1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, due to a lack of interest, playerbase, and general desire to continue, PO will hereby cease our separate tiering and adopt Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[Metagame] Suspect Discussion: Alakazite

Discussion in 'Gen 7 UU' started by Xdevo, Mar 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xdevo

Xdevo Sp00pyScarySkeleton Super Moderator Tour Director Super Moderator Tour Director

Discuss the possibility of Alakazite being banned from the SM UU tier.
    Use this thread to discuss Mega Alakazam's impact on the metagame. Talk about the different sets it is capable of using, and potential checks/counters. State your opinion on Mega Alakazam and if it should or shouldn't be banned from the metagame. Having no firm stance on the matter is fine too.​

All opinions are valid and discussion among players is not only allowed but encouraged, provided your opinion has solid reasoning and displays having playing with or against Mega Alakazam in the tier. Do not simply state "it's broken" or "it's not broken".​

Users that are unsure about suspect posting are encouraged to check this guide out.​

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  2. La.Melle2402

La.Melle2402 I'm the bone of my sword

165 base SpAtk and 150 base speed + a great ability makes Alakazam way to strong. The regular Zam is already a strong UU mon, the Mega is just broken thx to its great stats, a nice movepool and Trace

3. E.T.

E.T. Proud Member Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    As previously stated, Mega Alakazam's tremendous base Special Attack (it is actually 175) and base Speed allow it to easily be overwhelming in SM UU. Mega Alakazam ties Mega Aerodactyl for the highest unboosted Speed in the tier, and it is fast enough to outspeed some Choice Scarf users that may want to revenge kill it such as Chandelure. Psychic, Shadow Ball, and Focus Blast give Mega Alakazam perfect coverage, and its last move can vary depending on what it needs to do. Substitute can be used to bypass Sucker Punch users like Bisharp, who can otherwise be problematic, and it also protects Mega Alakazam from status such as Thunder Wave from the likes of Mew or Clefable. Taunt can be used for stallbreaking and protecting against status. Encore and Calm Mind are possibilities too, but Calm Mind isn't as good as the other options from what I've seen. Trace can make Mega Alakazam even more threatening when used in the right situations. Beast Boost (from Buzzwole), Levitate (gets you a free turn against Choice Scarf Flygon locked into Earthquake), and Sheer Force (from Nidoking / Nidoqueen) are a few notable examples.

Alolan Muk is probably the best switch-in to Mega Alakazam because it can eat up any of its attacks and Pursuit trap it. Priority from Pokemon such as Bisharp, Zygarde-10%, Azumarill, and Doublade can threaten it, but Bisharp has to play Sucker Punch mind games, and the others need Mega Alakazam to have taken prior damage to be able to finish it off. Alakazam (base form) with Focus Sash can also be a good revenge-killer. However, apart from Alolan Muk, none of these really want to switch into Mega Alakazam.

Overall, I think Mega Alakazam's combination of Special Attack, Speed, and perfect coverage are too much for the tier, especially considering the usefulness of Trace and the fourth moveslot, and I don't think there are enough answers for Mega Alakazam in the tier for it to deserve to stay. Therefore, I think Alakazite should be banned from SM UU.

Jethalal, Joyverse and fsk like this.
  4. Xdevo

Xdevo Sp00pyScarySkeleton Super Moderator Tour Director Super Moderator Tour Director

Due to the combination of Mega Alakazam's absurd stats, amazing movepool, Pre-mega Magic Guard, and post mega Trace, Mega Alakazam is abundantly broken in UU, and is hereby banned.

Rennyy, TSR, Highways and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.