1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[Community] E.T.'s 1000th Post

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by E.T., May 6, 2017.

1. E.T.

E.T. METAMORPHOSIS! Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    E.T.'s 1000th Post

Well, it looks like I’ve made it to 1000 posts, so I guess it is time to make one of these before I use it on something else.

Discovering PO
    I first discovered Pokémon Online in late 2011 by viewing some YouTube videos of people playing it. Back then, PO probably had 1100 to 1200 people on the server most of the time, and I can remember liking PO so much that I stayed up all night playing PO a few times (I don’t think I’ve played anything else that much tbh). I don’t remember much about my first team, but it was a BW OU team with Prankster Leech Seed Whimsicott, and it annoyed quite a few people to death (or rage quits at least). At the time, Tohjo Falls and the OU ladder were the only parts of PO I had explored, and I stopped playing after about a month due to focusing more on classes and other things.

Exploring Tiers and Tournaments
    The following spring, I started playing PO again, and I battled someone who was using a cat team (Persian, Purugly, etc). I thought this seemed like a good idea at the time, so after building several themed teams (monkey team, fish team, hitmon team, etc), I discovered lower tiers and the Tournaments channel. Eventually, beating people with themed teams got old (and also didn’t happen very often due to the teams being garbage), so playing in Tournaments encouraged me to build new teams and try new tiers, notably Little Cup and RBY OU. I do remember playing a lot of BW 1v1 and BW Ubers 1v1 though. I got busy with classes again after the summer, so I mostly stopped playing again for a while. In 2013 (I think), I had some success on the LC ladder and managed to top it a few times. I’m still not sure how Yanma was legal back then, but I remember it being very prominent. Overall, I don’t think I played PO as much during this time period though, but I did discover the forums at some point—probably through LC discussions.

Tournaments Part II
    In mid to late 2014, I found myself with more time than ever to play PO due to recovering from some serious health problems. I ended up being very active in the Tournaments channel and had some success on the leaderboard (partially due to getting better and partially due to there being less competition), and I was promoted to Megauser by @sulcata in October. I finished in first place on the leaderboards for the first and only time in November. I typically didn’t go for the top spot on the leaderboard because it took a ridiculous amount of time to be able to play enough to do that. Tbh, I think my main reason for doing it then was that @Joeypals!! won the leaderboard the month before, and I felt compelled to end his reign of tyranny. I think he frequently bragged about it in the chat to the point that it annoyed me, or something to that effect.

The Inaugural Old Generations Tournament
    Around this time, I entered my first Official Tournament, the Inaugural Old Generations Tournament. My first opponent was inactive, so my first match was against @Zamrock in Round 2. It was a terrible hax-filled series on both sides, but somehow, I narrowly ended up winning. In Round 3, I made it past @During Summer in a close series, and then in Round 4, I beat @Ortheore, who had somehow made it that far into the tour without having to battle anyone (iirc he actually just posted something in the signup thread and wasn’t interested in joining, but got put in the tour anyway). Finally, I was eliminated in the quarter-final because @Finchinator taught his Starmie how to dodge Explosions, and he went on to win the tour.

Side Channel Adventures
    I started playing around in some of the other side channels in late 2014 / early 2015. I really enjoyed Trivia games, so I started playing a lot and submitted a few questions. It didn’t take too long before I was promoted to TA by @Ascarotte. I played Hangman a little bit, and I still play Hangman on rare occasions, but overall, it just didn’t appeal to me as much. I played Mafia for a brief period of time, and I felt accomplished for winning the first Mafia game that I played (I think it was just Metronome or RNG though). There were also a lot of fun moments of people automatically accusing me of being the alien in Space Invaders until one day nobody did, and I actually was the alien, which is where my signature came from. I stopped playing Mafia shortly after that because someone yelled at me for being a bad Zelda or something like that.

Late 2015
    I got promoted to server mod by @Weavile during the summer. I think it was also during this time period that I served as the Inverted Battle Gym Leader for the PO League, which was the first time I got to be a gym leader. As the year approached its end, Safari was added to the server, and a lot of players started spending most of their time there, so the activity in the other side channels declined. At the end of the year, I was getting ready to change jobs and was starting to lose interest in PO, so I decided to leave after some people that I looked up to left as well.

Trivia Events
    After a few months, I had some free time again and missed some people from PO, so I came back and started contributing again. It didn’t take long before I was re-promoted to mod and TA by @Draciel and Ascarotte, respectively. I started playing Safari during this time and enjoyed playing there. Trivia was pretty inactive around this time, so I started trying to convince people to have some kind of Trivia / Safari crossover. Event games are what we ultimately decided on, so I added events to the Trivia script, which made me interested in doing more scripting for PO.

Promotions and Hunger Games
    I served as the ORAS LC Gym Leader for the Summer 2016 PO League, and around this time, I was promoted to ORAS LC Tier Leader by Draciel, and this was my first mod position of the forums. This was also around the time that the first Hunger Games Game happened, which created the greatness that is Fire Lord @Water. Tragically, this is also the game in which I was murdered by toxic berries. In the fall, shortly after the forum format was reorganized, there was a discussion about a potential new project, which eventually became Articles. After contributing a lot of ideas to the discussion, I volunteered to lead the project and was promoted to Articles leader, along with @Joyverse. It was also during this time that @Zoroark and I became moderators for the Help subforum. Within the past few months, I’ve also become a channel leader for Trivia, SM LC TL, Server Admin, and Super Moderator for the forums.

Conclusion
    PO continues to be a community that I am happy to be a part of, and I hope to see PO keep going for a long time to come. There's a lot more people and events that probably could have been mentioned in this post, but I think it is long-winded enough as it is. Thanks for taking the time to read all of this (or if you didn’t, I can’t say that I blame you).

Shout Outs?
    I’m not going to try to list shout outs here because I hate when people do shout outs and forget people, and I know I can’t list everyone who deserves one.
    If you want a shout out, post :baa: (we should probably add the other Pokémon at some point), and feel free to leave questions or comments below.

Draciel, Hurricane, Zoroark and 7 others like this.
  2. Joyverse

Joyverse Back for a blast!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Gratzu my friend, I don't what to say but I kinda feel proud like how a brother should feel for his sibling. I don't need no s/o as I got one tbf but obligatory :baa2:is obligatory.

Please start watching JoJo ;_;

E.T. likes this.
  3. pokemonnerd

pokemonnerd Only uso listens to pnerd. Devo too. Article Contributor Article Contributor

I have enough dedication to my favorite Pokémon to not need a specific forum tool for it [​IMG]

But yeah congrats man. You're a welcome addition to keeping this place alive.

E.T. likes this.
  4. E.T.

E.T. METAMORPHOSIS! Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    You have been a good friend and Articles co-leader. I know people give you a hard time sometimes for being, well, Joyverse, but don’t let that get to you. This place would be a lot less interesting without you here. I hope that your coding school is going / goes well. Unfortunately, I don’t foresee me developing an affinity for jojo any time soon, but you never know.

Thank you for your kind words. Speaking of Snorlax, I really enjoyed your Snorlax Through the Generations article and wish that you could make more like that when you have the time (though I can understand if your dedication to Snorlax prevents you from writing that much about other Pokémon). I hope that you also continue to offer QC and ideas for articles when you can because it does help and is appreciated, even though it may not always seem like it.

Joyverse likes this.
  5. Professor Oak

Professor Oak same Forum Administrator Server Owner Social Media Rep Forum Administrator Server Owner Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Professor Oak
    up to you if you want to do a shoutout for me or not, but I will publically state that without E.T., there'd be a lot of shit that's not as up-to-scratch as they currently are, and everyone should be thankful for that

Phone home, my friend. Phone home.

E.T. and Zoroark like this.
  6. Annoying Orange

Annoying Orange sweet creature Server Moderator Social Media Rep Server Moderator Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    welcome to the 1k club. though we dont talk that often you're a pretty cool, down to earth person :)

E.T. likes this.
  7. Zoroark

Zoroark Aka Flare Forum Moderator Server Moderator Forum Moderator Server Moderator

PO Trainer Name:
    SkyPhoenix / Zoroark
    So far I have to say that you've done quite a bunch of contributions in a relatively short time period. Your actions perfectly fit your user title, you are a proud Pokémon Online member who is devoted to seek the progress of this community regardless of how many people may say this is dead.

E.T. likes this.
  8. Draciel

Draciel ALLEZ! ALLEZ! ALLEZ!

PO Trainer Name:
    Neo
    Hey @E.T., you've come a long way and I'm so glad that I was the one who set you on the path. During my time I knew you were one of the few people who actually cared about PO and over time you've contributed a lot. Even though PO is barely alive now, you're one of the reasons why it's not buried 10 feet underground already. Keep it up man, cheers.

fsk, E.T. and EvilDingoRobot like this.