1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

Ladder and Guest names

Discussion in 'Simulator Suggestions' started by Zoroark, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Zoroark

Zoroark Rakugaki Forum Moderator Server Moderator Forum Moderator Server Moderator

PO Trainer Name:
    SkyPhoenix / Zoroark
    So tonight I bumped with a case that sort of made me sad. A user with a default guest name and a ladder score of 1451 in ORAS OU contacted me to know if it was possible to transfer ladder points from his guest name to any other name he could create since default guest names cannot be registered, naturally this is impossible, which made him get a bit sad. And this made me think, why are default guest names able to register ladder score in the first place...? They can't be registered, they can't participate in tours, but they can register ladder scores? This doesn't make much sense. And you may think: "Nah but they should know that they have to get a name of their own first" well yeah, this is what everyone suggests, but in the case of guests, they don't have the "Enable Ladder" toggle option, they only have the option to check or uncheck force rated, which gets you rated battles anyways. And since default guest names are just a name filler for those in Webclient/Droid I think they should not be able to get ladder points anyways. I'm not going to suggest ladder points to become transferable because probably someone will come up with the "It's too complicated to make and coding it will destroy PO" phrase (although this could considerably reduce the amount of unused alts in the ladder).

2. JoyFrost

JoyFrost :thonk: Forum Moderator Server Administrator Social Media Rep Forum Moderator Server Administrator Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    JoyFrost
    Personally I am not in favor of registering guest name Mainly because it's really hard to identify or remember their names. Also in "high ladder points", I don't know why he didn't noticed it from the very start, if I recall correctly if you have around 1250+ ladder points, you will be informed (everytime you log in) to register your alt to avoid someone from stealing your points. If he just pay attention to it, he will discover it early that his alt can't be registered.

I would suggest though, that there should be a message that will pop up on their screen saying "Your default guest name cannot be registered, please choose a unique alt to enjoy Pokemon Online services" or something like that.

Also transferring points won't reduce unused alt, they mainly ladder on different alt to boost their win/loss ratio (because sometimes no matter how good you are, hax will stay by your side), and it's easier to achieve more points if you have a good win/loss record.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  3. Zoroark

Zoroark Rakugaki Forum Moderator Server Moderator Forum Moderator Server Moderator

PO Trainer Name:
    SkyPhoenix / Zoroark
    Just as a note, I don't recall suggesting guest names to be register-able. Just to prevent them from gaining ladder points as a preventive method.

4. JoyFrost

JoyFrost :thonk: Forum Moderator Server Administrator Social Media Rep Forum Moderator Server Administrator Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    JoyFrost
    Okay the only thing that will prevent them from gaining points is by making an "unrated" match. There are a lot of things we need to consider, like the ladder of unrated match player base is too low that maybe before they experience PO they will get bored because they wont be able to find battle and they will be frustrated and leave so we're losing potential players.