1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, due to a lack of interest, playerbase, and general desire to continue, PO will hereby cease our separate tiering and adopt Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

Player Interview: E.T. and Joyverse

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Professor Oak, Mar 12, 2017.

Moderators: E.T.
  1. Professor Oak

Professor Oak Pimp Hand Strong Forum Administrator Server Owner Social Media Rep Forum Administrator Server Owner Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Professor Oak
    [​IMG]

It's time for another Player Interview! In this edition, we have the leaders of the Articles project, @E.T. and @Joyverse! On top of being an Articles Leader, E.T. is the LC Tier Leader and was the ORAS LC Gym Leader for the PO League too. E.T. was also recently promoted to Server Admin. His co-leader, Joyverse, is also the main Social Media Representative for the PO Facebook page! Let's get started.

Hi there guys. Thanks for taking the time to speak with me today.

E.T.: Hi.

Joyverse: No problems, sup?

What originally got you into Pokémon, and how long have you been playing Pokémon?

E.T.: I think I originally got into Pokémon as part of the “it’s the 90’s and Pokémon is new” phase that a lot of people went through at the time. My first game was Pokémon Yellow on the Game Boy Color, and I was so hopeless when I first started that I couldn’t figure out how to get out of the house at the beginning and had to ask for help. Somehow I managed to make it through the game by spamming Thunder on everything with a Pikachu that was probably absurdly over-leveled. Pokémon Snap and Pokémon Stadium were the next games that I played, and then a few years later I played through Pokémon Gold and Pokémon FireRed, but then I stopped playing Pokémon for several years. After watching some Pokemon videos on YouTube, I got curious about the “newer” games, so I got Platinum (I think this was around 2010 because Black and White were already out), and I’ve been playing games from the main series since then.

Joyverse: The anime, back when it released in my country in 2003. I instantly became a fan! I knew of the games but didn't have the chance to get them until my 10th birthday when I was gifted a NDS with Pokémon Platinum and Zelda: Spirit Tracks. Platinum still happens to be my favourite Pokemon game, and that started my life as a Pokémon gamer. I eventually got myself a GBA and played the Gen 3 games, and it went on...

What is your favourite Pokémon?

E.T.: At the moment, I think it is Necrozma. It looks cool, it sounds cool, it has a cool theme, it has a cool shiny form, and I think it is an alien. Litwik and Shinx would probably be tied for third because they are cute, but Zigzagoon would be second for being cute, functional, and the best Pick Up user.

Joyverse: I have lots of favourites. Though, I'd say Reshiram deserves a mention here. It's my favourite Gen V Pokémon. Fire and Dragon also happens to be my favourite types. That aside it has a great design, likable stats and strong signature moves. Garchomp, Infernape, and Staraptor would come next. And Igglybuff and Jigglypuff are majorly cute!

How did you both discover Pokémon Online?

E.T.: I saw some YouTube videos of people playing PO and wanted to try it out, since I had never tried a battle simulator before. I think I first downloaded PO sometime toward the end of 2011.

Joyverse: I had recently started playing on PS mid 2014, that was also when I got a Smartphone. So I decided to find a sim that works on a phone better, and that's how I stumbled into PO!

What does the Articles project do?

E.T.: Articles, as the name implies, creates a variety of articles relevant to PO or Pokémon in general. PO News, Player Interviews, Pokémon Spotlight, and Pokémon Through the Generations are few examples of the types of articles that we make.

Joyverse: Basically what E.T. said, we create articles on Pokémon and the Pokémon Online community.

What exactly does your role as Articles Leaders entail?

E.T.: As Articles Leaders, we recruit / approve prospective contributors to the project and allow them to have posting access. We approve / create ideas for new types of articles, and we also determine when articles should be released. We write / review articles as they are being made, and we approve the final drafts of articles before they are posted. As moderators, we make sure that the article threads have the proper tags and that they are locked when the article is released. We also make sure that the rules and standards stay up to date, which includes keeping track of ongoing and reserved articles in the assignment thread. We keep track of the activity of Articles Contributors so that active users get rewarded with a badge and inactive users get demoted.

Joyverse: My role? Make E.T. do everything Yeah, no. I'd say it's more or less traffic control. As Forum Moderators we both have to see to it that the project runs smoothly. Setting up dates, maintaining the assignments thread, things like that. Writing and reviewing articles is also a major part of our jobs. Also, E.T. often grammar checks at times. As for the rest, I believe E.T. has covered them.

What made you interested in leading the Articles project?

E.T.: Honestly, the main reason I was interested in leading the project was that it needed someone to lead it but nobody else really seemed interested in doing that when we were doing the initial planning. During the initial discussion, I think I did the most planning, and most of it seemed to come to me naturally, so I felt like I was the best fit to lead the project.

Joyverse: I really am not what you'd call a skilled battler when it comes to Pokémon. I just randomly spam play certain tiers, try to fit in all the ladder knowledge in my little head, and then get bored. That mildly helped during the so-called revival of competitive analyses, but unfortunately it was closed down. It was during that time that Forum Reorganisation was taking place, and the idea of Articles came out. Eventually a discussion started on it, and I became an active poster in the discussion. Eventually, I put up the beta for the Articles Assignment thread. There were many things I wished to do with the project and that could have been only possible had I been one of the leaders so here I am.

Do you have any plans to tie Articles in with current and future projects within PO?

E.T.: There will probably always be room for new types of articles as long as there are people who are willing to make them. PO News will continue to offer brief insight into whatever happens to be going on within the PO community, and this includes news about other projects. We’ve discussed the possibility of making an article series to cover Official Tournament news, which might be something that we look into during team tournaments.

Joyverse: Along with the things E.T. mentioned. If PO YouTube ever manages to resurface, then we'd probably tie a few articles along with it. That is if PO YouTube comes back.

How can people get involved with Articles?

E.T.: Right now, we need people who can write articles and people who can check articles for grammar errors. The How to Become an Articles Contributor thread explains just that, and the review process can be seen in action in the Article Review subforum; however, only people with Articles Contributor access can post there. To get access, contact Joyverse and myself.

Joyverse: Well, first of all, they can post in the various released articles. Show us that they're getting involved with us. You know, like actually discussing a Pokémon or a move in its respective threads or asking an interviewed person questions. When the users then believe they are ready to be an Articles Contributor, then all they have to do is to PM us lol!

The next couple of questions are just for you, E.T.: As you were the final ORAS LC Tier Leader and PO League LC Gym Leader, what's your opinion on the final version of ORAS LC? How would you change it, in hindsight?

E.T.: I’m pleased with how the tier turned out. Our tier ended up being pretty similar to Smogon’s ORAS LC, but they banned Drifloon and kept Diglett, and we banned Diglett and kept Drifloon. I wouldn’t make any changes to the tier, but I would have liked for us to have more players.

You're also the SM LC Tier Leader. How is SM LC shaping up at the moment?

E.T.: SM LC is still a mess at the moment, but we are working on clearing out the most broken parts. Eevium Z and Z-Conversion were abominations that SM introduced, but they were quickbanned. Not surprisingly, Murkrow proved to be broken again this generation, so it was quickbanned as well. Misdreavus and Cutiefly were the first suspects, and both of those resulted in a ban (we REALLY need more people to post in suspects though). Meditite is currently being suspected (hint hint). Diglett and Gothita are also worth keeping an eye on because trapping abilities are continuing to grow more toxic, since new threats get added each generation.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer these questions, guys. As we're finishing up, is there anything else you’d like to say to our readers?

E.T.: If you are interested in contributing to PO, becoming an Articles Contributor is a good way to do it. Articles also give you a way to hone your writing / grammar skills while working on content that interests you.

Joyverse: AWAKEN MY MASTERS! \('-')/

Once again, I'd like to give a big thank you to both E.T. and Joyverse for this interview! You can check out the Articles project here: http://pokemon-online.eu/forums/164/. You can also check out the SM LC subforum by going here: http://pokemon-online.eu/forums/169/. Finally, you can check out the PO Facebook page over at https://www.facebook.com/posimulator.

If you've enjoyed this interview, you can nominate other people to be interviewed here, or you can contact @E.T. on the PO forums. Thank you for reading! Look out for the next interview, which should be coming soon!

E.T. and Joyverse - For Being Interviewed
    Professor Oak - Questions, Writer
    E.T. - Grammar
    pokemonnerd - Questions
    JoyFrost - Banner

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2017
  2. Joyverse

Joyverse Toki wo tomare!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    MY BODY IS READY TO ANSWER QUESTIONS.

p.s. Don't roast.

3. JoyFrost

JoyFrost I wasn't built to break~ Forum Moderator Server Administrator Social Media Rep Forum Moderator Server Administrator Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    JoyFrost
    @E.T. :
    • Favorite movie:
    • Favorite game:
    • Least favorite pokemon:
    • If you could be a TL on a different tier, what would it be? And Why?:
    • Favorite generation 7 starter:
    • Favorite LC pokemon (competitively):
    @Joyverse :
    • Least favorite pokemon:
    • Favorite game:
    • Favorite movie:
    • What's the "fun" side of being an Articles Leader?:
    • Embarrassing PO moment?:
    • Favorite tier:

Joyverse likes this.
  4. Joyverse

Joyverse Toki wo tomare!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse

JoyFrost likes this.
  5. E.T.

E.T. K I N G Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    @JoyFrost

Favorite Movie: E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial I don't really have a particular movie that comes to mind as my favorite. Star Wars, Pirates of the Caribbean, Lord of the Rings / The Hobbit, X-Men, Spider-Man (with Tobey Maguire), Jurassic Park / World, and Shrek are some of my favorite movie series though.

Favorite Game: The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (3D). Majora's Mask is a masterpiece, and it has a well-executed and unique atmosphere. I've played through the game several times, but the game has so much depth that I still notice new things each time I play it. The (3D) eludes to the 3DS remake, which I think is better than the original due to several improvements to the game mechanics such as making it easier to save and keep track of the side quests.

Least Favorite Pokémon: Floatzel. It is obnoxious and annoying, and I seem to remember running into too many of them while surfing in at least one of the games.

TL for different tier: Honestly, I wouldn't want to be a TL for any other tiers. Being a TL for PO can be demoralizing at times because most of the people who still play PO seem to have zero interest to contributing to tiering. The LC suspects that we've had so far have had virtually no input. Activity ranting aside, I don't really feel knowledgeable enough about Ubers, OU, UU, or Side Metas to be a good TL anyway, and I can't imagine myself in a TL position for those tiers.

Favorite Generation 7 starter: ROWLET is the only possible answer. For reasoning, I'll provide an excerpt from the last Campfire Talk article that was about the starters:

Rowlet is the Pokémon that I used to play through Moon. I decided that I wanted to use Rowlet almost immediately after the starters were introduced because of its design. Rowlet’s design is based on an owl, and owls are cool. It also makes Rowlet somewhat unique because the only other owl Pokémon outside of the Rowlet line are Hoothoot and Noctowl. Rowlet is cute and fun because it can rotate its head all the way around during battle, and it is well dressed because it has a bow tie. Rowlet is also only the second starter in the series to have dual types.

Favorite LC Pokémon competitively: At the moment, it is probably LO Doduo because it has become quite fun to bird spam in SM now that it has completed its kung fu lessons (Jump Kick).

JoyFrost likes this.
  6. Professor Oak

Professor Oak Pimp Hand Strong Forum Administrator Server Owner Social Media Rep Forum Administrator Server Owner Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Professor Oak
    Hey, I don't scream. All of these "HMPH"s are all in your head.

Joyverse likes this.
  7. Joyverse

Joyverse Toki wo tomare!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    I'm bored.

@E.T.

1)Why tf havent't you signed up for POWC yet?
    2)What profession do you wanna be in?
    3)Roy Mustang or Greed?
    4)Are you interested in martial arts at all?
    5)Z-Conversion, Z-Trick-or-Treat and, Z-Forest's Curse: Broken or not?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2017
  8. E.T.

E.T. K I N G Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    @Joyverse

1)Why tf havent't you signed up for POWC yet?

I never sign up for team tours. I have a tendency to lose interest in forum tours due to the slow pacing and having to schedule with uncooperative / dead people. That's one thing for a singles tour, but it wouldn't be fair to my team if I started half-assing my way through the tour at some point. Team tours typically require more time and effort to prepare for matches than I am usually willing to dedicate to them as well.

2)What profession do you wanna be in?

Electrical engineering and / or software engineering.

3)Roy Mustang or Greed?

Roy Mustang. No contest.

4)Are you interested in martial arts at all?

Not personally, no. I took maybe one or two karate lessons when I was a little kid, and I've seen The Karate Kid the movie, but that's about it.

5)Z-Conversion, Z-Trick-or-Treat and, Z-Forest's Curse: Broken or not?

Z-Conversion was broken in LC, and that's why it was banned. On Porygon-Z, it is broken in UU, but it is probably an inferior option on Porygon2. I don't think Z-Trick-or-Treat is broken in LC because the secondary effect isn't has helpful as Conversion (Conversion changes the users type so that they can get a new STAB type), and Pumpkaboo isn't really built to be a sweeper. I haven't tried Phantump yet, but I think it suffers from the same problems Pumpkaboo does, but in addition to that, changing the foe to a Grass-type is much less helpful than changing them to a Ghost-type (type that resists one of your STAB types vs type that you can hit super effectively), and Phantump's movepool gives it a lot less to work with.

Joyverse likes this.
Moderators: E.T.