1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[Community] Save PO!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Espeon Adam, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Espeon Adam

Espeon Adam New Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Neko Adam
    Hello. This thread is specifically directed to @Professor Oak and I believe @Annoying Orange as well.

I know you all se it too, our PO Home is DYING! I think we need to either add new advertisers, or perhaps come up with a reward system for advertising PO. When I first started playing, (Espeon Adam, Owner, #Mahomie RP) 4-5 years ago this place was lively as all heck. I recently was allocated more free time(the Navy is a HUGE life commitment, time wise) and came back to a dead server.
    Of course, this is all very grassroots, and hypothetical at this point, but anyone who has played for approximately 3+ years would clearly see this difference.
    I'm full of suggestions, should any applicable person desire them.
    Thanks for reading, If this is im an improper place, could one of the forum auths move the post?

LONG LIVE PO
    LONG LIVE THE ESPEON MONARCHY
    -Adam

Jethalal, HSOWA and Annoying Orange like this.
  2. Professor Oak

Professor Oak same Forum Administrator Server Owner Social Media Rep Forum Administrator Server Owner Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Professor Oak
    This isn't directly relevant to development, so I'm moving it to General Chat.

Rewards for advertising PO? I'm unsure exactly what you mean by this: PO does not have the funds to pay people to advertise PO; being given authority in response to having revenue come in or for advertising PO is a move that I find amoral, and it would be widely criticised by a lot of people; and the only other reward that could be given would be Safari rewards, the only purpose of which being a potential slight improvement of enjoyment in a game which has a declining number of users. If you have any better ideas, then feel free to mention them, but I currently see no way to reward advertisements that would be universally accepted.

With regards to methods of advertisement: Our social media accounts are currently more active than they have been at any other point in the history of PO; we are unable to proceed with our YouTube channel or streaming ventures due to various issues surrounding access, advertising revenue and the sheer time and effort required for it; PO's own internal advertisements are being posted more often (see: Articles) and are being kept up to date more often (registry announcement for PC clients, front page of the PO website with the latest Articles); and we have a few users who have a small outside influence who regularly mention PO to try and get a few users to try it out. Again, if you have any better ideas, I'm all ears.

Ultimately, PO has been in a steady decline since the "Swordfish" incident, when a large amount of contributors left for other ventures due to the poor leadership at the time (a fair portion of those contributors ended up becoming notable contributors or staff on Smogon, for example). We have actively tried to keep our usercount up and to try and keep PO active in various means since then, but PO has steadily declined despite our best efforts.

There isn't any motivation for contributors to stick around, even if we try to reward them with authority, badges, shoutouts, whatever we can. Every single one of the contributors to this website, myself and all developers included, uses their own time and effort to try and help PO out in every way they can (and in the cases of a rare few, their own money too). There's no financial incentive, and people are leaving more and more as more and more of their friends also start to leave. No one wants to see PO decline, but ultimately, it is doing so, and it will likely continue to do so. Unless some sort of miracle happens, and we suddenly have a large selection of active developers who can make every client the very best it can be with relatively little effort, surpassing every other known simulator out there, I fail to see what PO's unique selling point is at the moment, and I'm one of the guys currently in charge here. If I can't see how to help PO out, who can?

3. Espeon Adam

Espeon Adam New Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Neko Adam
    All so true, and morbidly so.
    That's why I'm here, to help with ideas. Trust me, auth is to me, as cigarettes are to someone who doesn't smoke anymore:repugnant. SO anything I say is out of my own personal opinion. I don't seek, or in any way want a reward. I want to help.

Now, contributors is the main issue, it seems. I'm assuming you mean fresh content. I have plenty of ideas, but only very basic and generic coding skill, so obviously my idea would have to be matched with an appropriate coder.
    Sadly, PO is almost strictly word of mouth at this point so motivating players to pass it along is both impractical and unlikely. It seems to me, four or five years ago the player base and attitude is largely similar. The server itself has all the draw it needs, its just getting the word out. I make a living salary, and believe you me, the Navy does NOT pay as well as it appears. I'm not terribly against donating from time to time to assist with server cost, etc. And I would do it because I enjoy this place.
    I used to be the owner of one of the most prestigious channels, and I'm apparently one of around 6 remaining players from there. When people leave, friends follow.

The biggest hurdle appears to be advertising, I'll stand staunchly by that. Rewards were only mentioned, because hey? People in general are largely motivated by greed, not because its nice to do.

If you'd like, I'll compile a list of possible advertising spots that I could personally obtain/purchase myself for here.

I understand your situation Oak, and the sh*t sucks. However I'm unwilling to let PO die, even if I'm at loss of what can be done.

I'm committed to at very least, prolong Armageddon: PO, and have a VERY personal reason to be so commuted. My inbox is free to hit, for ANYONE, with ANY kind of idea.

Long live PO

--- Post updated ---
    Thanks for the thread move Oak, by the way. I feel like while imbibing, Development looks identical to Discussion. FML.

4. Annoying Orange

Annoying Orange sweet creature Server Moderator Social Media Rep Server Moderator Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    I thought you had your own ideas and from reading the recent post, you're asking for others. I have this same mindset of wanting PO to be what it was before I left for a couple years.

Coincidentally a lot of other people left around the time I did and this was a year or two after swordfish. Unlike you, I don't currently have a bright idea(s) on just what will make PO better. I do know it'd be easy if it were able to be funded, maybe a gofundme or something similar can help where contributors of PO can help fund things we need such as advertisement and diversity. Hell, the only reason I came back is because I missed PO. It's a bit weird, I have friends, a life and work but I like some of the people I met here and before here.

So please pitch your ideas because really there isn't a loss here.

Espeon Adam likes this.
  5. Espeon Adam

Espeon Adam New Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Neko Adam

Good attitude, for such an ugly Orange (LOL)
    I met my fiancée here, which is so amazingly ludicrous in itself. Our marriage ceremony is next month on the 11th BTW. I know that stuff never happens, it's just my personal reason for my conviction.

I have 0 problem assisting with funding, @Professor Oak, link where I can donate?

A gofund me is.top in my mind of good ideas. I'm ABSOLUTELY thrilled to here that funding is a major issue tbh. That's a identified problem, and a fixable one to boot.

I can see about passing a proverbial collection plate myself. Since my first post, I've garnered 2 interested parties.

6. Annoying Orange

Annoying Orange sweet creature Server Moderator Social Media Rep Server Moderator Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    I'll have you know I modeled.

Espeon Adam likes this.
  7. Espeon Adam

Espeon Adam New Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Neko Adam

"Orange Women's Quarterly"
    XD

8. Joeypals!!

Joeypals!! Don't you worry 'bout a thing~

PO Trainer Name:
    Joeypals
    Just gonna plop this down -- since YT is a bit bunk right now, but me being the person I am with the connections I have, maybe we can make a new channel but that seems unlikely. We could also go the Twitch route, we just need someone/some people willing to stream and gain an audience to redirect anywhere besides Discord.

This is the latest in a long line of attempts to revive PO, and I feel like now might be the very last time we can pull it off. So advertising ideas, let's hear them.

9. Fuzzysqurl

Fuzzysqurl baa baa mareep I do what I want Server Owner Developer I do what I want Server Owner Developer

There have been a dozen ideas over the years on what to do but it ultimately boils down to people not wanting to put in effort. There are great ideas but most of the time the people with those ideas never do anything, which is why I've grown to hate "idea people".

The wiki is a prime example. You have people like me, ete, Aurist, and Spoovo that put in effort to the wiki only to be let down when articles never materialized. We had the ability to keep UPC through the wiki but no one cared to put in effort to do so. As a result, I believe the site is now only available through archive sites.

With that in mind, I'd suggest a bikini car wash to raise money and interest.

10. pokemonnerd

pokemonnerd Only uso listens to pnerd. Devo too. Article Contributor Article Contributor

The wiki failed for many reasons, and some people could even say ete didn't help it succeed much, in hindsight. Coming up with an amazing idea and ultimately being a good leader of the project that sprouts from said idea are leagues away from being the same thing.

PO has been in a dying/rough state simply because we basically turned into a niche community after the Swordfish stuff happened. I still love checking in with everyone but after a large portion of the competent competitive staff left there wasn't much to keep people's drives going.

When a huge exodus like that happens just as a community is getting large and noticeable, it takes a lot of luck to get back on its feet and we didn't really get that. I don't mind people trying to revitalize the site with things like the articles section and such, people just need to temper their expectations.

Edit: This being said, I don't see a problem with making a new youtube channel. If anything it'll just fail and burn to the ground, and it's better than going "lol youtube channel? See that decrepit, rotting building that's locked so none can get in? Yeah that's our youtube channel."

It gives people something to do and there's no harm in doing it since it only wastes time for the people trying to make it work if it does crash and burn.

Plus I don't think we have someone like eternal who we'd trust with a password right now as well. Meaning less of a chance of that happening again.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
    Joeypals!! likes this.
  11. Espeon Adam

Espeon Adam New Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Neko Adam
    Well, it seems all the author are content to let their server die. It saddens me. Oh well, I'll be sticking around in game until the server crashes. If any of the author decide to try and help let me know via inbox. You can close this thread, for lack of interest. Thanks for your time @Professor Oak and @Annoying Orange ! Love y'all! <3

12. Xdevo

Xdevo Phrasing Super Moderator Tour Director Super Moderator Tour Director

I'm not sure why people think we haven't tried to stop PO from dying lol

PO's death is partly due to poor leadership, partly due to the failure of the webclient, partly due to the lack of the backing of the largest Pokemon community and all of the perks that brings (higher google results and a contributing players).

We've tried multiple times to revive PO: we've tried to restart the YT a few dozen times, tried making more articles / analyses, tried PO League, tried adding more official tours and rewards, tried giving away badges for server activities, tried giving away rewards for contribution. There's not been any lack of trying to attract players.

Hell, in the past month I've donated $105 of my own money to try to get more people to join the big official tours and that obviously didn't help. If 100+ USD isn't going to get people here, there's not much that will.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
    Zoroark, Joeypals!!, buny and 8 others like this.
  13. Email

Email reformed xd

PO Trainer Name:
    Email
    How to save po

1. Kill PO

2. Save money

3. Put blood sweat and tears into revamping PO

4. Call it something different

5. buy sponsors

6. Profit????

Yttrium likes this.
  14. Zoroark

Zoroark Rakugaki Forum Moderator Server Moderator Forum Moderator Server Moderator

PO Trainer Name:
    SkyPhoenix / Zoroark
    Yeah...that sounds pretty easy.

15. Hurricane

Hurricane Ooooh colors Server Moderator Server Moderator

PO Trainer Name:
    Hurricane