1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[Community] He Still Exists? -- Joeypals' 2K Post

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Joeypals!!, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Joeypals!!

Joeypals!! Don't you worry 'bout a thing~

PO Trainer Name:
    Joeypals
    Cringy fucking 1k thread here.

Hey everyone, it's Joey. So, I finally did it. I became obsessed enough with something that's supposedly been dead since 2014 to where I now have 2K posts. I really don't have a life, do I? Eh... no, I do, I shouldn't be that hard on myself. Instead, I'd like to share with you the last couple of years in terms of real life stuff and go from there.

I think a good starting place would be when I was hired at my current job back in January 2016 -- Ultra Foods. This hiring came after a pretty rocky year and a half, where I ended up flunking out of college because of a lot of emotional and confidence issues I was facing at the time (though it did get better toward the end, as slightly evidenced by the creation of Question of the Day back in October 2015... Jesus it's almost been a year and a half). I knew I needed a break, and my mom wasn't having it, so this is what I faced. As odd as it seems, the experience ended up making me much more grounded, and something inside developed into a wave of confidence throughout 2016. I started dabbling with all sorts of personal things in my life, becoming hands on in a couple other communities outside of Pokemon Online and massively growing my social circle, and frankly I've been a lot happier ever since. If you asked me a year ago if I thought I could count big YouTubers as people in my friend circle, I would've laughed at you and told you to fuck off. But as I type today, I can safely say that Bird Keeper Toby, AlmightyMandals (Jensen), and BLAZINGKNIGHT (Lewis) are some of the best friends that I have.

Over the last year, I've launched a couple of projects as well. First and foremost, I launched a YouTube channel... twice. Originally, my plan was to do a channel which covered the Top 100 every week a la Jillboard 100, but after a couple copystrike warnings followed by a strike itself over Rihanna's "Work", I laid low for a while. I eventually relaunched in the latter half of 2017 with a much smoother pace, and I'm far happier with what I've accomplished. I may not have many subscribers (the numbers are comparable with PO's active online users, which I do hope to improve... more on that later), but I've made a few series of videos that, at present, I'm very happy with. I've done two collabs with people, the second being with Lewis and I'm absolutely ecstatic about it. If you wanna watch that and watch me kick @Professor Oak's ass with a Samurott, click this link here, where we discussed the Top 10 Overrated Fire Emblem Units. Personally I think my voice is cringy on tape but there's so many things about that that just worked, so I recommend giving it a watch. Besides that I've done some things with Pokemon and Kid Icarus: Uprising, the latter of which I now have the WR for (it just got approved today! Check it out here!) and will be improving thanks to some pointers given to me by Professor Oak. I'm hoping to get under 4h eventually.

YouTube isn't the only thing I've done aha. Unless you're living under a rock, you may have noticed that General Chat (and subsequently Lake of Rage) are now under my domain, and I'm thankful for everyone that nominated me for the position. I was pretty sure I'd never get trusted with any sort of power here, and even if this forum is basically my bedroom that visitors have access to, I'm grateful nonetheless for the opportunity.

In addition to that, let's talk Big Brother. Big Brother was launched originally on Pokebeach (which I refuse to link to) in a much more cringy fashion with far less explained and less laid out fashion, which relied on live play instead of time periods. Me launching Big Brother here was a two-fold experiment -- seeing if I could bolster Pokemon Online's playerbase with a blitz of publicity, as well as seeing if I could make a much better version. While the first portion may have failed (I'll be making sure things will go much better in terms of that the second time around with some more direct hand-playing), the second portion was a resounding success in my eyes. Despite the flaws present (and how was I supposed to know how most of those existed before we added, you know, people?), the game is some of my strongest work for Pokemon Online and I hope to be continuing it in the future, spicing up the gameplay each time.

So, what of the future? Well, to be completely honest, the future is the most gray because I have no idea what'll be coming up for the rest of 2017. What I do know is that Big Brother #1 will be ending in about 2 weeks time, with Hurricane, DracoNova, EvilDingoRobot, or Jethalal being crowned the winner, my 21st birthday is in just over 2 weeks, and on my 21st birthday I'll be applying for the REAL Big Brother in Chicago's open call. Who knows, I might make it on and if you guys give me a hat or something to wear on the show with Pokemon Online's logo and name, the amount of free publicity would be great. Just food for thought :) I'll also (hopefully, depending on how the approval process goes) be launching Big Brother 2 regardless of if I get on the show or not in November again, so that's something to look forward too.

I'll wrap up the "Hey, this is my life, let's talk about it" sector by linking to some of my favorite songs as of typing this (in no particular order).

Ed Sheeran -- Dive
    Katy Perry ft. Skip Marley -- Chained To The Rhythm
    Zedd and Alessia Cara -- Stay
    The Chainsmokers and Coldplay -- Something Just Like This
    Little Mix -- Shout Out To My Ex
    Sabrina Carpenter -- Thumbs
    Kygo and Selena Gomez -- It Ain't Me

Ask me about any other songs, I'll be more than happy to tell you my opinion.

And now, for the shoutout section. I'm going to break this up into Big Brother and General sections, because the Big Brother shoutout section is just massive.

Big Brother Shoutouts
    @Fate Testarossa -- Of course, I have to start with my lovely cohost. While you did fade on me for a bit, Big Brother wouldn't flow nearly as smoothly as it does without the both of us working together, not to mention having someone to talk about the game with is loads of fun. As always, you're an awesome dude, and I have to thank you.
    @IceKirby -- Thank you for going over the reward set as much as you did with us. While I still stand by that you should've helped me with the lower rewards instead of having me pick entirely, the Safari rewards help the game truly stand out so I have to thank you.
    @Professor Oak -- Thank you for many things, but as far as Big Brother goes, thank you for keeping me sane and acting as an unofficial third cohost while Fate was away. Your support came in at the right moment and if things were different I'd probably be blowing a fuse and being two weeks behind.
    @Ascarotte, @E.T., @Python -- Thank all three of you for helping us in terms of making the riddle and trivia challenges better.
    (if any of you changed tags sorry going off what I know) @Draciel, @Zelda, @mibuchiha, @Xaxory, @gengar17, @snaga, @Kland, @aaditya 01, @Agent K, @Sasuke Uchiha, @HBC, @Sora, @beforedawn., @Zyrader, @Hassin627, @VirajVora, @Xxdecidudeye, @HellRaka, @TraceofLife, @La.Neptune, @ajhockeystar, and @Khaloss -- I thank all of you for playing the game. While none of you made jury (yet, depends on if everyone finishes their jury duties), all of deserve a round of applause for the effort you put in. Times with you guys were sometimes good, sometimes great, and sometimes hysterical *glances at aaditya*, and I couldn't be more thankful for your participation.
    @Romantic_Guy, @HSOWA, @big succ d, @NAVIDAD PIRATE, @Atli -- First off, congratulations on making Jury! All of you played some hard games and most certainly did your best, but somewhere things just fell apart for you and ended up making you the target to take out. Like those tagged above you, I thank all of you for your participation, and when Big Brother 2 comes, I hope you guys can do just as well or maybe even better.
    @Hurricane, @Jethalal, @EvilDingoRobot, @DracoNova -- Congrats on making Top 4! All of you played the games you needed to to get to this point, the question now becomes who can clinch it. In just about 2 weeks time, we'll be crowning/have crowned a winner to this game, and I personally can't wait to see who it is. I'm happy for all four of you, and I wish the four of you the best of luck.

General shoutouts
    @fitzy, @mibuchiha, @Fate Testarossa, @Petit Dragon, @Hurricane, @Zony11 -- You guys make up my core group of Pyramid partners, and we've definitely had some good runs (and frustrating ones too!). For joining me in Pyramid so much, I thank all 6 of you.
    fitzy and mibuchiha -- Thank you both for joining me for Jethalal's event. We'll crush the competition no matter what it takes.
    Fate Testarossa -- Thank you for being such an amazing friend over the years, and I hope that our bonds stays as solid as it is now.
    @Zoroark -- Thank you as well for being an awesome person. You're very similar to Fate, but not Fate, thus you have a personality type I like. Stay true to you and the rest will follow.
    @Karp Karpity -- Thank you for being a great friend, even if we had a bit of a rough patch because I thought one of the posts I had you make for me was unreadable.
    @beforedawn. -- Despite having a weird rough patch where you thought I hated you because I refused (and still refuse) to take you to Pyramid, I still think you're a great person who also shouldn't change.
    @MUMU -- Our relationship is weird, but you are real, I gotta give you that. In my opinion, you need to be a bit more open to criticism, as that's the main thing separating us. If you can open up a little more then things will be awesome, I just see the potential right now and I want to open that up.

I think that's everyone, I tagged just about everyone relevant on Pokemon Online in 2017 so hopefully I didn't forget you and if I did, I truly apologize. Feel free to ask me any questions about my real life, my music tastes, or anything else, and I'll be happy to respond. The overall feeling on Pokemon Online is that we're dead, but I know damn well we're still alive. Let's use that energy and thrive.

~Joeypals

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    Agent K, Zoroark, HBC and 10 others like this.
  2. EvilDingoRobot

EvilDingoRobot HELLOOOOOOOO

PO Trainer Name:
    Duck Hunt
    hooray for joeypals

we all know whos gonna win bb

3. Joeypals!!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joeypals
    Yeah, @Fate Testarossa will. Surprise! :p

4. Jethalal

Jethalal (~o.o)~ So Spooky ~(o.o~)

PO Trainer Name:
    Jethalal
    Congrats on 2k!

Joeypals!! likes this.
  5. diamondslight

diamondslight Master of fantasy basketball :) Forum Moderator Channel Leader Forum Moderator Channel Leader

Grats on 2k posts but I don't see my name anywhere under the shoutouts. Quite a shame :(

Joeypals!! likes this.
  6. Joeypals!!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joeypals
    *shouts on top of the rooftops*

o.o I REPEAT o.o

7. Joyverse

Joyverse Back for a blast!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Whaaa? Where my shoutout go? *cries in ignored*

Check who was the first to reply in first QoTD ever! >:|

Gratzu on the 2K man!

Joeypals!! likes this.
  8. Professor Oak

Professor Oak same Forum Administrator Server Owner Social Media Rep Forum Administrator Server Owner Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Professor Oak
    fucking postwhore (says the person with the third highest number of public posts)

grats joey! glad I could help out, just pls ensure that bb2 is better so I don't have to lmao

Fate Testarossa and Joeypals!! like this.
  9. Xdevo

Xdevo Phrasing Super Moderator Tour Director Super Moderator Tour Director

fuck you too

Joeypals!! and Professor Oak like this.
  10. EvilDingoRobot

EvilDingoRobot HELLOOOOOOOO

PO Trainer Name:
    Duck Hunt
    haha irrelevants

Joeypals!! likes this.
  11. Cheezeburgar

Cheezeburgar dankest john

PO Trainer Name:
    John
    Congrats Joey

Joeypals!! likes this.
  12. Joeypals!!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joeypals
    You guys are free to ask q's you know, even though I appreciate all the "congrats" lol

13. Annoying Orange

Annoying Orange sweet creature Server Moderator Social Media Rep Server Moderator Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    disgusting

14. pokemonnerd

pokemonnerd Only uso listens to pnerd. Devo too. Article Contributor Article Contributor

First question: where are the shitouts?

15. Joeypals!!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joeypals
    You see, I didn't want to spend 10 minutes talking about how @Atli's salt is fucking out of control and how he admitted in Indigo that he literally uses me to relieve himself of that salt, so I decided to give it a skip and stay with the healthy hugs

pokemonnerd likes this.
  16. Atli

Atli Time just fades the pages in my book of memories Forum Moderator Server Administrator Forum Moderator Server Administrator

PO Trainer Name:
    Atli
  17. Zoroark

Zoroark Rakugaki Forum Moderator Server Moderator Forum Moderator Server Moderator

PO Trainer Name:
    SkyPhoenix / Zoroark
    My reaction after checking the thread and the posts
    [​IMG]

Jethalal and Joeypals!! like this.
  18. Joeypals!!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joeypals
    Keep scratching that head, there'll be more for you to answer for soon enough :) btw, instead of giffing maybe you should get your Jury information in?

Anyway, back to the friendly hugs. Just wanted to give pokemonnerd an honest answer and move along.

19. Duster

Duster dodgerswin 2018

why u gotta bring the lakers into a joeypals post man

Atli, Professor Oak and Joeypals!! like this.
  20. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    '-')/

1)When do PO Profiles r4?
    2)gib me a profile uwu.
    3)Opinions on comp SM on PO. Detailing the tiers sounds k but a generalized ans works too!
    4)m/f/k Oak/Devo/F8
    5)y u no liek alcohol?
    6)y u liek oak's majestic dong?
    7Any future ideas for po?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  21. Joeypals!!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joeypals
    \('-'

Like with pokemonnerd, I'll give you honest answers.

1) PO Profiles r4 is nowhere near my agenda right now, considering we have trainer interviews and whatnot (btw we should get an anchor for that and actually put them on Pokemon Online's YouTube channel, just a Skype call. I nominate myself). If there's a strong enough demand and mods give me enough backing in terms of how to go about it, then sure, we can have PO Profiles r4.
    2) You know how much I hate begging, if you spent any time at all in Safari (which I know you have). I'm a big believer in receiving what you deserve, so if you deserve a profile, you'll get a profile. If you deserve a ban, like 2014 me did to be completely honest, you might get lucky and not get struck down but odds are you will get a ban. (I was baaaaaaaaad four years ago lmao)
    3) I'm gonna have to give a generalized answer because I'm so far removed from the competitive metagame it actually hurts. The only things I have to say are in terms of UU, which is really? You let Weavile in alongside Clefable, Latios, Bisharp, Azumarill, Rotom-W, and fucking HOOPA-U? Really people? lmfao
    4) You gave a really shitty set there lmfao. Umm... I guess marry Fate, fuck Oak, and kill Xdevo???? I have no opinions on this but I wanna give you an answer so... eeep??
    5) It's for personal reasons. Super long story short, my family doesn't exactly have the best history with alcohol. Broken windows, arrests, and the like. I really don't wanna end up doing the same thing because, if you can't tell, I'm stressed as fuuuuuuuuck so I don't need that control let loose. As a side note, surprisingly clear face on my end despite all the stress. Must be handling it better than I thought.
    6) I... don't. I REALLY fucking don't. I know I put Oak down in the "fuck" category for #4 but Oak isn't my type whatsoever. No offense Oak (I doubt you'll take any anyway lmfao)
    7) If we're gonna "save" PO, we need to start advertising PO. Hard. Like Nintendo Switch levels of advertising. What I suggest is a campaign put through mostly YouTube, including a revitalization of the YouTube channel. Like I said, I'll handle trainer interviews for the YouTube channel, but that's all I'm doing. I have my own channel to run you know! Editing and whatnot can be done by other people. I suggest having panels for suspects put onto YouTube, then comments can talk about it -- kinda like a podcast. You can figure out who's going to be on the panel each time, but it should ideally have 4 people who know something about the metagame. Let's say, for example, we were to suspect... idk, Kartana in SM OU (not that it ever would get a suspect, it's good but not that hard to play around, #HeatranProblems). Put together a panel of four people to discuss it, which you can make as simple as the SM OU council (so Xdevo sulcata Finchibutt and gengoo) or you can fish around the playerbase that actually does SM OU for opposing viewpoints so the topic has some actual counterpoint instead of someone who's pro-ban having to act like they're not because, lbr, no one's a Meryl Streep here.

Also, we need to advertise the fuck out of our games and tournaments, specifically the ones that offer money. There's definitely some sizable channels we can get some support from, it's all about building trust with those people and asking for favors when necessary. I'm not saying play people, I'm just saying if we're gonna get advertising support we need to have actual connections. For example, I have connections with Bird Keeper Toby, AlmightyMandals, and BLAZINGKNIGHT, three people who cover a pretty wide terrain. The main issue with advertising for Big Brother 1 is that, while they did make tweets and Lewis (aka BLAZINGKNIGHT) let me put a little advertisement at the end of one of his videos before our collab, there was nothing that was strictly an ad. If we need to pay for it out of PO's account, as long as it's not a ridiculous amount, then by all means do it. I personally feel we've been resting on the "po is dead" sentiment for too long, and we know we're not. So let's fix it. With numbers comes devs, with devs comes new features, with new features comes numbers, and so on. Put some spark in that cycle.

Joyverse likes this.
  22. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    1)2k14Joey was really bad, but what's new for the 2k17Joey?
    2)YT, uh. I feel like smedia for po needs a better standing. Help Oak at twitter more?
    3)What's your favourite food lmao?
    4)Gimme one area I need to improve, like a lot.

#IQotdUAllnite

23. Joeypals!!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joeypals
    1) Look at the OP buddy, already laid out my plans for this year aha. If you mean what I've already done... I've dyed my hair, so that's always cool.
    2) If you need help running a Twitter account, you're done for lmao. Like I said, emphasis needs to be put on YouTube. Twitter should focus solely on current and upcoming events.
    3) I have the fucking diet of a 7 year old lmfao. However, my favorite meal would have to be this porkchops and rice thing my mom makes. She bakes this cheesy rice as a coating for the porkchops that's in the oven too, really fucking good.
    4) Grammar. 100% grammar.

Joyverse and Agent K like this.
  24. Agent K

Agent K Ejent Kaashmir

PO Trainer Name:
    Agent K
    Congrats Joey ~ the best part of BB was @aaditya 01 *hands down*

Joeypals!! likes this.
  25. Joeypals!!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joeypals
    Oh god yeah. If @Professor Oak doesn't split that off into PO Classics after the game is over I swear to god.

Agent K likes this.
  26. Annoying Orange

Annoying Orange sweet creature Server Moderator Social Media Rep Server Moderator Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    i'll quit.

Joeypals!! likes this.
  27. Professor Oak

Professor Oak same Forum Administrator Server Owner Social Media Rep Forum Administrator Server Owner Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Professor Oak
    considering the amount of times I've had to say this, in public and private, I'm surprised there are staff members that aren't aware:

WE CAN'T DO THE YOUTUBE.

Eternal changed the password, no one knows what the password is nor can reach Eternal, so we couldn't re-enter the YT channel even if we wanted to. Starting again would cause confusion due to multiple channels, and building a userbase for it again would be a time-consuming project that we would need dedicated staff for. Add those to the fact that our YouTube died repeatedly during the years of trying to run it, and it's a project that is definitely nowhere near the forefront of our minds. So please, no more "YOUTUBE YOUTUBE YOUTUBE" bullshit, cos I've explained this too many times.

I've yet to even read the rest of the thread, I just saw Joey mention po's youtube several times, and had to explain it AGAIN.

EDIT: having now read the rest of the thread... thx for not wanting to fuck me, I guess? lol

Joeypals!! likes this.
  28. Veteran Padgett

Veteran Padgett Hex: RNG Developer Developer

PO Trainer Name:
    Veteran Padgett
  29. Joeypals!!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joeypals
  30. Xinc

Xinc Time for Oras?

RIP thanks for explaining.

Joeypals, we've chatted a lot and you're one of the few who remember me. Has anything changed in your interests in the last few years since you joined PO?

Joeypals!! likes this.
  31. Joeypals!!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joeypals
    Yes, Pokemon Online YouTube.

jkjk ahaha, ummm... shit that's a really good question. I joined Pokemon Online during 2010, early in its heyday which would have made me 14 at the time. When I was 14, I feel like I was a completely different person. Back then I was this young, shy, stupid little shit that has grown very much from that moment. As far as what my interests go, I don't think any of my old interests have changed but I've certainly gained plenty. At that time, my only passions were Pokemon and music. From then, and this is a short list, I've added Fire Emblem, Kid Icarus, YouTube, writing, and LPs. I've grown my game database and found something I'm really passionate about -- writing. I've also found joys in hosting and being a showman, and my mind is a little blanked so if you wanna ask for more details ask a followup :) Again great q.