1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Cloudflare Security Issue - Change Your Passwords!

Hello there, Guest!

Cloudflare, the internet proxy we use to protect ourselves against DDoS and other malicious attacks, reported on 23rd February 2017 that they had patched a bug reported by Google's Project Zero that was exposing sensitive information in random requests, approximately 0.00003% of all requests, since September 2016.

Whilst it is unlikely that any information has been leaked from this website, we recommend that all users change their passwords here on the Pokémon Online forums, as a precaution. Remember to use a unique and secure password for every site that requires one.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Dismiss Notice

[Monotype] Tapu Lele Suspect Discussion (Banned)

Discussion in 'Gen 7 Side Metagames' started by sulcata, Feb 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: fsk
  1. sulcata

sulcata cory is #1 bae Tiering Administrator Server Administrator Tiering Administrator Server Administrator

Please use this thread to discuss Tapu Lele and its effects on the Monotype metagame. Justify why it is or isn't broken.

This suspect discussion will last more or less two weeks.

Annoying Orange likes this.
  2. Edna

Edna I'm like Cinderella with an umbrella Forum Moderator Forum Moderator

PO Trainer Name:
    Edna
    Tapu Lele is an awesome pokemon to abuse in Monotype, especially in Monopsy: its ability is amazing, making it impossible to take priority moves, as such it's not revenge killable by the likes of Scizor or Dragonite or Azu. In top of that it does give a boost to psychic moves to all pokemon for 5 turns. This is where it gets tricky, because that boost can become very important in order to counter Lele or other Psy mons such as Mega Metagross which gets a huge advantage of this.

Beside the amazing ability, Tapu Lele really has very good stats to abuse Choice Scarf/Specs/Ebelt/Twisted Spoon/Z move, having access to Stab Psychic/Psyshock and Stab Moonblast with Hidden Power Fire and Focus Blast gives it perfect coverage. Choice specs is literally impossible to switch into unless you guess if it goes to a psychic stab or another stab. If you don't have a Dark Pokemon you can be sure it's going to spam easily Psychic and smash your team.

Pretty much the sheer power that Lele has and the very good movepool it has it what makes it very hard to deal with and this is why in my opinion it deserves to be banned

E.T. and Funbot28 like this.
  3. That boy

That boy New Member

--- Post updated ---
    Tapu lele is seems kinda unfair due to it having like 3 counters and those counters still struggle due to the coverage lele has. Spdef mega scizor takes about 59% from hp fire without aid of life orb or specs, brozong can't keep switching in because of lack of recovery, and magearna sounds good it has pain spilt I would say that's the only good counter. But not everybody runs mono steel or fairy.

4. Joyverse

Joyverse Road Roller time!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    OK.

Tapu Lele is an excellent Pokemon to have. Especially in MonoPsychic, as not just it hit especially hard but also lets other notable threats such as Mega Metagross to hit harder with their Psychic STABs. Also with Terrain up, one of the most notable Psychic Mono destroyers - Bisharp is nearly deadweight against it. As Carl mentioned, it is able to abuse a lot of useful items as well as having perfect coverage. The most that'll check Lele is Celesteela, Magearna and maybe maybe TTar but that's the most I faced with, there might be more.

I haven't used in Fairy yet but I can say that the utility it provides by protecting its teammates from Bullet Punches is a definite plus. That's the most I can say of it.

I am towards no particular side tbh. I just wanted to add to the discussion.

5. Annoying Orange

Annoying Orange sweet creature Server Moderator Social Media Rep Server Moderator Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    to put in short, it has very few switchins, and even less in monotype due to limitations. and once your switchins are weakened or taken out, its easy to pick off Pokemon. It also powers up the rest of its team if you're using psychic and prevents priority. It's hard to work around with the limitations of monotype unless you're running steel.

Joyverse likes this.
  6. E.T.

E.T. Proud Member Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    Tapu Lele can be difficult to switch into if you aren't running Steel-types due to its STAB + Psychic Terrain boosted Psychic / Psyshock. Normally, Dark-types would also be a reliable way of causing problems for Psychic-types, but Tapu Lele's STAB Moonblast make Dark-types an unreliable way of dealing with Tapu Lele. Since this is Monotype, the available options for dealing with Tapu Lele are limited, since not every type has bulky Steel-types to switch into it. To further complicate things, Tapu Lele can viably run Choice Scarf, Choice Specs, and Z-Move sets effectively, which can add to the difficulty of predicting what it will do.

I haven't had many opportunities to play with Tapu Lele in Monotype, but like others have said, Psychic Surge is extremely helpful to Psychic teams because it blocks priority for frail sweepers like Mega Alakazam while also increasing the power of everyone's STAB Psychic moves.

I can see where being able to block priority, particularly Bullet Punch, could be helpful to Fairy, but Psychic Surge could also be a hindrance to Azumarill and Klefki. Apart from blocking Bullet Punch, the power boost granted to Gardevoir or Fairy-types with Psychic coverage is the only other benefit Psychic Terrain offers Fairy teams.

Due to Tapu Lele's versatility, the difficulty of finding ways to reliably stop it, and the support it offers its teams (mainly on Psychic teams), I think Tapu Lele should be banned from Monotype.

Joyverse and Edna like this.
  7. Funbot28

Funbot28 Active Member

Yeh dont want to echo what others said, but honestly u need a Lele on every Psychic team due to how much support it brings + its ability to demolish some MUs like Dark and Fighting. However, I wanted to know, are we gonna do Type bans like we did last gen? Cause if so I can definitely see it being banned on Psychic, but maybe we can leave it on Fairy for now?

8. Edna

Edna I'm like Cinderella with an umbrella Forum Moderator Forum Moderator

PO Trainer Name:
    Edna
    It's better not to ban only in one types for the majority of the cases, last gen we did an exception with zard x due to matchups being really neutral but Lele is still a force to be reckon with in Fairy as well, plus you have a lot of amazing mon that would totally take profit of Psy terrain such as Diancie for example, so extending the ban to Fairy is also good

Funbot28 likes this.
  9. E.T.

E.T. Proud Member Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    Since this suspect was opened on February 17th, I think this condition has been met. Also, the discussion has pretty unanimously been "ban Tapu Lele", so I think this suspect needs to conclude soon so that we can move on to other issues.

sulcata likes this.
  10. sulcata

sulcata cory is #1 bae Tiering Administrator Server Administrator Tiering Administrator Server Administrator

Yeah, ban Tapu Lele from Monotype. If it needs to be revisted later we can. Unfortunately not a whole lot to go on but this works.

Joyverse likes this.
Moderators: fsk
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.