1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Player Interview: sulcata

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Joyverse, Mar 18, 2017.

Moderators: E.T.
  1. Joyverse

Joyverse Road Roller time!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    [​IMG]

Hi, and welcome to another edition of Player Interview! Today, we are interviewing sulcata! He is one of the Tiering Administrators of Pokémon Online. He also leads Side Metagames and Battle Factory. Not just that, he's also one of the owners of the #Tournaments channel along with being an Administrator on the Server! Let's see what he has to say!

Hi!
    sulcata: Hi.

How did you first find Pokémon?
    sulcata:
    I got Pokémon Crystal for my birthday or something; I can't really remember exactly. Played the shit out of it until I lost interest for a while. Eventually, Sapphire came out, which is probably tied for my favorite game in general. I'm pretty sure I ended up playing 500 hours or something like that.

How did you first find PO?
    sulcata:
    I found Smogon when I was looking for in-game sets. Downloaded PO back in January 2012 when Smogon still used PO and when we had 1k+ users. Used some stupid OU teams with Chople Berry Flamethrower Blissey. Pretty much just lurked for six months before I actually started talking to people. Became a Monotype ladderfag and innovated some shit with Steel (Psychic Genesect, Roar Empoleon, Protect spam, etc). Joined a Monotype league that kind of ended up in the stupid drama one comes to expect of kids on a Pokémon sim. A few months after that, Battle Factory became a thing, I applied, and that's how I got involved with staff things.

What is it like being both the Tiering Admin and Side Metagames TL? Does it create any conflict with activities not related to PO?
    sulcata:
    It doesn't really conflict with anything, since it's not like I need to get anything done at specific times of the day. Sometimes, I'll be a bit too busy or lazy to deal with things. There really isn't anything to do as tiering admin, just make sure there are TLs performing their roles.

What is your favorite Side Metagames tier?
    sulcata:
    Gen 5 Monotype. Didn't particularly care for Gen 6 and haven't gotten the chance to really play Gen 7. I miss easy hail wins, make Steel great again, etc. Genesect will always be legal in my heart </3. Also, I've got a lot of nostalgia with laddering against some friends that aren't around anymore.

What is your favorite main tier (including past generations)?
    sulcata:
    GSC OU.

What is your favourite and least favourite Pokémon?
    sulcata:
    Favorite is my Hoenn starter Swampert. I don't know if I really have a least favorite. I could do without Infernape shitting all over every Steel team in Gen 5, though :[.

What is the origin of your username? Also, what's the story behind SUL! CAH! TAH!?
    sulcata:
    Pet tortoises. There was a Skype call I was listening in on with Elements, Key, Professor Oak, Halsey, Crystal Moogle, uso, and a few other people I think (pretty sure Xdevo was there too). People were wondering how my username is pronounced, and Elements thought it looked like the name of some African tribe's chief, so he started saying things like "My name is SOOL-CA-TAH". I guess the Africa part isn't totally wrong, since they're in Sub-Saharan Africa. Shoutouts to euwoooo and Key's delicious mustached face. Oak also taught me that it's possible to have an eargasm.

How would you say that the last generation of Side Metagames ended up?
    sulcata:
    More or less good. Certain tiers like Inverted Battle and Sky Battle were kind of completely shit, but there wasn't a whole lot that could be done. I regret that we didn't focus on tiering Middle Cup more; I think it could've been a pretty viable alternative for NEU, since usage wasn't really usable. Monotype turned out pretty OK, but banning weather rocks probably would've been for the best. 1v1 turned out fine.

What are your opinions on the current state of Gen 7 Side Metagames?
    sulcata:
    Ban it all. It's too early to tell, and I really haven't played a whole lot. Kind of disappointed that Knock Off didn't actually get nerfed. There's probably a lot of things that need banning before it's stable and playable, although it really depends on how the metagame evolves.

What are your thoughts on the current state of the Tournaments channel? Do you have any ideas about how to improve it?
    sulcata:
    Unfortunately, very dead. No ideas in particular, but I'm open to suggestions (bar merging with tohjo, that was utterly ineffective). Overall we need better coding, less bugs, a working webclient, and so on. Some users insist on running the clock down to a minute left just to make a decision, which is kind of cancerous and makes people drop out of the tour from having to wait 8-12 minutes per round. There should probably be some additional timer rule or shorter clocks (something like showdowns).

What are your thoughts on Battle Factory? Do you have any ideas about how to improve it?
    sulcata:
    Aside from coding new things like past generation Battle Factory tiers and more restrictions to create better teams, not really. The biggest problem is that people complain about things and want to change them but have no idea where to go (#Battle Factory). Other than that, I think Battle Factory is fine.

Do you have any advice for people who might be interested in contributing to tiering, Tournaments, or Battle Factory?
    sulcata:
    Talk in chat. Not going to notice anyone unless they're active. Post in suspect discussions, ask MUs to fill the queue, submit sets, etc. MUs regularly recommend others for MU; it's actually how the majority of promotions happen. Try not to get involved in arguing with other users too much, though, since it's a bit of a red flag.

Do you have anything else to say to our readers?
    sulcata:
    Traps aren't gay.
    Build a wall around India.

Thanks sulcata for taking your valuable time for this interview!

You can also check the Generation 7 Discussions here, and you can check out server tournaments by joining the fray at the #Tournaments channel on the server or by visiting the Server Tournaments subforum!

If you have any questions for sulcata, feel free to ask!

If you've enjoyed this interview, you can nominate other people to be interviewed here, or you can contact @E.T. on the PO forums. Thank you for reading! Look out for the next interview which can pop out anytime!

sulcata - Interviewee
    Joyverse - Writer
    Sobi - GP
    E.T. - GP, QC
    JoyFrost - Artist

Do you want to contribute to Articles too? Here's How to Become an Articles Contributor.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2017
    JoyFrost and E.T. like this.
  2. Draciel

Draciel Ciao Adios I'm Done

PO Trainer Name:
    Draciel/Neo
    hey dad

Hurricane, sulcata and Joyverse like this.
  3. Joyverse

Joyverse Road Roller time!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Yes.

No.

1)When did you adopt Draciel?
    2)What's you favourite food?
    3)What's your preferred playstyle?
    4)Why according to you is Corey a God-Tier waifu?
    5)Will Aegislash be retested in Monotype this gen by any chance, iyo?
    6)How did I manage the Monotype tour (props to E.T.)?
    7)But do you like Corey more than Joiner?
    8)When do a "How to Monotype" article? I pay in Tacos and Burritos.

sulcata likes this.
  4. Hannah

Hannah Come a little closer

PO Trainer Name:
    Hannah
    Traps are most certainly not gay.

5. sulcata

sulcata cory is #1 bae Tiering Administrator Server Administrator Tiering Administrator Server Administrator

hey son, i love u. make sure to put on ur anal wart cream while ur away from home.

1) one day i was fucking around in the tours channel and i think i promoted him to MU or smth. then he became an owner and left the nest. they grow up so fast.
    2) idk if I have any particular favorite. bbq, mexican food, and cuban food are all pretty good. There's this japanese/thai place that has really good curry. depends on what im in the mood for.
    3) gay. I tend to bring things that people find kind of obnoxious. Gen 5 Monotype was a lot of hazard stacking with Steel and clicking substitute+protect on Ice, I take full credit for making those as completely cancerous as they were. I tend to bring kind of slower teams in gsc, although it entirely depends on my mood. Gen 6 Monotype I mostly played Steel, although it was less hazard spam and more bulky offense. Haven't figured out gen 7 monotype yet.
    4) he is kawaii sugoii af and he'll fuck ur shit up fam
    5) It'll probably get retested, but much further down the road.
    6) excellent, nobody complained to me so i didnt need to intervene at all
    7) no, joinr is bae. makes corey look like a shit tier fuccboi. no fux with the jong
    8) no hablo mexicano

only if it's a feminine penis and the balls dont touch

Joyverse likes this.
  6. DracoNova

DracoNova Cherlene's #1 fan

PO Trainer Name:
    DracoNova
    1. what does it feel like to be always submissive to me in the god tier of metronome.

2. I'm better than draciel in every way (yes/oml definitely / Indians are only good at clicking buttons)

3. Do you ever miss those times where i condomlessly raped your ground mono with steel.

4. Remember those times when i said you were a competitively player (yeh me neither)

5. Beaners are the backbone of the all white privilege land?

6.Panties or woman's briefs.

7.When was Carl Murray not some random weaboo ?

8. Exact representation of PO right now?

[​IMG]

dont die on me, I will have no one to rape

sulcata likes this.
  7. sulcata

sulcata cory is #1 bae Tiering Administrator Server Administrator Tiering Administrator Server Administrator

1. at least i can play a real tier, like monotype xd
    2. as the only good indian, nobody is better than dracl
    3. u got that a little backwards there bud. ur the one who made the biggest steel cteam with ground and managed to still lose giving me a record of like 112-3. try harder fgt
    4. remember when u got gud
    5. hola, burrito, taco
    6. panties you mongoloid
    7. i 'member
    8. https://imgur.com/a/Bdf0f

draconova bad lol

Hurricane, Joyverse and DracoNova like this.
  8. NananaBatman

NananaBatman Well-Known Member

I hate you and your swagger qwilfish, you're the reason I dislike GSC UU.

sulcata likes this.
  9. Kingler12345

Kingler12345 Member

gay af lmao

sulcata likes this.
Moderators: E.T.