1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, due to a lack of interest, playerbase, and general desire to continue, PO will hereby cease our separate tiering and adopt Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[Metagame] Suspect Discussion: Latios

Discussion in 'Gen 7 UU' started by Xdevo, Mar 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xdevo

Xdevo Sp00pyScarySkeleton Super Moderator Tour Director Super Moderator Tour Director

Discuss the possibility of Latios being banned from the SM UU tier.
    Use this thread to discuss Latios' impact on the metagame. Talk about the different sets it is capable of using, and potential checks/counters. State your opinion on the suspect and if it should or shouldn't be banned from the metagame. Having no firm stance on the matter is fine too.​

All opinions are valid and discussion among players is not only allowed but encouraged, provided your opinion has solid reasoning and displays having playing with or against the suspect in the tier. Do not simply state "it's broken" or "it's not broken".​

Users that are unsure about suspect posting are encouraged to check this guide out.​

2. E.T.

E.T. Proud Member Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    The only Latios set I've seen or used so far has been a Defog support set with Life Orb boosted Draco Meteor, Psyshock, Hidden Power Fire / Roost, and Defog. Draco Meteor can be an extremely effective nuke, and Psyshock can discourage specially bulky Pokemon from switching in recklessly. Clefable can absorb Draco Meteors, but it has to be careful about switching into Psyshock. Bisharp can be problematic due to Sucker Punch and possibly absorbing Defog to get a Defiant boost, but it also has the chance to be OHKO'd by Hidden Power Fire on the switch after Stealth Rock damage, so it is risky to switch it in. Jirachi resists both of Latios's STAB moves and can threaten to Thunder Wave back. Umbreon can switch in and threaten Latios with Foul Play. Even though I've been using a support set, I have noticed that Latios still applies a lot of pressure to teams due to its base 110 Speed tier and strong STAB moves, but it can also be left vulnerable at times after using Draco Meteor. At the moment, I'm leaning toward the ban side.

La.Melle2402 likes this.
  3. fsk

fsk Kept Hacking Forum Moderator Server Moderator Tour Director Forum Moderator Server Moderator Tour Director

PO Trainer Name:
    fsk
    With a good speed tier of 110, great SpA and a really strong STAB Draco possibly combined with LO or Soul Dew, everyone would agree that Latios is a big threat in the current UU meta, but when it comes to the reasoning of (possibly, if not certainly) banning it I cannot convince myself just by saying "it is good and broken." So it took me sometime to come up with the following:

(I would assume the LO set with Dual STAB + HP fire/Defog/Recovery as the default one here since idk how scarf functions in the current uu)

Its typing gives it resistance to water, grass, electric, and fire attacks while levitate gives it general ground moves immunity except TA from Zygarde-10%. Therefore it has a good number of opportunities to switch in despite its somewhat underwhelming bulk. (good predictions are needed though) The LO set functions like a hit-and-run attacker while offering offensive checks to a bunch of common threats that would otherwise ruin a balance build.

In addition, it is actually better than just a hit-and-run attacker, as it functions as one of the few offensive defoggers and therefore can be easily slapped on an offensive-oriented balance build that would appreciate the field clean.

One thing that originally make me hesitant is that the common fairy, steel and dark type in the meta can all check or threat it, esp. the pursuit Bisharp/Weavile. However, as a hit-and-run attacker it actually doesn’t find being forced out that much painful as long as the build fits (it has momento too if you really worry about the SpA drop momentum loss, but i didn’t really see anyone use it), and (as E.T. above already said) it could potentially OHKO Bisharp on the switch after SR with HP fire, while OHKOing Weavile with Draco. As long as it can punch holes and give out pressure while at the same time offering support to teammates, it gets what it wants.

Anyway, as a great threat that finds its spot easily on many teams, punches holes and offers pressure, support teammates by defogging etc., and sometimes requiring multiple checks to deal with it, Latios should be banned from the UU meta. Although I would admit there are a good number of broken elements just as threatening, such as Tornadus-T, Serperior, Thunderus, Terrakion, Breloom, Drizzle team and many more. But let’s start taking action as this takes time to make a playable meta, and we should look at those others in the near future.

4. Xdevo

Xdevo Sp00pyScarySkeleton Super Moderator Tour Director Super Moderator Tour Director

Latios is hereby banned.

While Latios does have a fair few checks, and the weakness to pursuit and sucker punch is troublesome, Latios brings a lot of fire power to the table, which alongside the bulk and pretty nice defensive typing, means that latios has no trouble repeatedly switching into play to blow holes in opposing cores.

La.Melle2402 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.