / 55 Atk / 45 Def / 65 SAtk / 45 SpD / 75 Spe
    Abilities: Hustle / Vital Spirit

Delibird lost Spikes in the transition to the 3rd Gen, but got Hustle and Choice Band, allowing it to deliver some damage with Focus Punch, a Hidden Power of choice, and Aerial Ace, that bypasses Hustle's secondary effect. It can also run a Special Sweeping set with Ice Beam, Water Pulse and Hidden Power Grass for unresisted coverage, as your ability use Vital Spirit because you won't need Hustle's attack boost and it allow you to be a nice to check Bellossom, Butterfree and other Pokémon with Sleep inducing moves. The fourth slot can be used for a support move; Rapid Spin gets a special mention because only it, Hitmonchan and NFE Pokémon are able to learn it in NU. Other options are Body Slam for paralysis or Quick Attack for revenge killing faster threats.

Dewgong -
    [​IMG]

Type(s): Water / Ice
    Base Stats: 90 HP / 70 Atk / 80 Def / 70 SpA / 95 SpD / 70 Spe
    Ability: Thick Fat

Dewgong is in this tier because it is completely outclassed by Lapras and Walrein in higher metagames, but inside NU, Dewgong isn't outclassed at all! Surf and Ice Beam give it almost perfect coverage, only failing at hitting for at least neutral damage Crawdaunt, other Dewgong, Huntail, Seaking and Wailord. Its support movepool isn't huge, but is enough to differentiate from other Pokémon, Encore, Perish Song and Toxic are just some examples of that. It can also use Fake Out to knock out faster, weakened threats, but base 70 attack limits its use to only that and it's better to abuse your high base power STABs.

---

This is all by now. You can contribute if you want, too.

This Pastebin has the Pokémon I'm going to write: http://pastebin.com/HGrjBaqU

One last thing, I want to thanks mods and megausers from indigo plateau, Crystal Moogle, Loose Weavilez / Weavilewinz, kokoloko, Lady Umb and the others for giving me support and checking some things :3

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  2. Archerknight

Archerknight Legends

PO Trainer Name:
    Archerknight
    Very nice work so far! I think the threat level of Crawdaunt should be 2, as many NU adv teams can easily revenge kill it with either HP grass or Thunderbolt, because of its bad Sp.def

3. Marche Radiuju

Marche Radiuju crush it casually

PO Trainer Name:
    Juggler
    In your introduction, you have 'think' where 'thing' should be in a few places ;)

I'd like to know exactly how well Aipom's Focus Punch does against Mawile (with and without Intimidate), Sudowoodo, and Relicanth, if you wouldn't mind. Otherwise didn't see very much wrong, but the use of 'weasel words' like most and usually feels odd.

Perhaps putting the rating of the pokemon outside of the spoiler tag and/or showing the base stat total alongside the stats would help.

Great list, hope it's finished soon :)

Edit: I agree with Archerknight; with Haunter and Plusle around, Crawdaunt needs a bit of predicting or assistance to sweep.

4. Spoof

Spoof Well-Known Member

Fixed the think / thing and changed the threat level of Crawdaunt, also, I have the calculations for Juggler:

Aipom's Focus Punch VS -

252 HP / 80 Def + Relicanth - 66.3% - 78.2%

252 HP / 200 Def + Mawile - 108.6% - 128.3%

252 HP / 200 Def + Mawile /w Intimidate - 72.4% - 85.5%

252 HP / 104 Def Sudowoodo - 84.3% - 99.4%

It is outclassed by Vigoroth and other Normal-type Choice Banded Pokémon, but for a reason I gave him threat level *

EDIT: Do I need to write about all Pokémon? Saying they're outclassed by Pokémon X, Pokémon Y doesn't really help people :/

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  5. Marche Radiuju

PO Trainer Name:
    Juggler
    I don't think you need to go too in detail about every Pokemon, but saying what each has as a strength would be worthwhile, I think. Like how you said that Butterfree is outclassed on offense by Venomoth, but can still help as status spreader. Like how Minun is outclassed by Plusle, though, the difference is much smaller; you can give basically the same description, but say how Plusle is the stronger of the two offensive-wise.

6. Spoof

Spoof Well-Known Member

But those cases are minor, Plusle and Minun have almost the same BST, but writing about Delcatty, which is Outclassed by Lickitung at Wishing, Chimecho and even Sudowoodo at Calm Mind is a total waste of time. Same with Unown, Luvdisc, Beautifly and other Pokémon.

Added Delibird, by the way.

7. Marche Radiuju

PO Trainer Name:
    Juggler
    Yeah, for extreme things, I wouldn't bother. This isn't an extensive study of each Pokemon's role in the tier, just things to watch out for I think.

No cutting down Luvdisc though. Fastest Hydro Pump in the tier :P

Edit: mind = blown.

ty archer

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  8. Archerknight

Archerknight Legends

PO Trainer Name:
    Archerknight
    Agreed then, don't do the awful, but Castform isn't that bad. 70Sp.Atk can still hurt, with its good movepool. Keep this up, and we'll get to Wigglytuff soon. XD

Delibird wants a threat level 1. It can't switch in on most attacking moves, and things like Relicanth are nearly in every team.

Juggler, you posted the same thing twice.

9. Spoof

Spoof Well-Known Member

Luvdisc can't learn Hydro Pump @ Juggler

Also, I have put Castform in the list by mistake, I tested it with Jirachier and I confirm, it is usable in some situations.

EDIT: Edited Delibird's level to one, I was still unsure about it.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  10. Spoof

Spoof Well-Known Member

bump, added dewgong.

11. Marche Radiuju

PO Trainer Name:
    Juggler
    I don't know if Dewgong should really get a three star rating. I think it should be revised after the rest of the list is done, so it has a greater number of mons to compare to. Sure, its STAB hits most things for neutral, but its 70 Special Attack probably has trouble 3HKOing the likes of Pelipper. An interesting movepool with subpar stats would make it ** in my book, but of course you're the tester. Also, Whirlpool can be used with Perish Song for limited lulz :3